• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I feel very happy that someone showcased the whole ridley gameplay. That should highlight a grand accomplishment for teh Smash community, even when it is done at a young age with plenty of knowledge.

Jefftbh

Smash Rookie
When this comes out will it be easy to install on project m? I'm so excited!

TheADGamer

Smash Rookie
So, where can we watch the stream now that it's over? The link from the last page will only take me to live gameplay of Melee, so is it up on YouTube, or what? So excited to see the showcase. I know it's gonna be amazing.

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I'm watching it right now. Just check the archives.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
The walking animation and running animation seem so fluid. I freaking love it! Overall, his moveset suits Ridley just as I always imagined.

Possible fixes needed based on what I learned on the stream:
1. Down B has more negative aspects than positive.
2. His Up Tilt seems to be iffy.
3. His Down Smash needs an improvement if one wishes for it to be usable. According to the streamer, you're better off doing other moves instead of Down Smash.

Apparently, his greatest weakness is projectiles, so I think a slight fix to Down B should get around this. His forward grab is considered slightly too powerful, but I feel this fits Ridley as being someone who can dish out a lot of damage while being fragile and relatively easy to kill.

Other than that, I will spend the rest of the day refreshing this thread until I see a download button!!! :)

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention that there's a small glitch on Ridley's tail that happens when another Ridley performs Grab attacks on him. The tail goes stiff as hell, though it might be a thing that happens only in Ridley vs Ridley matches?

The first time it happens is at 51:23
http://www.twitch.tv/framezerogaming/b/621675094

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
3. His Down Smash needs an improvement if one wishes for it to be usable. According to the streamer, you're better off doing other moves instead of Down Smash.
I think these are all true but I don't want to complain because Ridley might end up with too many good moves ;_;

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The walking animation and running animation seem so fluid. I freaking love it! Overall, his moveset suits Ridley just as I always imagined.

Apparently, his greatest weakness is projectiles, so I think a slight fix to Down B should get around this. His forward grab is considered slightly too powerful, but I feel this fits Ridley as being someone who can dish out a lot of damage while being fragile and relatively easy to kill.

Other than that, I will spend the rest of the day refreshing this thread until I see a download button!!! :)
Hey. Guess what? It's called balance! Down Smash can do a ton of knockback iirc if the tip of the tail hits

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
A down smash buff is a must though, there is no reason to use it whatsoever from the looks of it
I haven't watched the stream but have they noticed how Dsmash can hit your opponent almost instantly if they're behind you? It's definitely useful if you get a good read so this one's the least problematic tbh.

Up Tilt is... pretty unintuitive but you can always throw 1 or 2 of 'em in. Small hitbox though, I'd be careful with it. I think a better Utilt might just make his juggling game more insane than it already is...

Down B is a harder case, I think this will need some more testing before a good balance between slowness and armor can be found.

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see videos of ridleyagainst everyone else on the cast played by players of about equal skill who are familiar with both ridley and the character that they are using's move set.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So I've watched the video for a bit, and Ridley seems to have a bit of a blindspot below him, except for the bit that dair covers. Is it possible to add a zair attack? Instead of throwing out a tether, Ridley could stretch his tail at an angle (analog?) after a short spin. I know that Pit doesn't have a tether, but in the air it's just a disjointed hitbox and it doesn't seem like something that would cause issues. The move itself seems very, very powerful in my mind though. Even if it wouldn't do too much damage it'd be strong.

Either way, lookin' great. The wing textures looked a bit weird, not sure if that was because of twitch, and I'm pretty sure that one/some of the textures have a little miscoloration at the 'thumb' spike. Keep up the good work lad.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey. Guess what? It's called balance! Down Smash can do a ton of knockback iirc if the tip of the tail hits
It also has a lot of range. Still needs to be a little bit faster.
So I've watched the video for a bit, and Ridley seems to have a bit of a blindspot below him, except for the bit that dair covers. Is it possible to add a zair attack? Instead of throwing out a tether, Ridley could stretch his tail at an angle (analog?) after a short spin. I know that Pit doesn't have a tether, but in the air it's just a disjointed hitbox and it doesn't seem like something that would cause issues. The move itself seems very, very powerful in my mind though. Even if it wouldn't do too much damage it'd be strong.

Either way, lookin' great. The wing textures looked a bit weird, not sure if that was because of twitch, and I'm pretty sure that one/some of the textures have a little miscoloration at the 'thumb' spike. Keep up the good work lad.
Its not within my abilities (requires some hex magic) and that blind spot is covered well enough by aerial Down B (which seems to be faster than Fox on fast+heavy+metal special match settings).

Sorry for the delay, but i had reasons for it - i was fixing few important things here and there (for example, ground Up B doesn't looks so weird at the end, neutral b won't cause Ridley to freeze in idle pose until hit if he was standing on disappearing platform, removed Lucario's grunt from Down Smash and few minor things). I have good news:
1. Somehow, game no longer crashes with him at all. I optimized model a bit, but it certainly wouldn't be enough since facepoint count was reduced by ~500 only.
2. AI, while its still not good enough, no longer just spams fireballs non-stop. At least last time i tried fighting against him, his AI was horrible, but now it isn't as bad. Now it behaves oddly...fitting. For example, once in a while, he will attempt to jump above you and then use DAir until he either lands, gets hit, opponent goes out of range or he decided to stop it. All that is really needed is fix his tail attacks (so he would try to hit with sweetspot) and increase his agressiveness so he would feel more like Ridley, even if he will become less defensive.
Also, i found something that might be more-or-less useful - if Ridley falls through a "soft" platform and then within 2-3 frames uses Down B, he will instantly go into landing part of it, completly skipping start up and falling part, making this attack hit instantly with no warning other than sound of rapid button press on the Ridley player's controller, something that probably won't get your attention. If used too early, he will just land though, like if he would just jump and land on the ground. Its kinda like Samus' super wavedash and Ganon Flight in terms of how frame-perfect it must be. I could perform it 3 times in row at least once though.
Anyway, within 25 minutes, Ridley will be uploaded on Brawl Vault, ensuring complete. Global. Satisfication...
...is there any better word to use?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, and to beta testers - redownload the files after they will be uploaded since there have been few changes since that version that can't be left over.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Nice to know the wait is finally over and we can have a Ridley in Smash Bros that truly feels like Ridley while still being playable. Thanks Bagan, for showing that Ridley can work as a playable character and making the arguments against Ridley even more nullified than most of them already were.

But I'd also like to know, since Ridley will be uploaded soon, what will be your next project after your well deserved break? K. Rool or Zant? I would personally vote for K. Rool but I'd be cool with Zant if you prefer to make a PSA for him instead, its up to you.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
10 minutes?! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! This is so awesome!! Thank you so much!!! It's great to have more than one character to represent an amazing franchise (Other M was just a bad dream or bootleg or made by "not Nintendo"). This'll go great with Dark Samus too! Great Job!!!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros So since Ridley will be uploaded soon, what will be your next project after your well deserved break? K. Rool or Zant? I would personally vote for K. Rool but I'd be cool with Zant if you prefer to make a PSA for him instead, its up to you.
Haven't decided that yet. K.Rool is more popular, but he first needs to get a tail on the model. Zant is awesome in HW, but there isn't any good model for him yet. Probably K.Rool.
(Other M was just a bad dream or bootleg or made by "not Nintendo")
For me, it wasn't that bad. Slamming a giant lava fish into the wall with nothing but grapple beam, blasting off giant alien Chtulhu's eye off at point-blank range and shoving arm cannon up a giant space dragon's throat was awesome...

Hm...i wonder how many downloads and how quickly will this mod get on Brawl Vault/KC-MM...

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Other M's gameplay wasn't bad, but the story just killed it for me. I grew up with Prime 2, 3, and Hunters, knowing a strong independent female bounty hunter, and then Other M came along and... Y'know...

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and to beta testers - redownload the files after they will be uploaded since there have been few changes since that version that can't be left over.
Congrats BaganSmashBros. You've done a great service to Metroid fans. I will announce this good news to the people at Metroid Database and AM2R (the latter site belongs to a guy who's remaking Metroid 2, and so far, the demos have proved amazing).

I apologize if I bring it up again, but concerning the tail glitch that happens when Ridley gets grab-attacked, has that been fixed in the upcoming upload?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Congrats BaganSmashBros. You've done a great service to Metroid fans. I will announce this good news to the people at Metroid Database and AM2R (the latter site belongs to a guy who's remaking Metroid 2, and so far, the demos have proved amazing).

I apologize if I bring it up again, but concerning the tail glitch that happens when Ridley gets grab-attacked, has that been fixed in the upcoming upload?
AM2R is completly unrelated though (other than that its a remake of a Metroid game), so, its not a good idea.

I never encountered it, so, i can't tell. But i know it happens when he is thrown or held by Snake. It shouldn't happen on normal grabbed animation though.

Geez, internet connection is horrible there...

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
AM2R is completly unrelated though (other than that its a remake of a Metroid game), so, its not a good idea.
Well, it has a large metroid community, so it'll be nice to let them know.

I never encountered it, so, i can't tell. But i know it happens when he is thrown or held by Snake. It shouldn't happen on normal grabbed animation though.
The first time the tail glitch happens in the stream is at 51:23, and then it happens again a few more times when the first random player shows up and does a Ridley vs Ridley.
http://www.twitch.tv/framezerogaming/b/621675094

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot for this Bagan, I wish I could like your post over and over again.

Now to learn how to install Project M and this mod (I do have the homebrew channel on my Wii, so that's a good start :p)

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
I'll take a look at it. Its gonna take a while for it to download...

Wait no more! Its already there: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207676
I have waited for this moment for so long...and now it happens...
Holy Space Pirate this moveset is too big I can see it being in Project Metroid

Anyways Bad puns aside Tabuu the guy who was working on K Rool is planning to quit with nothing but an U Throw done, I feel like you should finisg his work since he is planning to stop

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Anyways Bad puns aside Tabuu the guy who was working on K Rool is planning to quit with nothing but an U Throw done, I feel like you should finisg his work since he is planning to stop
Oh. Either way, i certainly won't use his model and it won't happen for a while.

And i don't think many of you know that, but Project M was also name of the team behind Other M. And i used Other M model. For Project M mod. Weird, huh?

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:
Top Bottom