• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Unleashing a 2-D Horror - A Game and Watch Thread

Oracle

Smash Master
you need to use hammer more. there were tons of situations where a hammer would have been the best followup where you just parachuted or faired, and as a result falcon was living way longer than he should have been. you also were being a little too safe with your edgeguards. you should be trying to go offstage a little more vs falcon since you can safely do that against him.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Real talk, every advice post by Oracle I've seen is about hammer

Played my brother today, "Game and Watch should be banned" He's only 13 though, soooooo. Opinions on the Snake match-up?

Also holy **** I love his Uair in this game

Oracle

Smash Master
i mean hammer is the weakest aspect of most people's gnw, and generally they don't come here for regular gameplay advice (and I don't like to give it anyways)

dettadeus

Smash Lord
If I had any intention of going G&W at Hype III then I'd see if I could get some matches recorded, but I plan to stick with R.O.B. until I get out of heartbreak mode.
Might be a while.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Opinions on the Snake match-up?
Luckily Game and Watch isn't so complex that you really need general advice here. A lot of what he is, is pretty obvious on the first look.

Also, opinion on vs Snake? Avoid large, open stages like Dreamland and Dracula's Castle. If they're smart, they're going to put themselves in situations where they're going to use their favorable weight to DI out and return onstage with a grenade or ect. Snake can live quite a while doing this, especially given these large stages.

Snake doesn't have the greatest approach, but he's got a very serviceable foxtrot, dash and wavedash for baiting things on the defensive side of things. He can pull a grenade just like in Brawl and force trades that you as a GnW don't really want to take and above even that, he's got a pretty strong Up-B OoS that stuffs a lot of followups from GnW. You don't want to be grabbed at low percents because he can still Uthrow to stick you or he can set you down with dthrow an abuse our generally poor tech options. That including throwing us into mines and stuff.

Be ready to attempt a lot of baiting and probably spam a lot of bacon to trigger traps, block grenades and figure your way in to threaten his space. Don't rush in too soon and too recklessly because Snake will **** you and you'll find stocks disappearing like crazy. Maybe save fair until you get a confirm, use a bit more bair for spacing and nair for the shield pushback. I tried to experiment with dair when I played Sago (which is embedded below), but it wasn't super effective. Beats pure crouch cancelling though. Uair is pretty nice, but you don't want to hit a grenade with it either. Also be patient getting off of the ledge in this MU.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It was extremely awkward playing that set vs Sago at first, I just wanted to go ham.

It seems pretty decent though, once you get a decent enough % lead. I did that in Game Two to put him in a worse situation and it seemed to work out pretty well. There's a fair amount of risk management involved.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
its 2013 and youre not techchasing with shine, what are you some kind of nerd?

shiggedy doo

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
That's exactly it.

I mained Sheik for about a year so I'm used to it. It's not hard for me now, but I could see why it would be hard for someone else.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I didn't say it was hard, I'm just surprised compared to other DACUSes that I've done with other characters the speed that is required.

And of course, the silly you-can't-use-the-Z-button

Yung Mei

i did all my dacus's using only cstick, and its now impossible for me to use any other method, so i cant dacus at will with gnw ;w;

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I can do it pretty well, I just need to train it into muscle memory when the time presents itself.

I think I'm gonna main GnW, fingers crossed he gets just a little buffed in the next patch, otherwise, I'll just have to deal with it.

Also, Juu, you play a lot of not great characters from what I saw on the stream

QraQ

Smash Ace
Meh I dun think GnW needs a buff. He has a lot of factors about him that counter many characters imo. Bacon and pan being primary in that case.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I can do it pretty well, I just need to train it into muscle memory when the time presents itself.

I think I'm gonna main GnW, fingers crossed he gets just a little buffed in the next patch, otherwise, I'll just have to deal with it.

Also, Juu, you play a lot of not great characters from what I saw on the stream
Yeah, I like dabbling in mid-tier characters. It's not necessarily that I don't enjoy playing good characters (I basically play all of them), but I don't really explore tech in any of them.

Unless you mean that none of my play with those characters is particularly good. You're not really incorrect in either case, though.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I actually think that he does pretty decently against both Links.

A bit worse against Adult Link though. He doesn't beat either of them, though.

ZSS (and Ike) tho. Talk about a MU I play Link for.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
When I teamed with Ryker at GH3 we were originally gonna do G&W/ZSS but then he said if I felt more comfortable with ROB we could ditch the gimmick and just go with our mains.
Dunno if we would've done much better having bucket gimmicks than we did without though, I would've died like 80 times earlier.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Mostly the former, but I guess I can't really talk with the characters I like in Brawl/PM, haha

Is there anyone with a sword GnW beats? Ganondorf doesn't count.

I think GnW does well against Pit and Marth/

Yes, but you can't bucket her speed or her side B
Holding bucket works so well against basically every energy projectile. Just hold and instarelease if they try to close-in. Also the refresh time on using bucket to bring out another bucket is very fast, so it can combat energy projectile spamming. Only downside to me is the lag it takes to use oil spill is usually enough for people to attack above and behind you.

QraQ

Smash Ace
The only thing pit has an advantage on him is arrow gimping offstage, and even then GW can still UpB to safety in most situations.
Bacon and pan (pan clinks arrows) are more than enough to deal with long range arrow pressure and glide approaches. They're even in inside game imo.

Yung Mei

i turned 20 today and am still the kawaiiest gnw, deal with it peasants

Yung Mei

i made this in 20 minutes

its uploading to yt atm, so itll be like 20 minutes before you can actually see it, im just posting it now because its 3 am or something and i wanna go to bed

protip, youre all unkawaii and i invented GNW combos, get reckt scrublets

[j/k i luv u all]

QraQ

Smash Ace
i made this in 20 minutes

its uploading to yt atm, so itll be like 20 minutes before you can actually see it, im just posting it now because its 3 am or something and i wanna go to bed

protip, youre all unkawaii and i invented GNW combos, get reckt scrublets

[j/k i luv u all]
0 Skillet spikes? L 2 GnW Like Men.

Yung Mei

i had like 3 skillet spikes i didnt use because they were boring as ****, lets face it, when you get a lot of 9's and skillet spikes, they just stop being impressive

QraQ

Smash Ace
They're the ultimate form of tech chase for GnW. How can they ever not be impressive? lol Skillet spiking mid-air is an impressive feat and very useful lulz.

geno

Smash Apprentice
In regard to GnW's Judgement change... Yes, it's a "buff", but I feel like it's a much bigger nerf to his charisma. GnW feels great to me how he is, and sure, maybe being able to throw 9's every few tries will get him higher on the tier list, but he'll also become the Metaknight of PM. All you have to do is throw hammers whenever you have free time in a match to get a potential 9 ready and repeat. It might just be me, but I think random judgement is a big part of GnW's quirk.

Top Bottom