• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Two videos from a recent tournament set with Poltergust:

Poltergust (Yoshi) v. Sky Pirate (Olimar) - Game 2
Poltergust (Yoshi) v. Sky Pirate (Olimar) - Game 3

The last time I fought him in a tournament set on RC, it didn't go NEARLY this well.
Learned a few things about fighting him on RC this time, too. Should go better next time.

@ Tin Man - I watched the first video (videos take so long to load when I'm at home).
Two major things:

- SLOW DOWN ON THE ROLLING. It's fine to roll occasionally, but that was just WAYYYYYY overboard.

- When you get hit, don't airdodge into him. That's an easy punish.

Asa

Smash Hero
clover, game 1 was greattt :) only thing i saw was that you used your double jump at dumb times when trying to land, which gave polt some really nice opportunities to punish with pivot grabs

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Come to think of it, only 1:08, 1:12, and 2:48 in the first video left him in a really bad position.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Come to think of it, only 1:08, 1:12, and 2:48 in the first video left him in a really bad position.
I mean, Tinman is the last person I would like to defend... but just saying, lol. I used to call out rolling as a bad habit, but then BSL pointed out that I do everything I tell people not to do.... and I just got back from winning a tournament, and I split first last week... and I rolled vs ICs and Snake for both my victories... a LOT... so.. yeah...
If it's not getting punished, I wouldn't tell someone not to do it.

k

we out

:shyguy: :shyguy:

Jane

Smash Hero
well just cuz he didnt get punished in that video doesnt mean you shouldnt advise him not to do it. i mean yeah, roll sometimes, but in general its just good advice to tell people to not roll.

Dnyce

Smash Master
well just cuz he didnt get punished in that video doesnt mean you shouldnt advise him not to do it. i mean yeah, roll sometimes, but in general its just good advice to tell people to not roll.
I present to a list of all of Olimar's moves that are punishable. Just because you don't always see them get punished, I feel like it's my duty (as a friend) to warn you guys.
Moves you shouldn't use because they are punishable:
-Jab1-
-Jab2-
-Utilt-
-Dtilt-
-Ftilt-
-Dash Attack-
-Nair-
-Usmash-
-Fsmash-
-Dsmash-
-Uair-
-Dair-
-Fair-
-Bair-
-Pluck-
-Whistle-
-Pikmin Toss-
-UpB-
-Standing Grab-
-Pivot Grab-
-Running Grab-
-Dthrow-
-Spotdodge-
-Airdodge-
-Forward & Back Roll-
-Get-up Roll - Forward & Backward-
-Normal Get-up - Front & Back-
-Ledge Roll (Under 100)-
-Ledge Roll (Over 100)-
-Ledge Attack (Under 100)-
-Ledge Attack (Over 100)-
-Normal Ledge Get-up (Under 100)-
-Normal Ledge Get-up (Over 100)-
-Ledge Jump (Under 100)-
-Ledge Jump (Over 100)-
-Get-up attack - On Back-
-Get-up Attack - On Front-

*List provided courtesy of Clover in his "candy" thread*

I expect every Olimar who reads this to win tournaments now because I have graciously provided my insightful feedback in which moves are punishable so that that fix their habit of using said moves.

The key word we're missing here is "predictably".
^Thissss

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice

I present to a list of all of Olimar's moves that are punishable. Just because you don't always see them get punished, I feel like it's my duty (as a friend) to warn you guys.
Moves you shouldn't use because they are punishable:
-Jab1-
-Jab2-
-Utilt-
-Dtilt-
-Ftilt-
-Dash Attack-
-Nair-
-Usmash-
-Fsmash-
-Dsmash-
-Uair-
-Dair-
-Fair-
-Bair-
-Pluck-
-Whistle-
-Pikmin Toss-
-UpB-
-Standing Grab-
-Pivot Grab-
-Running Grab-
-Dthrow-
-Spotdodge-
-Airdodge-
-Forward & Back Roll-
-Get-up Roll - Forward & Backward-
-Normal Get-up - Front & Back-
-Ledge Roll (Under 100)-
-Ledge Roll (Over 100)-
-Ledge Attack (Under 100)-
-Ledge Attack (Over 100)-
-Normal Ledge Get-up (Under 100)-
-Normal Ledge Get-up (Over 100)-
-Ledge Jump (Under 100)-
-Ledge Jump (Over 100)-
-Get-up attack - On Back-
-Get-up Attack - On Front-

*List provided courtesy of Clover in his "candy" thread*

I expect every Olimar who reads this to win tournaments now because I have graciously provided my insightful feedback in which moves are punishable so that that fix their habit of using said moves.

^Thissss
So don't play Olimar, got it!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Hey, there were some moves not on that list.

Like shield. XP

Dnyce

Smash Master
Hey, there were some moves not on that list.

Like shield. XP
Well, looks like I get to yell at someone for not completing the frame data :)

Dark orange use for extra authority appeals :)

I thought about adding walk, dash and jump as well, but I felt it would be excessive, lol

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I have a match I want to post. It'll be up later

Edit: I lied, I don't want to post it. I'm an awful player and my existence as a human being is a failure. Sometimes I wonder why I don't have a girlfriend, or make straight A's or have a big ****. But I blame life. I'm a repulsive individual who deserves not even M2K's *** all over my bedsheets or my mother.

Sorry for blistering your eyes with filth and lies.

Edit#2: How else would 'meat-up' with Ke$ha? She's so sexy. I would kill that thing.. Haha, thing.. lol. LOL! I'm laughing at that. But seriously, I bet she gives madd brain. No lie. It's funny cause she brobably gives more brain than she has. Rofl.

Edit#3: Who* and lol@brobably. Probably*

Edit#4: Oh and I really meant to say that if you search SwampNig*aVideos on youtube, you'll find mine. They aren't impressive. Mybad.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman

Edit: I lied, I don't want to post it. I'm an awful player and my existence as a human being is a failure. Sometimes I wonder why I don't have a girlfriend, or make straight A's or have a big ****. But I blame life. I'm a repulsive individual who deserves not even M2K's *** all over my bedsheets or my mother.

Edit#2: How else would 'meat-up' with Ke$ha? She's so sexy. I would kill that thing.. Haha, thing.. lol. LOL! I'm laughing at that. But seriously, I bet she gives madd brain. No lie. It's funny cause she brobably gives more brain than she has. Rofl.

Edit#4: Oh and I really meant to say that if you search SwampNig*aVideos on youtube, you'll find mine. They aren't impressive. Mybad.
D WHO????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dawgggg....a four edit rant...and you shut this thread up...
Nice :pimp:

Jane

Smash Hero

top 5 posts ive ever read on smashboards, right here.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Fino no like me :c?

I watched some of the videos on that channel. I like the song Cannibal by Keisha.

Asa

Smash Hero
Not sure if I'm more disappointed that you like Ke$ha, or that you spelled her name wrong.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
It's a wifi set. There's no way to know how much lag there was.

You need to whistle more. Save your second jump when you get sent offstage. U-air beats Rob's aerials from underneath.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

things i noticed you did wrong:

you got scared as hell off stage when you waited too long to recover and died twice as a result, after that you tried to recover too early and forget to throw out Necessary up-airs for recovery, you just wave to learn to recognize the situations you can and can't tether

you go too hard to combo, i noticed a couple time times you would take to the air against this ike, and then if you missed your follow up, you would be in a bad position because ike would have landed and you would be right above him. Generally, i find it better to wait on the ground for follow ups, and use jumps to bait airdodges, or jump low enough that even if i miss, i can land and pivot grab or upsmash. But i NEVER try to go hard on follow ups UNLESS i have a good read or know i can frame trap with upair (gets airdodged) to a fair

you throw side-B too much. Odd as it sounds, i don't throw side-B unless they are in the air NOT approaching into an attack spacing, or unless they are far enough then i can shorthop side-b and then land to pivot grab before they can reach me. only exception is when i have purple, which i chuck in any situation where it can hit or force a defensive reaction. Also, if you see him trying to stop side-b with attacks, that a free punish. The reason im saying this is because i noticed a few times you used side-b when the ike was in range, and then he landed a fair or something, which pretty much screwed you over.

Space more. PLEASE, TRY TO ALWAYS STAY WITHIN OLIMAR OPTIMAL RANGE, RIGHT OUTSIDE HIS GRAB/FSMASH RANGE. Its a pet peeve of mine when olimar's get out of their spacing and don't make any attempt to get back into spacing instantly, i noticed you stopped this the more the matches went on, but it should be something you don't even have to worry about.

Your OOS game isn't too good, you did shield grabs at the wrong time, did not use JC US OOS, didn't roll away or spotdodge OOS, you could of also waited in the shield until an opening was made by him attacking, or heck, even getting grabbed wouldn't be the worst thing compared todropping shield and getting faired or jabbed.

I don't see much use of specific pikmin colors, i try to use each pikmin the best based on their color, like abuse yellow priority, white's pummel damage, red's amazing aerials and favorable trades, ect. i feel like you just throw out all your attacks without considering pikmin too much

punish landings, quite simply, you never put yourself in a position to punish a landing

This is more of a playstyle technique then anything, but your attacks should create a wall of hitboxes and grab boxes, i didn't you utilizing the defensive but offensive pressure olimar can use, mainly because you don't play fast

I realize that you don't know how to play the MU, but those are the fundamentals you should work on. Your not bad at all honestly, you did good considering red-X actually knows a bit about the MU from me. BTW, you have AMAZING timing when it comes to spotdodges, i was actually impressed with the things you managed to spotdodge and punish.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I got about 3 seconds in.

Your first mistake was going to Smashville... unless that was his counter-pick you linked to.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I agree with pretty much everything you said, Thanks for ALL of this, appreciate it!

-What is JC US OOS and how do you perform it/when should I?

- I doubt it, but is their any kind of fips on playing fast?

@Dynce: nope, I wanted to beat him on that stage. I just figured I should be able to beat him no matter what stage we were fighting on :-/ This was a MM btw, we fought in tourney and he beat me 2-1. I won on BF. He CP'ed lylat and I just SD on purpose last / stocks because I got annoyed at how he kept getting the back throw -> dash attack and pretty much everytime.

:phone:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
From now on, individual video threads will be moved into here.
I'm going to be moving the previous RichBrown and dabuz video threads into here in a little bit.

BTW. mgw: To get a good bounce when you're trying to get a whistle bounce, you have to have a certain amount of momentum in a certain direction.

-What is JC US OOS and how do you perform it/when should I?
Canceling the shield drop animation with a jump.
If you have tap jump off, hold up while in your shield and hit jump and attack in quick succession (if you have the default controls, roll your right thumb across from X to A).

If you have tap jump on, why do you have tap jump on? =P

- I doubt it, but is their any kind of fips on playing fast?
Learning when to fastfall without getting landing lag from moves would be a start.

Top Bottom