• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlockables...

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
So going back and unlocking everything in my melee emulator made me remember how much of a pain it is. Sure, back in the day it was fun figuring out all the secrets and finding new stages and characters. But now adays its just a bother and honestly annoying. I haven't found anything regarding unlockables in smash 4, but I havent gone deep into it. has anyone heard of this yet?

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
So far we know everyone on the website is starter except for Palutena.

So currently Palutena is the only unlockable.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
So far we know everyone on the website is starter except for Palutena.

So currently Palutena is the only unlockable.
Doesn't it look like Lucina is the unlockable here? People who have played the demo mention Palutena being in the roster, while Lucina isn't.

JD3

Smash Cadet
NNID
JD_Three
Doesn't it look like Lucina is the unlockable here? People who have played the demo mention Palutena being in the roster, while Lucina isn't.
Beat me to it.

Last edited:

Megane-for-Life

Smash Cadet
NNID
megane-for-life
3DS FC
0533-5491-3147
I don't think the Japanese demo is a good representation of a starting roster. Mostly because wouldn't it be a pretty dull demo if there were just a few people?

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Lucina may currently be being tweaked. Maybe to be decloned at bit more or is maybe even has bugs in the game.

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
I don't support the concept of unlockables. It makes things annoying for players and for tournament organizers.

If they really want to put unlockables in the game for those who find unlocking stuff fun, they should at least also put in a cheat code or something that immediately unlocks everything for tournament organizers and for those who don't want to do all that tedious nonsense.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Guys, the recent Japanese demo is the final build, for one thing. For another, the roster shown in the demo matches the roster image on the Japanese eShop. So it's likely that the demo's roster is indeed exactly the same as the starting roster (that is to say, every character shown so far is a starter with the exception of Lucina).

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I don't support the concept of unlockables. It makes things annoying for players and for tournament organizers.

If they really want to put unlockables in the game for those who find unlocking stuff fun, they should at least also put in a cheat code or something that immediately unlocks everything for tournament organizers and for those who don't want to do all that tedious nonsense.
Im with you, its annoying, but if its going to be in the game we will just have to deal with it

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
I can live with less unlockable characters, given how many customizable moves/trophies/whatever else there is to find.

I mean, there are 35 pages of challenges this time around. That'll probably keep me busy for quite a while alongside multiplayer and just messing around in Smash Run.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
You gotta unlock characters,stages, and custom moves. No way around it. If you truly enjoy Smash Bros. as a whole and not just the small competitive niche part, you'll unlock everything in due time. We know custom moves were earned from just having fun with Smash Run and Stadium and Multiplayer battles so if you play those regularly you'll get the custom moves at least.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
You gotta unlock characters,stages, and custom moves. No way around it. If you truly enjoy Smash Bros. as a whole and not just the small competitive niche part, you'll unlock everything in due time. We know custom moves were earned from just having fun with Smash Run and Stadium and Multiplayer battles so if you play those regularly you'll get the custom moves at least.
More than likely, ill be just like a kid again with smash 4 and love unlocking everything. just looking back now on something I did 13 years ago makes it annoying. So, guess ill see when i get my hands on the game. what makes me curious is what they are gonna do when the wii u version drops. am i gonna have to unlock everything again? cause that would be stupid...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Maybe if tournament ops are lucky, the Wii U button on the 3DS can be used to transfer characters and/or equivalent stages unlocked to the U version, saving time on that version.

I like unlocks either way. Plus, assuming the demo roster is equivalent to the final starter roster, Robin will be available immediately.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
More than likely, ill be just like a kid again with smash 4 and love unlocking everything. just looking back now on something I did 13 years ago makes it annoying. So, guess ill see when i get my hands on the game. what makes me curious is what they are gonna do when the wii u version drops. am i gonna have to unlock everything again? cause that would be stupid...
I'm going to rush and get the characters and then just derp around like a casual in smash run and online and win some custom moves slowly over time.

We already know for a fact that we can move all of our moves/characters onto the Wii U so we dont have to unlock things again. However you get to watch a unique CGI movie when you earn a new character or something like that (Sakurai said since we don't have CGI cutscenes for an Adventure mode we'd have this instead), so if they do not have those CGI movies on the 3ds I will be unlocking them again on Wii U to watch those movies.

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I'm going to rush and get the characters and then just derp around like a casual in smash run and online and win some custom moves slowly over time.

We already know for a fact that we can move all of our moves/characters onto the Wii U so we dont have to unlock things again. However you get to watch a unique CGI movie when you earn a new character or something like that (Sakurai said since we don't have CGI cutscenes for an Adventure mode we'd have this instead), so if they do not have those CGI movies on the 3ds I will be unlocking them again on Wii U to watch those movies.
Interesting, didnt know that. at least the CGI's give me something special if i do unlock them again. Thanks for letting me know!

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Better than unlocking characters through the Subspace emissary. Seriously I forced myself to play that

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
What would be the point if there is no unlockables?
To play the game? What if your favorite character is an unlockable that needs time to get? I know I'm not going to get to play Lucina on release day with my friends if i want to, ill have to spend time unlocking her. I know they have their place, but something like this can get annoying

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
What would be the point if there is no unlockables?
Some people dont play other modes in smash nor unlock things, they just wanna have vs matches. For that kind of people is annoying having to spend time to unlock characters and its even a bit problematic from "tourney" perspective where having all characters unlocked at the go might be a bit problematic

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, didnt know that. at least the CGI's give me something special if i do unlock them again. Thanks for letting me know!
No problem. He said so in an interview about "no adventure mode concerns."

I assume we can watch them in a "movies" menu but unlocking them and getting to watch the trailer probably is a better experience.

Here's the full thing:

“There will be a single player [campaign], but it won’t be like the [Subspace Emissary] mode in Brawl. One thing we can do with the Smash Bros. series that’s unique to us — because we have all these different disparate characters brought together — is we can create that sort of fan-movie experience as a special gift.”

Read more at http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-confirms-single-player-campaign-for-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/
ACTUALLY going back and reading this it seems like each newcomer will get a video but it'll be uploaded to the web like the past few "newcomer" videos... -_-

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Rather than letting a setback ruin things completely, Sakurai has focused on having video sequences that would instead potentially benefit by being spread around. This has led to the new character intro video sequences for the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters.
Maybe a few like Duck Hunt's videos will be on the game disk. It's unclear. Sakurai gets misinterpreted a lot. Or maybe the ones on Youtube ARE what we'll see when unlocking them in game.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Why would the tourney.. people.. play day 1? They'd have to practice with the characters and get used to all the technical **** for the new game.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Why would the tourney.. people.. play day 1? They'd have to practice with the characters and get used to all the technical **** for the new game.
Taking this in to consideration is the same thing as just people looking to play for fun. what if the character they want to main in tournaments is a hidden character, they would have to spend time to unlock them before they could sit down and learn the game with the character they want to main. Like i said, i understand some people like unlocks, im just not one of them.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Oh, come on the unlockable thing is fun IMO. Sure its a bit annoying, but then it's all the better once you get all the characters.

Knighto

Smash Rookie
My worry is if custom moves will be tourney legal, then I can see making sure each setup has all the custom moves being unlocked will be a problem. Especially if the only way to unlock them is through smash run and the shop that was shown, and not just playing a ton of matches.

Null001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Null
3DS FC
4914-3187-8140
Oh, come on the unlockable thing is fun IMO. Sure its a bit annoying, but then it's all the better once you get all the characters.
agreed, i thought the collectibles were fun. Also, from what we have seen so far it has been maid easier with some of the new features.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
My worry is if custom moves will be tourney legal, then I can see making sure each setup has all the custom moves being unlocked will be a problem. Especially if the only way to unlock them is through smash run and the shop that was shown, and not just playing a ton of matches.
Thats the thing that bothers me the most. In Melee there were the challenges, which just frustrated me, and in brawl there was SE which was just a total bore to me and i hated it. just make it, as much as i hate saying this, like COD, play a bunch and unlock, but nothing insane like Mr. G&W in Melee )1000 matches in vs.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
My ONLY complaint is that Lucina is an unlock.

Otherwise, I mean, where's the fun in playing if you don't unlock stuff gradually instead of simply being handed to you like "hey here's the entire roster, no effort or work required, have fun."

Just my 2 cents.

d'awww dat Lucina avatar above so adorbs :3

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman

What's the likelihood that a tournament for the 3DS version won't just have everyone use their own copy and system?

Top Bottom