• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

1Two3

Smash Rookie
Tripping is the most annoying mechanic ever... but it could actually save your butt sometimes. I agree that it can cost you the match, but sometimes when things are intense and you suddenly trip (breaking up the tension) it allows you to come up with a new move. Until Sakurai can define the reason behind this, we can only discuss.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
The only character I ever trip with is Marth,hasnt happened to me once with anyone else and im not even maining Marth.

Marths n air and u smash seem to make him trip like a mofo.

Dragonslayer9

Smash Cadet
Does tripping only happen when you run too much or does it just happen randomly?

A PMed explanation would be nice since this forum is way to popular to look for a reply.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
It's a bad idea that shouldn't be in the game, but it honestly hardly bothers me at all. I have it once or twice in a match, sometimes 3 or 4 at the most. It can actually save you at times I think.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
It's a bad idea that shouldn't be in the game, but it honestly hardly bothers me at all. I have it once or twice in a match, sometimes 3 or 4 at the most. It can actually save you at times I think.
*sigh* And so.. when it saved you, what do you think it did to your opponent?

I'm not trying to be mean, really, and I'm not trying to convince you that tripping is the worst thing in the world, it's just.. if you stop and think about that argument, "Tripping can even HELP you!" that is often used.. if you think about it for even a second, you realize that there is more than one person in a match. Every trip that helps someone hurts their opponent, every trip that hurts someone helps their opponent. Just because the suffering was somewhere else, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Conservation of Mass, meet you new sister law, "Conservation of Fail."

For every Win, there is an equal and opposite Fail.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Well that's entirely true, but things like Wavedashing hurt your opponent too. Of course it makes things unfair, and it shouldn't be in the game, I'm just saying it doesn't bother me.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Regardless of whether or not it effects you its hard to deny the annoying mechanic that tripping brings into it. Those saying it isn't a big deal, why the heck is it even in there? Did Sakurai decide that it would be funny by adding in this element?

I see no need or purpose for it. All it does is mess up people's games.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I agree that tripping is a completely stupid addition, but I don't think it's all that bad, as it hardly ever happens, and I've personally have not seen anyone lose a stock to it in any match I've played.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well I've never skydived, nor have i personally witnessed anyone skydive.

But a lot of people skydive. And a lot of people DO lose stocks to trips. It happens regularly in the group I play with, in fact. Whether or not you've witnessed it or even believe in it, the problem exists. It does take stocks away. It ends matches early, and in close-call situations, too. Just yesterday I won a match that was down to the wire, one stock left for each of us and KOable damage on both of us, against my roommate.

"Eh, I don't think so" isn't a particularly valid argument. Think what you will, but it IS a problem, and it DOES decide stocks AND matches.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
You at least controlled wavedashing, and both people had the option to do it.
I know, but it's just another example of something that can hurt either player, except not random. If Tripping hurts you it's bad, and if tripping hurts the opponent, it's good.

If you think about it, it's kinda evened out... ;D

But I'm not at all denying it's a stupid mechanic. Like I keep saying, it just doesn't reall bother me. It's also quite hilarious sometimes.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I guess I just have to disagree with you because

A) It's not even if you are out of the tournament because you tripped and died and they moved on
B) It's never funny, for anyone. When you see someone trip, you usually pity them
C) If it hurts my opponent, it may not be good. Because they may have tried to fall right into my mind game and accidentally broke out because of tripping, so I had to punish them with something else instead. Not cool.

It is dumb. It's not fair. It's not funny. It's annoying. WHY?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
It's a fallacy to claim that tripping is okay because "it evens out." In order for tripping to truly "even out," you would have to take the number of matches played between every pair of players to infinity. If two players played that many matches, then eventually, the number of times that a trip had a negative result for one opponent will equal the number of times that a trip had a negative result for the other, and the gravity of these trips should even out, as well.

But that's not the reality of the situation, that's not the case. Tournaments consist of a small amount of matches between any two players, and it is incredibly unlikely that tripping in general and the potential undeserved gain/loss that results from tripping will be evenly distributed between the players in such a small sample group. One, overall, will have an advantage he didn't deserve. Tripping does not "even out" on a small scale.

It's not enough to say "it's funny." The only amusement I ever get from a trip that results in a death, is sad, despaired amusement that such a horrible judgement call on the part of the developers could've really made it into the final product. The only smiles tripping gets out of me are woeful, regretful smirks of tolerance, because one can do nothing but tolerate the absurd mechanic. A detrimental trip in a match with my friends elicits sighs and rolled-eyes all around, and little more.

Competitive communities seek to remove as many random elements as possible, and tripping is just one, nagging, stupid random element that can't be removed. It has no valid redeeming qualities.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Conservation of Mass, meet you new sister law, "Conservation of Fail."

For every Win, there is an equal and opposite Fail.
lol mind if I sig this?

Anyway, my theory on why tripping is in the game is to hinder competition. Brawl was designed more to be a party game instead of a competitive game. I just wish there was some way to turn it off. It's really weird when certain characters trip like MK & Charizard who are flying (wtf) & ROB who doesn't even have legs. Those characters tripping is about as realistic as a car tripping, but then again since when is smash bros realistic?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Uh.. *laughs* what exactly is your stance, rubiksfriend? It sounds like you're trying to refuting an earlier claim that wavedashing could be equated to tripping, a refutation I agree with, but you're actually, in effect, equating them quite well.

Neither tripping nor wavedashing directly causes damage. But a player has control over wavedashing, a player chooses to wavedash. A player does not choose to trip.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
The evening bit was a joke ;-;.

But in friendly mathes, I find it hard to believe that noone has ever found tripping funny. Like I keep saying over & over, Tripping is a stupid idea that shouldn't be in the game, but it doesn't bug me much.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Mario also can't whip out the FLUDD in Mario Galaxy.
Samus can't kick or punch in Metroid Prime.
Link can't even jump.
Assault was a terrible game.
Sonic just plain sucks now.
Meta Knight is a homosexual.
Really, you're trying to reason why they tried to add REALISM into a game with a bunch of characters from different universes. Realism that isn't very realistic at that.
dude I'm speaking on behalf of what sakurai wanted, not my self. I didn't state that anything about myself seeing smash as a realistic game, just the fact that sakurai added tripping and referred to it as a realistic factor. Maybe I should've used a different term, smash isn't anything close towards being real, in fact, its surreal. Most of these characters do not even coincide within the same gaming universe, I know that, and all of the obvious things you stated (some of them at least) are true.

Long story short, what I should've asked is to why sakurai added tripping in brawl as an intregal element within the game and supported it fully as if it were a good thing. Randomly running and tripping constantly doesn't exist in any of these characters games, so why add them now? It doesn't seem logical or reasonable, and the nature of tripping randomly and constantly doesn't seem at all "realistic" in terms of the physics of smash or fighting unless something makes you trip like a slippery terrain or an attack from an enemy that causes you to trip...

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I won a tournament match because a fox trot happy Marth tripped into my MK's D-smash.

I mean, it's completely random and people dont expect it. IMO it makes people less likely to use ATs like Fox trotting, pivoting, and Phannas dash dance. Annoying is an understatement, I've lost and won stocks because of this.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
enuff said, there is only one way out of this tripping disease.
ACTION REPLAY
Can anyone derive a code to eliminate tripping once and for all? If so, every tourney should require this...

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Man, I have never seen so much complaining in one thread before. Get a grip, you people. Tripping is not that bad. Sure, I've been punished for trips, and lost stocks, but so have my opponents. What, a game can't be competitive unless it's perfectly predictable?
If tripping ruins competitive smash, then why are you people still playing it? If I see any of you people at one of my tournaments, I'll be sure to make fun of you.

Oh, and if you keep losing stocks because of trips, maybe you should reconsider your playing style. After a few times of it happening to me, it stopped happening so much because I stopped relying simply on pressing my offense in high-risk situations. It ended up balancing my game out and making me better, in fact.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I hate tripping.

It has stopped my combos way too many times. It makes playing Diddy more fun though. Bananas for the win!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Oh, and if you keep losing stocks because of trips, maybe you should reconsider your playing style.
You know what? You're right. I'm going to change how I play. I'm going to not move. Ever. I won't ever trip again. Also, I'll have to make sure never to get hit, because sometimes moves against you make you trip. Yeah, my technique will be perfect.

If you don't want to read posts about people being annoyed with tripping, don't go into a thread titled, "Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?"

peeup

Smash Lord
Yeah, tripping is annoying, and yeah, Sakurai is retarted for putting it in teh game, but still... Just learn to deal with it, cause I don't think that Nintendo is going to recall every game to fix a stupid mistake. It's just a random occurance that *might* cost you a stock. BUT, doesn't G&W's Judgement have a 1 in 9 chance of doing massive knockback? Should they have taken that out?

Corigames

Smash Hero
No, because G&W has the CHOICE to use it on someone and you can avoid being hit by it. You can't avoid tripping and you have no choice in the matter.

Tripping shouldn't be in. It's wouldn't be hard to have a patch where there is a tripping on/off switch. If you like to lose stocks, get your combo broken, miss an edgeguard, or get punished in some other way by tripping, you can leave the switch on. Otherwise, give the people the option not to.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
You know what? You're right. I'm going to change how I play. I'm going to not move. Ever. I won't ever trip again. Also, I'll have to make sure never to get hit, because sometimes moves against you make you trip. Yeah, my technique will be perfect.

If you don't want to read posts about people being annoyed with tripping, don't go into a thread titled, "Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?"

Hahahah funny...

Black Dragon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I find it annoying at times. Costs me some stocks, and gets me some free kills as well.

Could the game do w/o it? Yes. Would it be better for its removal? Absolutely. But I don't really complain about it as much as when I first started playing.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I find it annoying at times. Costs me some stocks, and gets me some free kills as well.

Could the game do w/o it? Yes. Would it be better for its removal? Absolutely. But I don't really complain about it as much as when I first started playing.
Nobody really freaks out about it anymore. When someone trips in a match, we all just collectively sigh dejectedly. We put up with it because we have no other choice, but that lack of choice doesn't change the fact that it really shouldn't be there at all. And we recognize that.

Edit, also, let me just snip this G&W/Luigi random move argument off before it gets going too far. The moves that G&W and Luigi have that have a random element to them are one of about 16 moves they have available to them. They have the choice whether or not to use that move, and if they choose not to, the consequences are relatively inconsequential. They still have a WIDE array of attacks to choose from.

Dashing is one of only 3 movement options. You can walk, you can dash, or you can jump, that's it. Yes, you have the choice not to dash, just like you have the choice not to use those moves with Luigi/G&W, but that choice impacts you MUCH more than it does those two characters. The choice not to dash has a far greater impact on a player, and it's far less feasible, overall.

The two aren't comparable.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I hate tripping when I'm running off the stage to edgegaurd an opponent. Then again I've been saved from gimpage do to opponents tripping as well. So it's always fun, just make sure you roll as soon as you're tripped.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Allow me to tell a story about Pokemon, if you will.

For anyone who played the original Pokemon games competitively, there's a certain number that is very significant: 99.6%.

What this number represents is the maximum accuracy for any attack, which means that in Pokemon RBY, there was no such thing as a 100% accurate attack. This meant that for any offensive action you performed, you had a .4% chance of completely missing even the most reliable of attacks. That's a little less than half the probability of tripping. And yes, although rare it would end up affecting the outcomes of matches.

Now, tripping is intentional, and 99.6% is a product of the limitations of a classic Game Boy cartridge, but regardless of intent the results are somewhat similar.

The funny thing is, though, that I never saw anyone in the community complain about 99.6%. It was simply accepted, and people played with it in mind.

Gotham7

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't happen enough to mess up the game. It's not like you are tripping even every game. Out of 4 games I tripped once so it's not that big of a deal.

However, I do believe that it doesn't add anything positive to the game and it was stupid to add such a crappy feature.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well the fact that you only trip 1/4 games means that... you only trip 1/4 games. Depending on how a person plays, individual players trip in different amounts. People don't all necessarily play the same match length. Some people may trip every match.

And, Nobie, people certainly complained about critical hits in Pokemon, I'm sure that people complained about max accuracy, too, to some degree. In fact, the reason not many people bothered to complain about max accuracy was probably because they were too busy complaining about critical hits, instead. Everyone who plays Pokemon seriously has probably lost a match to a critical hit, and they would all probably agree that there's nothing "earned" about a critical hit, there's no way to "deserve" one.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Allow me to tell a story about Pokemon, if you will.

For anyone who played the original Pokemon games competitively, there's a certain number that is very significant: 99.6%.

What this number represents is the maximum accuracy for any attack, which means that in Pokemon RBY, there was no such thing as a 100% accurate attack. This meant that for any offensive action you performed, you had a .4% chance of completely missing even the most reliable of attacks. That's a little less than half the probability of tripping. And yes, although rare it would end up affecting the outcomes of matches.

Now, tripping is intentional, and 99.6% is a product of the limitations of a classic Game Boy cartridge, but regardless of intent the results are somewhat similar.

The funny thing is, though, that I never saw anyone in the community complain about 99.6%. It was simply accepted, and people played with it in mind.
Accuracy was an important aspect of the game and people do ***** about it when a 100% accurate attack misses.

Abdu

Smash Rookie
Has Nintendo given a reason for adding tripping? I cant think of any reason they would have it. Was it a joke they forgot to take out before releasing, then played it off as a serious addition to not look like idiots? It must be so.

Top Bottom