• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

It's a scary time when truth and facts are considered "offensive"and "hostile"
The attempt to highlight the experiences of trans and non-binary smashers in the community, and getting people to understand their problems is "Disgusting?" By your logic, all people who are not explicitly normal are "Disgusting."

You're not just presenting facts. If you think that's what you're doing, you're not the solution - you're the problem.

You presented your facts in a hostile way. If you cannot understand that, you probably shouldn't be interacting with other people.

Last edited:
Honestly, as a transgender girl wanting to play smash I'm reeeally scared about what to do because I identify as female on here and stuff and don't tell people I'm trans but at the same time I look like an androgynous male and all I ever see online at people like NarcissaWright is constant hate. I want smash to be a place that's welcoming to women and trans people but idk what to do because I'm too shy to do anything myself :S

Now that I'm starting to make a name for myself in my local scene where I pretend I'm male, it just makes it even harder for me to make the change in presentation during tournaments.

D
Honestly, as a transgender girl wanting to play smash I'm reeeally scared about what to do because I identify as female on here and stuff and don't tell people I'm trans but at the same time I look like an androgynous male and all I ever see online at people like NarcissaWright is constant hate. I want smash to be a place that's welcoming to women and trans people but idk what to do because I'm too shy to do anything myself :S

Now that I'm starting to make a name for myself in my local scene where I pretend I'm male, it just makes it even harder for me to make the change in presentation during tournaments.
Choosing a lifestyle like this warrants and presents hardships to you, harder than any other person will face. You have to be strong, confident, and tough as a person, or else you'll be drown by social constructs, leaving you beaten up and weak. Don't let that happen, be stronger than who you project yourself to be, don't get discouraged.

Choosing a lifestyle like this warrants and presents hardships to you, harder than any other person will face. You have to be strong, confident, and tough as a person, or else you'll be drown by social constructs, leaving you beaten up and weak. Don't let that happen, be stronger than who you project yourself to be, don't get discouraged.
We don't choose this. We are born like this. Our brains are biologically that of our gender.

The amount of transphobia, hatred, and general ignorance that I'm seeing in these comments is seriously disgusting. Not to mention the lack of empathy, or willingness to listen. And some of you assholes wonder why we need a safe space. You privileged ****s.

But ya, sorry, we don't choose this. I hated myself for years. I'm not getting into it in detail, but no, you're wrong on that.

Last edited:
People are people. Smashers are smashers. I won't judge you on your life choices and decisions that don't harm others; it's not my place.

But I feel like this is silly. Especially for the front page. It's so incredibly niche as an article. I appreciate your writing and how dedicated you are to the community, (and lord knows that you are) but articles like this just don't warrant front page attention in my eyes.

Separating females from the males in smash does exactly that; it separates them. Which only creates more of a stigma and more irritated comments. I understand that the discrimination can be real, but segregating yourselves only gives the few that go out of their way to give the ladies a hard time more ammo.

This isn't the way.

what the hell is this tripe? no. social justice issues dont need to be brought to SMASH BROS of all things, jesus christ. Like you said, it doesn't MATTER who you are, it matters who and what you play.

Get out with this garbage for real, please. We dont need your narratives pushed where they dont belong.

Boo hoo some dude said some rude stuff, go cry about it. Because trying to indoctrinate an entire culture of gamers into your political worldview is definitely going to "fix" those with "malicious" intent, right?

No. forcing your ideology on people who disagree with you isnt going to make them agree with you. Individuals are mean, not cultures.

Last edited:
what the hell is this tripe? no. social justice issues dont need to be brought to SMASH BROS of all things, jesus christ. Like you said, it doesn't MATTER who you are, it matters who and what you play.

Get out with this garbage for real, please. We dont need your narratives pushed where they dont belong.

Boo hoo some dude said some rude stuff, go cry about it. Because trying to indoctrinate an entire culture of gamers into your political worldview is definitely going to "fix" those with "malicious" intent, right?

No. forcing your ideology on people who disagree with you isnt going to make them agree with you. Individuals are mean, not cultures.
the vast majority of the gamer culture is ignorant, and do need to be taught to be respectful to those of alternative gender identity and expression. It DOES need to be fixed. people like you are the problem. there is a legitimate problem and your only response is "cry moar"

way to be a ****, bro.

the vast majority of the gamer culture is ignorant, and do need to be taught to be respectful to those of alternative gender identity and expression. It DOES need to be fixed. people like you are the problem. there is a legitimate problem and your only response is "cry moar"

way to be a ****, bro.
boo ****ing hoo the moral police have arrived and theyve called the waaaahmbulances

I can say from experience that almost the entirety of any gamers I know have no malicious feelings towards anyone of the opposite sex or for those of different gender identities. I don't myself but I'm sick of seeing people force their ****ty political ideologies where it doesnt belong. I can say with full confidence that this ******** moral crusade against gamers is completely meritless.

I've had **** flung at me for MY ENTIRE LIFE for a MULTITUDE of different reasons that I CANNOT CONTROL but instead of BLAMING IT ON SOCIETY AND CULTURES and CRYING IN A HUGBOX about it, I instead grew some ****ing skin and learned to deal with it. Sure it's not pleasant, sure I'd like people not to say things they say, sure I ask them to stop if i feel it's warranted, but I don't make a federal ****ing issue about it and try to incite some sort of revolutionary change.

If women are so equal to men (which believe me I'm sure they are) then maybe they could do the same? Nobody's gonna ****ing kill em and i doubt anything anyone has said has been more than harmless. YOUR own offense is YOUR own fault (SORRY FOR V I C T I M B L A M I N G), especially in a community that's already as friendly and inviting (which I know from EXPERIENCE after being a part of it for YEARS). and if you cant deal with a little banter then maybe competitive fighting games arent for you.

boo ****ing hoo the moral police have arrived and theyve called the waaaahmbulances

I can say from experience that almost the entirety of any gamers I know have no malicious feelings towards anyone of the opposite sex or for those of different gender identities. I don't myself but I'm sick of seeing people force their ****ty political ideologies where it doesnt belong. I can say with full confidence that this ******** moral crusade against gamers is completely meritless.

I've had **** flung at me for MY ENTIRE LIFE for a MULTITUDE of different reasons that I CANNOT CONTROL but instead of BLAMING IT ON SOCIETY AND CULTURES and CRYING IN A HUGBOX about it, I instead grew some ****ing skin and learned to deal with it. Sure it's not pleasant, sure I'd like people not to say things they say, sure I ask them to stop if i feel it's warranted, but I don't make a federal ****ing issue about it and try to incite some sort of revolutionary change.

If women are so equal to men (which believe me I'm sure they are) then maybe they could do the same? Nobody's gonna ****ing kill em and i doubt anything anyone has said has been more than harmless. YOUR own offense is YOUR own fault (SORRY FOR V I C T I M B L A M I N G), especially in a community that's already as friendly and inviting (which I know from EXPERIENCE after being a part of it for YEARS). and if you cant deal with a little banter then maybe competitive fighting games arent for you.
They targeted gamers. Gamers!

there is a difference between banter and **** talk, and attacking someone personally. Again, you are literally the problem. I am against the idea of hugboxes and internet safe places, etc. If you cannot tell the difference, you're the problem.

RAWR, I'm the evil transgirl who has started a "moral crusade against gamers" by wanting basic respect in an aggressive community!! Run in fear!!

edit:
Ikes Smash Journeyman, Male, 16

OH

Last edited:
RAWR, I'm the evil transgirl who has started a "moral crusade against gamers" by wanting basic respect in an aggressive community!! Run in fear!!
The fact that you get mad at the rest of us for 'being ignorant' about transgenders and then you call us as a whole 'aggressive' is incredibly ignorant in that of itself. And frankly, it's very annoying and irritating.

People who hate on transgenders is a minority. It really is.

The fact that you get mad at the rest of us for 'being ignorant' about transgenders and then you call us as a whole 'aggressive' is incredibly ignorant in that of itself. And frankly, it's very annoying and irritating.

People who hate on transgenders is a minority. It really is.
i'm aware, i just mean internet gamer culture in general is one of the worst towards trans people. smash is better than most but this really is a pretty hostile environment because you dont know who you can trust. Also I never called anyone ignorant, I was just mocking that guy who is clearly a chump.

Last edited:
i'm aware, i just mean internet gamer culture in general is one of the worst towards trans people. smash is better than most but this really is a pretty hostile environment because you dont know who you can trust. Also I never called anyone ignorant, I was just mocking that guy who is clearly a chump.
Internet gamer culture is the worst towards any group. Internet gamer culture is just trash. It is an opinion archetype that you or me or anyone else cannot take seriously, because these people will crap on anything because they can.

Internet gamer culture is the worst towards any group. Internet gamer culture is just trash. It is an opinion archetype that you or me or anyone else cannot take seriously, because these people will crap on anything because they can.
yeah, thats why i'm mocking that person for acting like "oh you just need to have thick skin" when hes a kid who likely has never had to face the wrath of the toxic anonymity of internet gaming culture due to your gender and then has the gall to suggest that we're starting a "crusade against gamers" by wanting to erase that to as much of an extent as we can and acting as though he's the victim is seriously disgusting and so no way was i not going to mock him for his entitled lil tantrum.

Last edited:
True story: a select few members of the gaming world decided that they didn't like me a few years before I got into Smash. They made a neo-nazi facebook account made to look just like me so I couldn't manage to get a job when employers searched.

If people try to say I don't have a thick skin after having my entire job prospects screws for almost half a year then I dunno what thick skin is. Yet I STILL see that these folks have pretty thick skin to deal with some of these things at all.

I don't get why twitch chat is even being mentioned. 99% of the squat there is post-ironic circlejerking, and I thought everyone knew that.

Unrelated, but I actually find a lot of twitch memes incredibly funny, even the obviously ironic/stupid ones. "I'm riding the Twitch chat elevator PogChamp" gets me every time.
As much as I know already that the chat is going to be cancerous, it does upset me to see that 90% of comments during my matches are now regarding my gender identity. Much of that is verbal abuse, and there may be some compliments , but the overwhelming amount of attention towards that is bothersome in general .

Last edited:
No one puts unknown midteir players in limelight for dealing with having rude comments thrown at them. You know fatality? When he first got on stream and no one knew him he made fun of often. About his looks and everything. But he shut them up with his skill now everyone loves to see him come on stream why can't these players do the same? Why are they getting a easy pass to getting known when players before them had to go the hard route and those that aren't trans or female still have to take the rough path. Separating IMHO isn't what's needed. SJW is spreading in the wrong places and smash is the last gaming community that needs it.

I didn't like how @Nezz64's was shunned when she made a valid arguement

Last edited:

edit:
Ikes Smash Journeyman, Male, 16

OH
really good, high quality argument my friend, you sure showed me!

you want people to appreciate you in the community?

git
gud

Last edited:
really good, high quality argument my friend, you sure showed me!

you want people to appreciate you in the community?

git
gud
i am. your argument is just painful and youve shown you have no context for anything. But seriously as i said earlier: i'm mocking that person for acting like "oh you just need to have thick skin" when hes a kid who likely has never had to face the wrath of the toxic anonymity of internet gaming culture due to your gender and then has the gall to suggest that we're starting a "crusade against gamers" by wanting to erase that to as much of an extent as we can and acting as though he's the victim is seriously disgusting and so no way was i not going to mock him for his entitled lil tantrum.

Last edited:
I don't care if you're gay, straight, trans, man, woman, child...

To me, you're just another obstacle to victory >:D

Another piece of fodder for the Buster Sword, Monado, or Bullet Arts to destroy!

i am. your argument is just painful and youve shown you have no context for anything. But seriously as i said earlier: i'm mocking that person for acting like "oh you just need to have thick skin" when hes a kid who likely has never had to face the wrath of the toxic anonymity of internet gaming culture due to your gender and then has the gall to suggest that we're starting a "crusade against gamers" by wanting to erase that to as much of an extent as we can and acting as though he's the victim is seriously disgusting and so no way was i not going to mock him for his entitled lil tantrum.
There's no point in arguing with them. Once they flash the "EVIL ESSJAYDOUBLEYOOS" card, it's over. This is especially true when they flash the "GIT GUD" card. As if you had to be good to get basic respect.

Just let them believe that "Gamers" are a marginalized group of people. Hopefully they'll grow out of it.

Wait up so LiteralGrill LiteralGrill are you TG now? As in for real, not like a show of support thing.

Because if you are, your profiles on various websites still describe you as Eric Capps, using 'he' etc.

Last edited:

And in order to not get warned/infracted for single image posts, I will semi-contribute to the discussion by saying that everyone deserves to feel comfortable at an event regardless of who they are. That should be a given. It is a given that **** talking does occur but strives should be made by TO's to represent a welcoming atmosphere for anyone. If there is inappropriate behavior or suggestions, it should be dealt with. What one person considers a harmless joke but cause the other to not wish to be apart of the community. Simply stating "Maybe they don't belong to the community" is just wrong because denying people from joining it, in the beginning, is the base of the problem.

It's nothing about being a liberal, nothing about being progressive, nothing about hidden Reptilian agendas....it's about being a ****ing human being and having a soul.

Last edited:
Xaltis here, It seems some people aren't understanding what this article is about, or at least Nezz didn't from what I see. This needed to be talked about as also every time I'm on stream, my gender is the first thing the stream chat talks about.

Also Smash Sisters is not separating the girls from the boys, it's supposed to be an event to welcome new females into the community without being afraid, and they'll slowly work their way into the main competitive scene after playing in the Smash Sisters event.

We're doing good things for the woman and trans woman of the Smash 4 community, and if there are any trans men out there. You are welcome to be yourself as well. I just want everyone to play Smash and get along with each other. ♥

D
I'm sorry but I find this article to be completely stupid. 1) why is there even a separate division for women? If the tournament results are based on how skillful the player is, why on god green earth is there has to be a separate division for female smashers? It literally makes no sense at all. 2) you pretty much "offended" pre-transgendered smashers all because they thought that the Smash Sisters was exclusively to women, but then again why the hell should there be a female division in the fist place? The more I read on this, the more I laugh at the stupidity of this article. You claim that everyone is welcome to the smash community, but then pull up **** like this. Make men and women participate in the same division and should be based off of their skill level. We shouldn't have a separate division for female smashers because in the end we're all smash players. Also "Safe Space"? Really? What are we 6? Sorry if this "offends" anyone but I need to say it.

Because bringing gender politics into a community revolved around a game is apparently the next step towards being a better community. Never mind that one of the community's core principles is to be all inclusive, and focus on the skills of the individuals rather than the individuals themselves.

I don't mind praise top players get it all the time, but when it comes to pandering to what is perceived as minority opinion then it's just insanity. I get it, okay. There needs to be a nurturing and welcoming environment that can be present in order for more and more newcomers to join in, but where does this all end? Under what merit, or what hardship does this sort of article decide to be published?

I respect all people, be it trans, gay, pansexual, genderfluid, furry, whatever it is you are. My part in this community isn't to be in the know about what your stance is on gender politics and whether or not I should be worried about triggers. My part in this community is to play the game, practice to become better, and enjoy both the game and the company of the people. Your skill means more to me in tournament than your political stance, gender identity, and so on. If I know you, I will acknowledge you and ask how you have been lately, and then ask for some friendlies after the match, but what I wouldn't do is sit there and ask you about your political views. Bringing politics into this community is the last thing I would have expected from Smashboards.

In all honesty, this article is not bad. It is in good heart and I think it is a nice acknowledgement of the Trans people who are a part of the Smash community. My problem is neither with the article, nor the people, but the principle. Leave politics out of gaming, please and thank you.

Xaltis here, It seems some people aren't understanding what this article is about, or at least Nezz didn't from what I see. This needed to be talked about as also every time I'm on stream, my gender is the first thing the stream chat talks about.

Also Smash Sisters is not separating the girls from the boys, it's supposed to be an event to welcome new females into the community without being afraid, and they'll slowly work their way into the main competitive scene after playing in the Smash Sisters event.

We're doing good things for the woman and trans woman of the Smash 4 community, and if there are any trans men out there. You are welcome to be yourself as well. I just want everyone to play Smash and get along with each other. ♥
I think I actually met a transguy at genesis 3 but it would've been rude to ask, especially because I was presenting as cis.

I didn't know asking people to be more welcoming and inclusive to other groups of people was "pushing an agenda".

But I suppose I learned something new today.
There's a difference between "welcoming and inclusive" and pandering. "Welcoming and inclusive" would be nobody mentioning, or even noticing. Pandering is writing articles about what special snowflakes these people are.

There's a difference between "welcoming and inclusive" and pandering. "Welcoming and inclusive" would be nobody mentioning, or even noticing. Pandering is writing articles about what special snowflakes these people are.
You CLEARLY did not understand the article. You bashing on this article isn't helping anything at all. So you should stop being a hypocrite.

Top Bottom