• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Translated Sakurai Famitsu Interview

Cutthemac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cutthemac
3DS FC
4554-0216-3307
Source: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

I'm really not sure if this has been posted here yet, so don't yell at me if it has.

We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.
"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.
Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes.
After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Last edited:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Even though Im more or less neutral on whether it should be Lucina Or Chrom (I prefer Robin much much more than either) what I dont get is why he says that chrom would just be another "plain old sword wielder" isn't Lucina the exact same?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Lucina is more popular, is female and is visually less similar than Chrom is to Marth or Ike for those reasons. She's also an obvious choice for a Marth alt because of her role within FE:Awakening (posing as Marth). In any case, it was never a matter of "Chrom or Lucina"; it was "Chrom or Robin" and Robin was the obvious choice. Lucina was always going to be in the game; it's only her status as a costume or a character with slight differences that was changed.

Last edited:

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
Even though Im more or less neutral on whether it should be Lucina Or Chrom (I prefer Robin much much more than either) what I dont get is why he says that chrom would just be another "plain old sword wielder" isn't Lucina the exact same?
Well, Sakurai did say that Lucina got in as a Marth clone because of her close relationship with him. And also what SA-Y said.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Sakurai sounds dumb. He added in Lucina yet says Chrom is just a plain old sword wielder. What is so special about her besides being a dumbed down Marth.

His decision to dumb her down compared to Marth also seems stupid. What happens after you master Lucina? Do you move on to Marth? All in all, I think she should have been a alternate costume without unique traits.

I also don't understand what he meant for Chrom by plain old sword wielder. Each sword fighter from fire emblem that has been in Smash has been different when it comes to aspects of moves. Roy was a clone yet had fire aspects to his moves and was stronger. Ike was a COMPLETELY new character that had speed and fire for his specials.

I applaud him for adding Robin, but adding Lucina as a clone was either fan service to the Fire Emblem fans or laziness to complete a new moveset for her or Chrom.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If anyone doubts that Gematsu was true, here's your proof.

It's outdated and all on Chrom, but there's no way that Sakurai and company see Shulk and the Chorus Men "boring".

Chorus Men may run into programming errors, yes, but ultimately, these aren't "boring" ideas.

Lucina was added to fill the niche of Marth to replace Marth while Marth becomes essentially a newcomer.

The same thing happened with Fox from 64 to Melee, where Falco became 64 Fox.

It may seem shallow, but the feel of the gameplay is most important. Falco in Melee sounded stupid, but IMO, he was easily the best designed smash character ever.

Following that model for a character is not a bad idea. Copy successes, not failures.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My response is something I posted in that other thread:

This doesn't mean "Gematsu lives".

This means Sakurai considered Chrom. He was decided against because he'd just be another weenie swordfighter.
Lucina was planned, as an alternate costume for Marth. However, her attack characteristics were different so she was given a different slot.

The difference between her and Chrom is that Lucina was actually intended on being put in. Chrom wasn't intended to be a playable character. Considered, but not planned. Sure Lucina is pretty much a physical clone of Marth with a very slight functional difference, but she was planned.

If anything, it hurts Gematsu more, I think.

Not that I care. Just pointing it out.

tl;dr: Chrom was never planned to be a fighter. Considered, maybe. But not planned.
Still me said:
Yeah she was. She was first considered to become a Marth alt, but then planned to be her separate character slot because of her differences.

Chrom wasn't planned to fight in any capacity, correct? :4pacman:
Lucina was.

If the Gematsu leaker did in fact have a roster list, it wasn't even who Sakurai decided to be in the game. Just considerations. This means that the leak could have been legit, but incorrect and unreliable. He would have had correct information... but the wrong information.

There does exist the possibility Chrom was the only altered consideration (besides Lucina's promotion to separate character) and that's the reason why Gematsu actually got a lot right. In that case, more power to Gematsuites.

Other than that, I don't think of any way this information would help the leak.
Either way, predictability is boring.
I'm not going to respond to long winded arguments, I just wanted to put out my two cents.

Last edited:

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
Sooo Chrom was considered?

Gematsu leak confirmed. :troll:

Also, I have to wonder why the Gematsu Leaker thinks Shulk is "100%" if his information is so outdated.

Last edited:

JayJay584

Smash Cadet
If anyone doubts that Gematsu was true, here's your proof.

It's outdated and all on Chrom, but there's no way that Sakurai and company see Shulk and the Chorus Men "boring".

Chorus Men may run into programming errors, yes, but ultimately, these aren't "boring" ideas.

Lucina was added to fill the niche of Marth to replace Marth while Marth becomes essentially a newcomer.

The same thing happened with Fox from 64 to Melee, where Falco became 64 Fox.

It may seem shallow, but the feel of the gameplay is most important. Falco in Melee sounded stupid, but IMO, he was easily the best designed smash character ever.

Following that model for a character is not a bad idea. Copy successes, not failures.
How in the world is this proof? That he briefly considered Chrom at all? Of course he would, why wouldn't he?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Sakurai sounds dumb. He added in Lucina yet says Chrom is just a plain old sword wielder. What is so special about her besides being a dumbed down Marth.

His decision to dumb her down compared to Marth also seems stupid. What happens after you master Lucina? Do you move on to Marth? All in all, I think she should have been a alternate costume without unique traits.

I also don't understand what he meant for Chrom by plain old sword wielder. Each sword fighter from fire emblem that has been in Smash has been different when it comes to aspects of moves. Roy was a clone yet had fire aspects to his moves and was stronger. Ike was a COMPLETELY new character that had speed and fire for his specials.

I applaud him for adding Robin, but adding Lucina as a clone was either fan service to the Fire Emblem fans or laziness to complete a new moveset for her or Chrom.
Lucina wasn't chosen over Chrom. She was a costume that was split from Marth and put into a different slot with slight changes. Sakurai isn't saying that Chrom isn't unique but Lucina is; rather, Lucina was literally designed to not be unique in the first place.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
For what I understand Lucina was at start just an alt costume for Marth. But it got so complex over time with the differences in size and personality that Sakurai decided to slap Roy's moves on her and pass it as her own new character.
Meanwhile Chrom had little chances, as he never started as an alt costume at all. Sakurai probably stood while searching for a FE:A rep, looked at another sword guy and the magic sword guy, and went for the more original choice.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Lucina wasn't chosen over Chrom. She was a costume that was split from Marth and put into a different slot with slight changes. Sakurai isn't saying that Chrom isn't unique but Lucina is; rather, Lucina was literally designed to not be unique in the first place.
I thought we we're done with clone characters.

D

Deleted member

deleted account

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How in the world is this proof? That he briefly considered Chrom at all? Of course he would, why wouldn't he?
He considered Chrom all the years ago, and he was working on him, and the smash dev team stopped.

It outright confirms they worked on him, which thus proves the Gematsu leak was right with the newcomers...

...about 2 years ago.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I thought we we're done with clone characters.
We're not - say hello to Toon Link. :p In any case, while clone characters are disheartening for people who wanted those characters to have unique movesets, they're not inherently bad for the game at all. Lucina's inclusion is hype as hell for her fanbase and offers Marth players a slightly different take on his moveset; where's the downside? Her change to being a separate character would have cost them basically no development time at all.

I guess I don't understand his reasoning behind making Lucina's strength, speed, and special attacks the same as Marth's.
I assume it's just because she started as a costume, possibly with some canonical reasoning thrown in (Lucina copying Marth in FE:A). There may be slight differences we don't know about, in any case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1
If the story the informant for Gematsu is giving holds merit, then Chrom wasn't a case of being outdated information.
It was a case of mistaken identity.

The informant claims that like how they saw "Pokémon from X/Y" they saw "Protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening" and assumed it was referring to Chrom. They didn't think about Awakening's other protagonist, Robin.

It's a believable story, but it sounds quite a bit like backpeddling given the timing. Assuming the story is legit, the informant should have relayed the information exactly how they saw it. Not make assumptions that have a shot of being the wrong one.

EDIT: As for Lucina, she was just going to be an alt of Marth. Then for some reason, Sakurai gave her slightly different properties and made her a separate character later in development because of those different properties. There was no conscious choice to give Marth a new style and add Lucina as the "new Marth".

JayJay584

Smash Cadet
He considered Chrom all the years ago, and he was working on him, and the smash dev team stopped.

It outright confirms they worked on him, which thus proves the Gematsu leak was right with the newcomers...

...about 2 years ago.
Nowhere does it say they used development resources to work on Chrom, just that he briefly thought about, but decided no.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

...about 2 years ago.
The only thing that tells me he worked on Chrom is the fact he exists in the form of Robin's final Smash.
The translated text doesn't mention anything about him working on Chrom otherwise.

Edit: Yeah, no. I read it again just to verify (because you're actually one of the stronger debaters I've read on these forums) and I don't see that.

Last edited:

When you look at down to the wire.

Chrom vs Lucina.

Chrom is a male swordsman with blue hair, we have two of those. Lucina is a female swordsman with blue hair, we have none of these.

Lucina fills in the gap of the female sword character that was requested, but wasn't included (Lyn).

Chrom was not as popular as Lucina was, that is more incentive for inclusion.

It would be easier to make her a Marth clone who plays differently because A. That's who she pretended to be in the game. B. People like Marth but people find him to be difficult to play with. This character is an excellent transitional character.

Chrom in awakening appears to be similar to Marth, so it was an easy choice to add the popular character and allocate more sources towards Robin.

I'm sure Chrom could have been a cool character, but this would have been as redundant as having 3 Land Masters.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
We're not - say hello to Toon Link. :p In any case, while clone characters are disheartening for people who wanted those characters to have unique movesets, they're not inherently bad for the game at all. Lucina's inclusion is hype as hell for her fanbase and offers Marth players a slightly different take on his moveset; where's the downside? Her change to being a separate character would have cost them basically no development time at all.

I assume it's just because she started as a costume, possibly with some canonical reasoning thrown in (Lucina copying Marth in FE:A). There may be slight differences we don't know about, in any case.
True, but even so Toon Link has even more different variations to Link then Lucina. His height, his boomerang, his Bow, his down air, even his speed. However, Sakurai says that he made almost everything about her and Marth identical, so I don't see anything as different as Toon Link and Link for her and Marth other then the same percentage of damage no matter where she strikes her opponent.

Edit: Also, if it took them no development time at all then why not add Roy back in? Slap on a new model for Marth, change percentages, rip some in game fire aspects from other character, add frames to his attacks, and Whallah. Roys our boy again

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Pheonix has got it.
inb4 krystal with landmaster

True, but even so Toon Link has even more different variations to Link then Lucina. His height, his boomerang, his Bow, his down air, even his speed. However, Sakurai says that he made almost everything about her and Marth identical, so I don't see anything as different as Toon Link and Link for her and Marth other then the same percentage of damage no matter where she strikes her opponent.
Link and Toon Link definitely have more differences, but Toon Link was always developed as a separate character. Lucina was initially developed as a costume which is as direct a clone as you could possibly intend to make. All I meant to say was that we aren't done with clones and that clones aren't inherently bad at all. :)

All this really comes down to is Sakurai's decision to split Lucina's model from Marth's slot, give her a few slight differences and then give her an individual slot, which is entirely justified in and of itself. This isn't a matter of cutting other characters for Lucina's sake or being lazy, which is where the legitimate criticisms for clones actually begin. :)

Last edited:
Interesting insight. It sounds like Lucina began as a costume swap that Sakurai thought was better promoted to become her own character. I wonder if it'll come to light that another character had that treatment.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
When you look at down to the wire.

Chrom vs Lucina.

Chrom is a male swordsman with blue hair, we have two of those. Lucina is a female swordsman with blue hair, we have none of these.

Lucina fills in the gap of the female sword character that was requested, but wasn't included (Lyn).

Chrom was not as popular as Lucina was, that is more incentive for inclusion.

It would be easier to make her a Marth clone who plays differently because A. That's who she pretended to be in the game. B. People like Marth but people find him to be difficult to play with. This character is an excellent transitional character.

Chrom in awakening appears to be similar to Marth, so it was an easy choice to add the popular character and allocate more sources towards Robin.

I'm sure Chrom could have been a cool character, but this would have been as redundant as having 3 Land Masters.
Lmao 3 Land masters. I don't follow the fire emblem series, so I wouldn't know about her or her fanbase. You make a good point about a female swordsmen as well. But I still don't see the point of being a transitional character. Wouldn't that make her useless after you switch to Marth? Only diehard Fire Emblem fans would stick to her even though probably being lower on the tier list.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Wouldn't that make her useless after you switch to Marth? Only diehard Fire Emblem fans would stick to her even though probably being lower on the tier list.
As Sakurai said, she'll probably be easier for newcomers to adapt to - but that doesn't mean that playing her will be redundant once you've mastered playing Marth. Consistency in a kit is a very good thing and even the best of Marth players can't hope to get a tipper on every hit. The trade-offs should become clearer once we see them in action some more. :)

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Lucina doesn't have much of a difference in speed? :( oh well. Out of her and Marth, it looks like I'll main whoever has the best combo ability, then.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
To be fair, Sakurai did basically call Lucina Newbie-Marth.
Which is perfectly fine.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Newbie-Marth actually suits me just fine. I suck at Marth and can't be bothered learning advanced tech anyways. :awesome:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
For those arguing about the Gematsu Leak:

Gematsu said nothing about :4robinm:/:4robinf:. If he was legit he would have mentioned :4robinm:/:4robinf: but he focused only on Chrom.

Never mind that Gematsu said nothing about :rosalina:.

A Leaker never would have let any characters past them. The Leak has been officially considered dead. (Well long dead if you count the non prediction of Rosalina).

For those of you worried about Shulk and Chorus Kids/Men and argue in favor of Gematsu for their sake, they are not affected.

Chorus Kids/Men are helped by the Sneaky Spirits enemy found in Smash Run.

Shulk is helped by his international popularity and cannot be ignored.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Lmao 3 Land masters. I don't follow the fire emblem series, so I wouldn't know about her or her fanbase. You make a good point about a female swordsmen as well. But I still don't see the point of being a transitional character. Wouldn't that make her useless after you switch to Marth? Only diehard Fire Emblem fans would stick to her even though probably being lower on the tier list.
Umm.....people who prefer Marth's moveset, but dislike the "Tip of the Blade" mechanic from Marth would prefer Lucina.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
To be fair, Sakurai did basically call Lucina Newbie-Marth.
Which is perfectly fine.
I would've wanted to have her a alternative costume if that's the case.

...and have Roy to fill her in

Umm.....people who prefer Marth's moveset, but dislike the "Tip of the Blade" mechanic from Marth would prefer Lucina.
Won't the tip of the blade place him above her then?

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the point of eliminating Chrom as he is "not unique" and cloning Marth... I respect you, Sakurai, but can't see why... I only hope characters like Ridley or K. Rool weren't cut to put Lucina in there. It would have been criminal...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Never underestimate a character based on their target user. There's always that one guy who figures out how to go crazy with them. :p
Oh, no, don't get me wrong. I am not underestimating her.
In fact, although I can use Marth just fine, I plan on using her more cause I think she's cooler and I could do more without having to worry about showing off my "epic spacing sweetspot skills" :p

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This isn't about Tiers. This is about players who like Marth's moveset, but hate the "Tip of the Blade" Mechanic th
I guess it is a matter of preference, but as for now it seems like Marth is better for those who master the mechanic. Perhaps even for Lucina players they can get up close and personal because of this ability.

Wait a moment! This means Lucina will not have a Meteor Smash :c XD
Maybe it could lead to combo opportunities though.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I guess it is a matter of preference, but as for now it seems like Marth is better for those who master the mechanic. Perhaps even for Lucina players they can get up close and personal because of this ability.
Not necessarily. Lucina players would have to attack at a certain distant to hit the sweet spot of Marth's mechanic. Marth's "Tip of the Blade" mechanic requires players to hit at a certain distant to ensure that the desired mechanic pulls off.

Lucina players won't move over to Marth unless they want to give Marth's mechanics a try or think it is not as bad as they thought.

Marth players won't move over to Lucina unless they want to try the same moveset without the "Tip of the Blade" Mechanic or prefer an up and personal Smash character.

Top Bottom