• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Some Kid Icarus: Uprising based ones
and hoo boy are these unpopular on these forums:
  • I feel like I'm the only person in the world that doesn't find Kid Icarus' meta humour funny.
    That whole schtick with "Super Bash Sisters" or Pit's comment about Nintendogs made me want to cripple the hands of whatever hack Youtube writer they hired to write the dialogue so they can't ever do this again.

As a result I am dreading when Kid Icarus codecs appear in Smash.
  • Pit's voice acting is arguably one of the worst I've ever heard. He constantly sounds like his voice is breaking, or he's trying to both whisper and shout at the same time, like he's stubbed his toe hard on something whilst he's in a library.

• Kid Icarus: Uprising is the most overrated video game on these forums bar none. The gameplay is solid, but you'd think it was the single greatest masterpiece ever produced the amount people had raved on about it.

• Palutena's gimmick is "have loadsa moves". None of which really stand out as exciting looking. I was expecting something more unique from her due to Smashboards love of the character, but instead she just seems to make up for her lack of personal feeling abilities by being given everything vaguely Kid Icarus: Uprising related. Quantity over quality in that department.

• Not quite as unpopular but Palutena has had by far the weakest trailer of the newcomers thus far. The best bits were when she wasn't in them. That doesn't exactly fill me with hope.
Other non KI disliking ones:
  • Lucas can get cut for all I care. He's a waste of character advertisement since the west is never getting Mother 3, nor is it likely to get remade, and Mother 3 isn't even that popular in Japan. At least Ness was released internationally.

• Takamaru is one of the least exciting potential newcomers I can imagine and I still cannot fathom his inexplicably large fanbase on these forums. The majority obviously don't have fond memories of his game growing up; most here didn't grow up either in the late 80s or the early 90s nor were they Japanese. So was it Nintendoland, Samurai Warriors 3 or watching clips of Captain Rainbow on YouTube that brought this generic looking samurai so much love?

• I care more about a character's fanbase mixed with importance to their series than how unique they are. This flies in the face of my fourth KI complaint, but all I read for a year on these boards was how damn unique she'd be.

• Marth still has the most boring moveset in the entire series. Practical, but boring.

• K. Rool, Mewtwo and Ridley are ridiculously overrated.

• That said, all three are far more deserving than any of the newcomers we currently have outside arguably the third parties.

• After seeing the Gematsu Leak's roster*, I want character DLC, and I don't care if it's paid. I hate having to wait 8+ years without potentially getting even one newcomer I vaguely like on the roster. I'd only spend that money on games I'll play less than Smash anyway.

May as well throw money at the thing I'll want to play for years to come and get new exciting toys than waste it on games I'm only half curious over. TF2 logic I guess.
*Yes I am aware that may not be ALL the newcomers, but still.

mariop476

Smash Rookie
  • I think that Kirby has two more reps that could possibly make it from its series, being Bandana Dee (whom I think would be great in this game), and Knuckle Joe (who has already been confirmed as an assist trophy).
  • I'd be heartbroken if Lucas were cut. He was my Brawl main, and he led to me getting into the Mother series. I also think his strengths/ weaknesses are overall better than Ness, but that doesn't mean I want to see him cut either.
  • Snake's gone. His moveset is being cut up and passed along to other people, and I couldn't care less. I hated him in regular Brawl, though he's pretty fun in Project M.
  • I feel that if there are any more 3rd parties, it should be Professor Layton. He's had 6 games on the (3)DS since 2007, a movie, and is an incredibly interesting character, whom I think has the possibility for an excellent moveset.
  • I'm liking WFT less and less as time goes on. I tried her out at Nintendo World, and none of her attacks had any power behind them.
  • Similarly, I'm disliking Palutena more and more as time goes on. I wish they'd stick with the standard model of giving characters specific sets of move variations, but instead, she has an absurd amount of special moves.
  • Also, I think Mother should have a third rep. I know it's a dead series, but there's more to it than the PK kids. Duster could make an excellent addition to the roster, and could be similar to Little Mac, but using lots of kicks and his legendary thief tools.
  • I don't think LOZ is getting another rep this time around. I would have expected Tingle if anyone. The only other possibilities I see are Toon Ganondorf (BECAUSE WE ALREADY HAVE TWO LINKS AND TWO ZELDAS), and Vaati.
  • I think Ganondorf having Captain Falcon's moveset is getting a bit stale. I feel the slower, stronger moveset should be moved to Black Shadow, and that Ganondorf should have some more magic based moves.
  • I think both F Zero and the Mother series need a whole lot more musical representation. Princia Ramode's Theme and Mind of a Thief come to mind.
  • I wish they'd give Toon Link some different weapons. I like that he plays similarly to Link on one level, but I also feel it makes Sakurai feel like he can't make Link too fast. If Toon Link had the Skull hammer for his side smash, the Deku leaf for his recovery, putting on the iron boots for his down air, and maybe even giving him the picto box as his side b to stun people would make him a much more meaningful character, instead of a faster, shorter Link.
  • They went for the four big characters from the early days of video games (Mario, Pac Man, Sonic, and Mega Man), yet they couldn't put in a second, with Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

I mostly like the newcomers so far. WFT, Miis, and Palutena are slight let downs as I mentioned earlier, but Little Mac is incredibly based on my gameplay with him at Nintendo World.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Some Kid Icarus: Uprising based ones
and hoo boy are these unpopular on these forums:
  • I feel like I'm the only person in the world that doesn't find Kid Icarus' meta humour funny.
    That whole schtick with "Super Bash Sisters" or Pit's comment about Nintendogs made me want to cripple the hands of whatever hack Youtube writer they hired to write the dialogue so they can't ever do this again.

As a result I am dreading when Kid Icarus codecs appear in Smash.
  • Pit's voice acting is arguably one of the worst I've ever heard. He constantly sounds like his voice is breaking, or he's trying to both whisper and shout at the same time, like he's stubbed his toe hard on something whilst he's in a library.

• Kid Icarus: Uprising is the most overrated video game on these forums bar none. The gameplay is solid, but you'd think it was the single greatest masterpiece ever produced the amount people had raved on about it.

• Palutena's gimmick is "have loadsa moves". None of which really stand out as exciting looking. I was expecting something more unique from her due to Smashboards love of the character, but instead she just seems to make up for her lack of personal feeling abilities by being given everything vaguely Kid Icarus: Uprising related. Quantity over quality in that department.

• Not quite as unpopular but Palutena has had by far the weakest trailer of the newcomers thus far. The best bits were when she wasn't in them. That doesn't exactly fill me with hope.
Quoting this to thank you for putting into words what I've wanted to say in this thread before, but couldn't find the proper way to express. I agree with everything here.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Ice Climbers can be cut and I wouldn't blink an eye. Whenever I make up rosters in my head or on paper, I always forget about them anyway. And Popo is useless once you gimp Nana out of the picture. So, eh.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
- Miis are Nintendo all-stars.
- Paluneta was the worst addition to the roster so far, and she also had the worst trailer.
- I don't think the roster is terrible so far.
- I don't think Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo are shoo-ins/necessery additions to the roster.
- Finally, I think Ridley is a boss. I just don't understand why so many people think he'll be playable.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, let's see...
- I was really upset when Tingle was disconfirmed. He was my preferred choice for a Zelda newcomer. :c
- I think all the newcomers shown till now make sense, except for Greninja.
- Palutena's trailer failed to impress me. I don't exactly understand the reason, but it's probably because Palutena did almost nothing in the animated part of her trailer. And looks like I'm not the only one who holds this opinion.
- Pac-Man's moveset has won me over.
- ROB was one of my favourite newcomers in Brawl, and I look forward to his Smash 4 reveal.

Now some more minor ones.
- I prefer's Ike's appearance in Brawl to his Smash 4 look.
- I think that custom movesets have a considerable chance of falling by the wayside once people are done experimenting with them.
- Palutena's artwork for the game is really bland. It's the exact same pose as her Uprising artwork.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Reading through the previous posts has given me a lot to think about, but here goes:
- NO MORE CLONES!! (with Luigi as the exception). I would be very happy if Falco, Wolf, Lucas, and all other clones were cut from Smash 4. At most, they would make appearances as alternate costumes.
- Tying into the above point (please don't shoot me) I wish Link would be cut from the roster and that only Toon Link would remain. Although Adult Link is an O12, the Link in the Legend of Zelda games has traditionally been a young boy. Furthermore, I find Toon Link to be a much more expressive character (facial expressions and such) than Link, which to me makes him more endearing as a character.
- I'm fine with Ness returning, he can even take the best of both his and Lucas' movesets .
- I want both Captain Falcon and Ganondorf to return. Captain Falcon would keep his current moveset, and Ganondorf would "appropriate" some of Mewtwo's moves to make him a different, more magic-based character.
- The above point implies that I hope Mewtwo does not come back, which is true, but I hope Jigglypuff does. I consider her and Kirby to be distinct enough that neither one needs changing (except Sing, which would hopefully receive a huge buff in range/duration, as it's her signature move.)
- I don't like the addition of Greninja (too similar to Sheik), and I believe Pokémon should be represented by first-generation Pokémon only since I consider it the best generation. As someone mentioned earlier, with only a few exceptions the Pokémon have been progressively less and less creative and/or "believable" (looking at you, Klefki and Vanillite evolutionary line). I'm on the fence about Lucario, since he was already in Brawl, but I think I would be okay with him being cut.
- I feel like there is an unusual amount of effort being made to include female characters in the game. I don't have anything against female characters in this or any other game, or women in general, and it makes sense to include them from a marketing standpoint, it's just something that's stood out to me for awhile now.
- Wii Fit Trainer (who does a have a male variation) would have been better as an Assist Trophy that used a less powerful version of her Final Smash, or just hopped around the stage doing various Yoga poses.
- Palutena should have been a stage boss instead of a playable character (look how many special moves she has!)
- I'm actually happy about the decision to split Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suit Samus, since they each have unique playstyles. Separating them also allows each individual of the pair to be developed to a greater depth, since they have to stand on their own two feet now. However, I wish that Sheik had been cut to make way for Impa, who is a distinct character from Zelda herself (and is "actually" a girl). There you go Nintendo, two birds (variety and women) with one stone.
- A side-effect of trying to add in more female characters is that, in some cases, they are over-sexualized in an effort to make them more appealing. Seriously, I know size-scaling doesn't apply in Smash, but try standing Samus next to Zero Suit Samus. There's no way those boobs are fitting into the chest-cavity of that suit, even if the Power Suit was paper-thin. The yellow high-heels I can live with, since they're supposed to enhance her physical abilities, but the boobs would honestly just slow her down, if anything. Then there's Palutena's reveal....it's been mentioned before so I won't get into too much detail about it, but basically all that twirling and thrusting her anime self did was kind of unnecessary.
- Going back to Samus, Metroid as a series does not need more character representation and Ridley should not be playable (not sure if this is an unpopular opinion anymore). SIze arguments aside, the whole premise of the Metroid series is that Samus Aran is the best of the best, a badass "lone-wolf" type bounty hunter who works alone and doesn't need the support of others to be strong. It's an integral part of her character, and saying she needs additional characters from her franchise goes against this notion (besides, we now have 2 separate Metroid representatives, Samus and Zero Suit Samus).
- I utterly despise Mii Fighters, they are a detriment to the game as a whole and the one saving grace is that they will not be playable online With Anyone. Their movesets bring no originality of any kind to the game. Honestly, Miis could have had their own fighting game and that would have been fine, since we already have the Villager to represent character avatars.
- I also dislike Pac-Man, it feels like he was thrown in there simply so people could play a 4-player FFA of the "classic" video game characters. In the game that he is most remembered for, the original Pac-Man, he doesn't even have arms or legs. He is literally a head with a mouth running from/chasing ghosts and eating dots/fruit. At least the other classic characters had some (minimal, to be sure) amount of personality to them, even in the early days.
- Olimar should be an alternate costume for Pikmin & ___. Alph, Brittany or Charlie should replace him as the main fighter.
- I would prefer if there was no DLC for this game at all. However, at the very minimum, there should be no character or item DLC for this game beyond costumes, all playable characters should be included in the final game. Stages, trophies, music, and other "extras" can be DLC I suppose, but I would much prefer if everything was just patched for free.
- On the subject of patches, (this isn't necessarily unpopular opinion but it must be said), Nintendo NEEDS to have balance patches/updates to the game, in order to avoid another Brawl Meta Knight situation, and in order to keep the game fresh and interesting as the years go on. I also want them to patch/update Smash 4 so that people won't try to create another Project: M out of it, as I'd rather play supported Smash 4 than yet another modding attempt at Melee 2.0.
- As long as continuous support/patching occurs for the game, I will be okay with Smash 4 being the last installment of the Smash Series.
- I'm disappointed that they will be releasing a peripheral for using Gamecube controllers with Wii U, because Smash 4 was going to be the game that finally forced me to buy Wii U Pro Controllers.
- Items should be included in the competitive scene, since being able to take advantage of changing conditions mid-battle shows more skill than being able to input the same two- or three-button sequence over and over again.
- Wave-dashing/L-cancelling/other techniques like this are just ways to cheese your way into pummelling range. Smash 4 should not include these because they essentially make you untouchable while you close the gap or hit your opponent. This lessens the quality of the gameplay because, as someone who posted earlier stated, it reduces the amount of interaction time between fighters by cutting down on the time that both fighters are vulnerable to one another. There is a natural risk to approaching the opponent when vulnerable, but to balance this natural risk there should be a much higher penalty for trying to widen the gap between fighters, or using camping strategies to gain an advantage. Essentially, the game should reward aggressive action rather than defensive, but make it so you actually have to walk up to the opponent and smack them rather than approaching in a way that you can't be touched but you can touch them, and/or have penalties for hanging back and projectile camping. This would make for a much challenging and engaging fighting game, since you couldn't just think "forget this chump, I'll just go in when I want and he can't do anything about it". Basically it would force both players to interact with one another more, since trying to avoid confrontation or pressure only at very specific times would invoke penalties that would outweigh the cost of avoiding combat. For example (it's a bad one but bear with me), if players took more damage from attacks when trying to run away than when trying to approach, it would make approaching your opponent head-on (while vulnerable yourself) a much more appealing option, since you could potentially trade damage rather than doing no damage and risking increased damage to yourself in the process. In the end, such a system would increase the importance of good decision-making and opponent-reading skills, which are more praise-worthy than being able to mash a couple of buttons a million times in a memorized sequence.
- Finally, (I swear I'm not trying to flame/hate with this one, honestly) I hope that with the release of Smash 4, people will discover that Smash 4 is not SSB64 2.0. It's not SSBM 2.0. It's not SSBB 2.0. It's a new beast entirely, and the best Smash ever. My biggest, most out-there hope is that all the other Smash scenes (64, Melee, Brawl, PM) will die out, and that EVERYBODY who loves Smash and the Smash Series (casuals and hardcores, alike) will only play this one game. Just imagine how deep the meta game could go if all the best players from each Smash game were playing and developing strategies and counter-strategies for one game. When combined with patch updates and officially-endorsed Nintendo tournaments, Smash 4 could grow to be one of the top competitive video game experiences of all time.
- Another reason I hope for this is that it could finally put an end to the unnecessary and baseless hate that occurs between some Melee fans and some Brawl fans. The Smash community as a whole needs unity, not division and bullying between distinct-yet-similar sub-communities. If we truly want Smash to be recognized as a real mental sport (e-sports are not a thing) that is supported, sponsored and endorsed by Nintendo and other companies (and we do want that), we must come together and present an image of professionalism, good sportsmanship, and courtesy towards our fellow Smashers, rather than the casual-bashing, trash-talking, disrespectful community we currently have (in some cases, not all).

Wow, I did not expect all that to come up. In any case, that's everything I can think of at the moment. Feel free to reply/debate me on anything you agree/disagree with, in PMs if it's not acceptable to do so in this thread. I'm open-minded and willing to change my views based on new information/insight (heck, I barely agree with some of the things I wrote, but they were potentially unpopular opinions, so in they went). If you're still reading at this point you deserve a medal, I don't have one to give you so I'll just say thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!

Apologies, but I don't have the mental capacity to come up with an efficient tl;dr

Boofer

Smash Ace
  1. I'm not looking forward to playing as Pacman at all.
  2. They could add as many Pokémon as they want, as far as I'm concerned. I even support an all Pokémon smash-style game, though it won't happen.
  3. Many fanboys may be against the Smash Bros. style being adopted by other developers, but I am all for it. The formula is just something that shouldn't be limited to Smash games, as long as it's done well, that is.
  4. I've only played one Fire Emblem game, but I wish we had a Mage instead of a Swordsman. Mages on the FE I played were just so badass; it should be explored.
  5. I'm mostly indifferent to Ridley, but I admit his morphology is odd for a playable character.
  6. I'd be fine if Jiggs, Game and Watch, ROB, Wolf, Toon Link, and Ice Climbers got replaced.
  7. Large/heavy characters should be balanced by other means besides simply speeding them up. Large/heavy characters should either have super armor, as someone said, or just be exponentially heavier in terms of knockback distance. I don't want speed to be the only way to win 1v1.
  8. Mega Man seems fairly boring to play as, and I prefer Mega Man X. I get the "nostalgia factor" but it's not that cool to me.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
I'm so happy Logsmash isn't developing this game :) So happy.

Another opinion: For some reason, I want Waluigi as a playable fighter.

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Oh, let me add some stuff I've said elsewhere but not in this topic:

DEAR GOD INTERNET STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT NO CLASSIC SONIC. Sonic's gameplay was tops in the Genesis but I don't give not two s***s or a single f*** about his design. His Unleashed to present design is the best. Get. Over. It.

If Sakurai was going to go the Mii route, I'm actually sorta miffed there's no MAGE Mii. When can I cast the spells that knocks the people down as Shanoa? Vivi? The Black Mage? Yue Ayase?

Mewtwo should give Jiggs the boot. Don't care about how easy or how unique Jiggs is. Especially with Lucas in danger Mewtwo can at least inherit Lucas's A moves.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My least wanted character is Ridley.
Not that he's a bad pick, but I don't like him. Irrationally.
Without reason.

I completely respect when other people like him, don't get me wrong. I just don't really like him. He never appealed to me as more than "boney purple dragon". It's not even the size that bugs me (because well, that argument is rather irrelevant). It's just... I don't like him.

Did I do the unpopular opinion thing right?

Last edited:

mariop476

Smash Rookie
  • I think that Pac Man looks like a lot of fun, and I'm extremely excited to try him out. Partly because he's Pac Man, and partly because he has his Pac Man World design (Nostalgia from Pac Man World 2, I guess).
  • I can't believe they only gave Pikachu slight color changes and hats again. I really wanted Pikablue, and some other total palette swaps. Same with Sonic, though his seem to have improved a lot since Brawl.
  • I'd embrace DLC if done properly. It shouldn't be expensive, and I'd want to see characters that likely aren't coming back (Mewtwo *cough*) put in as DLC before others.
  • I don't like the idea that there should be a cap on characters from a series. Mario, F Zero, Pokemon, and Mother all have a large cast of characters that would be suitable for the game. Mario- Capt. Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr, Daisy (If you're REALLY grasping), F Zero- Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, maybe an oddball like Pico (Who could be some disturbing Capt. Falcon/ Spacey hybrid), Pokemon- Mewtwo, Sceptile, Serperior (Who wouldn't want to play as a snake, since Snake himself is being cut?), and Hawlucha to name a few, Mother- Duster, Masked Man, Porky, Paula.
  • Similarly, I feel other series that have relatively few possible playable characters should be maxed out within the next three games, if not Smash 4 (Kirby, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Yoshi). As I see it, each of these series only has one or two possible newcomers. Kirby- Bandana Dee and Knuckle Joe, Metroid- Ridley and MAYBE one of the Hunters, LOZ- Tingle (Already deconfirmed :/), Toon Ganon, Yoshi- Kamek.

• I feel okay overall about the game so far. No feelings too big in either direction.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Without reason.

I completely respect when other people like him, don't get me wrong. I just don't really like him. He never appealed to me as more than "boney purple dragon". It's not even the size that bugs me (because well, that argument is rather irrelevant). It's just... I don't like him.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

courte

Smash Lord
I hope people spend less time discussing things outside of tactics and gameplay and more time playing. That said I hope they'll play the version they like. O hope people Don't think they have to conform to the hot new ish. You can play whatever you want. Would you want to play with someone who fiercely disagrees with generally accepted concepts and meta of a game? At the end of the day if you invite me to play brawl, and this isn't a flame, you'll end up not having a good time. Why? Because I wont be having a good time, and I wont be giving it my all. I'm not everyone but I think many of you know this feeling, of doing something with someone that they simply aren't that into.

The games and their scenes are different, there's no denying it. What needs to happen is not a grand unity, because that I simply silly. People simply Need t learn to live with one another, and maybe play more than one game. this is different from making a game that disagrees with you your main game just because.

Newer isn't always better. Nor is it always worse. But it I always different.

There should be a split in the series at this point. One smash series that panders to mostly the sillier and newer Characters In a very Mario party vein. There is a Subset or people whom think that the creators can do no wrong and whatever image they have in their head of how people should play must be followed.

And another set for the competitive. taking into account and listening to what fans say. both updated regularly with new characters, with the casual one more often than the hardcore. A game that is a fighter first and a smash second and as such has very little admonishments outside of making multiplayers matches better. no adventure, no Stadium, no extensive trophies, however a focused and ideal broaden of the stances on items and stages. New items /smash only items. New stage ideas that make the dreaded 'wake off' viable and never feel unjust. Realistic characters would have priority and very few would be In both games, so even if a butt hurt retinue wanted tingle in over vaati n a community vote to mess with the not bothering anyone 'hardcore scene, it wouldn't happen because he' be a shoe in for the casual version Along with waluigi. With Tripping and radical unbalance and delay After button press and random hp finalists.

I Like final smash but I don't like that the amount of damage needed to claim it is differentt every time. random.

I love smash bur I think a lot more can be done creatively

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Without reason.

I feel the same way about K. Rool.

But I still want him in the game to appease his fans. Just not nearly as much as I want other characters.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I like the Gematsu Leak in every aspect, I believe (there's not a single reason for not), and I think that all the additions will be great;... BUT.. I'm hoping to see more newcomers than the ones mentioned in the leak.... mainly 'cause Palutena, Rosalina and Greninja were added (characters and/or series, that, in my opinion, don't needed to have a newcomer... or at least, not in this entry of Smash Bros. series);... to explain better my feeling: if Kid Icarus, Super Mario and Pokémon can have a newcomer, now, at least, give one newcomer for StarFox (Krystal), Metroid (Ridley) and DK (K. Rool). [and I'm not even a Krystal supporter, lol].

mariop476

Smash Rookie
I want to see stages that mix two franchises together(like PlayStation All-Stars).
That's a really cool idea. Series that are related would make neat crossover stages.
F Zero and Star Fox
Sonic and Mario
Mario and Ice Climbers (Cool Cool mountain anybody?)
LOZ and Fire Emblem
The list goes on.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
  1. I support Ridley and King K. Rool, but I just don't see them making it in. The former is (oh look this totally original argument again) too big and the latter seems to have been put on the bus and doesn't have any sort of main character status
  2. I normally don't complain about characters getting in, but Goku would be the worst character they could ever include. The fact that he's somehow fairly highly requested annoys me to no end.
  3. Palutena's Temple looks like a pain to fight in, just like Hyrule Temple and New Pork City, it's too big. I really hope there is an option to exclude certain stages when selecting Random, and I hope it's a default feature.
  4. I love Mewtwo, but Lucario's inclusion doesn't bother me. He's like a milestone to the Pokemon series I guess.
  5. Overall I'm liking a lot of the 3DS stages more than the Wii U ones so far.
  6. It annoys me that the game lacks a subtitle. Sure I get the pun in "Super Smash Bros. 4 WiiU/3DS", but just imagine in the future when people are trying to talk about these games. What happens when hell freezes over and they make a second one on the Wii U, what do we call it, Super Smash Bros. for WiiU 2?
  7. I don't believe the Gematsu leak (at least until something from it truly outlandish like Choir Boy happens), but I'm perfectly fine with what's left on the list, even if I didn't play any of the games represented on it. I got the characters I want, so now it's the more the merrier. Except Goku, I will disembowel a sucker he makes it in.

Veggi

Smash Champion
1.) I hate when people say moves should be removed because they aren't effective. As long as they're fun, they should be buffed; not removed.

2.) I hate combos. I've played plenty of fighting games and combos are why I don't play any of them competitively except for Street Fighter because it does not focus around combos and they are very short.

3.) I hate L-canceling. Dash dancing and wavedashing are cool. L-canceling isn't something fun I can play with. It's just a buff to aerials that makes them more unpleasant to use. I'm glad it's not in the game.

4.) Every time a veteran returns and I see they still have an extremely boring moveset that doesn't make them original or remind me of abilities from the character's games it makes me want to cry.

5.) If custom special moves become banned I will go on murderous rampage until they are made legal. (not really, well maybe)

6.) Smash Run looks really fun.

7.) I don't get why people keep asking for things to return from Melee and even less why they realistically expected it. It doesn't matter if it's a good idea. It makes the game look weird.

8.) I only care about aggression because I want the game to be varied and I don't want people to talk mean about smash 4 and say how great Melee is. I still want there to be characters that can be played really defensively because I like ruining approaches more than I like making them.

9.) When projectile heavy characters get announced I get excited but I know I'll never play as them. I just like watching other people camp.

10.) People say that only offensive characters are fun to watch. But I like watching any combination of campy, close-range defensive, and aggressive characters except for two close-range defensive characters playing against each other.

11.) I think all of the new characters embarrass all of the old characters as far as having interesting movesets go.

D

Deleted member

-If the roster was Brawl's roster with Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Lucas getting cut and the remaining Gematsu leak characters (Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men) getting added, I think that it would be a pretty good roster! Sure, I would be disappointed if Bandana Dee and King K. Rool didn't make it, but it's an overall solid roster.

-With that being said, Chrom is probably one of the most bland characters that they could have chosen. I love Awakening, but I'm incredibly indifferent to Chrom and even Lucina and Robin. They're all bland in their own ways.

-I understand that Miis are among the last of Nintendo's remaining all-stars, but giving them theoretically three roster slots is a waste. I'm fine with just one, but three?

-I love Kid Icarus: Uprising and I loved Palutena's trailer, but I'm incredibly indifferent on her.

-I don't care for Ridley at all. I'm just very frustrated that they haven't confirmed him or disconfirmed him yet...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Agreed; mashup stages would be wonderful, especially for the series that have lost a little steam and could be grouped together, like an F-Zero-meets-Star-Fox stage.
Brawl already did that with Summit, what with Balloon Fight's giant fish.

Though yeah I'd be more than up for this.
That's a really cool idea. Series that are related would make neat crossover stages.
F Zero and Star Fox
Sonic and Mario
Mario and Ice Climbers (Cool Cool mountain anybody?)
LOZ and Fire Emblem
The list goes on.
I just assumed everyone hated anything related to PlayStation All-Stars. I'm glad that people like this idea.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I feel the same way about K. Rool.

But I still want him in the game to appease his fans. Just not nearly as much as I want other characters.
Wow, that is exactly my stance on K. Rool. I want him in because I feel he "deserves it" and he has a lot fans that also deserve it, but I personally don't care much about him one way or another.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I think the titles of the games rock. Seriously though, I don't think any other one-word subtitle would work. Super Smash Bros. Fight? Scuffle? Tussle? Clash? Skirmish? Universe? All cheesy-sounding and cringe-worthy to say the least.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I think the titles of the games rock. Seriously though, I don't think any other one-word subtitle would work. Super Smash Bros. Fight? Scuffle? Tussle? Clash? Skirmish? Universe? All cheesy-sounding and cringe-worthy to say the least.
I'm pretty sure Brawl would have sounded cringe-worthy back in the Melee days.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Brawl would have sounded cringe-worthy back in the Melee days.
It did to me, actually. "Brawl" evoked drunken bar fights where Mario has one shoe off and is smacking Link with it repeatedly. I also wasn't a fan of the acronym SSBB for what reason I couldn't tell you. The name took a few months to grow on me.

But I agree with Mr. Applesauce that this decision was preferable to most of the names they could have used. I think the only other fight synonym that correctly evokes Smash's style of gameplay is "Rumble," but that would make most people imagine the whole Nintendo gang having an "Outsiders"-esque Greaser versus Socs showdown.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah...I guess for me the word "brawl" was fine, because when I think of the word "brawl" I think of fistfighting, and when I think of "rumble" I think of gang fighting in a dark alley or a West Side Story setting. I was pretty young when I first played Melee so that word is pretty much stuck being associated with that game. But "melee" isn't really a word you use or hear that often aside from referring to Smash Bros. Nowadays when I hear "Brawl" being used in other game titles it sounds kinda bad, so I guess I have a bias for Smash Bros. Brawl because Smash Bros. and I accepted it at the time.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I looked up some synonyms for "Fight" (Brawl and Melee were both listed) and I've found a few words that might fit:

Riot
Combat
Duel
Feud
Skirmish
Struggle
Fray
Joust
Tussle
Rumble
:3 Battle-Royale is also listed.

But yeah, I guarantee if any of these words were used as the subtitle, we would've cringed for two seconds and just accepted it.

I didn't like the lazy "For 3DS and Wii U" subtitle but I'm pretty much used to it by now. I'll still refer them as Smash 4 though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Super Smash Bros. Battle Royale doesn't sound too bad.

Also, I think that the 4/for pun in the titles is not intentional and only a coincidence.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Lol at "Struggle" and "Feud."

Battle Royale would be fine if it weren't for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale's existence. I don't think it would be good for them to partially share titles like that, especially with the games' similarities. Like, Smash came first and so far Smash is king, so let's not share titles with lower-ranked subjects...haha.

I kinda disagree with the 4/for being a pun though, given the fact that they've probably run out of viable one-word subtitles that referred to fighting. gAlso they have done pun-ish (see what I did there) things with game titles in the past, like Kirby Triple Deluxe (3D), Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS), Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS), or even the acronym for Battalion Wars II, which can be stylized as BWii. Which doesn't really pertain to this but also goes to show they ain't afraid of pulling those kinds of things...idk man.

Last edited:

Novaka

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4613-8213-0086
1. I am also excited for Pac-Man as some others have suggested. Haters gonna hate
2. I would much prefer one of the Metroid Hunters to Ridley, if we HAD to have another rep for Metroid
3. I don't think that 2-3 Fire Emblem reps is too much.
4. I actually really want Jigglypuff back.
5. Actually, I really would like Ice Climbers back too, while we're at it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm glad it looks like Snake isn't coming back, I don't think he ever fit in Smash.

I hope ROB doesn't return, not because he's a WTF character but because I feel he makes as much sense as having the game cube control as a character, sure he appeared in a couple games and is apart of nintendo history, but I don't think he's originally a video game character at heart.

I loathed the idea of a Mii being a playable character, but slowly came to terms with it, then completely hated that 3 different Mii's got added to the roster and seem unoriginal and can't be taken online, lol, Sakurai should have kept his original justification for not putting them in Brawl.

I don't like Wii Fit Trainer, no one would of cared if it ever existed, bugs me it likely got priority over highly requested or popular characters. Like Sakurai isn't even being original by including WFT, it could have been any obscure character or random host/ instructor of any game like that robot from nintendo land. No one saw it coming because no one cared about that character or wanted it to begin with.

Chorus Men, I have no idea what exactly this might be, but I inherently feel like i'm not going to like this character based on what i'm potentially seeing, but i'll wait and see.

Palutena arguably deserved a roster spot, I won't argue that, but she deserved a better move set. Doesn't really seem fitting to the character, but then again I don't know a whole lot about her character and what she does in the games, so I could be wrong. I saw a head-butt forward attack a black hole and a laser beam and it seemed awkward and like they couldn't come up with anything better.

I hope we get customizable final smashes.

CLIFFS
- I cry and complain over characters

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
The only other character I really care for about being added is Simon Belmont. (And maybe Majora's Final Form)

Also,

- Pac-man seems ehh.
- Wii Fit Trainer seems stupid
- Villager doesn't look as good as I thought (But then again I haven't played the game yet)
- And Palutena is lookin' mighty fine ;3

Last edited:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I'm more concerned about some kind of adventure mode being in the game than fighters.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
1) I hate wavedashing and am glad it's gone.
2) I hate air dodging when it disables you and am glad it's now not sometimes suicide to use it in the air (happens once in a while in melee and it's always lame.)

These are both huge improvements from melee. Though of course brawl had lots of issues (speed, recoverability, etc).

I also wouldn't care if we got paid DLC with characters. This is one of the FEW games I'd be willing to pay for overpriced terrible microtransactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom