• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlockables...

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I lost my Melee data this summer, and it was horrible unlocking some of the characters again. That being said, I'm glad Smash is one of the few video games nowadays that actually still has unlockables. I'm hoping that since both versions will have different modes, there will be different ways to unlock the characters depending on the version. I'm gonna try and keep how to unlock them a secret when the game comes out.

Solarman

Smash Cadet
Im fine with unlocks as long as they don't force you to leave your system on for 20 hours. (Im looking at you Mewtwo)

Niala

Smash Ace
Personally, I'm of the opinion that there isn't enough unlockable content in Smash4. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd prefer we start with Mario and have to unlock every character rather than starting with such a massive amount (36, by the looks of it) and having to unlock only 10-15. I realize this is incredibly unrealistic, but half of the enjoyment I garner from the games is the thrill of unlocking the game as I go.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Doesn't it only take like a two to four to unlock all the characters anyway? I remember unlocking everyone in Brawl like, within three or four days, maybe less, it's not that big of a deal, imo

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Doesn't it only take like a two to four to unlock all the characters anyway? I remember unlocking everyone in Brawl like, within three or four days, maybe less, it's not that big of a deal, imo
Melee i had everything unlocked in a few days, Brawl took me awhile because i despised SE. (this is all back when they launched) so i wouldnt mind unlocks if its actually fun, grinding for them like in brawl is just a pain

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
I hope there is plenty unlockables... reason is that nothing in the world is like the moment you hear the sound of a new challenger approaching! I do hope it isnt overly hard to unlock them though.. *cough* mewtwo

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I hope there is plenty unlockables... reason is that nothing in the world is like the moment you hear the sound of a new challenger approaching! I do hope it isnt overly hard to unlock them though.. *cough* mewtwo
very true, i do remember the first time unlocking alot of the characters. just make them easy but challenging to unlock if that makes sense :bee:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I actually think it's pretty fun to unlock everything the first time around - I know I had a blast playing Brawl for 5+ hours straight on release and getting super excited whenever we could unlock a new character, even though we already knew all of the characters by that point, obviously.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I absolutely love unlockables, I feel like the game is slightly less exciting once you have everyone.

But I get the tourney organizer aspect. But if you can just import from a 3DS with all unlocks like people think you can then that shouldn't be a big deal.

And I'm assuming that 3DS tourneys be BYODS. So it shouldn't be an issue there, I don't think.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
After posting this thread i feel a little bit in the minority about disliking unlockables lol. But it gave me some info that i was looking for so no regrets!

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Serious tourney scenes aren't gonna be starting up within 24 hours anyway - pretty much everyone will have all of the characters unlocked by the time tourney organization starts really heating up and meaning more in the scheme of your region. It's already happened in previous games, so I don't think it's going to be any more of an issue now :p

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
After posting this thread i feel a little bit in the minority about disliking unlockables lol. But it gave me some info that i was looking for so no regrets!
Yupp we are a minority. Actually the competitive scene of smash is kinda small compared to the hugeeeee none-competitive people that plays smash so its just natural xP.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
oh yeah, which, spoiler alert, casual smash is fine to! lol I didnt look at it from a competitive thing at first, just an annoyance. But i guess it is kinda hardcore not wanting to unlock things haha

Requiem Strider

Smash Rookie
NNID
Requiem_Strider
3DS FC
0044-3073-6859
I'm just worried about how unlocking characters will work when playing multi-player, since every person will have his own 3DS. Let's say I fulfill 200 matches to unlock someone and the other 3 players haven't. How will that play out? Will they have to wait for me to finish or will we all unlock that same character collectively, making the other players wait if they have that character unlocked?

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
I'm just worried about how unlocking characters will work when playing multi-player, since every person will have his own 3DS. Let's say I fulfill 200 matches to unlock someone and the other 3 players haven't. How will that play out? Will they have to wait for me to finish or will we all unlock that same character collectively, making the other players wait if they have that character unlocked?
Perhaps you'd just get disconnected from the other players to fight the "challenger", while they go back to the character select screen together.

Maybe it'll even skip the "challenger approaching" match and just unlock the character so you can resume the session with your friends.

I don't know. It's just speculation at this point. It's also possible that there might not even be any "play x matches" type of prerequisites this time.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
My guess would be it won't happen until they leave the multiplayer session.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
If the challenges are fun, then unlocks are tolerable. I got smash 64 when I was 5 and unlocking Luigi was a pain because I was so crappy as Link in target smash. Unlocking Luigi became genuinely frustrating.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
I like unlockables specifically in the way they were handled in Brawl. If the challenge wall also includes characters, I would love it, even with a Mario-only starting roster (which is, as was said, extreme, but I like the challenge). Having goals for unlocking things shown to you but without knowing what you're unlocking is nice! The hammers, letting you auto-unlock some things, help out, too.

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
There are two sides of the coin here. On the one hand unlockables give us this great sensation when you unlock that random joke character. I can see it now, you met the requirements for the Duck Hunt Dog whose all like "What up?! Didn't think I'd be here, did you?! Prepare to have a duck shoved up your bumhole!" and then you lose because you're laughing so hard.

On the other hand if unlockbles are as ridiculous as the 20 hour Mewtwo example then it becomes a grind and not fun. I was just fine with getting all of the characters through SSE, debate on whether or not it was good, but it made unlocking the rest of the cast much easier than in Melee.

The other problem that SSE had was that it made Classic Mode/Challenges completely useless as game modes and this is where the unlocks come in. Keeping the unlocks to Classic and Challenges was very nice because it made you experiment with the other fighters, and in turn it makes those modes a lot more viable rather than just the one and only way to unlock anyone else.

In short I'm okay with unlockables, as long as they aren't ridiculous.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
The other problem that SSE had was that it made Classic Mode/Challenges completely useless as game modes and this is where the unlocks come in. Keeping the unlocks to Classic and Challenges was very nice because it made you experiment with the other fighters, and in turn it makes those modes a lot more viable rather than just the one and only way to unlock anyone else.
Every character in Brawl had at least two unlock methods not related to SSE.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Even in Melee all the characters had multiple unlocks (not sure about 64, been years sense ive played it) but that doesnt excuse the fact that most of them were pretty nuts. mewtwo 20 hours, Mr. G&W 1000 vs games. make unlocks im cool with that, just make them less ridiculous

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo was 20 hours divided by the number of human players, so it wasn't hard to get him in an afternoon playing with friends or just leaving the system on during a match. Sucks if you only had one controller, I guess.

Mr. G&W's primary unlock method was beating either classic or adventure (I can't recall which) with every other character.

If anything, Melee had ridiculous unlock conditions for the stages (like beating 15 minute Melee) but Brawl did away with that so I don't think there's much to worry about. They already have made unlocks less ridiculous.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I personally like when their tough to unlock. Why would you want something easily unlocked then they might as well just start them in the game. I think more difficult unlocks are fun just dont look up right away how to unlock them and it wont feel like a grind. You will be just playing to beat the game.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
If anything, Melee had ridiculous unlock conditions for the stages (like beating 15 minute Melee) but Brawl did away with that so I don't think there's much to worry about. They already have made unlocks less ridiculous.
This is probably true, its been a long time sense ive played brawl. i just remember hating SSE. maybe thats why i am having a hard time swallowing the unlocks, cause im playing melee lol

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I personally like when their tough to unlock. Why would you want something easily unlocked then they might as well just start them in the game. I think more difficult unlocks are fun just dont look up right away how to unlock them and it wont feel like a grind. You will be just playing to beat the game.
Props to you sir, lol. i respect people that like challenges, im just not a fan myself

Top Bottom