• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I don't support "no cuts." Sure, if they literally just ported characters over from Brawl, I'd be down, but that's not what they do. As far as I can tell, veterans take nearly as much development effort as new-commers. However new-commers are inherently more interesting.

Thus I believe the ideal is "all cuts." Could you imagine if every smash game had a completely different cast? Sure there'd be no Mario vs Diddy Kong or w/e but so what? It would celebrate so much more of Nintendo's history and each game would be fresh and exciting, even if every game from now on has roughly Brawl's roster size or smaller. Heck, I support 30 characters every game under this system. And yes, while they aren't the only thing that matters, number of and diversity of characters do matter a lot.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
people need to stop being so paranoid about traditional fighting game players liking us now.
Everyone really needs to let Geno the hell go and accept that he was just a one-shot character from a RPG released 18 years ago.

D

Deleted member

Everyone really needs to let Geno the hell go and accept that he was just a one-shot character from a RPG released 18 years ago.
I agree with this. I dunno why he was such a popular character during pre-Brawl.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This is going to be a long post. So I'm putting all of the extra stuff into spoiler tags. I want to know if we have a general "Unpopular Opinions" thread here. Cause I might post there some more instead.
Smash Stuff

I think some people are a little too paranoid about the choices of the roster being disappointing. With that said, it's perfectly fine to keep your expectations realistic. No need to think someone who was pretty much irrelevant(i.e. Geno)get in the roster. Not to say that the character was bad, just that they aren't extremely recognizable to the general public.

I think quite a few of the popular choices will make it in, despite the pessimism that can go around the internet.

Mewtwo isn't a shoe-in though, no one is aside from obvious characters like Wario, Diddy, and Meta-Knight. All Sakurai said was that he was thinking of it. Yet people blew that out of proportion and chose to see that as an automatic confirmation.

I still think Wii Fit Trainer is a very, very, boring character, especially compared to Mega Man and Rosalina. I can't stress this enough,since I'm not the best with putting my thoughts into text. It's just Yoga poses. That doesn't seem fun in the slightest. Luckily @BKupa666 can explain why the character seems so lackluster to some.

Non-Smash Stuff

I dislike the term "gamer", quite a lot. Not sure why.

I feel like most major game companies aren't trying as hard as they could these days, Nintendo and Sony included.

I'm more of a fan of Namco's fighting games than Capcom's. I still think both companies can make good fighters.

I never got into of the Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi games. I found myself liking the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games a lot more, the gameplay feels natural. Nor did I ever care about playing an excessive amount of characters. I get the Movie villains and a few important Z/GT characters that were left out. But did we really need to play as Cui?

Too many games focus on trying to be movies. And less time is spent on making them fun to play as. Worse is, that these games are the most popular, likely that people are just so familiar with movies while Video Games is still a newer form of media. At times it can work out well enough, like with Bioshock, The Last of Us, or even Assassin's Creed.

David Cage, or whatever the hell his name is, shouldn't be allowed to make games anymore. Then again those interactive films he made were hardly video games as it is.

People worry too much about Mega Man's future. I feel that the series will gain some sort of comeback soon. It's clearly popular enough to warrant it.

Custom Robo might be Nintendo's most underrated series. And it really does have so much potential to be extremely big.

I'd be okay with another "game crash" as in times of desperation, people can come up with creative solutions. I feel it should shortly after make a new Renaissance of the Video Game Industry.

The worst part about DMC's reboot was that the series was only 10 years old, far too young to get a re-boot. The second worst part was everything they did to utterly destroy Vergil's character.

Every generation of Pokemon has both good and bad Pokemon. I'm sick and tired of people acting like it's only the Gen 1/Gen 2 Pokemon that are uninspired on the merit that they were simple. Simple can work, and it has many times. Same with all of the other people acting like every new Pokemon is terrible, just out of nostalgia for the old games.

Charizard is underrated to me. It's a good Pokemon when used as a sweeper, but too many people hate on it for being "popular". Which is a dumb reason to hate anything.

Ratchet and Clank, along with the Sly Cooper series, needs more promotion from Sony.

I think both Mario and Metroid are marginally better than Zelda. With that said, I don't hate Zelda. Kirby is slightly better than Zelda too.

Mario Kart is still one of the most fun racing series around. But it should try and take not from Sega's racers.

I find the Mega Man X series better than any other Mega Man series.

Assassin's Creed 4 put life back into the series, though I feel that Ubisoft should stray away from releasing more than 1 every year or couple of years.

Last edited:

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
The meat and potatoes in Smash Brothers is local multiplayer. Therefore, depending on the Nintendo marketing, I estimate a 30% chance that 3DS version will be a sales disappointment in Europe and America due to complicated local multiplayer setup. This is avoidable if Nintendo would manage to hype up online multiplayer, for example. I don't see them making everyone buy game (and a 2/3DS, in some cases) for themselves, however.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I believe Falco should be cut, leaving only Fox and Wolf as Star Fox reps.

I also don't believe Jigglypuff has any place in Smash and is just a left-over from a joke that was once kinda funny.

Also! Shulk is in the top 5 for most unique potential newcomers >.>

Nice to know I won't be judged (to my knowledge) for these, time to go back to logical thinking world.

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Smash 4 comes out. 1 year later, everyone is back to playing Melee because Smash 4 doesn't have wave dashing and L-cancelling.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
The meat and potatoes in Smash Brothers is local multiplayer. Therefore, depending on the Nintendo marketing, I estimate a 30% chance that 3DS version will be a sales disappointment in Europe and America due to complicated local multiplayer setup. This is avoidable if Nintendo would manage to hype up online multiplayer, for example. I don't see them making everyone buy game (and a 2/3DS, in some cases) for themselves, however.
That's a good idea to have meat and potatoes when I play multiplayer locally

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This isn't your blog man.
Ha. Sorry. I figured I would put everything into a single post and leave it like that. That's why I had the spoiler tags. Anyway, Should someone make a general thread like this somewhere else?

I fixed the first post.

T

Trick or Treat

I don't think Geno should be in the game.

I don't get why people like Mewtwo (and Melee, for that matter) so much, to treat them like the best things ever.

I hate the fact that Toon Link is back as yet another mostly-clone of Link.

I think WFT is a dumb choice. Maybe I'll be proven wrong when I actually play as her, but as of right now I don't think that she'll be a worthwhile character.

Villager should've been Tom Nook.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The 3DS version has been shown to have much better stages so far, though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
-Roy is ridiculously overrated.
-Pichu is more deserving to be in SSB then him.
-I absolutely hate project M because it's a hack, not because it's not Brawl or some other garbage like that.
-Little Mac, Ridley, and K.Rool have no chance, and this is coming from a big fan of those series.
-Wavedashing is a glitch, and there is no such thing as an 'exploit'.
-I believe every character in Brawl is coming back.

D

Deleted member

Brawl is not a bad game. In fact, I find it to be a fantastic game that I have a lot of fun with. It's definitely not as good of a competitive game as Melee, but it is by no means lazy, unfinished, or glitchy. It just had weird design choices like tripping and development decisions like emphasizing on the SSE.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
~Although I don't mean any disrespect to the competitive side of the fandom, I couldn't care less about playing competitively myself, and thus I don't care about things like a balanced roster (well not to the same degree). I just want lots of characters.

~I don't want to see Palutena or any second rep for Kid Icarus. It simply doesn't deserve one at this point.

~I do not like Rosalina's inclusion, there were two or more Mario series characters who deserved it before her (and that's not even including my personal want: Paper Mario).

~Toon Link very much deserved to return, although he should have had a new moveset.

~Even though I am personally a feminist, I do not believe in adding female characters just to have female characters. I believe in adding characters that deserve it. The only exception (and I do think it is very reasonable) are avatar characters like Pokemon Trainer, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer (and other possible/suggested characters like Robin and Mii). If they add them, there needs to be a female version (in the form of an alternate costume) as well. But that's merely about being fair to their representation, not "we need moar femalez".

However
, don't think that if after seeing Sakurai create a male alternate costume for the Wii Fit Trainer, I will remain silent if Pokemon Trainer, Villager, etc. are still only male represented.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
- The roster means just as much if not more than the gameplay to me. Brawl's roster ruined it for me. And not because of Roy and Mewtwo being cut. It was just bland.

- As much as I like competitive smash I don't want sm4sh to be balls to the wall technical. A mix between brawl and melee sounds perfect.

- I'd rather see one pokemon from each region than the current spread that they have and probably will keep. There are too many interesting pokemon that they are glossing over. While good, gen 1 is over rated and over represented.

- This smash will either be the last one or just the last one directed by Sakurai, and I'm okay with the latter. Muthaf**ka needs to retire. He's working himself to death.

- Smash Bros needs to be a series chronicling Nintendo's history and representing its many IPs, not pampering the a$$ of its most popular. I feel their misrepresentation of their more obscure or cult classic IPs is really lending to the anti Nintendo arguement of "all they have is Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon DURRRR". Smash has shown the potential to not only rejuvenate old franchises, but make characters skyrocket in popularity. I feel Nintendo should be using this to their full advantage to reboot their entire catalog of old games. "Oh, it's (insert name here)! I main him in smash! I wonder how good his game is?" THAT is how Sm4sh would save the Wii U.

- I love every DK game, but I f**king HATE K. Rool and consider him a poorly designed character from the dead "rare era" of Nintendo. I would cringe to see him on the roster.

- Giygas should be represented in some way, and I would rather see him as a playable character with mewtwo's old playstyle than see mewtwo return.

- If Golden Sun doesn't get a character this time around I will be unfathomably upset. Isaac was my one wanted character in brawl, and while his assist trophy was cool n' sh*t, I slowly started to dislike brawl because it just felt like it was taunting me. Isaac, Felix, Matthew, I DON'T CARE. We need some Adepts up in this b**ch.

Additionally, I think that unlockables should be waaay harder to unlock than both Brawl and Melee. I feel that unlocking is the largest portion of the single player experience. I want to work hard for my characters, or at least have to do interesting things to unlock them. Mewtwo style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I could care less if characters like Ridley or Mewtwo got in. Sure, if someone like Shulk doesn't get a spot I'll be sad, but I'll get over it.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I could care less if characters like Ridley or Mewtwo got in. Sure, if someone like Shulk doesn't get a spot I'll be sad, but I'll get over it.
I could live without Golden Sun getting a Rep, but I'd be pretty bummed and I feel it would drag the game down a bit for me, like it did brawl.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Goku should be playable.

Mario and Luigi need their nes look.

Shrek is playable

Sakurai should be playable

Miku Hatsune should be the SEGA rep instead of sonic

Samus should be an item.

He should also not be able to be Zero Suit

Zelda needs to use her Net and dowsing as a move

Zelda needs to have a taunt that says "Excuse me Princess!!!"

Girl Zelda should be cut.

Boy/Girl Zelda needs to be his/her own character

Ganon should use a fishing rod

Icees should take up two different spots (2 versus 1 is unfair)

Rosalina and Luma as well

Only Gen 6 Pokemon should be playable (they are the best)

Geno deserves a playable spot

Tom Nooks kids should be playable

FLUDD should be playable

Game and watch series is under represented.

Phosphora should be playable instead of Pit.

Dark Pit should be playable

Balance Board should be playable

Amen :troll:

I'm sure they're someones opinions :troll:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
-Roy is ridiculously overrated.
-I absolutely hate project M because it's a hack, not because it's not Brawl or some other garbage like that.
-Little Mac, Ridley, and K.Rool have no chance, and this is coming from a big fan of those series.
-Wavedashing is a glitch, and there is no such thing as an 'exploit'.
In fact, most of the recent history of this thread went full ******.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just out of curiosity, what are those reasons?
Little Mac just doesn't have any moveset potential IMO, and the boxing ring isn't instantly identifiable as a Punch Out stage. There's a few similarities, but nothing that screams Punch Out.

Ridley, again, doesn't have very much potential once you shrink him down to a manageable size. And if Sakurai wanted to add him, he'd of added him when he was most popular. Then there's the fact that Sakurai is obviously biased to Japan and Metroid is basically invisible there. (Punch Out too to an extent, but there's at least significant support for him there.)

K.Rool might get a few interesting moves, but nothing major like Villager or Rosalina. And DK doesn't really deserve three reps.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Little Mac just doesn't have any moveset potential IMO
Apparently the 100's of striking styles, patterns, and punch types don't exist across the centuries of boxing.
Ridley, again, doesn't have very much potential once you shrink him down to a manageable size.
Apparently the Melee intro doesn't exist.
K.Rool might get a few interesting moves, but nothing major like Villager or Rosalina.
Apparently DKC1-3 and DK64 doesn't exist.

Apparently BKupa's amazingly complied thread with all kinds of awesome moveset, playstyle, and skillset idea and possibilities doesn't exist.
And DK doesn't really deserve three reps.
Apparently we play as reps instead of characters.

Apparently we are limited to these feeble concepts that Sakurai and no one involved has ever stated.

Apparently the Donkey Kong franchise selling over 3 times as many copies as the Kirby franchise with fewer games and releases doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
John.

We're not supposed to debate here.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
John.

We're not supposed to debate here.
No wonder why the Smash 4 Boards are so dumb then... stupid stuff like this.

The mods let stupid rules like that get enforced, and they chose to let stupid be stupid without being called stupid, which is thus stupid on their part.

But hey, I guess I'm "bad" for having an opinion.

If we can't call stupid things stupid, then what's really the difference between stupid ideas/opinions and smart ones=???

That's why these boards are terrible; they treat all opinions,posts, and ideas like equals ones, which is not how things work.

But hey, good job allowing stupid rules. ;)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll go!I don't really care much about newcomers this time around.

If I had to pick one though, it'll be Little Mac (Megaman is already in).

Despite how I am, I do think Project M gives an unintentional message that Brawl was broken, and needed to be fixed.

I actually don't mind Mii's being customizable. Heck I'd be all for it. But I see the flaws with that and would rather see them as their own character. I think I talked about this somewhere.

That said, I do hope for some more advanced customizable options. Even something as simple as custom music would work for me.

The only Melee veteran I really want is Dr. Mario.

I could care less about a story mode, as it's not gonna be my main focus.

I wouldn't mind masterpieces coming back. As long as there's no time limit.

I was against Rosalina mostly due to a lack of moveset potential, that said, I think she's one of the more unique characters.

Complaining
From the OP:

"Afraid of posting an opinion/statement pertaining to Smash 4 because you know nobody will agree with you? Then this is the thread for you! All thanks to one golden rule for this topic: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTER'S OPINIONS. If people here aren't mature enough to follow this simple rule then I will request for this thread to be locked. If you don't agree with something (which you likely won't), either ignore it or leave the thread. See how easy that is?"

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Lets see...

- Roy shouldn't come back. He is ugly and there are far more interesting FE characters out there (like Lyn, Chrom, Lucina etc)
- I wouldn't shed a tear if Jigglypuff was cut. I love cute things, but Jiggly is so boring.
- In fact, I think they should put one (and only one) rep of each Pokémon generation
- Geno should never be added to Smash Bros.
- They should keep the gameplay "simple" like in Brawl and not nearly as fast paced as Melee.
- Xenoblade deserves two reps, not only one. It is such a great game lol. Shulk and Fiora for Smash 4 pls
- I will be extremely disappointed if say, Fire Emblem get a new rep and the Metroid and Donkey Kong series are ignored.
- The Zelda series is fine with the only the "triforce" as reps.
- I like Brawl more than Melee
- Wii Fit Trainer as a playable character was a genius move from Sakurai/Nintendo
- Diddy+Dixie combo NEEDS to happen
- The 3DS version is far more interesting than the Wii U version to me. Smash Bros portable is a dream coming true.
- Some people say they should cancel the 3DS version.

If anything, it is the Wii U version that should be canceled, should they have to scrap one version.

And some more lenghty topics:

I am feminist and I love playing as female characters, but I entirelly disagree with adding more women to the series just because. The character needs to deserve her spot. IMO female characters like Lyn and Palutena more than deserve being playable in Smash, but characters like Krystal, Bayonetta, etc... not so much. That said, give us alternates for Pokémon Trainer and Villager. These characters are ****ing avatars, for god's sake. I want an alternate costume for the PT, based on Leaf and New Leaf's female Villager.

On the subject of Bayonetta, I am actually against third party characters in the game. Sure, Snake is cool, Metal Gear Solid is a great franchise and Mega Man's reveal was hype, but the more third party reps the series get, the more it loses its original feel and purpose. I don't care if Kojima is Sakurai's friend, putting Snake in SSB was just dumb.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
mini-modding
1. Mini-modding is against the rules
2. I did not know the OP was a mod and thus (has and is a source of) authority
3. This is why I didn't get the reactions from my opinions here that I posted that I wanted to spark debate and hear different opinions... because it's not allowed.
4. That was never allowed in the pre-release Brawl boards, and that was in the G-rated boards, whereas this is like a PG-13 boards, and things were more strict then.
5. So you criticized my criticizing=???
6. Wouldn't we be better off posting these opinions in a word document and not sharing them then=???
7. I just realized I broke this rule earlier by criticizing opinions I held before. I treated myself terrible.
8. Without critical thinking, which includes criticizing, there's not a lot of difference between us and animals.

Except, well, animals don't randomly kill each other a lot and criticize things, and don't dumb themselves down like people do here.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
1. Mini-modding is against the rules
2. I did not know the OP was a mod and thus (has and is a source of) authority
3. This is why I didn't get the reactions from my opinions here that I posted that I wanted to spark debate and hear different opinions... because it's not allowed.
4. That was never allowed in the pre-release Brawl boards, and that was in the G-rated boards, whereas this is like a PG-13 boards, and things were more strict then.
5. So you criticized my criticizing=???
6. Wouldn't we be better off posting these opinions in a word document and not sharing them then=???
7. I just realized I broke this rule earlier by criticizing opinions I held before. I treated myself terrible.
8. Without critical thinking, which includes criticizing, there's not a lot of difference between us and animals.

Except, well, animals don't randomly kill each other a lot and criticize things, and don't dumb themselves down like people do here.
WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR ANYMORE?!

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That's why these boards are terrible; they treat all opinions,posts, and ideas like equals ones, which is not how things work.

But hey, good job allowing stupid rules. ;)
Unfortunately I am obligated to point out if you don't like it/them, then stop posting here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Uh, hmm.
Snake doesn't deserve to be in Smash? :ohwell:
I love the guy, but there are many more characters with a richer history on Nintendo consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom