• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I'd prefer the Smash Ball to be replaced with a super meter and have less ridiculous final smashes.

I don't really care about Ridley (even as a Metroid fan) and especially K. Rool.

People who say they want cuts perplex me to no end.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I hope pretty much every Final Smash from Brawl is changed.

That is an unpopular opinion, right?
some of them are pretty good and fits well for the characters... like Mario's and Power Suit Samus'.... but in general (considering that Pit, Luigi and Kirby already have their changes confirmed), I'd change: Bowser, Peach, Toon Link... all those copy+paste Landmasters,... and if Lucas has a chance to return, his FS too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
some of them are pretty good and fits well for the characters... like Mario's and Power Suit Samus'.... but in general (considering that Pit, Luigi and Kirby already have their changes confirmed), I'd change: Bowser, Peach, Toon Link... all those copy+paste Landmasters,... and if Lucas has a chance to return, his FS too.
I would change:

Toon Link: To something Wind Waker themed.
Falco: To an Arwing, since he prefers the air.
Peach: I have no idea, but not what it is.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Peach has the RPG games, and Super Princess Peach for give her something much better... Well, even something from Super Mario Strikers, actually (which I'd hate, anyway. :\/)

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
That's a rather selfish way of thinking.
Yes and no.

Wanting a full on character to get cut in favor of your character is selfish.
Thinking a now less relevant character will be cut in favor of their "upgrade" (i.e. Ike -> Chrom) is logical.
Wanting clones to go away to make room for more unique characters with more unique movesets is completely justified.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Just want to throw this out there... people who think a less relevant character will be replaced by a more relevant character only have the evidence of 1 game to go by. Melee ~> Brawl. While if you think about it there is 1 game that no one got replaced 64 ~> Melee. So its really more of a "logical assumption" than just logic.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Boy, I think of a lot of unpopular opinions XD
Ok ok, so here:
  • I still think the 1-Hit KO punch from Mac is OP.
  • Paper Mario would be a great newcomer. Bowser Jr. would be a great boss character for a Mario Stage.
  • As of now, I'm looking forwards to the 3DS version a little more than the Wii U version.
  • I don't think Taunt Parties will be successfully prevented.
  • I think the Elite Four stage is lame.
  • I hope there's a playable female Fire Emblem character.
  • I don't care too much for Megaman and actually prefer Pac-Man.
  • As much as Goku doesn't belong in Smash nor should he be considered. I think he would be an awesome character.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Meowth should have got in over Sonic, as he is the original talking Pokemon. It's a shame that a Pokemon like Sonic makes it to the roster just because he's more popular these days despite being derivative and uninspired. He doesn't even come from the series' golden age.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Meowth should have got in over Sonic, as he is the original talking Pokemon. It's a shame that a Pokemon like Sonic makes it to the roster just because he's more popular these days despite being derivative and uninspired. He doesn't even come from the series' golden age.
WTF you talking about, Sonic is the best pokemon there is

There was never an age more golden than glory days of pokemon when Sonic was first announced.

D

Deleted member

WTF you talking about, Sonic is the best pokemon there is

There was never an age more golden than glory days of pokemon when Sonic was first announced.
My favorite Digimon is Mario. I like the way that he attacks with his crowbar and because he also has that one move where he can shoot lightning from his hands.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I can't tell if this is the place for truly unpopular opinions or just a safe space for people to share opinions that appear to differ from Sakurai's vision. Most of these opinions don't seem remarkably unpopular to me. Anyway I digress...

I have noticed through lurking on this board for quite some time that the idea that cuts are coming is incredibly unpopular. Honestly, while this isn't really surprising to me, I do have to say that the aggression people show when someone expresses that a character they enjoy might be cut IS a little surprising. But I suppose that just speaks to the passion people have for the game. In any case, given people's distaste for cuts, my biggest unpopular opinion is that cuts are both necessary, good for the game, and if I had my wish more than just Ivysaur and Squirtle will be cut. I won't go as far as to say that I expect any particular characters to be cut or even that I expect more WILL be cut, but rather that I think it would be healthiest for the game if they were.

So why do I think that? I'm not saying this because I want to be antagonistic or anything of the sort. Rather it just seems to me that there are a number of limiting factors that go into creating a game like Smash Bros. Factors that I think pretty much everyone can agree on. On one hand, this forum alone makes it remarkably obvious just how large a pool of potential smash candidates exist. And even then, we have characters like Wii Fit Trainer, that no one saw coming actually making it into the game. However on the other hand, I think we can all agree that there is inevitably a upper limit on the number of characters that can reasonably be implemented into the same game and maintain any sort of balance. Balance both in terms of attention spent on each character during development and in terms of creating balanced gameplay such that no one character is overwhelmingly overpowered. I of course have no idea what that upper limit is, but by the same token, I'm not sure it really matters. We know it is there and we know it will limit the end product.

So what does this actually mean? Well, it means ultimately that we can't all get what we want really. Not particularly mind blowing, but that wasn't really my intent. Anyway, more specifically, I believe that this also ultimately means that cuts can and should be viewed a good, or perhaps more accurately not an inherently bad, thing. I say this because cuts allow for a greater number of characters and thus a greater number of fan favorites and more of Nintendo's legacy to be show cased in Smash. So, we can showcase playable characters from all of Nintendo's retro franchises, but then why not cycle through some of them to give multiple characters and franchises their chance to shine? I think this would also do wonders for Nintendo in terms of advertising as well if they ever decided to attempt a reboot of another franchise a la Kid Icarus.

Another related reason I feel this way is that not a characters that are added to Smash maintain relevance outside of the Smash universe. This may not be important to some, but I think it would be best to do each franchise justice with the characters that are chosen to represent them. An example of this is Sheik's reappearance in Sm4sh. Now don't get me wrong, I love Sheik and actually mained her back when I played melee religiously with my friends (to the extent that anyone who has never set foot in an actual tourney can say they mained anyone). Not only that but I love the character. But ultimately she is largely irrelevant to the franchise at this point. It would have made a lot more sense to me to include Impa as a replacement for Sheik if they really wanted to keep the character mechanics in game, as she could easily have played essentially the same. Or for that matter you can look at Jigglypuff. Again, a largely irrelevant character in its respective series, though this time with the added benefit of a new typing which could potentially warrant a spot. I would think there exist better choices however if they want to have a fairy type smash brother. In any case, both of these characters appear to me to be taking up space on a roster that we have just established has limited space and way too many viable candidates competing for a spot. So why not allow for some cuts? This way we can get more new blood on the roster and let new and deserving characters have a chance to shine. Even if for just one Smash iteration.

Anyway, I expect most will have something to say about that. But honestly I can't help but feel as though we are putting Sakurai in a place where he can't make any cuts without significant backlash. And yet without making cuts we will eventually, if not in this iteration of Smash, end up with a roster that can't reasonably get any bigger and thus has no room to grow or develop in terms of its roster. What then? Would people still be vehemently anticut?

This ended up being way longer than I intended. And hopefully no one finds this post inflammatory as that is not what was intended. Really I just think cuts are a necessary evil and will ultimately help the game to maintain relevance and novelty, while also providing a vehicle for the promotion of Nintendo's historic and present franchises.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I can't tell if this is the place for truly unpopular opinions or just a safe space for people to share opinions that appear to differ from Sakurai's vision. Most of these opinions don't seem remarkably unpopular to me. Anyway I digress...

I have noticed through lurking on this board for quite some time that the idea that cuts are coming is incredibly unpopular. Honestly, while this isn't really surprising to me, I do have to say that the aggression people show when someone expresses that a character they enjoy might be cut IS a little surprising. But I suppose that just speaks to the passion people have for the game. In any case, given people's distaste for cuts, my biggest unpopular opinion is that cuts are both necessary, good for the game, and if I had my wish more than just Ivysaur and Squirtle will be cut. I won't go as far as to say that I expect any particular characters to be cut or even that I expect more WILL be cut, but rather that I think it would be healthiest for the game if they were.

So why do I think that? I'm not saying this because I want to be antagonistic or anything of the sort. Rather it just seems to me that there are a number of limiting factors that go into creating a game like Smash Bros. Factors that I think pretty much everyone can agree on. On one hand, this forum alone makes it remarkably obvious just how large a pool of potential smash candidates exist. And even then, we have characters like Wii Fit Trainer, that no one saw coming actually making it into the game. However on the other hand, I think we can all agree that there is inevitably a upper limit on the number of characters that can reasonably be implemented into the same game and maintain any sort of balance. Balance both in terms of attention spent on each character during development and in terms of creating balanced gameplay such that no one character is overwhelmingly overpowered. I of course have no idea what that upper limit is, but by the same token, I'm not sure it really matters. We know it is there and we know it will limit the end product.

So what does this actually mean? Well, it means ultimately that we can't all get what we want really. Not particularly mind blowing, but that wasn't really my intent. Anyway, more specifically, I believe that this also ultimately means that cuts can and should be viewed a good, or perhaps more accurately not an inherently bad, thing. I say this because cuts allow for a greater number of characters and thus a greater number of fan favorites and more of Nintendo's legacy to be show cased in Smash. So, we can showcase playable characters from all of Nintendo's retro franchises, but then why not cycle through some of them to give multiple characters and franchises their chance to shine? I think this would also do wonders for Nintendo in terms of advertising as well if they ever decided to attempt a reboot of another franchise a la Kid Icarus.

Another related reason I feel this way is that not a characters that are added to Smash maintain relevance outside of the Smash universe. This may not be important to some, but I think it would be best to do each franchise justice with the characters that are chosen to represent them. An example of this is Sheik's reappearance in Sm4sh. Now don't get me wrong, I love Sheik and actually mained her back when I played melee religiously with my friends (to the extent that anyone who has never set foot in an actual tourney can say they mained anyone). Not only that but I love the character. But ultimately she is largely irrelevant to the franchise at this point. It would have made a lot more sense to me to include Impa as a replacement for Sheik if they really wanted to keep the character mechanics in game, as she could easily have played essentially the same. Or for that matter you can look at Jigglypuff. Again, a largely irrelevant character in its respective series, though this time with the added benefit of a new typing which could potentially warrant a spot. I would think there exist better choices however if they want to have a fairy type smash brother. In any case, both of these characters appear to me to be taking up space on a roster that we have just established has limited space and way too many viable candidates competing for a spot. So why not allow for some cuts? This way we can get more new blood on the roster and let new and deserving characters have a chance to shine. Even if for just one Smash iteration.

Anyway, I expect most will have something to say about that. But honestly I can't help but feel as though we are putting Sakurai in a place where he can't make any cuts without significant backlash. And yet without making cuts we will eventually, if not in this iteration of Smash, end up with a roster that can't reasonably get any bigger and thus has no room to grow or develop in terms of its roster. What then? Would people still be vehemently anticut?

This ended up being way longer than I intended. And hopefully no one finds this post inflammatory as that is not what was intended. Really I just think cuts are a necessary evil and will ultimately help the game to maintain relevance and novelty, while also providing a vehicle for the promotion of Nintendo's historic and present franchises.
Although I disagree with your reasoning behind wanting Sheik and Jiggs replaced, the rest of this post deserves a slow clap...

Welcome to Smashboards. :)

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Although I disagree with your reasoning behind wanting Sheik and Jiggs replaced, the rest of this post deserves a slow clap...

Welcome to Smashboards. :)
haha well, I can't say that I am truly disappointed in Sheik being playable. Again I did actually main her back when I played melee and as such she will always have a special place in my heart. Not only that but OoT is still one of my favorite games of all time. However the crux of this issue is that, when I try to approach the idea of cuts with my feelings aside I can't really come up with an argument beyond "well she was in the last two games!" And I can't rightly say that I feel that argument has a whole lot of merit, to be perfectly honest. Especially if I take the position that cuts can and should happen.

Anyway, thanks a bunch! As I said I've been lurking for a while. Finally decided I needed to add my two cents in some of these threads. :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I've proposed a "Smash Revamp" for a long time once the roster hits its upper limit. All of the lesser veterans would be removed, and those who remain would get revamped majorly, beyond just a move being changed here or there. Veterans would essentially become newcomers, so we'd all get excited about them for reasons beyond graphical upgrades, then, some missing All-Stars could round out the newcomer roster on top of that.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
haha well, I can't say that I am truly disappointed in Sheik being playable. Again I did actually main her back when I played melee and as such she will always have a special place in my heart. Not only that but OoT is still one of my favorite games of all time. However the crux of this issue is that, when I try to approach the idea of cuts with my feelings aside I can't really come up with an argument beyond "well she was in the last two games!" And I can't rightly say that I feel that argument has a whole lot of merit, to be perfectly honest. Especially if I take the position that cuts can and should happen.
Ehh at the end of the day I'm just another Sheik fanboy. Trying to determine who "deserves" to be cut is difficult since there's always going to be a group of people with personal attachments to said characters, but like you said cuts are a necessary evil for the roster to evolve both from a representation and balance perspective. As a Brawl/PM PT/Zard main and longtime Melee Sheik main I was honestly very afraid for both of their chances, but I lucked out. Would I have been upset if they were cut? Absolutely, but at the end of the day I understand cuts are necessary and would have gotten over it by transferring all of my love to other characters (like WFT).

In my opinion the roster is far too large to get completely wrapped up in a single character like a lot of posters on here do. At this rate there's easily going to be over 45 characters on the roster... Just because "x" character doesn't make it in it's not going to ruin the entire game for you since you can easily find other characters that you will enjoy playing as.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of cuts, I'm not sure what the general consensus on this is, but I think Falco should be cut instead of Wolf. Even if Wolf's inclusion in Brawl felt a little forced and 3 Star Fox reps was total overkill, Wolf felt a lot more thought out than Falco. He actually felt different from Fox. If Falco does stay, I hope he borrows heavily from Wolf's moveset.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Real talk, if Falco is not in the game, I'll have second thoughts about buying it.

If Falcon isn't in the game, then see you guys next gen.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I want Micaiah to be a FE rep. She earned it IMO.

EDIT: I should probably say why... She had excellent character development over the course of her game. She would bring a different concept to the SSB Fire Emblem roster than another blue-haired sword-lord, and she'd be a great female rep.

Last edited:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I think Mario had one of the coolest Final Smashes in Brawl and it should not be replaced, is that an unpopular opinion? (it should get buffed of course)

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really think Sonic deserved to be in Brawl, and his roster slot should have been given to someone more worthy. I honestly don't feel like Sonic has really been all that relevant in a long time. Sure, you have the diehard fans, but the bulk of his games in recent years have been critically panned, and he's way past his prime. Mega Man has had rough patches, but he feels way more deserving considering he got his start on the NES.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I really want fire emblem characters that don't use a sword to get in like say tharja
I think the only non-sword wielder that's likely for Smash is Robin (character avatar from Awakening), and even then s/he uses a sword. But we'd get some cool magic based stuff! I can see the final smash being something Grima related or tongue-in-cheek the way Marth's is (maybe Robin opens up a tactics book and sends all units to attack the players?)

I don't particularly want Palutena in Smash, I know she's likely but she's not somebody I'm adamant about. I'd much rather see Medusa, adding another villain to the roster, or (as my sig suggests) Eggplant Wizard for that WTF appeal. Smash in nature is a funny game, we need more funny characters!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I think the only non-sword wielder that's likely for Smash is Robin (character avatar from Awakening), and even then s/he uses a sword. But we'd get some cool magic based stuff! I can see the final smash being something Grima related or tongue-in-cheek the way Marth's is (maybe Robin opens up a tactics book and sends all units to attack the players?)

I don't particularly want Palutena in Smash, I know she's likely but she's not somebody I'm adamant about. I'd much rather see Medusa, adding another villain to the roster, or (as my sig suggests) Eggplant Wizard for that WTF appeal. Smash in nature is a funny game, we need more funny characters!
I think Medusa would be particularly interesting because she would be the only female antagonist on the roster, were she added. Granted there aren't a whole lot of antagonists represented to begin with, but it IS something. I don't see her beating out Palutena for a spot though.

As far as sword wielders go however, I think the game could really use a lot of them and still have a diverse cast. There are plenty of different types of swords, ways to use them, and more importantly the characters all have their own flavor and supplemental abilities. In that way I don't really see the issue with having say, Isaac and Shulk and Marth. I highly doubt they would all end up playing the same. Now, as it pertains to the FE series in particular, I DO think that it could become an issue. As much as I don't know a whole lot about the franchise, I do know that it is more than just sword wielders. So when you have reps for the franchise that are all sword wielders it just doesn't seem to represent the IP very well.

Besides, when it comes to the weapons, I think we have too many fist fighters... :troll:

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Pac-man will ruin the game for me.

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I think Medusa would be particularly interesting because she would be the only female antagonist on the roster, were she added. Granted there aren't a whole lot of antagonists represented to begin with, but it IS something. I don't see her beating out Palutena for a spot though.

As far as sword wielders go however, I think the game could really use a lot of them and still have a diverse cast. There are plenty of different types of swords, ways to use them, and more importantly the characters all have their own flavor and supplemental abilities. In that way I don't really see the issue with having say, Isaac and Shulk and Marth. I highly doubt they would all end up playing the same. Now, as it pertains to the FE series in particular, I DO think that it could become an issue. As much as I don't know a whole lot about the franchise, I do know that it is more than just sword wielders. So when you have reps for the franchise that are all sword wielders it just doesn't seem to represent the IP very well.

Besides, when it comes to the weapons, I think we have too many fist fighters... :troll:
Yeah no way Medusa will take the spot over Palutena.

I have no problem w/sword wielders, but Fire Emblem could do without a *third* blue haired swordsman. The problem is if the character isn't a lord, it's not popular (in the west anyways). That's why we likely won't see any spear/axe/magic users in Smash from Fire Emblem.

I think this game has too many fighters. I think the next Smash Brothers should be a pacifist-focused game /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom