• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I do not think that miis gonna be on the game.

Man I gonna hate if miis are on this game...

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
- I don't like the idea of Pac Man being included in Smash 4.
- IC's infinite grab is an unfair mechanic and should be nerfed by Sakurai somehow.
- I'm glad they cut Pk trainer.
- I'm glad transformations are gone and that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are their own separate characters now.
- I hope Rob is cut.
- I hope Snake and Wolf are cut but I wouldn't mind if they were still in.
- I was disappointed when I found out that Toon Link and Lucario were returning characters.
- Rayman would fit in nicely into the roster. This probably won't happen though, due to Ubisoft screwing over Nintendo way to many times lately.
- Captain Falcon, Link and Sonic deserves to be buffed in various ways.
- All of the original 12 are probably going to return.
- Board the platforms should return.
- Subspace Emissary was tedious and the Adventure Mode should be more similar to Melee's this time around.
- I hope Taunt Parties will be a thing of the past now.
- I don't understand the huge demand for Ridley as a playable character. It wouldn't matter to me if he was in or not though.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
I've been happy with all the revealed newcomers apart from Little Mac.

I would have preferred Paper Mario over Rosalina, but I still believe Rosalina to be a far better choice than other suggested Mario reps such as Toad, Waluigi, or Bowser Jr.

I have no idea why Little Mac was in such high demand. He's only been in 3 games. While I never played the originals, I did watch replays on YouTube and they both looked like ****. The Wii reboot is honestly nothing more than a mini-game.

Otherwise, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega-Man, and (to a lesser extent) Rosalina have all been great choices.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
  • Sheik should have been cut. She was a thing in the Ocarina of Time days, but is only popular because of Smash. The only rationalization I can think of for her being in over Impa is that she "represents" Ocarina of Time 3D. Much how Toon Link "represents" Windwaker Wii U. Both of them however could have been replaced with "better" characters.
  • Marth and Falco need huge nerfs. I'm tired of fighting 40 of them whenever I play Brawl/Melee.
  • I agree with others that Mii is going to be a fighter in SSB4. The idea of Sean Connery and Tony Stark Miis fighting Mario and Megaman intrigues me.
  • R.O.B., Lucas, and Ice Climbers are the veterans with the highest chance of being cut I think. Following them is Snake, Ike, Wolf, and Game & Watch. Thinking Wario, Falco, Ness, Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, or Captain Falcon will be cut is just silly. Mewtwo is also the only Melee cut I can see returning, Although Dr. Mario should be a Mario costume.
  • I'd be perfectly fine if Little Mac was the only "retro" character included.
  • I'd also be perfectly fine if our only 3rd party characters were Megaman and Sonic. Although I will continue to hope that by some miracle we get Bayoneta.
  • Pokemon is the most deserving series to have the most characters. It pretty much sells Nintendo's handhelds for them. 6 characters for pokemon is perfectly acceptable.
  • Speaking of Pokemon, Jigglypuff is still a viable character now that she is fairy typed. Plus she is an original 64 roster member, so she isn't going anywhere. Mewtwo is coming back. Lucario is not bland.
  • Toad is more deserving of being in than Rosalina. I still like Rosalina.
  • I'd much rather have had Marth cut over Roy.
  • I'm not entirely sure King K. Rool is going to make it in, but Dixie Kong will more than likely get in.
  • F-Zero should have another character (Black Shadow), but I understand if they don't for space or whatever.
  • The Final Destination mode for stages is missing the point of those stages.
  • For Fun/For Glory is a cool idea but I doubt I'd ever touch For Glory.
  • I am fine with DLC characters for Smash 4.
  • Cut characters should at least be Assist Trophies/Pokeball'd.
  • If Ridley gets in I hope it's not the Other M Ridley. Is that an unpopular opinion though?
  • If a tag team of Chrom and Lucina isn't possible, then I'd prefer we just get Lucina. I also don't want Robin. Anna would be fine however.
  • I don't think I'll miss the subspace emissary mode (though the similar mode on the 3DS looks neat). I will miss the cutscenes of Fox drinking tea. We need more of those.
  • Newer Nintendo series like Wonderful 101 should have just as much right of getting a rep as older ones that no longer have games made like Ice Climbers.
And that's pretty much it. Gonna go hide from the Marth and Sheik mainers now..

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
- I love the sexualization of Zero Suit Samus
- I don't think Lucina should be in. Tharja should take the spot - she's much sexier.
- I see Peach's butt attacks as sexy in a kinky way
- Ridley has no place as a playable character. Making him playable would be like making Ganon (not Ganondorf) playable - it would just be silly.
- I hate L-cancelling and wavedashing, because such techniques creates an elite of players who'll keep playing Smash Bros six months after release, locking everyone else out.
- Zero Suit Samus needs jiggle physics in her buttocks - they're clearly plump enough for that
- I want Peach to wear a thong again.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
- I love the sexualization of Zero Suit Samus
- I don't think Lucina should be in. Tharja should take the spot - she's much sexier.
- I see Peach's butt attacks as sexy in a kinky way
- Ridley has no place as a playable character. Making him playable would be like making Ganon (not Ganondorf) playable - it would just be silly.
- I hate L-cancelling and wavedashing, because such techniques creates an elite of players who'll keep playing Smash Bros six months after release, locking everyone else out.
- Zero Suit Samus needs jiggle physics in her buttocks - they're clearly plump enough for that
- I want Peach to wear a thong again.
What is wrong with you?

:')

- I have my fingers crossed for no Snake. He's never felt like a good fit for the series to me.

- I sincerely hope the rest of the old roster make the game - minus Squirtle and Ivysaur, who look pretty unlikely now.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
If Mewtwo doesn't return as a playable character, then he should be a boss character.

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
If Mewtwo doesn't return as a playable character, then he should be a boss character.
Isn't he too small for a boss character? A Pokémon like Dialga or Palkia would suit the boss role better, I think.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
- I'd be okay with Squirtle being cut but I love Ivysaur and it would make me incredibly sad. Although his return is unlikely, I'm still hoping!
- I don't care how many characters are being added. I don't care whether a franchise is overpresented or not. Heck, not even clones bother me! They could add 100 characters with Mario having 12 reps and I wouldn't even care, as long as there's uniqueness and balance. Mario -> Dr. Mario is as far as cloning a char should go imo. It's pretty much the border between okay and unacceptable imo.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Isn't he too small for a boss character? A Pokémon like Dialga or Palkia would suit the boss role better, I think.
Considering Mewtwo's origins and what it's capable of and the fact that its Mega Evolutions make it the strongest Pokemon in the games (stat-wise), I think it'd make a good fit as a boss.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
-Mii's are a good idea
-Sakurai is making the game with popular Western characters in mind. The idea of "catering to all fans around the world" is dwindling as Nintendo needs to push the Wii U in The US. This is why popular characters that Western fans know are getting included (Little Mac, Rosalina, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer) and characters that are known worldwide are getting included (Mega Man, Villager). So Japanese characters that not many Western fans know will be extremely limited. No Lip, and either Takamaru or Shulk, not both. I support this 100%.
- Sakurai has is clueless when trying to sell the game. Make it competitive. Make it fast. Take out L-Cancelling and just make landing animations shorter. If people on the internet can make the best Smash game (Project M) why can't Sakurai with a team of people? "It's a party game" is no longer an excuse. If Nintendo as a whole would get it's act together this would not be an issue. Making a good online ecosystem, making a console that doesn't focus on gimmicks, making a game competitive (brings in the money from MLG events) and fun for casual players, and not striking youtube channels for promoting their content is not hard Nintendo. I'm at a loss for words that Sakurai took out character cutscenes from the story mode because they were uploaded on youtube. Is he an idiot? /endrant

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if Ridley is in the game.

I would be happy if Reggie was added into the game.

I'm more excited for the 3DS version than the Wii U version. Cause, y'know, portable Smash Bros.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
  • I agree with others that Mii is going to be a fighter in SSB4. The idea of Sean Connery and Tony Stark Miis fighting Mario and Megaman intrigues me.
The novelty of having Miis like this is pretty much dead to me and I despise Miis for Smash because of this reason.

- I would cut Falco over Wolf just to have hero and villain for Star Fox instead of two heroes. (though I believe Star Wolf is more of a rival gang than actual villains...)
- I've jokingly said I want Sheik cut so that Zelda can be her own character and have a different Down Special. Glad to see it works out for everyone ^_^
- I'm still terribly uninterested in Little Mac. Probably the newcomer I'm least excited for. That doesn't mean I think he's a bad character, I'm just more hyped for everyone else.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Speaking of Little Mac his OHKO move looks a little more broken than I originally thought since it comes out so fast.

I could be wrong since I haven't researched the move enough but from a quick glance he might end up being banned from competitive play.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Speaking of Little Mac his OHKO move looks a little more broken than I originally thought since it comes out so fast.

I could be wrong since I haven't researched the move enough but from a quick glance he might end up being banned from competitive play.
Yeah; He's going to have a field day against most of the characters. Consider Fox, who has literally nothing in his toolkit to deal with the speed, ferocity, and power that Little Mac has. But you have to consider that Little Mac probably has no edgeguard game. He could also end up like Falco, who gets knockback stale'd a lot because he works his kill moves into his approaches and combos. I'm thinking he's going to be a headache for 70% of the cast and disadvantaged by the rest, though. Like Jigglypuff, who can just bait him out all day and wall-of-pain him to death. Or the Ice Climbers, whose mains get raging boners for enemy characters that can reach most of their potential only if they are on the ground.

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Back again for another round of unpopular opinions, so here goes:

• The direct sadly didn't really get me that excited for the game.

• I dislike that zss and Shiek are separate characters.

• I also unfortunately dislike that Shiek is still in the game. From what little I remember, Shiek teaches you a song in LoZ: OoT, and um...that's about it. I just don't see Shiek as deserving as a separate roster slot, and was more excited to see Zelda was free from a transformation and looked like she was being concentrated on more.

• I really don't want Miis in the game.

• I think Bowser's stance change was more notable than Yoshi's and can't understand why he was left so long to be revealed.

• I don't want Jigglypuff back.

• I'm mixed about Mewtwo, since if he returns I don't want him to suck like he did in melee.

• I wouldn't hate the idea of DLC characters providing they were decent choices, and would have been chosen but for time constraints.

• I'm not sure if having a 3DS version and a Wii U version is really good business sense or not, but at least having the option means I can play it when summer comes.
Right time to stop, before I rewrite this post again for the fifth time.
(Thank you autocorrect, I enjoy having to correct your every attempt at guessing what I'm trying to type and getting it spectacularly wrong haha.)

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS Version will probably end up clunky and awkward to play
Nintendo doesn't pay attention to leaks however the Palutena + Ridley teases are huge trolls
There isn't enough Pokemon reps and Hoenn should be in the game (Sceptile) as well as Mewtwo and Pichu
Clones aren't bad and I see no reason for Dr. Mario, Y.Link, Pichu, and Roy should be removed
Ganondorf should be a lighter character who fights like a Gerudo
Pacman has a ton of moveset potential
The game is going to piss of some people in some way
I still can't see the reason people want Krystal in other than for their own *needs*.

Especially that last one. Krystal sucks. Put in Slippy or Leon or something.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
- Ganny is not gonna be decloned (unfortunately)
- Both Wolf and Falco should be cut off (hate clones)
- Toon Link always was a awful idea (such a Waste of slot)
- Mewtwo is out guys, deal with it.
- If pac-man appears, it will have a shallow and poor moveset, just like sonic.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Clones aren't bad and I see no reason for Dr. Mario, Y.Link, Pichu, and Roy should be removed
Except they've already been removed so..... Okay?

- Concerning the 3ds and Wii U and their different release dates, I have a lot to say on what I find bad and good about it so I'll leave that for another topic.
I will say though, I feel that its just not the right time to introduce Smash to handheld, and I'm someone who's been wanting it for a long time. It's a critical time for the Wii U right now and having Smash on the insanely popular 3ds as an alternative is just not a good idea. I see people even saying the 3ds version is SUPERIOR to the Wii U version. It doesn't look good for Wii U if this is the case.
Naturally I'll be getting both versions but it just seems bittersweet having my next new Smash experience on handheld instead of Nintendo's first HD console.
- The stages in the Wii U version appeal to me more than the 3ds stages.
- It's mad annoying seeing people say "X character is a Waste pf a Character Slot". Sure I've complained about characters but they're in no way a waste. Whatever Sakurai decides is what we get and we'll just have to deal with it. The only true waste would be Miis for obvious reasons. Or Reggie...
- Also it pisses me off when people say Snake doesn't fit in with all the other Nintendo characters. I mean yeah he's not cartoony like Mario or Kirby or Sonic, but he fit in just fine with the more serious characters like Samus, Link, Ike and Marth. Saying he stands out completely from everything Smash Bros is just ridiculous! I'm not even a Metal Gear fan and I can tell Snake has enough personality to be in Smash.
I mean Snake's relevance in Nintendo's history is a whole other story but my point stands. It's late...

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
-With the separation of transformations Sheik plummeted down the appropriate Zelda reps listing. Tetra in particular would have been more appropriate.
-The "competitive" "community" shouldn't bother to comment on anything until after the game is released, since they're going to "ban" most of it anyway.

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Except they've already been removed so..... Okay?
I'm saying that they should all be added back in. Cuts are stupid in a Nintendo All-Star game. If they made it in once, they should make it in again, even if they're a clone.

The only stupid clone IMO was Pichu because you basically killed yourself the more moves you used.

O yeah, that reminds me, let me add on "Cuts are stupid" to my list.

Last edited:

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
- Level 9 cpu isn't hard enough. They should either make it harder or raise the highest level to 12 or something.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I also honestly don't mind clones that much. I generally prefer the clones over their originals (particularly Toon Link, Falco and Wolf, and Roy). There's also not really enough of them in Brawl to be really worried about it. I'm sure the people who are incredibly against them would crap their pants if they saw the 8 shoto variations in SSF4AE.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
  • I want melee falco back for sexy shine combos
  • I generally prefer clones that make sense over decloning for the sake of decloning. Melee falco might have been a clone but he was 10times more fun to play than brawl falco whose new moves were just ****.
  • I generally care more about gameplay than anything else (that includes new characters)
  • I despise Mii's as a playable character
  • I think Wii Fit Trainer's fighting style looks very cool, so I like her
  • i will never play as male wii fit trainer, don't mind his inclusion though
  • The only Newcomer I could get excited about at this point would be bomberman, but he's not gonna happen i think. If he would be in that would be insane though :)
  • I like that transformations are removed, it gives each individual character more character (if that makes any sense)
  • If pacman is in this game, I want him to be his 8bit version. That would be very difficult to implement but at least it would make for a special character. I definitely don't want 3d pacman with legs and ****, 3d pacman just looks extremely lame imo

Morbi

Scavenger
may i ask why you think that is the case? I'm just curious
Smash is going to launch on the 3DS; the console that EVERYONE owns, approximately 4 months early with an equivalent roster at a lower price (retail $40). Not only that, it is going to launch around E3; the biggest gaming event, during little to no competition in the market. No one owns a Wii U; the game retails at $60, and it is launching during the MOST competitive quarter (quarter 4, the holiday season). This is a console seller that is going to be competing with more established consoles; consoles that don't need "sellers."

Smash is a casual game for casuals, casuals own a 3DS; if they don't, it is cheaper to buy a 3DS with the $40 dollar game than it is to buy a Wii U with a $60 dollar game. Again, Smash 3DS is coming out in Q2, no other prominent games are. Smash Wii U is launching during Q4; good luck Smash Wii U.

The roster is the same, this is an important aspect as most individuals are not incompetent enough to buy the same game 4 months later.

Nah. The 3ds version is essentially gonna be a full price demo of the wii u version.
To me and you; to everyone that cares about the franchise. But, it isn't going to be the dominant version. We, the hardcore audience, will purchase both. The casuals that drop the game within a month? Not so much.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Smash is going to launch on the 3DS; the console that EVERYONE owns, approximately 4 months early with an equivalent roster at a lower price (retail $40). Not only that, it is going to launch around E3; the biggest gaming event, during little to no competition in the market. No one owns a Wii U; the game retails at $60, and it is launching during the MOST competitive quarter (quarter 4, the holiday season). This is a console seller that is going to be competing with more established consoles; consoles that don't need "sellers."

Smash is a casual game for casuals, casuals own a 3DS; if they don't, it is cheaper to buy a 3DS with the $40 dollar game than it is to buy a Wii U with a $60 dollar game. Again, Smash 3DS is coming out in Q2, no other prominent games are. Smash Wii U is launching during Q4; good luck Smash Wii U.

The roster is the same, this is an important aspect as most individuals are not incompetent enough to buy the same game 4 months later.

To me and you; to everyone that cares about the franchise. But, it isn't going to be the dominant version. We, the hardcore audience, will purchase both. The casuals that drop the game within a month? Not so much.
Yeah probably.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Another one I forgot to mention, I utterly detested wave dashing. An exploit in the physics engine that gives an unintended advantage is a bug and detrimental to gameplay, period. No wave dashing was my favorite change in Brawl, and I hope to god it isn't in SSB4.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

Well, that doesn't really say ANYTHING about how the 3DS version will be the better version, unless selling way better is the same thing as quality which is obviously not the case. But you do bring up an important issue, I can only really hope it doesn't end up being that way.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, that doesn't really say ANYTHING about how the 3DS version will be the better version, unless selling way better is the same thing as quality which is obviously not the case. But you do bring up an important issue, I can only really hope it doesn't end up being that way.
Of course, there is no way the Wii U version wouldn't have the higher quality. It already is the superior version; objectively speaking. I was obviously going on a sales rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom