• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

smashbot226

Smash Master
tenderizer for the lockdown lulz, snap back opponent, call tenderizer, unblockable set-up, free combo
You'd have to get the timing down for such a thing and as a general assist plus what you use it for, Cold Star is far more helpful. Not to downplay the strategy, it's incredibly devious and no doubt effective against some characters.

I wish Cap would shine more. He's pretty sat on like Spiderman and no one places well with either character.
I think his issue is that he performs better mid-screen than in a corner. Compare that to, like, every other character in the game.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
tenderizer is actually better for firebrand because of where it hits, tenderizer hits in the air which gives firebrand more area to use his unblockable set-up

smashbot226

Smash Master
tenderizer is actually better for firebrand because of where it hits, tenderizer hits in the air which gives firebrand more area to use his unblockable set-up
Like I said, you'd need to get the timing down right. Otherwise, your adversary will either:

A) Get hit by one of Tenderizer's last punches when the unblockable hits, nullifying the soft knockdown provided by the fully charged swoop.

B) Get out of blockstun and potentially use the opening to completely screw Firebrand and his 850k health.

Not to say it's a bad idea, again.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
don't worry, i've practiced it in the past, i just gotta start up the game and get back in the groove

the timing isn't that hard and firebrand doesn't have to worry about CCs because the swoop most of the time bypasses them

and even if skrull hits them, firebrand has no problem putting the opponent into a very awkward mix-up

smashbot226

Smash Master
don't worry, i've practiced it in the past, i just gotta start up the game and get back in the groove

the timing isn't that hard and firebrand doesn't have to worry about CCs because the swoop most of the time bypasses them

and even if skrull hits them, firebrand has no problem putting the opponent into a very awkward mix-up
Some characters have CCs with invincibility/armor. Like Jill in the last page, she could potentially happy birthday those two. And I know Orbital Grudge has armor on it and can link into Fatal Buster. That and Tenderizer just has a LOT of hitstun decay, meaning most characters can flip out and counter rather than get their faces swooped.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i've actually done the testing for the invincible CC's

firebrand almost always win, the timing for each CC is very strict, firebrand usually straight up wins (and i've tested this on most of the invincibile CCs)

like thor, firebrand either wins or both characters whiff each other, the more likely situation is firebrand winning (and thor will only win if the unblockable is set-up at point blank range and timed so that thor can catch firebrand and it's actually really friggen hard to time because thor will probably trade with skrull as well)

this set-up is down right disgusting and you can't stop it with anyone

mood4food77

Smash Hero
only when he's incoming and he's needs a bar, phoenix can do the same thing, and morrigan can with three bars

it's still a real nasty set-up because you can't CC out of it

and with each of those characters, there is a way around it, albeit not guaranteed:
open opponent up with firebrand
do a ground combo
call skrull assist
bon voyage away from skrull
launcher
TAC to the side
continue combo
TAC (the direction doesn't matter)
firebrand comes back in
devil's claw
snap back
commence shenanigans

now, if done early, the opponent doesn't have a meter to escape the unblockable, this is completely theory and probably can only be done from certain points on the screen (i'm going to say take the entire stage and 1/3 of it away from each wall) but it can work if the opponent fails to break the TAC

it's also really sad that while morrigan and sentinel can escape the unblockable set-up, it's usually not a big deal for firebrand because he'll just swoop underneath them, i don't think he can go underneath phoenix's hyper but she's not going to use it anyways so she can turn into dark phoenix

firebrand, such a little ball of bull****

mood4food77

Smash Hero
they probably had that moment where their hearts are beating really fast due to the intense moment, where the next hit meant death

friggen nuts

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, knives v pr rog was the most exciting match i've ever seen. i was there live haha.

the exciting thing about that match though, was tournament pressure getting to both of them, and seeing new surprising things (like the fireball stopping the arm and knives trying to counter the arm with DP but instead getting punished.) and also knives trying to style at the end with the air fireball loop, and then dropping it. so much stuff dropped in the last round, which actually made the match more exciting. every drop made the crowd feel even more tense. also the fact that it was a no x-factor akuma comeback and that 3 super combo on wesker for 199 hits was so sick.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
that 3 super combo was legit as hell

at the end, both of them were spazzing out just trying to get that hit but trying not to get hit at the same time

**** was real intense

smashbot226

Smash Master
PRog Vs. Knives was the highlight.

Which made the result of FChamp Vs. Knives a goddamn letdown. It's like watching Latif beat down Poongko and Daigo in SSF4 at last year's EVO, and then falling to Fuudo.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha, well that's tournaments for ya. we get hyped off an underdog whooping through losers brackets and we want them to win. but sometimes the champ is too good :p

i remember that also happening at an east coast AE tournament where mike ross blew through yuns and yangs in the losers bracket to make 3rd place, only to lose to arturo's rose in lame arturo fashion.

Turazrok

Smash Master
haha, well that's tournaments for ya. we get hyped off an underdog whooping through losers brackets and we want them to win. but sometimes the champ is too good :p

i remember that also happening at an east coast AE tournament where mike ross blew through yuns and yangs in the losers bracket to make 3rd place, only to lose to arturo's rose in lame arturo fashion.
yeah that was pretty hype. I remember b/c everyone thought honda was *** tier.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
firebrand's heavy demon swoop, when fully charged, becomes unblockable

meaning that you can't block it, it actually breaks your block, same can be said for viper's fully charged focus attack

so a set-up is putting someone into a situation where they can't avoid it, a good example of this is using a lockdown assist with either of those 2 characters

so the set-up is simply, use a lockdown assist, hit opponent with unblockable, bnb, rinse and repeat

the only other unblockable set-ups are the high/lows, which means using the help of an assist, the assist hits either high or low while the point character does the opposite, a great example is using wesker's samurai edge assist, it hits low, so send out the assist and then jump in the air, if you time it right, the opponent cannot block this while he or she is on the ground (to avoid it, they simply have to chicken block)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
get to 6th and stop, there's no reason to go higher except for personal acheivement but anyways...good luck finding a match right now

everyone is playing SFxT

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah it sucks. I can't play Umvc3 in person with anyone anymore. All the guys at my gamers club only play SFxT and I suck at that game =/

All I can resort to is crappy Ranked Matches as 3rd lord, I swear these games recently keep getting laggier and laggier. The only reason I really play it right now is because I want to get on Maximillion's Online Warrior show, but hes never online lamo.

Top Bottom