• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
- I kinda liked SSE and am a little sad there won't be a coherent story mode this time around.
- I like the fact that Ganondorf fights bare-handed and would like it if he continued to do so, even if he was no longer a Cap. Falcon clone.
- I want Hades over any other possible second Kid Icarus rep. Even Pale-Tuna.
- If Namco had to get a rep, I'd want Yoshimitsu over Pacman or one of the Tales characters. Lee/Violet would be pretty cool too i guess.
- I think Birdo would be a hilarious addition and would not be at all upset with its inclusion whatsoever.
- Also wouldn't mind if Pichu came back.
- And I'd have preferred Bad Box Art Magaman from SFxT to the Megaman we got.
- Completely indifferent to Sonic's return. Meh about him being back, would have been meh if he was out.
- Don't really see the point of Sheik now that she isn't part of Zelda. Not saying I don't like her being included or anything, but being Zelda's alter-ego was kinda her thing, right?
- I don't care how many reps a series gets. Half the cast can be Mario or Pokemon characters and I'd be fine with it as long as they were all fun to use.

My only real concern for the collective Smash 4 is the quantity and quality of stages. Since both versions have (nearly) mutually exclusive stages, we're either going to end up with disappointingly few stages for each version, or a landslide of mediocre "a platform here and a platform there" stages. Still, I like the ones we've seen so far.

Don't really see the point of Sheik now that she isn't part of Zelda. Not saying I don't like her being included or anything, but being Zelda's alter-ego was kinda her thing, right?
Somewhat agreed. The transformer split is a little out of line with what Sakurai seemed to be trying to do, though. You know the Alfonzo thing? Where Toon Link no longer appears in the background if someone is playing as him? It seems Sakurai was trying to keep some semblance of logic where the "real" character can't be in two places at once. But now, we can have the "real" Zelda coexist with the "real" Sheik; same with Samus.

So, there can be two Zeldas and two Samuses but not two Toon Links, because that'd just be weird, right?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Somewhat agreed. The transformer split is a little out of line with what Sakurai seemed to be trying to do, though. You know the Alfonzo thing? Where Toon Link no longer appears in the background if someone is playing as him? It seems Sakurai was trying to keep some semblance of logic where the "real" character can't be in two places at once. But now, we can have the "real" Zelda coexist with the "real" Sheik; same with Samus.

So, there can be two Zeldas and two Samuses but not two Toon Links, because that'd just be weird, right?
Don't question it, we're talking about Sakurai here, he's on a completely different wavelength than us mor-OTHER HUMANS YES THAT'S WHAT I MEANT TO SAY, I TOTALLY DO NOT WORSHIP SAKURAI LIKE A GOD.
Also it does kinda irk me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokemon Trainer Alan

Banned via Warnings
Honestly i'm glad SSE is gone, gives us a better chance of focusing on the online which is basically what all of us are gonna use after unlocking all chars.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My only real concern for the collective Smash 4 is the quantity and quality of stages. Since both versions have (nearly) mutually exclusive stages, we're either going to end up with disappointingly few stages for each version, or a landslide of mediocre "a platform here and a platform there" stages. Still, I like the ones we've seen so far.

You're assuming he's removing toon link to keep some kind of canonical reason

However, since Conductor Link and WW Link, which Toon Link is most likely representing, are from DIFFERENT TIME PERIODS, that's not the reason

The most likely reason is actually gameplay. Another Toon Link on the stage could confuse a player.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think Little Mac is not going to be very good in the competitive scene.

I think that Sheik having her own character slot is bad, and while I believe the moveset can stay the same, I think the slot should've been given to Impa from Skyward Sword.

Pokemon Trainer Alan

Banned via Warnings
I think Little Mac is not going to be very good in the competitive scene.

I think that Sheik having her own character slot is bad, and while I believe the moveset can stay the same, I think the slot should've been given to Impa from Skyward Sword.
Agree with the Mac part, air juggling is common in the competitive scene. His weakness to that is large and easy to exploit.

SVGK

Smash Rookie
I think that mewtwo and jigglypuff are both pretty bland in both appearance and fighting style and neither deserve to be in SSB4, I don't get all the fuss everyone has about mewtwo.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I kinda want a return of melee style adventure mode since we won't have anything like SSE. I don't know if that was well liked by the masses but I enjoyed it.

Brisingr

Smash Rookie
NNID
tiagozanchi
3DS FC
1650-1471-3712
I really don't care about Mewtwo, King K. Rool or Ridley being in the game. However, I do want to see Chrom/Lucina and Palutena more than those three.

Don't kill me, please!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I really don't care about Mewtwo, King K. Rool or Ridley being in the game. However, I do want to see Chrom/Lucina and Palutena more than those three.

Don't kill me, please!
I can't. I love your name too much.

But to counter, even though I am mentally prepped for Mewtwo to not return, I do kinda want him back. Only because a fanfic I wrote 6 years ago is still left hanging. :p

T

Trick or Treat

I disliked Melee's Adventure mode. Granted, with a few changes and improvements in Smash 4, it could potentially be really good. But I really didn't like it. At all.

Pokemon Trainer Alan

Banned via Warnings
I disliked Melee's Adventure mode. Granted, with a few changes and improvements in Smash 4, it could potentially be really good. But I really didn't like it. At all.
Better than SE in brawl. Melee is simple straight to the point, special event for the better players(Giga Bowser). I alot of people would rather have a simple classic or adventure mode from Melee than a long story mode, i just want the characters then online.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I'm saying most really liked it. Moreso than SSE. One person doesn't make it an unpopular opinion. In fact, not liking it seems to be the current unpopular opinion.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Most of what made Melee's Adventure Mode bad was the fact that a) there were only a few platforming stages due to obvious rushed nature, and b) there was zero variance (well, you could get alternate fights in some places, but that was it). A thicker adventure mode with a bit more variance would be great.

T

Trick or Treat

Better than SE in brawl. Melee is simple straight to the point, special event for the better players(Giga Bowser). I alot of people would rather have a simple classic or adventure mode from Melee than a long story mode, i just want the characters then online.
I'm saying most really liked it. Moreso than SSE. One person doesn't make it an unpopular opinion. In fact, not liking it seems to be the current unpopular opinion.
It's an unpopular opinion, me disliking Melee's adventure, since most people like it. I actually liked SSE a lot, however I will admit that I'd gladly give it up if it had meant more characters/stages/modes or better online.

And the Great Maze was a huge low point, sadly...

Most of what made Melee's Adventure Mode bad was the fact that a) there were only a few platforming stages due to obvious rushed nature, and b) there was zero variance (well, you could get alternate fights in some places, but that was it). A thicker adventure mode with a bit more variance would be great.
I just think it's pointless. I'm big on story, and I know it's kind of pushing it with SSE, but I liked how there was some sort of plot, an actually fun one to be apart of. There was literally no point in Melee's 'Adventure' other than "hey let's make a platforming mode thingy because yolo #swag"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I didn't like Melee's Adventure Mode. It's OK the first time, but it felt like such an after thought, yet you have to play it tons of times to unlock everything. Besides the Mario and Zelda platforming stages (which are very short to begin with), there was nothing special about it. The F-Zero stage was actually downright pathetic to me, it's literally "Straight Line Zone" (Sonic fandom joke).

I also seem to be one of the few who finds the Great Maze perfectly fine, and sees it as one of the most enjoyable aspects of SSE. It's just the Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star, only in Smash Bros. Which is awesome to me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You're assuming he's removing toon link to keep some kind of canonical reason

However, since Conductor Link and WW Link, which Toon Link is most likely representing, are from DIFFERENT TIME PERIODS, that's not the reason

The most likely reason is actually gameplay. Another Toon Link on the stage could confuse a player.
Not sure if that's the most likely reason either since we can already have multiples of the same characters in the games since day one, but with different colour palette's. Which if no one got themselves confused with that, then I don't really see why the player would be confused in seeing a kid in a green tunic along with a kid in a train conductors outfit.

I think another possibility could be that Sakurai wants to give Toon Link the conductors outfit as an alternate costume, hence why he decided to force conductor Link out of the stage whenever Toon Link is in play, but that's also just speculation on my part... :/ Although it could very well be because the player could get confused somehow I guess.....

Oh well, to get back on topic... uhm...

I'm cool with the inclusion of Greninja and Rosalina and I'm looking forward to be playing as them too soon.

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
- Ridley fans' tears are delicious.
- Most Nintendo characters are boring hollow shells.
- The Wii U deserves to fail. In fact, well, it's failing.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I wish Nintendo would can PM. I prefer 64 and Brawl to Melee which I find to be overrated.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Project M >>> all other Smash games. However all smash games are great. Except Brawl, which is just ok

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
- Most Nintendo characters are boring hollow shells.
I know you're trying to be controversial, but to be totally fair I do agree with this one. Personality wise a lot of Nintendo's best loved characters are pretty freaking shallow. Even one's with personalities like Luigi have very basic ones.

Some more:
- The only way I want Takamaru in, is as a summonable attack for Captain Rainbow. Where he sprays the opponent like Mario's FLUDD. With his nosebleed.

- Those who think Greninja is undeserving right now apparently have forgotten how utterly unimportant Lucario really was when he was introduced. X/Y is what's given him a real reason to stick around with his "First Mega" backstory.

- I'd cut both Mewtwo and Puff for Squirtle and Ivysaur instantly.

- Now characters like Mewtwo and Ridley are up for debate whether they'll make it in or not, I'm finding it interesting exactly how their fans react after they enjoyed "drinking the delicious tears" of Toad, Ashley and Starfy fans last year. It's very enlightening.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
-> I don't have nothing against Greeninja... but nothing in his favor.
-> I think that launch SSB3DS first is a stupid move from Nintendo.
-> I'm sad cause we will have no "secret-characters" in SSBU
-> I loved Ridley "disconfirmation"
-> Kremlings in the game are more important than most of things showed in NDirect.
-> Final Destination mode for almost all stages was the best notice we already received from Sakurai.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
I know you're trying to be controversial, but to be totally fair I do agree with this one. Personality wise a lot of Nintendo's best loved characters are pretty freaking shallow. Even one's with personalities like Luigi have very basic ones.
I'm not trying to be controversial - well, maybe I am, but that's my real opinion. In fact I'll add this: I found the characters in PS All Stars Battle Royale more engaging, despite me not having played most of their games.
After just a few days playing PSASBR, me and my friends were quoting the characters, or my friend joked about Fat Princess eating people, or about Drake's barrel fetish... this never happened with Smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not trying to be controversial - well, maybe I am, but that's my real opinion. In fact I'll add this: I found the characters in PS All Stars Battle Royale more engaging, despite me not having played most of their games.
After just a few days playing PSASBR, me and my friends were quoting the characters, or my friend joked about Fat Princess eating people, or about Drake's barrel fetish... this never happened with Smash.
This has happened with many though. One of the biggest hooks for a lot of Smash fans is that the series serves as inspiration for how certain characters would actually interact, and there is plenty of fanart of this. I always look forward to seeing the fanart that depicts different characters living within the same apartment building and what not.

I think your opinion may be helped by the fact that PS All-Stars had the rival concept. Personally, I'd love for that concept to be in Smash 4.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
That Miis are a good idea. No, a GREAT idea! They do WAY more then just sports!

Uh, there's fan art of that. Fat Princess is one of those game with a...weird fan base. Still an excellent multiplayer game, though. Fun Bits has hinted at a sequel.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
This has happened with many though. One of the biggest hooks for a lot of Smash fans is that the series serves as inspiration for how certain characters would actually interact, and there is plenty of fanart of this. I always look forward to seeing the fanart that depicts different characters living within the same apartment building and what not.
The fan creations are neat, but there's simply not a lot to work with. Half of the fun of a crossover is character interaction that isn't strictly fighting, and Smash is severely lacking in that.

Uh, there's fan art of that.
Eugh :laugh: I didn't need to know that. But then again, every fanbase has its share of crazy.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The fan creations are neat, but there's simply not a lot to work with. Half of the fun of a crossover is character interaction that isn't strictly fighting, and Smash is severely lacking in that.

Eugh :laugh: I didn't need to know that. But then again, every fanbase has its share of crazy.

Another unpopular opinion: Project M would be better if it was less like Melee, and more like its own game.
Subspace had it, and we are getting some in these Smash 4 trailers, but I do agree that I would like it to become a higher point of focus within the series.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

Basilio would be the most interesting character from FE Awakenings they could make playable in Smash. He would add diversity to the FE cast in more than one sense of the word.

Last edited:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I think Jigglypuff has no chance of being in the game, and doesnt deserve to be in the game either.

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
- I'm am 100% entirely for DLC, and a lot of it.
- I'd pay hand over fist for alternate skins and new characters, but I think stages shouldn't be DLC because it restricts matchmaking.
- I think Lucina would work just fine as a skin for Marth rather than her own character.
- At this point, every new comer that is announced I see as more hype than a veteran returning, if the rest of the cast was newcomers and everyone else was cut I'd reach hype-ascension and go supernova.
- I'd rather that they drop Smash Run or adventure modes and just expand scenarios and challenges, I thought those were a lot more fun than any other singleplayer content.
- I think the Mother series deserves a new rep, but am convinced there's virtually no chance that it will happen.
- ZSS' heels bug me to no end, but I think they're fine because they actually suit a purpose.
- I'm dreading having to play Smash4 on the 3ds because my hands are stupid huge and any game that requires manual dexterity on that thing is painful.

Don't kill me, please!
Don't worry, you can hide behind me, we'll go down together.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For me

>everyone thinks lucario and charizards mega forms kill mewtwo because of the same concept of (the land masters in brawl) but unlike those they are different moves (I know the mega forms are final smashes because I just relized transformations are gone so how can lucario and mewtwo transform to the megas)
>greninja kills mewtwo no greninja does not hurt mewtwo greninja hurts takamaru

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Doc Louis should be part of training mode in which he comically coaches you how to use each character through short commands as he does for Mac in his reveal video.
"C'mon Marth. Show 'em whatcha got. Stab. Stab. Remember, just the tip!"

I'd like to see a dialogue driven story borrowing the idea from Kid Icarus Uprising.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
- I think it's incredibly stupid to believe leaks that got some things right and everything else wrong.

- Mewtwo is not "disconfirmed" because of Melee. Neither is Jigglypuff. They both are very, very likely to appear.

- I strongly believe we won't get a Namco character just because those arcade ATs are in the game. Sakurai specifically mentioned they weren't getting special treatment when asked about a character, that didn't necessarily extend to Assist Trophies.

- I couldn't care less about "reps" or "series equality". I just care about a diverse, fun, and interesting roster of playable characters. That's it. So much so, that I won't mind too much if my favorite characters don't make it because the roster looks to be the best in the series by far.

- Super Smash Bros 4 looks a lot like Brawl, but will probably play a lot differently, and that's a good thing.

- I want Cherche & Virion as a tag team newcomer for Fire Emblem, just because.

- Nightmare from Soulcalibur is the only Namco character I will accept in this game.

- I hope Jigglypuff gets some Fairy-type moves with a ridiculous amount of sparkles.

edit: Also Ridley isn't disconfirmed, but I do think the Ridley on Pyrosphere in the Direct was likely a boss.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
- I think that Fire Emblem has a too niche specific fanbase, (and actually, is true, and it's not a bad thing, though),... and not expansive as Mario, Pokémon, Donkey Kong, StarFox and such.. .. by this, I think that the idea of having more than 2 characters from this series in the roster is unlikely (not impossible);

- I'm sick with the whole "waifu" thing that started after the female cast growing in Smash; .. and I'm not against their presences (and I'm actually expecting, at least, one more, and she's Palutena), but c'mon.. this is a fighting game.... It's just like romantic fanfics about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat couples. lol.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
- I think that Fire Emblem has a too niche specific fanbase, (and actually, is true, and it's not a bad thing, though),... and not expansive as Mario, Pokémon, Donkey Kong, StarFox and such.. .. by this, I think that the idea of having more than 2 characters from this series in the roster is unlikely (not impossible);

- I'm sick with the whole "waifu" thing that started after the female cast growing in Smash; .. and I'm not against their presences (and I'm actually expecting, at least, one more, and she's Palutena), but c'mon.. this is a fighting game.... It's just like romantic fanfics about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat couples. lol.

MUH WAIFU-CHAN!!!!!! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom