• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kal

Smash Champion
Actually, this Saturday may not work for me. I won't know for sure till Saturday, so it's best if we just leave it officially canceled until noted otherwise.

Plus I don't want to play with JF.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, and virtually no chance of smash at my place. I've got stuff to do tomorrow.

Why doesn't JF host a smash fest or something? I mean, I'm not the only person in Austin with a place to play.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
My place isn't big enough. Plus it's not my place, it's my parents'. Actually, they'll be out of town in a couple weeks so I might be able to host something then.

Kal

Smash Champion
Unless your place is a ****ing efficiency, I think it's big enough. And your parents aren't ok with you having friends over?

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
If JF doesn't feel comfortable then I'd gladly be willing to host something if anybody's interested. Next saturday or after next. The only thing I'd need would probably be an extra setup and a headcount of any expected attendees.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
They wouldn't be okay with me having a bunch of people over. The area where my gaming setup is located is pretty small.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I will be unavailable next weekend unfortunately, but it is an away game weekend, and thus it may be better to just go ahead and have the first meeting.
Doesn't Edgar have a car too?

Kal

Smash Champion
In retrospect, I should have just hosted a smash fest last Saturday. Now I don't see myself playing smash again. Oh well, the game's been ruined for me by ****ing Queerno anyway.

MT_

Smash Ace
Jiggs sucks. King made a really good post somewhere concerning how people are taking the wrong approach against jiggs. When I have time I'll go find it lol. I think if people put their spacing game up to Hungrybox's and Mango's game then jiggs wouldn't win tournaments anymore.

But yea it's still pretty accurate and for a current then jiggs probably should be where she is right now.

I'm going to main Marth more than Fox now. Fox sucks.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm pretty upset with the low-tier roster. Now I'm going to lose to ****ty DKs because Roy can't do ****. And Zelda above Roy? Really? And Luigi in low tier?

How about we just make the tier list:

Top: Fox, Falco, Puff,
High: Marth, Sheik
Low: everyone else

Since it seems 15 characters are now low tier. fml

Kal

Smash Champion
Also Matt, you're completely wrong in arguing that Jigglypuff is bad. She's a great character. Even (falsely) assuming we're all just playing terribly against her, she's at least 7th on the tier list. And that's a hyper-conservative placement. If it turns out that we're all just playing like ******* against her (which seems unlikely; M2K has fantastic spacing and still loses to Mango) then she's certainly at least 5th on the tier list.

MT_

Smash Ace
Well I was kinda exaggerating a lot when I said Jiggs is bad. I do think that she is better than Falcon/Peach area but I do not think that she is going to stay where she is on the new tier list for too long a period of time.

King's post that I referenced earlier: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10946145#post10946145

And I mean M2K has fantastic spacing but Mango's is simply better. I'm saying that if M2K's spacing was equal to Mango's or Hbox's, then he should be able to beat their Jiggs with other characters that have better speed/tools. Imagine a Marth with spacing as impeccable as Hbox's. There's like no way that any Jiggs is going to beat that, considering pretty much all of Marth's moves outrange Jiggs (even bair!).

Kal

Smash Champion
While Marth may outrange Puff, she has much stronger aerial mobility. I wouldn't necessarily disagree that Marth beats Puff, but to argue that this somehow places her lower on the tier list is ridiculous.

Also, it's sort of a bull **** argument overall. "If those guys maining that character played him better than those guys maining that other character..."

It's a ridiculous assessment, really, to act as though M2K's spacing improving would cause him to suddenly never lose to Jigglypuff. And, as I mentioned, losing one matchup isn't enough to qualify her going down on the tier list.

MT_

Smash Ace
Well I think the reason Jiggs is top right now is because she (and she = Mango & Hbox) is winning matchups that I think are not actually in her favor. I think Jiggs has: a losing (if only a little) matchup to at least both Marth and Fox, an even-ish matchup to Falco, a slight edge over Sheik, and then she just beats everyone else.

I kinda feel like people just aren't exploiting the speed difference well enough between slow *** Jiggs lol. Anyways just my 2 cents... I do think that she is a really good character but I think she has very decisive weaknesses that just haven't been torn apart yet.

Kal

Smash Champion
Matt, you've shown to have very little understanding of how Puff actually plays. She's not slow (her run speed is slow, but she has, by FAR, the strongest aerial game. Even Marth doesn't come close). You've described her match-ups with the top tier characters in basically the following way:

She doesn't lose to anyone, except Fox, and maybe Marth

and concluded that she should drop significantly. It's absolute nonsense. It's completely ****ing asinine. The worst thing is the actual logical structure of this argument that Puff is only winning tournaments because she's winning match-ups she should be losing; every single character who wins a tournament has to overcome that obstacle! If Falco has an advantage against Fox would you argue that Fox is only winning because he's winning match-ups he should be losing?

When a character who typically doesn't win starts winning, it's common to suspect a simple ignorance towards how to handle the match-up. However, Mango and Hungrybox have been consistently winning for a long time. If there were some simple strategy that would overcome this obstacle of losing your favored match-ups, it would have been discovered by now.

This isn't to suggest that things won't change. It's just not the case that a simple change-up in strategy or an improvement in spacing will suddenly force Jigglypuff out of first place.

MT_

Smash Ace
You're missing the point. I think people are putting Jiggs too high because they're using tournament results for her too strongly. The reason why tournament results aren't that good of a representation for her tier placing is because Mango and Hungrybox are just better than everyone else and are able to exploit Jiggs to her full potential on all matchups.

If a change in strategy or improvement in spacing isn't going to hit Jiggs out of first place then there isn't really much else that is lol.

Kal

Smash Champion
Tier lists have always been strongly based on tournament results. It's nothing new. That, and your original argument wasn't really "they're using tournment results too strongly."

And I won't waste my time explaining why tournament results are essentially the only reasonable basis to form a tier list.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
you're still missing the point. he only means that the tournament results used for jigg's ranking in the tier list is not representable of her tier. after all, it's not jiggs winning tourneys, it's just hbox.

I'd be surprised if there was a tourney with 3 jiggs placing top 10. that's why she's not top 4.

and you guys are confusing me with the whole match-up stuff. you won't be facing jiggs, you'll be facing mango or hbox, that's why you wouldn't win.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I would be interested in playing tomorrow. I have a car and can transport setups if I'm needed to.

Kal

Smash Champion
I might (read: probably won't) be able to play today.

Actually, **** responsibilities/algebra, tell me when the smash fest is going down and I'll bring a controller.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm awake, and I'm ready when you guys are. I got two CRTs, but only one Melee setup. Kal, I think you still have my memory card, too.

Edit: My phone number's in the first post, for those who don't have it.

Top Bottom