• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sweeeeeeeet. balance comes with open beta. a few part time testers wont be able to do as good a job as the community in figuring balance out. When the beta is over, thats when we impress the PMDT.
Why everyone says "beta" when its basically finished product that will get upgraded as time goes on...Beta is when only basic stuff is done like few attacks and get hit animations.

Anyway, 5 animations left. BUT there is balacing to do, so...

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I've always been skeptical of the inclusion of Ridley simply because I feel like if they scaled him down too much he'd lose what makes him Ridley, and I see that this mod is no scare of being big so I'll check it out on release!

Basically go big or go home, it ain't Ridley if he isn't intimidating after all. Cause let's face it NES Ridley was kind of a dork but at least he wasn't as bad as bootleg Bowser NES Kraid.

Looking forward to it!

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I am a happy boy today. Been here since the beginning and I still don't regret it. I knew you could do it Bagan. Good luck with the final stretch.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Why everyone says "beta" when its basically finished product that will get upgraded as time goes on...Beta is when only basic stuff is done like few attacks and get hit animations.
Because full version is his inclusion in 4.0 :troll:

Besides, the OP could use an update since a lot has happened... including the video wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman

Anyway, 5 animations left. BUT there is balacing to do, so...
From my understanding, you're actually thinking of alpha. Beta is feature complete, but not super well tested yet. Release candidate is the next step, which basically means it's more or less ready for release, just not formally released yet. Release candidate probably isn't a very relevant step for this sort of thing, though. But if these definitions are accurate, then this is actually still in alpha, since it still has a few animations to go.

Edit: Just looked it up, my definitions are accurate.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
*sniff* They grow up so fast...!

Also... Since Ridley no longer has spikes, I might as well edit the textures so that the spaces where his spikes where meant to stick are kinda there, distracting.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I've actually never really noticed the spikes but removing them makes him resemble his Super Metroid appearance more and I'm definitely appreciating that.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
I....................can't handle hype............... BFTT......................... BFTT ........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
welp I exploded from hype.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Worry not, friend!

Aas it is obvious that too much hype is indeed quite harmful, I will do everything in my power to prevent this mod's release.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
So, i decided to prepare materials for Meta Ridley alt (or at least recolor) and here are results:

They are transparent and match Meta Ridley's wings...totally not because i just ripped off his materials and replaced Ridley's wing materials. But hey, they work and its all that matters.
The spike removal looks a million times better.

The textures still need a lot of work, though. His back is so smudgy, and I can see the UV boundaries on his arm and legs and everywhere :(

But good work on those wings, they look nice.

EDIT: UV edges that make me sad.
EDIT 2: You know... I do have a bit of free time this week... If you need help with cleaning up the model...

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
EDIT 2: You know... I do have a bit of free time this week... If you need help with cleaning up the model...
Welcome aboard the Ridley hype train :)
Honestly though, it's good to see the positive support this mod is getting.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice

The textures still need a lot of work, though. His back is so smudgy, and I can see the UV boundaries on his arm and legs and everywhere :(

welp nanobuds is here to make Ridley gorgeous,might as well be a PM release/expansion

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
NANOBUDS HELPING WITH RIDLEY CONFIRMED.

In all seriousness now, the hype just keeps building up. I think once this is released Ridley is going to be in my build forever. Unless, you know, PM wanted to add him officially so I wouldn't even need to add him myself. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

You, take this to your people and announce a 4.0 with Ridley in it.

This is looking good, except for the parts Nano pointed out, which I now cant unsee. Still, this is freaking cool. Awaiting Public release

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
welp nanobuds is here to make Ridley gorgeous,might as well be a PM release/expansion
You, take this to your people and announce a 4.0 with Ridley in it.

This is looking good, except for the parts Nano pointed out, which I now cant unsee. Still, this is freaking cool. Awaiting Public release
So subtle!

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Sorry for that. I shall get working on that.

EDIT: Or, you can do it yourself, if you prefer.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because full version is his inclusion in 4.0 :troll:

Besides, the OP could use an update since a lot has happened... including the video wouldn't hurt either.
...I forgot about it. Well, now i have something to do at least.
*sniff* They grow up so fast...!

Also... Since Ridley no longer has spikes, I might as well edit the textures so that the spaces where his spikes where meant to stick are kinda there, distracting.
Yeah, but how will you fill them?
From my understanding, you're actually thinking of alpha. Beta is feature complete, but not super well tested yet. Release candidate is the next step, which basically means it's more or less ready for release, just not formally released yet. Release candidate probably isn't a very relevant step for this sort of thing, though. But if these definitions are accurate, then this is actually still in alpha, since it still has a few animations to go.

Edit: Just looked it up, my definitions are accurate.
Oh...Well, still not beta.
I think Ridley would look cool if his tiny head spikes were made into two large pointy spikes like SM Ridley.
And if his eyes were larger.
I tried, but couldn't properly move verticles of those spikes to make them look like those eyebrow spikes.
Large eyes won't look right. Just look at Brawl model. He had smaller eyes in SM.

...I don't understand what exactly are you talking about, but if you want to...Then of course!
EDIT: wait, screenshotfully loaded. Didn't really noticed that.

3 animations left (remade Up Smash). Every other animation is ready. And there is a bug that causes him to flash in bright yellow color when dodging, charging up smashes, etc. and just turn dark yellow when using Down B. It is triggered by using Star Man or Super Scope's charged projectile. It won't go away until match ends.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
And there is a bug that causes him to flash in bright yellow color when dodging, charging up smashes, etc. and just turn dark yellow when using Down B. It is triggered by using Star Man or Super Scope's charged projectile. It won't go away until match ends.
That's one bug I won't have to worry about, seeing as how me and my friends never use items :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If there is something that you guys need help with, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help.

That is all.
Well, after you pointed out those UV issues, i would like them to be fixed and thats it. Never would have though that official model of a high quality (i mean Other M Ridley model before i even touched it of course) would have such issues...Unless its just something that happened when King Jigglypuff resized the model.

...Ridley for Project M 20XX confirmed.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Well, after you pointed out those UV issues, i would like them to be fixed and thats it. Never would have though that official model of a high quality (i mean Other M Ridley model before i even touched it of course) would have such issues...Unless its just something that happened when King Jigglypuff resized the model.
I'm curious to see what Nanobuds can do to the overall look of Ridley's model :)
I think he should do two versions: one that simply fixes the UV issues, and another one where he does the UV, textures and other things he believes would improve on Ridley (if Nanobuds has the time for it of course).

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I can't think of a "too big" joke at the moment, so I'll just say that I'm hyped and very impressed with how far this project has come :D

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I've watched the 75% video a few more times and realized that when Ridley does his down throw, he pins the opponent down with his tail. I really love these kind of things in his moveset, the extremely brutal throws, the unique ledge attacks, it fits his character so well. Really, the only complaint that I have is that the throws are too fast (in the footage) and make it difficult to actually see some of the brutality happening. There could be a split-second delay between Ridley slamming his tail through the opponent's midriff and THEN setting the poor sod on fire, just to underline it.

EDIT: I know that it's in the OP and all, but I hadn't read that and certainly didn't notice it until now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom