• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Translated Sakurai Famitsu Interview

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
People really care that much about Lucina being in the game...
Even after hearing the circumstances?

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
:link2::toonlink:

You also half described what makes Toon Link's meta game different.
The guys who're clones because they're the same guy? Every other clone has a reason to be one. Luigi started out as a 2-P Mario, Dr Mario is an alternate universe Mario, The Links are the same guy, Falco would've been trained like Fox was, Pichu is a baby Pikachu, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon have similar physiques, Marth and Roy have similar physiques and use weapons of a similar size, Marth used Lucina's animations in Awakening so she uses his here, and she called herself Marth for a portion of Awakening.

Chrom has nothing to do with Ike. Their characters have nothing to do with each other, they aren't the same person at a different age or in an alternate universe, they weren't trained the same, they don't have similar physiques and don't use weapons of a similar size. What possible reason would justify making Chrom and Ike clone except "because"?

In fact, if there had to be a smaller, faster Ike clone, Lucina would make more sense than Chrom. At least she and Ike both hold their swords near to their faces.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
:link2::toonlink:

You also half described what makes Toon Link's meta game different.
Toon link and Link are the same character though, he would obviously use the same tools that they both use. IKE AND CHROM DO NOT. Ike uses a massive sword. Chrom uses a toothpick. Chrom COULD be a clone of Marth because they use the SAME blade and are also the same size/height.

In terms that you could better understand... Could Marth be an Ike clone? No.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I can't believe this was ignored despite receiving likes for pointing it out.

Even tough it's subjective, do you realise that it could affect most of characters? Because it shows how Sakurai chooses his priority.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore it. To be honest, it seems obvious to me that Sakurai would choose characters this way. The problem lies with what may be obvious to you or me may not be obvious to anyone else. If Sakurai and his team are unable to think of an appealing concept for a character, then they'll give priority to someone else.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore it. To be honest, it seems obvious to me that Sakurai would choose characters this way. The problem lies with what may be obvious to you or me may not be obvious to anyone else. If Sakurai and his team are unable to think of an appealing concept for a character, then they'll give priority to someone else.
I know that that's why it's subjective.

I know it should be obvious but for something that confirms it, it's worth to mention.

It's just that let's say you support anyone and make a moveset, to reflect a more plausible one, you would have to reach a point when it generally make sense for the playstyle you tough of.

That's why I tough it was important. You can't put any moves to a character and call that unique.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's all fine and good, but the evidence suggests otherwise. In fact, on this same page...

...you blatantly insult Sakurai and is "reasoning". Yet you claim you're not trying to turn people against him and that he is one of your idols. Contradiction much?
Google "tough love".

HEY! How come you have a blue background on yours? No fair!! Well, two can play this game!

As you can see, I also have more likes to messages and a lot of trophy points. So it's fair to conclude that I also contribute something to Smashboards, just like Lucina contributes to Smash Bros. It might not be as big a contribution as yours/Marth's, but it's still a contribution. Who has the right to say that my/Lucina's existence is without merit?
...That point has literally nothing to do with the Marth/Lucina comparison. And I never undermined you, not even in retaliation to you undermining me. Quit trying to twist my words.

The guys who're clones because they're the same guy? Every other clone has a reason to be one. Luigi started out as a 2-P Mario, Dr Mario is an alternate universe Mario, The Links are the same guy, Falco would've been trained like Fox was, Pichu is a baby Pikachu, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon have similar physiques, Marth and Roy have similar physiques and use weapons of a similar size, Marth used Lucina's animations in Awakening so she uses his here, and she called herself Marth for a portion of Awakening.

Chrom has nothing to do with Ike. Their characters have nothing to do with each other, they aren't the same person at a different age or in an alternate universe, they weren't trained the same, they don't have similar physiques and don't use weapons of a similar size. What possible reason would justify making Chrom and Ike clone except "because"?

In fact, if there had to be a smaller, faster Ike clone, Lucina would make more sense than Chrom. At least she and Ike both hold their swords near to their faces.
Really? People are still trying to argue that Link and Toon Link are the same guy, even after this post?

Actually the Hero of Winds (aka Toon Link) Isn't related to the Spirit of the Hero at all. After Zelda send the Hero of Time back to his time that actually removed Hylia's Spirit of the Hero from existence at the Adult timeline, hence there was no hero to save the land and Hyrule got flooded, causing the events of Wind Waker. Being in need of a new hero. Thus Wind Waker Link had to go through all these trials like Skyward Sword Link had to.

In other words. Toon Link is about as related to Twilight Princess Link as Lucas is to Ness or Ike is to Marth etc.
Ganondorf and Captain Falcon have similar physiques
Ganondorf is nearly two feet taller than Captain Falcon in canon, that is not what you call a "similar physique".

Did you seriously just mention a situational POSITION as to say Lucina could fit a role better than Chrom?

You're biased. End of.

I mean, I love my Rosie and all, but GEEZ...

BONUS:

Google Image searched Chrom, first result:

Last edited:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Really? People are still trying to argue that Link and Toon Link are the same guy, even after this post?
The Hero of Winds is Link. They are the same guy.

Ganondorf is nearly two feet taller than Captain Falcon in canon, that is not what you call a "similar physique".
Makes him a different size. Doesn't mean they don't have different physiques. Isn't Ganondorf only in SSBM because Sakurai could map Captain Falcon's moves onto him easily. Thus, similar physiques,

Did you seriously just mention a situational POSITION as to say Lucina could fit a role better than Chrom?
Yes. The way Lucina holds her sword when in a battle stance in Awakening and the way Ike does as a Ranger in Path of Radiance, which seems to be on what he's based on in Smash, as he isn't holding it like he does as a Lord, Hero or Vanguard, are valid ways of holding the Ochs guard in German Fencing. Chrom doesn't hold his sword in anything that resembles the Ochs guard, ever.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Hero of Winds is Link. They are the same guy.

Makes him a different size. Doesn't mean they don't have different physiques. Isn't Ganondorf only in SSBM because Sakurai could map Captain Falcon's moves onto him easily. Thus, similar physiques,

Yes. The way Lucina holds her sword when in a battle stance in Awakening and the way Ike does as a Ranger in Path of Radiance, which seems to be on what he's based on in Smash, as he isn't holding it like he does as a Lord, Hero or Vanguard, are valid ways of holding the Ochs guard in German Fencing. Chrom doesn't hold his sword in anything that resembles the Ochs guard, ever.
You are hopeless. You don't even make any rebuttals, you just repeat what you said as if the facts I presented mean nothing.

If that's how this thread is gonna go down from now on, I'm out.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Do I need to make rebuttals? Hyrule Historia refers to the Hero of Winds as "This version of Link" on page 154, and says on page 126 that "The Legendary Blade can only by wielded by the Hero". Translations of 2002 Famitsu articles says that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone because he had a similar body type, which is corroborated by this http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/1218/index.html. And my point about Ike and Lucina both using variants of the Ochs guard of German Fencing as their battle stance is something more than simply holding a sword near their face.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Wait, we're still arguing this?

How on earth are Lucina and Ike's styles even remotely similar? Ragnell is a freaking claymore. It and Falchion would be wielded differently no matter what. Is it even possible to properly fence with a claymore?

Let's lay out the facts again.

In game, Lucuna fights like Chrom, but inpersonates Marth
In game, we have nothing to compare chrom's style to but itself.
In game, marth and lucina use the same character model and thus use the same moves.
In game, Ike fights nothing like any of them.
In Smash, Ike fights nothing like how any of them would. The only exception is that Chrom and Lucina can both know Aether in awakening.

So, looking at this, where is this confusing argument coming from?

Last edited:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Wait, we're still arguing this?

How on earth are Lucina and Ike's styles even remotely similar? Ragnell is a freaking claymore. It and Falchion would be wielded differently no matter what. Is it even possible to properly fence with a claymore?

Let's lay out the facts again.

In game, Lucuna fights like Chrom, but inpersonates Marth
In game, we have nothing to compare chrom's style to but itself.
In game, marth and lucina use the same character model and thus use the same moves.
In game, Ike fights nothing like any of them.
In Smash, Ike fights nothing like how any of them would. The only exception is that Chrom and Lucina can both know Aether in awakening.

Not style, but the stance. Ike holds his sword above his head, and Lucina holds hers next to her face. Both are valid ways of holding the Ochs guard. Or would be if Ike actually held his sword in two hands.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Not style, but the stance. Ike holds his sword above his head, and Lucina holds hers next to her face. Both are valid ways of holding the Ochs guard. Or would be if Ike actually held his sword in two hands.
So... thus he's not using the style or stance and thus I continue to be confused.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
sonicbrawler182

He's been keeping this pointless discussion going this whole thread, ignoring most valid reasoning and purposely reacting to the flawed ones. I would advise to just ignore him for now cause there's obviously no stppoing him.

Qsmash

Smash Cadet
You are hopeless. You don't even make any rebuttals, you just repeat what you said as if the facts I presented mean nothing.

If that's how this thread is gonna go down from now on, I'm out.
Not to be rude, but you've been pretty much doing exactly that this entire thread with how Lucina is a terrible choice no matter what. Arguing people to the ground and believing what you choose to believe. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and call you a troll. You have no right calling Sakurai and Lucina fans hypocrites when you're showing yourself to be the biggest one right now. No, this isn't a discussing, its just pointless arguing.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Not to be rude, but you've been pretty much doing exactly that this entire thread with how Lucina is a terrible choice no matter what. Arguing people to the ground and believing what you choose to believe. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt

****, misread. Gah, I'm tired.

Last edited:

Qsmash

Smash Cadet
And that would be your opinion. I think she's a wonderful choice. Now we can agree to disagree, you can ignore her while I use her, and we go out and get a beer together and discuss the Mariners/Angels game from last night. Sound good?
I didn't say Lucina is bad. I was saying how he was saying she was bad.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai perfectly described Lucina as a "lucky" newcomer. She wasn't planned from the beginning, but specific circumstances led the development team to turn what would be a mere aesthetic change for Marth into a slightly tweaked version of said character.

She isn't stealing roster slots or anything like that. She'd have been in the game as a skin for Marth otherwise. At least, we now have a new gameplay choice, even if very similar to another character.

Those are just facts. Whether you like them or not is another question, but what can you do about that now? Lucina is in the game and she's Marth without the tip mechanic and slightly shorter range.

There are people who like her and people who don't. Breaking news: that can be said for pretty much every character in Smash, clone or not.

Last, and definitely not least, let's try to keep things civil. If things here worsen, infractions will be given. Trolling and flaming will not be tolerated.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not to be rude, but you've been pretty much doing exactly that this entire thread with how Lucina is a terrible choice no matter what. Arguing people to the ground and believing what you choose to believe. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and call you a troll.
Please quote me on where I said Lucina was a terrible choice. I merely think she was implemented poorly, even as far as clones go. It's not the act of choosing Lucina as a Smash rep, or even the concept of her being a clone - it's HOW she's executed as a clone. That's what I wasn't satisfied with, and Sakurai's reasoning for this doesn't make the problem go away, therefore, I can criticise it.

Quit calling me troll, I've been sincere.

sonicbrawler182

He's been keeping this pointless discussion going this whole thread, ignoring most valid reasoning and purposely reacting to the flawed ones. I would advise to just ignore him for now cause there's obviously no stppoing him.
The only reason I'm still here is because people keep quoting me, I get an alert, and people like you make dirty claims about me. Stop pointing fingers, like a child.

Do I need to make rebuttals? Hyrule Historia refers to the Hero of Winds as "This version of Link" on page 154, and says on page 126 that "The Legendary Blade can only by wielded by the Hero". Translations of 2002 Famitsu articles says that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone because he had a similar body type, which is corroborated by this http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/1218/index.html. And my point about Ike and Lucina both using variants of the Ochs guard of German Fencing as their battle stance is something more than simply holding a sword near their face.
Two context-less quotes by you don't stack up to the Hero of Wind's role in canon. He's a different character. Different timeline than the Hero of Twilight. He has different relationships and back story. Etc, etc.

One Google Translate isn't going to counter canon facts - Ganondorf is nearly two feet taller than Captain Falcon. That is not something you can argue against, it is common sense.

And a battle stance has nothing to do with this at all. My point is that Chrom could easily be an Ike clone if necessary, and if he was, Sakurai would seem much less contradictory in saying "Chrom could only be a generic swordfighter".

Last edited:

Qsmash

Smash Cadet
Please quote me on where I said Lucina was a terrible choice. I merely think she was implemented poorly, even as far as clones go. It's not the act of choosing Lucina as a Smash rep, or even the concept of her being a clone - it's HOW she's executed as a clone. That's what I wasn't satisfied with, and Sakurai's reasoning for this doesn't make the problem go away, therefore, I can criticise it.

Quit calling me troll, I've been sincere.
My mistake. I have chosen my words poorly. What I meant was how you're saying that her being the choice for a clone is terrible. Not so much that she was chosen. Some have given points on how they're fine with her being a clone and why it makes sense for her to be a clone, and yet you persist. Obviously everyone is not going to be pleased, but for someone who never played Awakening and doesn't care for Lucina, you sure are making a big fuss about it. As for Sakurai being contradictory, it has been stated numerous times that Robin has been the choice instead of Chrom, possibly as his potential for a creative moveset was more obvious and would take less work creating an all new moveset from scratch. As for why Lucina was chosen to be a clone instead of Chrom, Lucina has a ton of Japanese fans and has the most similarities to an existing member of the already confirmed cast of characters. It also makes sense, to have Chrom assist Robin in his Final Smash, as they are depicted as close friends in the game. What Chrom could have been is irrelevant at this point. Sure, Lucina could have had an original moveset, but they didn't plan for that. She is LITERALLY and alt costume with a slight difference. Not a big deal.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My mistake. I have chosen my words poorly. What I meant was how you're saying that her being the choice for a clone is terrible. Not so much that she was chosen. Some have given points on how they're fine with her being a clone and why it makes sense for her to be a clone, and yet you persist. Obviously everyone is not going to be pleased, but for someone who never played Awakening and doesn't care for Lucina, you sure are making a big fuss about it. As for Sakurai being contradictory, it has been stated numerous times that Robin has been the choice instead of Chrom, possibly as his potential for a creative moveset was more obvious and would take less work creating an all new moveset from scratch. As for why Lucina was chosen to be a clone instead of Chrom, Lucina has a ton of Japanese fans and has the most similarities to an existing member of the already confirmed cast of characters. It also makes sense, to have Chrom assist Robin in his Final Smash, as they are depicted as close friends in the game. What Chrom could have been is irrelevant at this point. Sure, Lucina could have had an original moveset, but they didn't plan for that. She is LITERALLY and alt costume with a slight difference. Not a big deal.
Nonononono, that's still not what I'm saying.

Other clones aside from Dr. Mario, add something interesting or a really defined twist or meta game difference. They may be overly similar and custom moves and equipment in Smash 4 may even make them redundant too. But in past games, they had their new twist to bring to the table.

Lucina doesn't have that quality in her current state, and the excuse for putting her in regardless of that does not excuse the problem. The alt costume route would have been fine for her if they had no intention to make her unique in anyway. Removing the tipper and calling it a day does not justify her having a slot of her own, regardless of her back story in relation to Smash 4's dev cycle. Sakurai's Famitsu article just makes this situation feel worse with the comments he made about Chrom.

They could have done more with her even as a clone, but in the three times Sakurai has had a chance to give us proof that he isn't doing that, he has simply mentioned the lack of tipper mechanic (in fact, the first instance, being her trailer, did not even make this much apparent).

People keep calling me a troll because any criticism against their waifu's perfect Smash portrayal can't possibly be valid in their eyes.

I have nothing against Lucina in her own game, but my first impression of her in Smash is the worst I've had with any character. A character revealed for Smash should make me curious about the character in their own game, and make me go in with an already established attachment, however minor. Lucina isn't doing that though. The way in which they are implementing her feels like pandering, solely for her niche fan base. I feel I am being forced this character for no good reason at all. I accepted Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and Robin, because they turned out to be character s I never knew I wanted, in a way. I figured any other characters I didn't care for before Smash, would do the same. Lucina isn't doing that though.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Google "tough love".

...That point has literally nothing to do with the Marth/Lucina comparison. And I never undermined you, not even in retaliation to you undermining me. Quit trying to twist my words.

You're biased. End of.

I mean, I love my Rosie and all, but GEEZ...

BONUS:

Google Image searched Chrom, first result:

Too bad Ike is the most different out of all of those sword posts. To be critical he isn't even holding his blade to his face, he's holding it on a parallel plane with his chest. However since you are looking at him from a grounded angle it appears that his sword is closer then it really is. Whereas Chrom and Marth look IDENTICAL in holding their sword at a downward angle from their face.

Might as well just have taken a bunch of pictures of people with swords in all types of positions and then just posted those.... oh wait you did. Your biased.

BONUS:
Is Ganondorf 2 feet taller then Capt Falcon in the game? Weren't you the one to say canon didn't matter? That's laughable.

and yes Toon Link is Link. Literally different incarnations of the same character. Therefore at a base level, the same. They are both Link.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Too bad Ike is the most different out of all of those sword posts. To be critical he isn't even holding his blade to his face, he's holding it on a parallel plane with his chest. However since you are looking at him from a grounded angle it appears that his sword is closer then it really is. Whereas Chrom and Marth look IDENTICAL in holding their sword at a downward angle from their face.

Might as well just have taken a bunch of pictures of people with swords in all types of positions and then just posted those.... oh wait you did. Your biased.

BONUS:
Is Ganondorf 2 feet taller then Capt Falcon in the game? Weren't you the one to say canon didn't matter? That's laughable.

and yes Toon Link is Link. Literally different incarnations of the same character. Therefore at a base level, the same. They are both Link.
I never thought I'd see someone stoop so low. Not even going to humour this, and I may as well unwatch the thread now.

Qsmash

Smash Cadet
Nonononono, that's still not what I'm saying.
I have nothing against Lucina in her own game, but my first impression of her in Smash is the worst I've had with any character. A character revealed for Smash should make me curious about the character in their own game, and make me go in with an already established attachment, however minor. Lucina isn't doing that though. The way in which they are implementing her feels like pandering, solely for her niche fan base. I feel I am being forced this character for no good reason at all. I accepted Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and Robin, because they turned out to be character s I never knew I wanted, in a way. I figured any other characters I didn't care for before Smash, would do the same. Lucina isn't doing that though.
There's nothing wrong with that. Its their job to pander. That's what the whole game is about. Its basically Nintendo Fanservice: The Game. She's new, relevant, and well liked. Why not throw them a bone?

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
hey guys we have 12 unique newcomers (including each Mii) and one clone

shut the **** up and stop complaining

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Really, guys?
The two Links are separate incarnations.

In fact, the only time we actually had two of the same Link in the same game was in Melee. One was literally just a younger version of the other.

D

Deleted member

Warning Received
@Mods, punish me as you see fit; I have no regrets for what I'm about to say.

If you're gonna talk **** about me, at least mention my name rather than trying to slip it under my nose, and don't do the whole "I HAD A DRAFT WRITTEN UP BUT THIS MORTAL IS BENEATH ME" shtick. At least I have the respect and human decency to address people directly when I call out their questionable points/points at disagree with.
Fine, sonicbrawler182. If sonicbrawler182 wants me to address sonicbrawler182 directly when I call sonicbrawler182 out for sonicbrawler182's bull****, I'll address sonicbrawler182 by name. Is that better, sonicbrawler182?

You are nothing but a troll looking for an excuse to complain and outright refuse to accept the situation for what it is and instead continuously rant about how Sakurai's a hypocritical dumbass just because Lucina's in the game as a clone and Chrom's not.
This is despite numerous people trying to get it through your thick skull that the situations for Chrom and Lucina are not the frigging same. But no, those people are just fanboys with hard-ons for Lucina to you.

And really? "I HAD A DRAFT WRITTEN UP BUT THIS MORTAL IS BENEATH ME" shtick?
You really are a moron. It's not that I have some God complex and you're just some lowly human not worth my divine grace; it's that trying to have a reasonable argument with you is legitimately a waste of time and sanity as it's like this:
to where there's no point in me responding to yesterday's quote or any hypothetical future quote and taking hours out of my days I could be spending studying for my upcoming Business Final to argue with a stubborn mule that's not budging from their ignorant position.
And that's from watching other users have to put up with you before and after my previous post. You are truly a lost cause and like all other trolls, deserve to just be ignored. Which is exactly what I'm going to do from now on.

Really, guys?
The two Links are separate incarnations.
In fact, the only time we actually had two of the same Link in the same game was in Melee. One was literally just a younger version of the other.
Both are incarnations of the same individual, Hylia's Chosen Hero.
Aside from that, Smash treats all Links as one and the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
@GoldenYuiitusin , you shouldn't be punished, you should be praised!!

Oh, and @ ChikoLad ChikoLad , the only person undermining you... is you. You're ruining your own credibility by keeping up this pointless argument despite several other posters and MODS telling you that you're wrong... Maybe you should take a few days to think things over, mate.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well this has become a bit over repetitive over the last couple of days, I think at this point it's best left alone since most of the central points have been made on the discussion and just kind of start accepting what's there and leave it at that.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Oh! I can't wait to see what Sakurai has to say about Lucina and Robin!! :secretkpop:
*reads through thread and sees all the pointless arguments*
Me:

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21

Oh, and @ ChikoLad ChikoLad , the only person undermining you... is you. You're ruining your own credibility by keeping up this pointless argument despite several other posters and MODS telling you that you're wrong... Maybe you should take a few days to think things over, mate.
This place makes me feel bad...

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i'm gonna probably get flamed for this but i don't care. all this arguing is going no where. lucina is in the game people. there's nothing anybody can do about it now. i think the mods should just lock up this thread.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Both are incarnations of the same individual, Hylia's Chosen Hero.
Aside from that, Smash treats all Links as one and the same.
Ah. Well I suppose we can agree to disagree.
I see the different incarnations as just ancestors of each other, and as such, different "Links". The only thing I see the same with either is that every incarnation of Link is The Hero.
In other words, I see "The Hero" as more of a title given to an ancestral line.
I see your point, though.

Also, I don't see how Smash treats all Links as one and the same, but that's probably because it's really late and I'm not thinking too hard about it.

I apologize if my post came off as brash. I didn't mean to assert my opinion.

i'm gonna probably get flamed for this but i don't care. all this arguing is going no where.
As is with every circular argument on the internet.
Pointing it out doesn't do anybody any good.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So.. trying to return on topic.. what we can still discuss here to save the thread?
Did anybody posted what Sakurai said about Little Mac?

"Punch-Out!!" arcade machines were in operation thirty years ago. The game was copyrighted in 1983--the same year that saw the birth of the Famicom.

Everything about the game was incredible to me: the wire-frame avatar and the cartoonishly exaggerated opponents, the multi-screen display reminiscent of the Nintendo DS, the synthesized speech. In a genre that tends toward launching punches at random, this game stood out as one that encouraged you to logically consider how to attack the opponent.

I suppose the Famicom version of the game is far more popular--which I of course understand, but its arcade predecessor is a classic in its own right.

That said, I certainly never thought I would ever get involved with the game's protagonist. I mean, the same goes for Mario, Link, Pit, and Megaman. At this point, I must have officially worked with the protagonists of more popular series than any other game designer in the world.

I recently announced the fifth newcomer to "Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U": Little Mac. Seeing as he is a boxing character, all he can use are his two fists, which places considerable limits on his movements and techniques--not to mention the fact that he's also pretty tiny. He's a truly interesting character, though.

First of all, his offensive capabilities on the ground are extremely high. He can close distances with a speedy sprint then counter with a powerful Smash attack without flinching from weak incoming attacks. He can swiftly dodge an oncoming barrage, counter in a pinch and then blast the opponent away with a megaton punch to turn the tables.

Little Mac also has his very own special system: the KO Gauge! The meter fills as you dish out and receive damage; once the gauge is completely full, you can unleash a deadly KO Uppercut. Utilize this system well, and you can easily blast through your opponents. Little Mac is a force to be reckoned with!

He's an adrenaline rush embodied, but he also comes with a glaring weakness: he's extremely clumsy in the air. His attacks are weak, and he leaves himself wide open both while attack and landing. He just flaps his arms around up there--it's pretty pathetic. His jump and recovery are also pretty unimpressive; get tossed off the ledge and it could easily prove fatal. He scores a lot of KOs in combat, but he also often becomes KO fodder himself.

In that case, you might imagine that a walk-off stage (note: stage in which characters cannot fall to their deaths) would be quite advantageous for such a character. I suppose that would tend to be the case, but there's no such thing as a walk-off stage without platforms or some difference in the level of its terrain.

Balancing a character comprised of opposing extremes is always quite difficult. Depending on the style of match, he'll either clobber the competition or get completely shut out. He could even become broken in some combat environments.

However, when choosing a character, I want to focus on whether he/she has some kind of special ability that no other character does, and whether he/she contributes to making a better and more enjoyable gaming experience. Compared to these two primary concerns, "balance" and "fairness" are afterthoughts. I mean, hasn't Smash Bros. always been that kind of game? You get together with your friends, duke it out and have a good laugh--that's what the game is really about. It's no fun if all the characters are the same.

After many rounds of testing, I can say with certainty that Little Mac will be a character to watch out for. You will need to strategize when you select him as your character--and when you face off with him as your opponent. I think having him in Smash really spices things up.

...That said, I haven't even announced the game's release date yet. For now, I'm going to keep on adding all sorts of elements to the new Smash."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah. Well I suppose we can agree to disagree.
I see the different incarnations as just ancestors of each other, and as such, different "Links". The only thing I see the same with either is that every incarnation of Link is The Hero.
In other words, I see "The Hero" as more of a title given to an ancestral line.
I see your point, though.

Also, I don't see how Smash treats all Links as one and the same, but that's probably because it's really late and I'm not thinking too hard about it.

I apologize if my post came off as brash. I didn't mean to assert my opinion.
Check Toon Link's trophy; First sentence: "Link as he appeared in The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass".
This at the very least connects "regular" Link and Toon Link, but it doesn't end there.
None of the Stickers use the Toon Link label, even the ones that are of the WW/PH Link.
Link's trophy also gives context that he is a recurring character as opposed to a Legacy Character.

And while not Link, the same concept applies to Zelda (which is more jarring since it actually has been established that each "Zelda" is a descendant and there are two Zeldas in the original two games with the same Link in both), with her trophy actually claiming "her role changes between titles" and bringing up events of both OoT and TP despite Zelda being the TP Zelda. (Though having a Sheik transformation and using spells from OoT may have to do with it, but at the same time proves that Smash Zelda is an amalgam, now taken a step further with the Phantom).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Check Toon Link's trophy; First sentence: "Link as he appeared in The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass".
This at the very least connects "regular" Link and Toon Link, but it doesn't end there.
None of the Stickers use the Toon Link label, even the ones that are of the WW/PH Link.
Link's trophy also gives context that he is a recurring character as opposed to a Legacy Character.

And while not Link, the same concept applies to Zelda (which is more jarring since it actually has been established that each "Zelda" is a descendant and there are two Zeldas in the original two games with the same Link in both), with her trophy actually claiming "her role changes between titles" and bringing up events of both OoT and TP despite Zelda being the TP Zelda. (Though having a Sheik transformation and using spells from OoT may have to do with it, but at the same time proves that Smash Zelda is an amalgam, now taken a step further with the Phantom).
I will just add a small curiosity here:

Link (pronounced /ˈlɪŋk/lingk) is the name shared by the main protagonists of the The Legend of Zelda series. There are many incarnations of Link, each possessing the Spirit of the Hero, with some of them being blood related as well.They are chosen by the Goddesses to protect the land from evil whenever deemed necessary

Princess Zelda (pronounced /ˈzɛl.də/ZEL-də) is the eponymous name commonly given to the females born into the Royal Family of Hyrule in The Legend of Zelda series. With the exception of Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask, an incarnation of Zelda or one of her alter egos has always been one of the central characters in the series.

Taken directly from zeldawiki.com

This is the vision of the Zelda community... but I need to agree, Zelda and Smash communities have different point of views...
Also, "Toon Link" have different incarnations, because Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks both have Toon Links and one are the descendant of the other, but again, I understood you point of view Golden.

Edit: Your avatar is like... LOL! The funniest one!

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Geez, fellas. Tensions are just through the roof here.

Can't we all just be happy about the game right now for what it is? There's a bunch of other cool stuff in this game to be happy about rather than complain about one aspect of it! You guys with me?

...No?

Huh.

*sigh*

Well okay then...

Morbi

Scavenger

I fail to understand why he is "wrong" just because posters and MODS are telling him that he is "wrong." It is his subjective opinion. If he feels as though Lucina is a less than ideal character despite the circumstances, that is a reasonable perspective. Perhaps she did not take nearly as long to develop as a more prominent character; however, that difference might be negligible as the notion is relative to the individual, a dependent variable. To an extent, I agree with him. However, I am biased towards Lucina, so I could never wholeheartedly agree.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess even as far as clones go, Lucina could have at least had a few tweaks in terms of her idle animations. I mean I understand why she is like this as she was originally a Marth alt and not even planned as a separate character but still.... (unless they where really pressed for time and didn't even have the time for that then I guess) And this is coming from somebody who doesn't really mind clones/semi-clones all that much and even mains someone who is often regarded as "the cloniest of Brawl clones". :toonlink:

But anyway, this argument has just been going around in circles as well as expanding to other off topic discussions such as wether Link and Toon Link are the same people or not (Which I admit I was partly to blame for that so my apologies).

So lets just get back to discussing the Famitsu interviews and drop the current discussions please...

Top Bottom