• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
  • As one of the main tools in the game, Villager needs the fishing rod in his moveset and it disappoints me that it's no where to be found.

• Megaman doesn't hype me like everyone else.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Weird that I didn't posted that much here because I have different opinions.

- I care A LOT more about the general repping of the game in any department than just the roster itself.

The reason is simple: not only the roster is a way of repping but also because the general repping affects the game in more areas than the roster. For example, it's not because a character is in that there would be a stage to rep him. Maybe his series but not always the character. In fact, it affects most of the game (music, stages, trophies, assist and of course, characters). Since I consider the WHOLE game being the masterpiece, general repping is way more important for me.

- Because of the above, I don't care as much as others about the roster.

- That's why I only care to some extent about Ridley and Paper Mario (arguably King K rool). The former is a "kinda want" while the later is "REALLY want".

- That's also why I don't hate any potential newcomers even If I'm sceptical (was for mii and Pacman and was neutral -> Sakurai cleared my worries on them so I'm not sceptical any more).

- Finally, this is also why I'm really open to clone/semi-clone as long as I see the purpose of the inclusion (example: Toon link is fine but Ganondorf isn't because I don't feel the moveset fits him).

- I didn't hate the SSE mode ITSELF. The main problem I had with this mode that really made ssbb less enjoyable than it should have is that it affected the general repping of the game in a negative way. I made a theory awhile ago explaining this in details which can be read here: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-character-discussion-thread.347464/page-889#post-16929048

- I want better rep for my most wanted more than actually getting my most wanted playable. That sounds weird but what I truly wants is proper recognition for the Paper Mario series (not JUST trophies). So, yes I would be VERY happy to get a music for example. Though, because a playable character is the best case of repping, and that I love the character with potential, it's still my most wanted.

And the last one which I don't know why it's unpopular:

- I don't think that the mii wasted moveset potential.

Look at the 3DS trailer because at one point, you can see a multi-man melee/brawl like mode but you're fighting the mii. This would make a lot of sense because the mii does use attack from other characters and the same happened for brawl. I think that the mii was added for a double purpose: including the mii (just that is leading to interesting possibilities) and using him as enemies in another mode. I don't really consider this a waste because I feel that the same would apply for the alloy in brawl which doesn't make sense for me.

Done! Remember, my opinion, my interpretation.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In my opinion Super Smash Bros. Brawl had the perfect roster of Nintendo characters at the time. I'm referring to the characters themselves, not the way they played. Before Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and even before Melee for the most part, my wishlist of character included:
1.King Dedede
2.Wario
3.Meta Knight
4.Diddy Kong
5.ROB
6.Charizard

When each and every one of them were announced in Brawl I was really excited and hyped. My number one complaint about Smash 4 is that the character roster doesn't have this level of excitement attached to it, for me at least. My top 6 characters, with the exception of ROB, are all major characters from Nintendo franchises that have been represented in dozens of games for at least a decade, if not longer, at the time of Brawl's release. The history behind them makes the characters seem vibrant and exciting.

The roster of Nintendo characters (excluding 3rd party) in smash 4 has felt underwhelming fin this regard. With the notable exception of Villager, and Little Mac both of which have a rich history with Nintendo and are very iconic in my opinion. I'm finding it difficult to get super excited for characters like WFT, Greninja, Rosalina, Palutena (and Shulk, Rhythm Heaven rep, and Chrom if geramtsu is true). none of these characters are bad, and I always love having unexpected representatives show up in smash but it feels like an increasingly large number of newcomers are secondary characters that appeared in a small handful of games (Palutena, Rosalina, Greninja, Rhythm heaven Rep.) Or characters that were the stars of games less then 3 years old (Chrom, Shulk). I feel like having a few secondary and recent characters in smash is always a great idea (I love Marth, Ike, Jigglypuff, Cpt. Falcon, etc.) but in the other smash games the newcomers usually featured one or two characters like this. I'm worried the newcomer list will be severely lacking in recognizable and beloved Nintendo characters. However, my complaints here are completely null and void if we get the likes of Mewtwo, K. Rool, Toad, etc. in the game. All this being said, I'm still excited for the game, and I think the newcomers will be really cool, I just wish I could get as excited about them as I did back in Brawl.
100% agree with this. Almost none of the newcomers for this game match up to the Brawl newcomers in terms of iconicness and popularity. Now I understand that they couldn't measure up to the Brawl newcomers, there are only so many Nintendo characters, but they could at least have added as many icons as possible. Toad over Rosalina, Mewtwo over Greninja, and also throw K. Rool and Ridley in there and you have already gotten one star-packed newcomer roster. And sure, gameplay potential and blah blah, these guys have that too, so it just seems like a poor excuse to include as many wacky characters as possible.

I'm almost burnt out with Smash speculation at this point. :tired:
And also this, I'm just about done, at this point I just want to get into the phase where we analyze characters and figure out the best playstyles for each and every one of them.

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Seems to me that all the newcomers got chosen based on how well their game performed financially in the Wii generation and nothing else.

'cept Mega man and Pac man, who got chosen because they rhyme

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I actually think that all of the pre-release revealed characters will be on the starting roster excluding 3rd parties.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I really wish that the third parties, at least those announced pre-launch, would be starters. It just seems weird (in Brawl's case) having Snake and Sonic hugely advertised and all that... and then having to play a sizable chunk of the game to get them. Particularly bad for Sonic, given how late in SSE he showed up.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In light of some of the above comments, I'm actually perfectly fine with character speculation rather than gameplay talk. The former has a ton of nuances so long as it's done with reasonable people, but the latter so often devolves into back-and-forth b****fests with no real payoff.

Also, character discussion isn't inherently tiring, it's only the people who complain about it being tiring who turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
100% agree with this. Almost none of the newcomers for this game match up to the Brawl newcomers in terms of iconicness and popularity. Now I understand that they couldn't measure up to the Brawl newcomers, there are only so many Nintendo characters, but they could at least have added as many icons as possible. Toad over Rosalina, Mewtwo over Greninja, and also throw K. Rool and Ridley in there and you have already gotten one star-packed newcomer roster. And sure, gameplay potential and blah blah, these guys have that too, so it just seems like a poor excuse to include as many wacky characters as possible.

And also this, I'm just about done, at this point I just want to get into the phase where we analyze characters and figure out the best playstyles for each and every one of them.
Toad...over...Rosalina?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I don't like to use the term "rep" nor any of its variations (repping, reps, repped, etc.) anymore. Applying it on a character asserts the notion that they must be there just to bolster some roster count or to pull in some game franchise or what have you. Characters should be judged on Sakurai's criteria at the most essential level.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Pokemon should have like 7 playable characters minimum for every game after this one comes out.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
We don't need representation from other RPGs since the Mother trilogy and Fire Emblem are the best Nintendo has.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Having characters "represent" spin-off games is a dumb idea. Main series games should be the only titles to get characters unless the spin-off characters are going to be clones to expand the roster at the last minute. (my precious :drmario:) And no :4tlink:'s games aren't spin-offs. And neither are these guys games :4yoshi::4dk::wario:

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
- Rosalina, Palutena and Greninja do not interest me as Smash characters at all. Not only do I not like their movesets, but I've always been an advocate of having reps from as many Nintendo games as possible. Advanced Wars and Golden Sun DESERVE a character rep, at the least.

- The stages so far have all been really gimmicky. I'm not sure if this is because they think Final Destination mode is a solution to this (it isn't), but I want stages with unique & classic platforms more than I want bosses.

- Speaking of bosses, they seem horrible implemented so far. Yellow Devil just sucks based on E3 impressions: He takes up half of a very small stage, his attack is incredibly annoying and after you defeat him he comes back nearly 10 seconds later. It's really excessive. If all other bosses are the same, those stages will be unbearable.

- At first I was hesitant, but now I'm very excited for a Rhythm Heaven rep. The game itself seems like a lot of fun, the music is catchy and I can imagine some really great rhythm-based moves.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Having characters "represent" spin-off games is a dumb idea. Main series games should be the only titles to get characters unless the spin-off characters are going to be clones to expand the roster at the last minute. (my precious :drmario:) And no :4tlink:'s games aren't spin-offs. And neither are these guys games :4yoshi::4dk::wario:
What exactly qualifies as a spin-off rep? Someone like Waluigi, I'd assume?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yoshi and Wario. They represent their own adventures they spun-off into based off their popularity from their initial appearances in Mario games.

Basically uhhh our friend needs to look up the definition for a spin-off. Mario in itself despite being the more prominent series is actually a spin-off of the Donkey Kong series.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Mario is a spin off series though.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
More like Paper Mario. I guess Waluigi too since he's only been in spin-off titles. *another one bites the dust.
Yoshi and Wario. They represent their own adventures they spun-off into based off their popularity from their initial appearances in Mario games.

Basically uhhh our friend needs to look up the definition for a spin-off. Mario in itself despite being the more prominent series is actually a spin-off of the Donkey Kong series.
Saying that Donkey Kong wasn't about Mario is like saying the Legend of Zelda isn't about Link as well as Zelda. (plus Donkey Kong was mean't to be a Popeye game so isn't it a spinoff of that? :awesome: "technically" speaking of course. :troll:)

I guess a definition of terms is important. Two people can be confused if they define something differently.

I guess you could say that Mario started off as a spin-off. Then it became its own game with its own unique gameplay elements. Just like Yoshi and Wario games. Its pretty simple ,but you're missing the point by "technical-ing" me to death. Technically you are right if you look at what I said but not what I meant.

Mario is a spin off series though.
I mean, I'm just saying things like "Mario RPG rep" or something like that. Or Mario Kart 8 rep. Or Pokemon Ranger rep. Or some kinda Link's Crossbow training rep.

(I should be allowed to post whatever kind of vague nonsense I want with out needing to explain myself...... :sadeyes:jk)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I could never get why so many people tend to dislike the oddball or obscure reps. Sure, they aren't expected. But you can't say they're awful because they aren't what people want. They're not "all stars" they aren't "popular" or "wanted". And the funny thing is when most say this they tend to end up liking said oddball anyway.
And really, most of Nintendo's franchises are practically made of the strange and surreal (Mario and Pokemon anyone?). Heck, most of the roster could translate into oddball category. We've just come to tolerate those. So then why can't we have the WFTs or the Greninjas?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You know what, I think I'll just use this one post as a sink for the things I'd get crucified for saying in other threads. Ok, here I go.
  • I dont really see much moveset potential in Dixie, it could end up being like Sonic which relies solely on his spin-dash.
  • On that note, I really don't like what they managed to do with Sonic's moveset. As in, not much.
  • Not big on Bandana Dee either.
  • Same with Captain Toad.
  • Never was big on Golden Sun either, so I don't really support Isaac's inclusion.
  • No thank you to Sceptile either
  • Same with RAY. Who?
  • I'd want Simon Belmont in more than all of the above.
  • Actually, I kind of really want Simon Belmont for some reason.
  • I like Miis simply because they'll allow me to use characters who'll never get in as anything like Layton, or Walumiigi.
  • I want another character nobody's heard of to increase demand for a franchise. You know, Fire Emblem style.
  • I do like Wii Fit Trainer. I also like the idea of the Chorus Men.
  • I really enjoyed SSE. Especially the enemy designs! Seeing Duon, Galleom and Tabuu return would be awesome.
  • As much as I hate clones I liked playing as Dr Mario more than regular Mario. I'd like for him to at least return as a costume.
  • I'd be 100% ok with Lucas getting cut. With no replacement. I like Mother 3 but I never had any real connection to the character.
  • I'm worried about the Chorus Kids becoming triple ice climbers. Not only would it make them less unique, but the Chorus Kids would had a way too good grab game.
I'll probably end up editing this retroactively as I start remembering what I think and other people don't want to see. Ok. TTT out.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wii Fit Trainer is one of my favorite additions.

Additionally, I couldn't care less about Falco returning. I can't remember if I've said that already.

Last edited:

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
SSE was easily the least enjoyable part of any smash bros game for me.

I would prefer Lloyd Irving from Tales over any newcomer currently in the game.

That's all I can think of that I haven't seen in what I've read in the thread (for now.)

Last edited:

Cen Silver

Smash Cadet
Mental note: Make a Ridley Mii if Ridley doesn't get in. (Will be a brawler, purple-shirt user, and as big as a Mii can get.)

Also addendos to my last list:

- Ness and Lucas are, in my honest opinion, random nobodies from some unknown series that should never have gotten on any Smash Bros series.
- Even though I almost never play them, if Jigglypuff doesn't make it back, I'll be REALLY pissed
- I honestly think Sakurai putting the classic Megaman only was almost as stupid as if he placed only the Starforce one instead
- I'm also having serious trust issues in Smash's art team for AGAIN making Sonic's alts just different tints of blue with slightly different bracelets.
- I'm starting to think this new Smash really won't have a story mode at all, and I'm SERIOUSLY reconsidering buying my Wii U+3DS because of that.
- I honestly think putting the Wii Fit Trainer in was a super interesting move, while the Villager is, to me, a joke. And an awful one.

...Am I hated enough already?

Morbi

Scavenger
Mario should be removed from the game in favor of Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario is much more unique and he is aesthetically appealing compared to our least favorite plumber.

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Toon Link was a missed opportunity. I don't mind the character, but the fact that he is still very much a clone. As it stands, he doesn't deserve his spot.

Also, the fact that there are people who have no qualms with characters like Link and Zelda having two versions represented in the roster, while suggesting Paper Mario would be 'too much'. Then again, if PM were to go the same way as Toon Link, I suppose they have a point.

I'm not really interested in Pokemon, however I feel that there should be a Grass starter to take the final spot. It just seems much more thematically appropriate.

The Mother series totally warrants 2 characters. However, the way Sakurai has implemented both does no justice to their original characters, or really capturing the true bizarreness of the series.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
I don't want any more Fire Emblem characters in Smash.
Mewtwo should stay cut.
Dixie Kong would make a fun, unique character with a playstyle different from Diddy.
Miis have me more pumped than anybody else in the roster.
The possibility of custom movesets renders Falco redundant, seeing as he could be remade with Fox customizations.
Rob was one of my favorites from Brawl, and I still don't care if he's cut.
It's good that the Mii Swordfighter got Links's taunt, as that taunt never suited Link to begin with, so Miis should have it instead of link.

EDIT: The lack of Earthbound enemies for Smash Run seriously disappoints me, as their inclusion could capture the charm of the series better than any new character or stage. One of the defining traits of Earthbound was that it was normal people fighting the bizarre and charming, which in itself is difficult to do in a game that is by its very nature over the top and intense.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Brendan, you can't remake Falco with Fox customizations. Falco's up-special is arbitrarily and justifiably worse, so why would you change your up-special to have Falco's up-special properties? Also, their difference isn't just defined by their lasers or shines.

Fox lacks:
  • The meteor dair,
  • The height of the initial jump,
  • The breadth of the forward smash,
  • The weight,
  • Lower falling speed,
  • Multi-hit spacing and Gatling Combo (I think) in Brawl,
  • A decent jab-reset,
  • A laser-lock,
  • A laser to Phantasm follow-up,
  • I could go on but... You get the point. If you still don't believe me, play a reasonably good Falco or Fox main. They'll kill you in completely different way.
I get that Smash Bros. is also a celebration of Nintendo and its history, but trophies are just a complete waste of time and talent in the internet age.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Brendan, you can't remake Falco with Fox customizations. Falco's up-special is arbitrarily and justifiably worse, so why would you change your up-special to have Falco's up-special properties? Also, their difference isn't just defined by their lasers or shines.

Fox lacks:
  • The meteor dair,
  • The height of the initial jump,
  • The breadth of the forward smash,
  • The weight,
  • Lower falling speed,
  • Multi-hit spacing and Gatling Combo (I think) in Brawl,
  • A decent jab-reset,
  • A laser-lock,
  • A laser to Phantasm follow-up,
  • I could go on but... You get the point. If you still don't believe me, play a reasonably good Falco or Fox main. They'll kill you in completely different way.
I get that Smash Bros. is also a celebration of Nintendo and its history, but trophies are just a complete waste of time and talent in the internet age.
While I agree there are more differences to the two space furries than specials, to a majority of the fanbase the only difference between the two is lasers and jump height. I would rather see a new character or a different veteran return than Falco, as Falco is a clone whose fighting style isn't readily noticeable as different than Fox.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
This doesn't only apply to sm4sh, but-
I personally prefer the Wii Classic Pro controller over GameCube.
Pls don't sodomize me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
EDIT: The lack of Earthbound enemies for Smash Run seriously disappoints me, as their inclusion could capture the charm of the series better than any new character or stage. One of the defining traits of Earthbound was that it was normal people fighting the bizarre and charming, which in itself is difficult to do in a game that is by its very nature over the top and intense.
What would I not give for a New Age Retro Hippie.

Espio264

Smash Ace
- Custom Movesets means that everybody's gonna turn their Fox/Mario/DK/Toon Link into Falco, so Falco is unnecessary. Cut Falco.
- Little Mac's Pink hoodie makes Falco's jacket unoriginal and redundant. Cut Falco.
- There are way too many Splatoon characters already announced for this game. Cut Falco.
- We've already got Megaman, Sonic, Lucario and Zero Suit anime Peach. Too many blue characters. Cut Falco.
- Star Fox needs a little less love this go round. I mean, Sakurai has already oversaturated the game with 3 SF stages on Wii U, and freaking 7 on the 3DS. Cut Falco.
- Sakurai will never change the characters. I mean, besides Pit's upperdash arm and shields, ZSS's jet boots, Zelda's phantom, Sheik's grenades and Fish toss, Yoshi and Bowser being upright, Kirby's hammer charge. Dedede's Gordos. Luigi's Poltergust. Mega Evolutions. Wario's Medicated foot powder and Samus having that kick up at the end of screw attack, it's like he doesn't even care! Cut Falco.
- Too many blue haired Fire Emblemers. Cut Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy, Lyn, Micaiah, Lucina, Diddy Kong and Falco.
- Give Ganondorf's moveset to Black Shadow. Give Dorf a new moveset. Give Falco's moveset to Captain Falcon, but keep his regular moveset, thus Two Captains. Cut Falco.
- I really like the Skyloft stage. Cut Falco.
- Global warming. Cut Falco.

Geez. My apologies kids.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm almost burnt out with Smash speculation at this point. :tired:
You should be. It's may be fun but it's still a genuine waste of time.

For the most part, Smash Run looks like it'll be as fun as your grandmother pushing you around on your skateboard while you try to play the Subspace Emissary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom