• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Tracking the Ninja - Greninja Video Thread

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Not sure if you wanted critique, but I think you're a little overzealous in throwing out moves. Falcon was starting to read what you were doing and punish you hard for it, if you notice in game 2 of the first set you dair and land on a duck when you would've fallen into his f-smash. He read that dair. Also, almost every time you're offstage you jump up and throw an aerial at him. In that matchup that's especially dangerous, if he times an up tilt correctly you do not want to trade with that. Just relax, read your opponent more and only put yourself into lag when it's safe to (lots of f smashes on shield). Don't be afraid to camp with shuriken more too, put the onus on Captain Falcon to approach! Other than that remember to use your movement to bait out moves, then drop in with an aerial and start your combo.

Man I see all you guys in Grands and stuff at tournaments, if only my region wasn't so brutally difficult ;-;

Honestly this post is 50% for me too, I need to remember to do this stuff.

Edit: Kite I think you have a very strong Ninja in the making. Honestly my only advice to you would be matchup stuff and then just spend more time with the character.

Last edited:

TheOnlyGBeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
G-Beast
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Not sure if you wanted critique, but I think you're a little overzealous in throwing out moves. Falcon was starting to read what you were doing and punish you hard for it, if you notice in game 2 of the first set you dair and land on a duck when you would've fallen into his f-smash. He read that dair. Also, almost every time you're offstage you jump up and throw an aerial at him. In that matchup that's especially dangerous, if he times an up tilt correctly you do not want to trade with that. Just relax, read your opponent more and only put yourself into lag when it's safe to (lots of f smashes on shield). Don't be afraid to camp with shuriken more too, put the onus on Captain Falcon to approach! Other than that remember to use your movement to bait out moves, then drop in with an aerial and start your combo.

Man I see all you guys in Grands and stuff at tournaments, if only my region wasn't so brutally difficult ;-;

Honestly this post is 50% for me too, I need to remember to do this stuff.

Edit: Kite I think you have a very strong Ninja in the making. Honestly my only advice to you would be matchup stuff and then just spend more time with the character.
these are actually a few weeks old at this point, I forgot to mention, and I think I had taken much of this advice since xP I'm a bit personally against linking a stream and saying start watching at x time, but I think I should since I believe I have gotten better since the sets I linked: http://www.twitch.tv/midgardgaming/v/22586762 at 2:27:05

EDIT: I am interested in critiques/feedback/advice

Last edited:

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
I barely play against Diddy, I know I have to keep playing that matchup.

Thanks but I really need to get better, I certainly believe I can get way better.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788

Thanks Lawliet for creating the SS hitstun cancel list. I remembered it mid match.
Oh wow I didn't know you could get out of Mewtwo's fthrow with Shadow Sneak... pretty cool. (Or partly cool because I sub Mewtwo too but whatever lol.)

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Haven't played much Smash since the shieldstun patch and just today has been one of my more recent tournament visits, I've only come back to my scene in a short time ago and I'm feeling quit a bit rusty or no stronger than I was before. Just here, I was pitted against a ROB who is #8 on my region's PR and I was so close to beating him and took him to game 3, but ended up losing. So I come here seeking critique on what I need to work on so I can do better next time. I copied the URL at the appropriate time so you don't have to fast forward to it yourself.

http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/26015289?t=38m33s

Things I'm (somewhat) aware of:

1. My edgeguarding was pretty linear here and I was relying far too much on Hydro Pumps and Surikens to harass him offstage, which didn't really do much to keep him from coming back. I know what I did wrong here, but was (and still am) tunnel-visioned and couldn't find any better options so I still didn't know what to do.

2. Whenever he got to the ledge, I made poor guesses on most of his getup choices and he ended up getting away scot-free almost every time.

3. No footstool combos, something I still haven't mastered. For some reason, I don't have too many problems getting them in Training Mode but in the actual heat of battle I can almost never pull them off, and I have poor memory and knowledge of what percents they work at on each character.

4. I think I became too predictable with my approaches (mostly the nairs, fair, and especially Dash Grabs)? For as long as I've been playing, people have always told me that I'm quite grab-happy and go for more of them than they can count, and I think I remember whiffing quite a lot of them here.

Anything even more important that I'm missing? Or did I hit the nail on the head without realizing it? Whatever you think I need to work on most though, plz lay it on me. Haven't played the game much in weeks and I haven't been to any tournaments since the shielding patch. This is only the 2nd tournament I've been to in a while and I'm already off to a bad start.

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
that link is dead

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Smashladder match with my second fight vs Cloud
Vs a super good Pikachu on Smashladder I faced recently. His spacing was on point during our matches and he bodied me in the match after this.
Annoying Toon Link on For Glory. I really need to adapt better to this character.

Recording without 3DS capture card is kind of hard. Good thing that I'm getting Sm4sh Wii U next week.

Blue_Edge

Smash Rookie

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Style =/= results

The dudes movement was super clean and he played smart and safe. Who cares if he's "just another greninja" if he placed 3rd at nebulous. Good stuff to this Venia guy, those sets were refreshing.

Blue_Edge

Smash Rookie
Style =/= results

The dudes movement was super clean and he played smart and safe. Who cares if he's "just another greninja" if he placed 3rd at nebulous. Good stuff to this Venia guy, those sets were refreshing.
Using footstool combos raises our punish game to a much higher level. Allowing us to get over 60% simply off of a Nair. Techei also has a solid neutral; but what seperates venia from techei is him taking the time to master the more complex combos to make him a better player.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
you can't always play flashy in tournament

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
You say "just another Greninja" like there are a lot of us at his level. Or any level. Back down, what he's doing is working. Footstool combos are great but in tournament taking the safe damage is usually the better option. Doing the footstool combos on CPUs and on a living DIing opponent in a tense context where mistakes hurt you are completely different things. If you miss that footstool and mash the dair out anyway, now you're getting punished for something that "should" be guaranteed. Even Some rarely does that kind of stuff in tournament.

I gotta say Venia may be the most aggressive Greninja I have ever seen, but I love it. Hope he can continue to make a name for the character, cuz very few other people in the US are right now. I'm gonna do my best to start racking up big wins myself.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
he can afford to be aggro because his fair spacing is crazy good

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
P2P with Gibus took 1st in Shockwave 62 with mostly Greninja: http://tloc.challonge.com/SW62. Dakpo wasn't there, but Denti was and he did strangely bad at 9th. What was interesting was a Lucas main who Gibus had to fight for 1st. Haven't watch any of these entirely, so...

Gibus's Greninja vs. HaKii's Lucas and Captain Falcon (Winners Bracket): https://youtu.be/v6UOxKTgyEM.

Gibus's Greninja vs. Hyrule Hero's Link: https://youtu.be/PTV_WmiHsA8.

Gibus's Greninja and Mewtwo vs. HaKii's Lucas and Samus (Grand Finals): https://youtu.be/VsD9v3SYLcM.

There's also Sync's Greninja vs. Oracle's Mario and DK: https://youtu.be/KufUyCv-qzk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom