• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

What ever happened to Nyani? She played an awesome Mario but it seems like she just disappeared. Is there something I'm missing?

Good article, by the way.

Nyani still does streaming stuff and she still seems to be participating in events that allow Miis to be legal.

Also, are there any open trans males in the community? I can't think of any, but I think that if there were, they would be worthy of mention as well.

Last edited:
Here in Newfoundland we have upwards of 4 Trans women who regularly participate in events.I being one of them, I am truly thankful to be a part of my community. I'm also still only a teenager who is just recently came out,so doing anything to express myself scares me. Smash is the only place where I feel encouraged to be myself.

its truly wonderful that we have a community as accepting as it is although not perfect definitely a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Nyani still does streaming stuff and she still seems to be participating in events that allow Miis to be legal.

Also, are there any open trans males in the community? I can't think of any, but I think that if there were, they would be worthy of mention as well.
I tried to find some people for this article and had little luck. If anyone like this would like to talk to me, I would happily write another article :)

wow, I appreciate this article as a transwoman myself. Makes me feel more comfortable ; v;

Great going Xaltis! You've already shown that people of all genders can make an impact in the Smash community when you beat Regi at Genesis, keep it up!

Last edited:
Why does anyone care? Like be who you are if you play smash sick, no one should care about the face of the community but simply the composure and personalities. Congrats you play smash! Your gender doesn't matter here..

I'm sorry but I find this article to be completely stupid. 1) why is there even a separate division for women? If the tournament results are based on how skillful the player is, why on god green earth is there has to be a separate division for female smashers? It literally makes no sense at all. 2) you pretty much "offended" pre-transgendered smashers all because they thought that the Smash Sisters was exclusively to women, but then again why the hell should there be a female division in the fist place? The more I read on this, the more I laugh at the stupidity of this article. You claim that everyone is welcome to the smash community, but then pull up **** like this. Make men and women participate in the same division and should be based off of their skill level. We shouldn't have a separate division for female smashers because in the end we're all smash players. Also "Safe Space"? Really? What are we 6? Sorry if this "offends" anyone but I need to say it.

This is a bad idea. If you wanna play Smash, you should play Smash with anyone, not a segregated group of people based on a specific demographic. It limits your own possibilities and potential when you constrict your opponents down to only specific types of people. Smash shouldn't even have a "safe place", because there are tons of ragers, disrespectful players, and even outright rude people in the Smash community. They are all welcome, though, because as a community, we should work together, not apart.

I think this community has really gone far in recent years with respect to cross cutting various societal barriers. I hope we continue to do so too! Great article!

This is a bad idea. If you wanna play Smash, you should play Smash with anyone, not a segregated group of people based on a specific demographic. It limits your own possibilities and potential when you constrict your opponents down to only specific types of people. Smash shouldn't even have a "safe place", because there are tons of ragers, disrespectful players, and even outright rude people in the Smash community. They are all welcome, though, because as a community, we should work together, not apart.
While i don't agree with the idea that we need to see separate divisions for these people (I kind of admittedly just saw the title and felt kind of relieved, I didn't read it) having a "safe space" does not suddenly mean you avoid all contact with disrespectful players. Or "mean" people in general. That's a completely unfair assertion and I'm tempted to say strawman, but i'm trying to refrain from turning this into an all out debate.

Makes me wonder if there's ever gonna be an article about mentally disordered Smashers...
I would love to see an article about Smashers dealing with anxiety and depression. I think there are more people dealing with those (including myself) than not.

Last edited:
How about "no" because there is no literal reason to have a separate tournament for women in smash.
I think this is the reason. Name one single female Smasher at tournaments. People wouldn't be able to tell you, it's just men, ZeRo, ESAM, GimR, etc. As a woman, I understand what you mean, but like this, we have a place where we don't just see men all the damn time

I've said before in a certain Password Protected room*wink* wink* but i'll say it again. Boy or Girl,if you ever come by my school for smash,you're welcome here. I'll even fend off some jerks who try to stop a good time.

the trans thing doesn't really matter to me. in fact,I didn't even know about Xaltis's status till after this article. just enjoy the game,no matter what gender you are.
good read.

still don't like fighting Rosa's though :p

:212:

I think this is the reason. Name one single female Smasher at tournaments. People wouldn't be able to tell you, it's just men, ZeRo, ESAM, GimR, etc. As a woman, I understand what you mean, but like this, we have a place where we don't just see men all the damn time
Seriously, don't be that person. Just because the more mainstream smashers are male doesn't mean ****. They are mainstream because they are the best players and incredibly skillful. If there's a female smasher that haves the same amount of skill as Hungrybox or ZeRo then I would accept that because she's a good smash player, NOT because she's a woman. Again DONT. BE. THAT. PERSON!

I'm sorry but I find this article to be completely stupid. 1) why is there even a separate division for women? If the tournament results are based on how skillful the player is, why on god green earth is there has to be a separate division for female smashers? It literally makes no sense at all. 2) you pretty much "offended" pre-transgendered smashers all because they thought that the Smash Sisters was exclusively to women, but then again why the hell should there be a female division in the fist place? The more I read on this, the more I laugh at the stupidity of this article. You claim that everyone is welcome to the smash community, but then pull up **** like this. Make men and women participate in the same division and should be based off of their skill level. We shouldn't have a separate division for female smashers because in the end we're all smash players. Also "Safe Space"? Really? What are we 6? Sorry if this "offends" anyone but I need to say it.
Get oooouuttt

I can't say I agree with it either, sadly. It isn't like theres a physical limit separating men and woman here, so its hard to believe that on a tournament level we'd have separate stuff... It's just social and number barriers.

I mean having small tournaments and stuff makes sense, along with places just for men and woman (or whatever else you want to be), but at that point it just seems... "ehh"

I'll look at the article smashcapps posted, maybe I'll find something to convince me.

I'm still happy there's so many here though ; v;

Being trans and trying to be as active as I can in my local scene, this really makes me sorta cry when I think about how good we can be to each other and how the dynamics are shifting in how people in tournaments, TOs and specs alike, treat everyone else.

Really hope we dont brush anything under the carpet either. I get that we want the scene to be as open and attractive as possible, but if we dont bring harrassment to light it might just have the opposite effect.

Xaltis has come a very long way. People shouldnt be made fun of because they are different. The community is supposed to feel like one huge family.

I can't say I agree with it either, sadly. It isn't like theres a physical limit separating men and woman here, so its hard to believe that on a tournament level we'd have separate stuff... It's just social and number barriers.

I mean having small tournaments and stuff makes sense, along with places just for men and woman (or whatever else you want to be), but at that point it just seems... "ehh"

I'll look at the article smashcapps posted, maybe I'll find something to convince me.

I'm still happy there's so many here though ; v;
Really its to highlight female players and create a positive, safe atmosphere, since its a male dominated scene and there's been an unfortunate history with the treatment of female smashers.

Seriously, don't be that person. Just because the more mainstream smashers are male doesn't mean ****. They are mainstream because they are the best players and incredibly skillful. If there's a female smasher that haves the same amount of skill as Hungrybox or ZeRo then I would accept that because she's a good smash player, NOT because she's a woman. Again DONT. BE. THAT. PERSON!
I've heard female smashers are pretty much not taken seriously by anyone at tournaments 'Oh, who's your boyfriend?' is the most wellknown person. I'm not saying it's all for the sake of acknowledging women, but only seeing guys here discourages other women

How I think it should work. Seperation at first, then after female smashers aren't seen as spectators for their boyfriends, about a year max, no more seperation

How I think it should work. Seperation at first, then after female smashers aren't seen as spectators for their boyfriends, about a year max, no more seperation
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Maybe if you stop being so offended over the stupid "he's your boyfriend" question and actually play the game there wouldn't be this issue. And I'm going to say this again, There no REAL reason to have a Female division. You like Smash? good. Are you good at it? Good. That's all! There's shouldn't be any gender issues in the first place. But unfortunately people like you are the one who has to make it a goddamn issue. Stop!

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Maybe if you stop being so offended over the stupid "he's your boyfriend" question and actually play the game there wouldn't be this issue. And I'm going to say this again, There no REAL reason to have a Female division. You like Smash? good. Are you good at it? Good. That's all! There's shouldn't be any gender issues in the first place. But unfortunately people like you are the one who has to make it a goddamn issue. Stop!
>Implying I'm speaking about myself
Listen, I only talked about what the most common complaint was from my knowledge. How am I part of an issue for listing something?
I'm starting to get really pissed off by this...
I recommend not double posting, and just doing something to get rid of the stress, like I dunno, vidya gaemz

Lol you are the only one "being that person."

I would try to explain why this is important but you have made it clear that you have no interest in understanding why women oftentimes don't feel comfortable at tournaments.

I dunno why anyone would be so resistant to learning something new, something we can all work to improve.

And to all the people talking about "seperation" that will not happen. Women can still enter any event. The Smash Sisters events are there to make a place where women who don't feel comfortable participating in the large events (for whatever reason) can still enjoy competitive smash.

Personally I enjoyed this article and I'm glad to see that there are leaders in the community who are trying to address one of the most complex issues we have in a creative and positive way.

Good ****.

I'm starting to get really pissed off by this...
Wow you are? That's cute, now imagine how women who are constantly harrassed and belittled at tournaments feel.

Get over yourself and stop acting like a child.

But seriously it sounds like you need a "safe space" you know... The concept you were just making fun of

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
Wow you are? That's cute, now imagine how women who are constantly harrassed and belittled at tournaments feel.

Get over yourself and stop acting like a child.

But seriously it sounds like you need a "safe space" you know... The concept you were just making fun of
oh my god! Lmao are you ****ing kidding me you stupid Feminist ****! There is no harassment in this community towards women. I'm a woman myself and guess what? I don't get harassed because I'm not an over sensitive prick! It's You who are the one making a big deal out of nothing.

Top Bottom