• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I just think of tripping being Sakurai trolling for the lulz. It's not that big of a deal, and doesn't equate in a free stock nearly as much as a FS or a general screwup. Hell, the only times tripping has killed me was when I was playing stupidly and it was a capstone to my failure.

Afro Glo

Smash Rookie
its really 50/50 for me tripping saved me from running into a FS one time but also stopped me from getting one another. Also it doesn't happen often but sometimes it happens in quick succession which is annoying to me.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
3) Stop being dumb, I made no statement saying that I wanted all of the old ATs in, your elitist posts do not make you sound smart.
"Elitist posts"? You're funny. Can I keep you as a pet?
Even with an 1% chance, some people tend to have worse luck then others.
Oh my, some people have worse luck than others? Why, that's quite random.
I propose, here and now, that we ban luck from tournaments. Can't have one guy with too much luck, that would be unfair.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
"Elitist posts"? You're funny. Can I keep you as a pet?

I propose, here and now, that we ban luck from tournaments. Can't have one guy with too much luck, that would be unfair.
Wow, you're so cool. I wish I was just like you
Being your pet would be like a dream come true ! ^ ^

April Fools

Shepp

Smash Apprentice
i tripped on the delphino stage right as the platform started to fly away and lost the match becuase of it....tripping sucks

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Whether I trip and end up avoiding death due to it, or trip and end up dying do to it, then tripping has changed the outcome of the game.

Anytime the game itself can randomly decide the outcome of a match, then there is a problem.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It's comical, besides you get a nice roll out of it so it actually gives you a bit f an advantage.
*Looks at post count*

*Looks at join date*

*Looks at title under name*

Everything is in order for this post to clear sir. Have a nice day.

Nixis

Smash Cadet
hahaha... hey guys, i love tripping... you know why? cuz every time i trip... its seems like theres a bom-omb or an f-smash waiting for me... and i trip a lot. oh yeah, tripping is the best! why don't we make the entire game tripping so we just trip and roll all the time!

seriously, anyone who tripping can help your gameplay or even evolve it is on drugs. anyone who lives and accepts it is okay, but they must not an serious brawler. any sane person would see that tripping is probably the most ******** thing that has entered the world of smash. if a beat someone up because he's tripped 15 times in the past three minutes, he's not going to be having fun, and it's not fun beating someone up so easily either.

well it is. but theres not a lot of excitement.

here's a list of how tripping can affect you in a bad way:
random times coughintoasmashcough
which can change the result of the entire game
affects your dash
which in turn affects techs like foxtrot
cancels combos
etc, etc, everything that has ben stated over a million times in this thread.

heres how tripping can affect you in a good way:
it's "comical". i don't see how getting killed is comical, but okay
it gives you a roll. ZOMG SO DOES ROLLING! WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!
umm... it... yah ok thats all i can think of

hopefully, people can start truly love tripping now...

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
It's bad, but it's still only a small problem. Especially since brawl is slower, people will have more trouble punishing you. If tripping were in melee, you'd never get out of a trip unpunished, but that's fortunately not the case in Brawl.

And games like Super Turbo have more randomness, and it's one of the most competitive games ever. :bee:

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
My personal opinion is that, even if tripping, items and hazards are removed from a game like Smash Bros, luck will still be a prominent factor. If the game relied purely on skill, the best players would win every time. That has never been the case in any Smash game, even Melee. The action can move at such a fast pace that armchair strategy sometimes goes awry, and skill and familiarity aren't always enough.

The fact of the matter is that luck cannot be removed from the game, so in the end we have to live with it. That having been said, tripping can be controlled to some extent; it is not entirely random. From what I have found, tripping most often occurs when a character goes from zero motion to a full-speed run, or when the character turns and runs the other direction. This encourages fluidity of motion, instead of a run-stop-run-stop-run-stop style of gameplay. If you adopt your movement style to accommodate this, you will rarely be a victim to tripping.

And let's face it; unless you trip right in front of Ike's F-smash, it's a factor that will hardly be gamebreaking. You generally end up rolling right out of it anyways.

Esca

Smash Champion
*Looks at post count*

*Looks at join date*

Everything is in order for this post to clear sir. Have a nice day.

hahhahhaaa..

*Looks at post count*

*Looks at join date*

(Looks like this guy has waayyy too much time, and has nothing better to do but be a cynical, detached ***.)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i tripped on the delphino stage right as the platform started to fly away and lost the match becuase of it....tripping sucks
See, the obvious solution (which the Trip Brigade will beat into you) would be to never ever do anything that could possibly trip you whenever the stage is going to change!

Nixis

Smash Cadet
If the game relied purely on skill, the best players would win every time. That has never been the case in any Smash game, even Melee.

what are you talking about? the best players, believe it or not, actually do win basically every time! luck plays a role, but tripping stretches luck too far. as far as i can think of, damage is the only thing based mainly on luck, because the same attacks don't always do the same damage. the stages based on luck (arwing lasers, falling tools) are almost all banned, so theres nothing to worry about there. even knockback direction and stuff can be controlled. take the Ken Combo. that stuff is not luck.

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
what are you talking about? the best players, believe it or not, actually do win basically every time! luck plays a role, but tripping stretches luck too far. as far as i can think of, damage is the only thing based mainly on luck, because the same attacks don't always do the same damage. the stages based on luck (arwing lasers, falling tools) are almost all banned, so theres nothing to worry about there. even knockback direction and stuff can be controlled. take the Ken Combo. that stuff is not luck.
The best players don't always win every time. I can say that from my own matches and the matches that I've witnessed, because I've played tournament-style with people, and there are some that I've beaten who were probably better than me, and I've been beaten by people who are probably worse than me. Matches come down to making split-second decisions in the heat of the moment, and even better players end up making some mistakes over the course of a fight. If you just catch one too many bad breaks, you could be beaten by someone worse than you, definitely. I think most smashers understand what it feels like to play competitively and passionately, only to make one wrong move and lose the whole match. Now, the customary answer to this is 'well, if you made a mistake, you aren't very skilled at all, are you? You deserve to lose.' But if the choices initially appear equally appealing, and you don't know what your opponent will do, it sometimes comes down to a simple rock-paper-scissors type scenario, where you simply hope your move will be advantageous against what your opponent is planning. I think most smashers have been in a situation like that. Luck does play a part in matches, from my experience... how great a part, I cannot really tell. It depends on the circumstances.

However, playing more and becoming more familiar with the game mechanics helps to lessen the chance of a defeat, as does skill. Tripping, from what I have seen, is semi-controllable; in my matches, it generally happens when you start from standing to dashing at a very fast rate, or when you turn around to run. If you have more fluidity, this variable can be controlled, and a familiar player can avoid tripping. The more you run, the more you trip. Don't run so much, you won't trip so much. That's not to say you won't trip at all, of course, but we can't control everything.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Corigames

Smash Hero
(Looks like this guy has waayyy too much time, and has nothing better to do but be a cynical, detached ***.)
I average 3.05 posts per day since joining. That leaves me with no time to do anything. I know, I fill up my schedule way too much with being a complete jerk that I just don't know what to do!

6footninja

Smash Ace
Then your opponent should have won. Tripping has randomly determined the outcome of a match regardless of who played better. And you wonder why competitive players don't like it.
i see where you are coming from...but even competitive players can be whiners. They aren't any better than anyone else to be flamed for whining. If you can't change it, suck it up and live with it.

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
I just want to know why they putting tripping? Its not big problem for me but I am an causual player

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
“That player worked hard to deserve that win, and instead a random game mechanic decided that they lose instead. Seems pretty lame. Why don't we just skip the match and flip a coin instead?”
- Taymond

I only read the first 3 pages before putting my input in. Anyway, I hate tripping. It has cost me more games than won. Anyway, with that said I still intend to play the game competitively and have begun practicing tripping/evading. I think when it happens, the only thing we can do is yell something at random and continue playing.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
It’s a minor nuisance. No big deal. Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris used to trip all the time when they fought. It adds realism to the game and its Sakurai’s way of saying “hey its just a game, lets just enjoy each other’s company."

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
It's only annoying to me if I let it get to me.Like I'll be beating the crap out of someone,I trip and let it affect me.I just combat it by trying to continue to be consistent.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's not something that'll even come close to "ruining" the game, but I still hate it nonetheless. It doesn't add anything to the game at all, and yes, it's killed me on more than one occasion.

What makes me mad is the idea that the winning fighter tends to trip more often. I may be imagining it, but I trip much more when I'm winning by a stock or more, and the same happens to my opponent when I'm behind. I can DEFINITELY see Sakurai doing this.

DQP

Smash Ace
i've tripped a lot of times. i stopped counting and 412 or something

but since it's random, it's not good for tournaments.

oh no! are brawl tournaments deconfirmed!?

just kidding

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if you been keeping up with the meta game, they do ban luck from tournaments as much as possible, which is the reason why items are not allowed. That's also why hardly anyone complains about random Bob-Ombs (as items), because they can be disabled, unlike tripping. It's also why sudden death isn't used to decide a winner in the event that it comes up, but rather, they go by who has the lower percent to decide the winner.

I'm beginning to think with the way you post, you don't even seem to understand the competitive mind set.

It’s a minor nuisance. No big deal. Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris used to trip all the time when they fought. It adds realism to the game and its Sakurai’s way of saying “hey its just a game, lets just enjoy each other’s company."
Realism, in Smash? Oxymoron anyone? While we're on the subject of realism involving tripping...

Am I the only one who thinks random tripping is unrealistic, period? How often do people ever trip in a real fight on their own? How does anyone that can walk and run correctly ever trip while on suitable ground? Ain't the only time in real life you would ever trip is on a bad surface like ice or if someone or something causes you to trip?

If you had an 1% chance of tripping in real life anytime you ran, better hope if you run across the street, that 1% chance doesn't kick in and screw you over.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
The other day I tripped and it saved me from getting hit. If we could figure out how it works it would be pretty useful as an advanced technique. Then again it takes a while to get back up so and it's impossible to figure out what exactly s done when you trip (It's one of the mysteries of life) so maybe not lol

Top Bottom