• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Thank you kr3wman, those of us who aren't in this tl;dr argument needed something to read in this thread.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Somethings that they could do that could help to improve MvC3 over it's peers...

Don't severely tone down strong characters already, because that is what makes them fun in the first place! I hate it when everything gets tone down to such a level that they literally become mediocre tools to work with. Take for example a Shoryuken, in older SF games you feared to get hit by it, however in more recent SF games, it was so bad, that you would at times opt to just simply do a regular AA which is fail.

One small example only, however beefing up the weaker characters, but making them play uniquely distinctive to themselves. I've always heard the idea of giving everyone something to deal with any other characters tools, which again imo will make the game not as enjoyable. This is one of the reasons why I did not like the transition of SFII to Super Turbo, because in ST, everyone was literally given Anti-Airs which made it stupid.

Characters like Rog (although he got his in Super), Claw, Chunli, etc, etc all got AA's which removed the uniqueness of how they played. Because by not having true AA's, they either had to find ways around those situations, or else in many other cases they couldn't and thus it forced players to really try and control their match ups to the positioning which best suited the advantages of their characters.

A character like Magneto simply dominated everywhere was because he literally had no weaknesses besides "long range". It would be more interesting if say Ryu vs Magneto, that Magneto would be the master of the air against Ryu who would have more difficulties fighting him there, but if Mangeto spent 3 seconds on the ground that Ryu would pummel him to submission, making it extremely difficult for him to go back up.

Which brings me to another thing, there should be more dominant ground games. I'm talking that enough ground dominance that characters like Storm whom would have great runaway tactics would have difficulty trying to achieve to being pinned down, or forced to the ground.

More variables in how characters can distinctively control matches will only make it better. Lastly, MvC3 doesn't need to be "super balanced", we've come across balanced fighting games that were stale as snot, and the reason MvC2 thrived was because it had phenomenal depth, strategy, character individualism, flexibility for untold creativity which is what really gave it its longevity, even though only like less then 20 of the characters were playable, which shows and proves to you something.

I'd rather have a more unbalanced game, but with all of the above stated, then a balanced game, but being stale like old milk (Tekken 5 :DR for example, yes arguably the most balanced Tekken game but...good grief, Juggle, Juggle, Crush, Crush, Hopkick, Hopkick, juggle, juggle...you serious?!).

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
So... Dormammu, huh?

Alrighty then...

Also, looking at silhouettes at the beginning of the trailer, we've got Felicia, Chun Li, Doc Doom, either Iron Fist or Daredevil, and four others I can't recognize.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
When I first saw MvC3's graphics, I didn't like it too much. Seeing Ryu just reminded me of TvC's graphics and for some odd reason it just looked odd to me. The shadowing and stuff just seemed weird.

The graphical style's growing on me now. Iron Man Vs Morrigan and Deadpool Vs Dante looked really nice.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Ya know, after watching the released videos of the gameplay Marvel vs Capcom 3, I will say that it's faster then TvC, but doesn't seem to be as fast as MvC2. Just from "judging" from the videos, the game looks to play more like TvC, then any actual MvC game, and especially seems to show no real resemblance to it's last predecessor, MvC2. This was my concern in my multiple earlier post on here.

However, this wasn't surprising to me considering who Capcom had working on MvC3 anyhow. Honestly, I'm worried as hell about it playing more like TvC, feeling more like TvC and being watered down like TvC. I've seen some people say "Well, it looks faster then TvC, so how can it be?". The gameplay is the biggest key here in what was displayed in the video that shows it's closer in kin to Tatsu then Marvel, and if you know how Marvel plays like, you would understand here.

I'm not going to pass full judgment on it considering it's only the first string of videos, and until we can get some Top Marvel players playing this game, then we'll get a better estimation. Again, from just the videos posted, it does not look like a Marvel vs Capcom 3, it looks way more like a Tatsunoko vs Capcom game.

Man, I Hope, Pray, that everything I said was Wrong in this thread earlier, I pray that I'm not right about what was being predicted with this game. On a positive note, the graphics doesn't look bad, and Deadpool with his antics and I believe screaming "Shoryuken!" made me chuckle.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Ugh... from the looks of it everyone has an airdash.

One good thing though I noticed is none of that baroque or burst garbage that was in TvC so thats one thing to be happy about.

I'm loving how the game looks though the graphical direction combined with the fonts and other random tidbits really get the comic book feel perfectly.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
On another note as well, judging from the videos, that it seems like they "purposely" tried to make it crazy. In MvC2 for example, characters were made "crazy" due to players manipulating the game in such that it looked so. For example, Sentinel is slow as hell, but when you start to short, fast fly, unfly, dash, short, rocket punch, FP laser, etc, etc he then becomes extremely fast and ridiculous.

In MvC3, it seems like you just hit one button, then go 1,2,3 (insert motion) and you'll do a 290348239048290 combo. Not to mention within an E3 Article they posted that Marvel vs Capcom 2's best asset was it's "ease of use" and flash which made noobs feel like pros.

Like I said, I hope I'm completely wrong, and that Capcom proves it, but at this moment, this just looks like Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2 made faster but is labeled: MvC3.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm still hype for this game. Unlike a lot of people, I don't really care whether it's closer to TvC or MvC2. They're both fine games and I enjoy both.

kr3wman

Smash Master
They're barely using assists ;

I'm guessing they're just showing off what all the announced characters can do (BNBs, they almost always did the same super except for a few occasions)

That baroque reminds me of Tekken 6 : Perhaps you need to only have one character left to use, maybe even less than 50% - Just to fuel those comebacks moments, but just watching what every characters has I don't feel as if the game really needs it. Looks like you can use it to cancel a super into another one too.

Also, it looks like everyone on the Capcom side has an airdash, (+Captain A.) I don't think I ever saw DP, Hulk or Wolvie do one.

Just stuff I noticed.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Large images here.

http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2010/06/15_mvc3moves.jpg
http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2010/06/15_mvc3controls.jpg

Also, this is a quote from another non-SRK forum I saw explaining the air rave/air break system. idk how reliable it is.
Buttons will be called ABCD for this explanation. D being the exchange button.

The air combo system:
You can extend your air combos by switching to more characters for free no bar needed, but its system is kinda like a reset.
2/3 chance you guess right and get a bigger combo and 1/3 chance the enemy gets to combo you instead!
Both of you input either 8D, 2D or 6D, and if the opponent inputs the same direction as you did, he gets the shot.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
The whole Baroque crap is stupid, was stupid in Tekken 6, and I don't see how it's better now.

Also, Terrible News as confirmed by Keits whom at this very moment is having hands on with Marvel vs Capcom 3

Back+Assist ='s Tag Out, instead of Assist!

Yes, you heard me! This is one of the absolute worse news I've read since the TvC setup button style. So they are basically removing the Defensive option to call an assist when you are being rush down which is stupid.

Imagine this example...

Magneto (Yes, I know Mag's is not confirmed but just using an example) vs Ryu

You are being barraged by Tri-Jumps, and rushdown, however you are holding back on block, you call assist, but instead of getting your assist to support you and stop a possible offensive rush, you instead TAG OUT! Seriously, how are you going to truly defend up against Rushdown Tactics, when this was one of the most effective tools in a defensive position?

Good gosh, I seriously do not see how this is Better when Back+Assist has proven to be Essential in a Marvel vs Game when they were introduced. Please for the love of anything related to Marvel vs Series, change this Capcom!

This is Exactly what I was talking about with overlapping command bs due to lack of buttons! This is an absolutely stupid "adaptation" and more importantly skewers the Assist Mechanic, and needs to be changed.

kr3wman

Smash Master
atleast make assist alone assist and like back+any attack button+assist tag out.

sheesh capcom that's just dumb and it is something that needs fixing.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Just saw some gameplay. I honestly don't really like how it looks. I would like it much better if it was much less flashy and if it was done in 2D sprites. The 3D background mixed with 2D sprites would be good in my opinion.

Things that I did like from what I saw though: fast gameplay. That's about it lol.

I still don't really have a position on whether or not not I'm all into the whole different button layout compared to the other generations of cross over fighting games done by Capcom. I would like it to be 6 button layout but I doubt that's the direction they're going as its already been decided.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Maybe they could make Exchange+Assist the switchout. This doesn't change too much since many assists are used for their launching ability (Psylocke, Cyclops, Cammy, etc.) and that's primarily what the exchange button will be used for on the ground anyway.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's confirmed by Keits...good grief, to know that it's official at this moment within the game itself is the worse part.

This will do one if not all of the below things

- Devalue the way we play MvC3 due to the fact that you can no longer use a great defensive tool option with the assist which contributes for numerous other strategies in what it opens up by simply having it.

- Offensive characters, especially those with 8-Way Running Games will be having a field day.

Just imagine if Magneto and Storm were in this game and played like their any of their older versions, without Back+Assist...and you are on defense, you will basically cry. MvC2 Mag/Storm would pale in contrast to MvC3 Mag/Storm scenario.

- Make the Game more difficult to play then it originally was by making overlapping commands, thus making it more complicated, and again, defeating the entire purpose of trying to make this game easier to learn.

Somehow, with this, and the fact that MvC3 was made faster on purpose, and there is a supposed saying that 8-Way Running is now supposedly "faster" in MvC3. If that is indeed truthful, then the potential is there for the 8-Way characters to rule with even greater domination then they previously did in MvC2.

I hate to say this, but I knew it would go down this road with garbage removals and tweaks like this.

It is a 6 button layout that has no barring to the previous Marvel vs Series whatsoever.
Fixed.

I'm pretty sure he meant the 6-button lay out in previous Marvel vs Games, not the idiocy one we currently have for MvC3.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hm... I really don't like how back+assist equals tag out at the moment. I didn't like it in TvC but it was doable since the rushdown in that game wasn't anywhere near as rushdown found in MvC2. Hopefully they change this.

Top Bottom