• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
-You can do more than just airdodge when you're getting to the ground. Fair, Whistle, Dair, Bair, Nair, etc. You took a lot of damage from just airdodging.

- Don't fish for the Usmash so hard when he's at high percentages. You have other moves to kill with. And if you want, you can bait the falling Bair (which this Dedede seems to be fond of) and Usmash it OoS. Actually, you could really just use a lot more Usmash OoS in general.

-When he's floating there, get in under him and harass him with Uair or force him to do something. Don't just Usmash unless you know it can hit. He can just flat beat it out with Dair/Bair (and I think maybe Nair, not sure), so you're going to take a hit if you misspace it. You could also just run away and toss crap at him if you have room. He's really slow, y'know.

- You should try for Fair/Fsmash/Dsmash more when going for the kill. Dedede survives a LOT longer when you're trying to kill him off the top and Usmash puts you RIGHT next to him if he shields it.

-When he's recovering, look to punish the UpB. You could have finished it at 4:36 if you had just stayed near the ledge and Dsmashed. You can also beat out the falling action with Uair or Fair him out of it if you're at a safe distance to do so. If he tries to just hop to the ledge and it's going to take his last jump to do so (which it often does, if you knock him away far enough), try speedhugging it when he gets close and forcing him to UpB, land onstage, or risk Uairing and falling too far to recover. Just make him uncomfortable and give him something to think about.

-It's not a good idea to sit in your shield too long against a grounded Dedede. They like to grab, y'know?

- Play the match-up like you were from 3:52 to 4:08. Throw crap, punish approaches, and laugh at his slowness.

Sorry if my advice is mediocre. ^^;

williamwsharp

Smash Cadet
Hey guys sup! just to let you know, we the "Dominicans" Brawlers from Dominican Republic are gonna start putting videos more often, for those of you who understand or speak Spanish we got some funny commentating and interesting matches. The channel is new so we dont have a lot of videos, but expect those videos soon!

Heres one so you can critique my Oli if you wish, Im quite possitive about my oli :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBv2H6dWO9A&context=C31ce925ADOEgsToPDskInp2v_AzXtDdJ9fWkC3hDc

If you like watching Brawl vids please Subscribe to our channel :)

I promise you will be entertained!

williamwsharp

Smash Cadet
Hey guys sup! just to let you know, we the "Dominicans" Brawlers from Dominican Republic are gonna start putting videos more often, for those of you who understand or speak Spanish we got some funny commentating and interesting matches. The channel is new so we dont have a lot of videos, but expect those videos soon!

Heres one so you can critique my Oli if you wish, Im quite possitive about my oli :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBv2H6dWO9A&context=C31ce925ADOEgsToPDskInp2v_AzXtDdJ9fWkC3hDc

If you like watching Brawl vids please Subscribe to our channel :)

I promise you will be entertained!
No one? :(

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm sorry, I'll take a look in a bit. It just takes me a long time to load videos, so I have to work up the willpower to load one. ^^;

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Thanks a lot, Hilt :) (I'll wait for you to watch the rest, because I actually played quite poorly against Anoer =/) I should really keep in mind that the ledge is often an option... I tend to forget it.

Anyway, I'll try to come up with other videos next month, after the tournament we'll have on 2/18 in Paris =)

I'll take a look at these Dominican Brawlers videos later, sorry, it's like 3a.m. here in France right now xD

Dnyce

Smash Master
heres the only recent replay of my olimar in singles and doubles
singles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft-BOJZOY5g

dubs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5wN72jlmm4

I got 4th out of 100 with mostly falco/olimar using olimar against havok(1-2), and one match against fiction(i won the match), twice against burntsocks(2-1) lost with rob 2nd game
and 1st in doubles with luigi/olimar/rob
Only saw the first minute of singles, but it never occurred to me to have Pikmin near snake's explosives to mess with his timings. Interesting :) I'll have to watch more soon.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman

Kuja is Awesome

Smash Rookie

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Haven't posted any videos of my garbage Olimar in a while, so here's some friendlies.
Apparently it is impossible to get videos of my Olimar in tournament matches. ^^;

RedShadow (Wario) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)

PantyRaider (Marth) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4

Turazrok

Smash Master
Haven't posted any videos of my garbage Olimar in a while, so here's some friendlies.
Apparently it is impossible to get videos of my Olimar in tournament matches. ^^;

RedShadow (Wario) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)

PantyRaider (Marth) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4
Rolled a lot against that wario which he punished pretty consistently.. liked the grab game, but should you be using more tilts/nair? I get wrecked by wario on the regular THANKS JNIG. Really solid play tho cuz I always lose to wario.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yeah, I cringed when I saw all the rolling in the replay. Dunno why I was doing that.
I'll remember to use tilts a bit more, thanks!

Jnig's also a lot better than Red, BTW. Pretty sure I'd always be losing to him, too.
He's REALLY good about using his fart to intimidate.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Regarding the first one:

I laughed so hard at the trip dodge.

There were a couple of things I saw in the first game that really stuck out:

Panic Nairs OoS
1 2 3

Defaulting to jumping from the ledge
1 2 3 4 5

It seemed like your primary options were just "drop from ledge Uair" and "jump from ledge" in the first game and you chose "jump from ledge" pretty often.
You got a lot better about both of these in the second game, but you were still Nairing on shields

You could have avoided a lot of damage at the beginning of game 2 if you didn't keep floating back into him. Not sure if that happened much in the first game, but it was really noticeable here.

I'd find more habits and examples, but I just watched through all ten minutes 2-3 times and I'm not really feeling up to watching it again. ^^;

Your Olimar's pretty fun to watch. You REALLY have the spike SDI down, too. Do you play against Falco often?

Turazrok

Smash Master
Uhh in the first one, you didn't ever punish side-b with utilt, even when it was super apparent. You also fell for his f-smash traps on the edge a lot. Personally I would've play more aggro but you obv did well with a campier style so personal pref I guess.

Yeah a lot of jumps from ledge.

Asa

Smash Hero
ya darkm is my main training partner and i play soren a lot on wifi so i get a lot of falco exp

clover said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceai_5BqKPg

fuuuu i made a post but server error D:

anyway.. clover in this vid and the 3rd vid, the thing i noticed was that you wouldn't up-b when the ledge was free. Panty looked like he knew that you wanted to go for a jump-> uair, so he waited until you jumped to grab the edge. if you had up-b'd when the opportunity was available, you wouldn't have gotten gimped as much. Your reaction time punishing the 3rd hit of dancing blade needed some work too

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Against both Falcos, you didn't use the fact that our utilt clanks with phantasm, as is stated here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12481568&postcount=2

That 32 frames allows us to punish with:
usmash (slightly charged)
fsmash (slightly charged)
dsmash (slightly charged)

jump (7 frames to become airborne) followed by fair, nair, or dair.

pikmin toss (ends on 25, make sure it's non-purple) followed by:

buffered dtilt (hits on frame 31)
buffered jab (hits on frame 29)
buffered utilt (hits on frame 31)

I would suggest doing pikmin toss --> buffered dtilt, since we get sooo many followups from that. Low percents you could do dtilt --> usmash, high percents just start juggling with uair.

Asa

Smash Hero
i know utilt clanks with phantasm for followups, i just wasn't confident enough with the read to land it precisely

dtilt doesn't give you that many followups =.=

@ Zori: Against razer I saw forward roll or forward roll->forward roll as a common option when you got dthrown. you weren't blocking as many nades as you should've with pikmin toss as well

Asa

Smash Hero
-ledgehop fair isn't safe on shield, stop doing that.
-whistle when you double jump to prevent getting gimped.
-keep in mind what pikmin are in your line at a given moment, when you went to punish sometimes, you used a white usmash, which may not have been the best option at the time.

game 2
-i think when you landed a blue grab on snake at 160, should've tried for the uthrow, would've had a better chance of killing than an fthrow.

- why are you running into snake ?
-camp more

swag c4 kill tho

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Fino :olimarbrawl: vs MJG :toonlinkbrawl:

Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mvlHdUfADI :olimarbrawl:
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIqNG6EUnmI :olimarbrawl:
Game 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKDdsTwt_w :toonlinkbrawl:
Game 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5quo1hIMic :toonlinkbrawl:
Game 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFC9TjyoLNU :toonlinkbrawl:
Wow that has got to be the gayest character... move over spamus

SRSLY though, you played really well, but MJG started reading your instant returns
Made me lol when your purple cancelled out his boomerang and he just sat there as it flew halfway across smashville and hit him in the face

But yeah... obvious comment is obvious, but try not to get knocked off the stage as much, as MJG is good at getting 25% min on you every time you get knocked off
Also tink's dsmash is ridiculously gay #game2stock2

Dnyce

Smash Master
Lol I forgot that dsmash even happened. Still won ^^; And yeah, instant return is really the only option mj tries to cover

Frio

Smash Champion
Alphicans IC/MK vs Frio Oli - Prefer help on the MK match up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9INdnSbsaM&feature=relmfu I'm not too sure what to do against mass nado shield pressure. I've also noticed if I whistle the last hit of nado my pikimin sometimes aren't with me, should I just retreat after i whistle nados?

Killock (marth) Vs me Oli http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlZdOexcHo&feature=player_detailpage#t=2595s general advice would be nice

LONG *** MATCHES- 3rd match is at 9:28, preferably critique that one Kurado Sonic Vs me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JSzkzmvME&feature=relmfu I know I roll a lot in these matches, I have a mental block with this guy and I always panic roll =/ What do I do when Sonic starts air camping me?(seen in game 3)

I'm trying to work on the rolls lulz

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Hello guys, i'm looking for over all critique. Here is a set between myself and BPow from Phoenix Saga 4 last Saturday.

I went ICs game 1 because I am complete butt at the Olimar/Wario MU. But Game 2/3 I put on my boots and used Olimar. So yeah any advice is welcomed, just looking to get better.

- FF Ori_bro :olimar:/:popo: vs BPow :warioc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKmtqn1Ji4

:phone:

steep

Smash Lord
I have a couple recordings of my Olimar that I would like put on youtube but no way of getting them off my wii… Would anybody be able to upload them if I sent you the replay data?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
ME GIVE IT A SHOT

[collapse=General Tips Relevant to Your Games]- Usmash OoS gives us a new option on platforms. Take a hit from below on-shield and Usmash OoS. If the pikmin lives, it could put them above you instantly.

- Just needs more Usmash OoS in general. There were some things you could have really punished with it.

- Uair is better than Nair for momentum canceling. Smash Up on C-stick, fastfall when it comes out, happy times (unless it hits really horizontally, like 5% of Brawl moves)

- Try fastfalling and then airdodging sometimes to get grounded. You don't just have whistle.

- Falco's a match-up that you kind of have to learn by playing. You can camp with shorthops if he's lasering, but you have to be able to act when he's about to Phantasm. Shorthop toss one, fastfall and brace for action, shorthop toss, FF and brace. Don't just mindlessly jump and toss.

- Pay more attention to your line and be more organized. Filter down to colors you want. Falco really seems to hate yellow.

- Remember that we can get as much as Falco can get from a grab at a low percentage, if not more. Keep him from getting chaingrabs and be mindful of your combos.
Just DON'T fish for the grab too hard. If he's running, don't just chase him and grab.
Work him down, pressure him, bait a phantasm, punish with grab.
OR move your camp to mid-range, wait for him to use reflector or phantasm, punish with grab if he reflectors, shield and reset the process if phantasm.
OR wait for him to just get impatient and just grab him when he moves in.
OR something else like that, whatever.
Sometimes you have to work up to the money shot, y'know?[/collapse]
[collapse=Game 1 Comments]0:06 - Always Dthrow combo Falco. You can get a lot from it.

0:11 - Avoid close-range until around 35%, just to be safe. Run and throw crap until then, plan to punish Phantasm.

0:15 - Good DI.

0:23 - The rule about not tossing pikmin at close-range still applies today, BTW.

0:38 - Why would you do this? He's already facing the way you drifted and he's shielding. ^^;

1:02 - If you're in that "inevitably getting gimped" position, it's sometimes better to delay the tether until the last possible moment. People pull up early sometimes, but don't rely on it.

1:12 - THERE YOU GO!

1:24 - OH WHAT THE

1:26 - GET AWAY

1:28 - Oh why

1:41 - Given Falco's semi-predictable recovery and the grab combos we have on most fastfallers, we can usually get a lot off of a grab on him. If you face away from the him, shield, and grab him after his Phantasm passes through a few times, it could make him afraid to use it. This would have been a good time to do so, as you were already facing away from him and it was pretty obvious that he was going to do it.

1:56 - No ledgehog? Falco's recovery is pretty easy to ledgehog (if he's going for the ledge; make sure he's below the level to land onstage).

2:19 - Would've killed if you had Usmashed OoS.

2:40 - OH WHAT THE- Why did you just let him run in? Priority one for the first 35ish% is keeping the **** away from him![/collapse]
[collapse=Game 2 Comments]0:25 to 0:37 - You got a little... attached to that platform. ^^;

0:43 - Guessing you were still in Dair mode? Dair is usually a pretty bad move to divebomb like that.

0:49 - It's really easy to hit Falco out of Phantasm with Yellow Fsmash. You had two coming up.

1:52 - Be patient, filter your line while camping, and WATCH FOR APPROACHES. Don't get lazy in the middle of camping, you have to multitask and watch for him.

If you need to, create more space. You were moving forward slightly while camping, probably from the input.

2:34 - Dthrow -> Usmash -> possibly another Usmash -> Uair, get used to it.

3:12 - IDK about other Olimars, but I have a hard time punishing Falco's SideB with Utilt. I just face away from him and grab when he passes through instead, much easier.

3:29 - Should be reading this Falco's dodges and charging these smashes IMO.[/collapse]

Top Bottom