• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**ToS Presents: CLASH OF THE TITANS Melee/Brawl Tourney - DISCUSS COT DATES NOW**

GOTM

Smash Champion
Who knows?

But i was looking forward to our mm and you never got bak to me that day gotm lol.
lol, the mewtwo for 20 bucks like...i dont wanna MM anyone for 20 bucks, :laugh:

but i wanted to MM your sheik real bad, but when i had a break i couldnt find u i think you left. i barely got any friendlies that day though, had to kind of help run things, which is why i should be free this time round ;)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
dont worry theyr going on utube as well as blip. i was gonna put em up earlier but my work blocks certain uploads, one being utube. il also copy the post and put it in tournament videos section as well

GOTM

Smash Champion
ok everyone, new venue is kind of in place.

nothing is 100% yet but it should be worked out by tonight.

this one is going to be a LOT bigger, a LOT closer to the train station, and we'd have it for the whole day, which means no rushing once a stupid store closes, lol

only thing is, venue fee might be a little more? maybe around $10 venue, then $10 for each tourney

discuss.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
T_T

Well IMO your first tourney was great with the exception of lack of setups.

If you guys can just get a few more setups i thought i would have been a great tourney (And no terrible lag tvs please >.< for eggm's sake).

It still is a great tourney if you bump the prices i wont be able to go :(.

So i vote to keep the old venue and bring more setups please.

GOTM

Smash Champion
ok, good, this is the stuff we need to know, lol.

we still have to look into a lot of things, so that option still might be viable.

thanks for the input

GOTM

Smash Champion
the only thing is....

that place isnt sure if they wanna do another one :(

plus, we wanted to use more of the store for room but they wouldnt let us, so thats why we're out on the search

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well if you dont have a choice then find another venue that would make sense.

If at all possible you should keep that venue though Im sure you guys can fit another table with some more setups without taking THAT much space.

GOTM

Smash Champion
(This is a long post, but bear with me, it's worth the read, and has very important details concerning our next tournament)
From ChiboSempai because he can't access Smash Boards from work, but he emailed me this and told me to post it:

"Here's the deal with Clash of the Titans 2. We can't do it at the old venue. If you read their website, www.levelupentertainment.com they said the tournament went great, but they don't think they want to do a big tournament like that again. They want to switch back to their crappy small 1 or 2 laggy TV tournaments. I can't blame them in all fairness since we were there from before opening to after closing, and took up a lot of space and made a lot of noise that I'm sure they didn't like dealing with. Then again, they made out great money wise, as we had about 40 entrants (although only 32 were in the singles tournament) so they made an easy $200 for letting us chill there. The worst part was probably staying 40 minutes after they closed, which I'm sure they didn't like, even though I was told in an email before the tournament if we needed to stay late after closing, they wouldn't mind. I just didn't get a good vibe from them by the end of the night. That, and combined with them telling me they had 4 lag free, even for a GameCube, TVs that ended up being some of the worst TVs I've ever played on.

GOTM and I have been searching like crazy for another venue with little luck. We've tried searching around Philadelphia, and around South Jersey. We have thought about trying to get a local school to let us use their gym or lunchroom, or for a rec center to let us have the tournament there. The rec center was our big idea for the tournament, as it would have been a giant room, a possibility for people to sleep over (2 day tournament?), and it would have most likely been free. The location was a lot worse, but it had all the positives, and would have probably been a free venue fee. Unfortunately, we have been waiting a week and a half and still have heard nothing from them.

Finally we found the Fairfield Inn Marriot, which I'm sure you have heard GOTM talk about recently. The location is about a mile away from the Absecon train station (for those of you familiar with traveling to our last tournament or who know South Jersey), and it's on the same road. It's possible you could even go to the train station and walk to the tournament if no one is able to pick you up. We were originally aiming for a tournament on December 29th, but they were booked up but had a spot for January 5th. So I guess the first question is, is this date ok with everyone? Next up, the worst of news, the venue costs $350 (with no tax). It's no doubt that this is a lot of money. For $350 we get a room approximately 520 sq. feet that we can use the entire day, with an included water and mints station (I guess that's cool?), tables and chairs, and 1 provided TV. There is no word on if the TV is a SDTV or a HDTV. For the tournament though, we're not holding back at all. Bottom line: we absolutely promise more setups. I will be bringing 3 setups, if not 4. GOTM should be bringing atleast 1, if not 2 this time. Hopefully we can still get Mexi's TV. We haven't asked yet, but hopefully Scar can bring a TV or 2. Eggm? I'm lookin' at you to bring your TV again lol. Already at a best case scenario without other random people bringing TVs were at 10 SDTV setups. This isn't even counting the TV the venue is providing which may be useable (if it's not HDTV).

Now about the price... Neither of us (GOTM or myself) have any money we can use for the tournament. We're both going through college, and it costs a lot lol. Of course though we are still paying our share of the venue and tournament fees. There is no way we can be stuck with a big charge like this. I had suggested we do $15 entrance fee, and give a $5 discount to anyone that brings a setup. Scar, GOTM, and myself all thought this was too much but I had to suggest it anyway to make sure we cover the fee. Scar personally thinks even $10 is close, but its the lowest we can do. For this tournament we will have to charge a $10 entrance fee, with no discounts for people bringing setups (but PLEASE bring them!!!). We have already heard feedback from people such as Teczero, and all we can do is to ask for your support. We promise a MUCH better tournament (and if we got a lot of praise from our last one, minus amount of TV johns, which are legitimate johns lol), and it's only $5 more than our last one. We can have people come as early as 9am to start playing friendlies, and you can stay until 10:30pm-ish (maybe even later). Only one note on ending time, the meeting room is in the second floor near hotel rooms so they're asking us to be quiet if possible after 8:00pm, which I'm sure we can be sophisticated enough to do lol.

Next up on the pricing is the tournament fee. All money from tournament signups will be 100% for the pot. We don't want to take a percentage out of it. We will be doing $10 for singles and $10 per team for doubles. The doubles fee is the same as last time, and we up'ed singles to $10. Especially since there will be a lot less scrubs at this tournament, we shouldn't have as many people complaining about a higher tournament fee, and this will double the pot size over the last tournament if we get the same amount of people (which we better have more).

I don't know if any of you have ever reserved a meeting room before at a hotel, but it's a big deal. We have to have credit/debit card information to them prior to the tournament. If we try to cancel the room reservation within 15 days of the event, we are still charged $350. Meaning, we have to know if we are absolutely doing it for sure by about December 20th, if not a couple days earlier as I don't want to put everything off to the last minute. I'm not going to force people to do online signups before the tournament since we're not a giant national tournament like Pound or VLS. However, I need to realistically know how many people can go as soon as possible. Hopefully you can tell how worried I am about getting stuck with a $350 fee with a post like this lol. I want every Clash of the Titans tournament to get bigger and bigger, and this is going to be our final Melee tournament. Starting with CoT3, we will be converting to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The more people we can get to go to CoT2 means the more successful it will be, which means more people will want to go to CoT3 which makes that more successful, and makes more people want to go to CoT4 and so on.

Note that nothing is final yet. I have the room reserved for January 5th, but I am not signing any papers until early next week. I am going to visit the venue this Friday to make sure it's definitely good for running our tournament. If you made it to reading this far, thanks, it actually means a lot lol. Please reply back with your thoughts on this."

Holy **** did I just type that much?

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
thats too much money for me... i doubt i would b able to make it.... and plus i think its pretty cold out to walk a mile from the train station to get to the venue and plus gettin out there wit nj transit is already gonna cost over 10 then another 10 for a venue fee then another 10 for singles and if i wana do doubles its another 10.... sorry but thats just too much money for me to spend on somethin i kno im not even gonna win lol

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
If you want a bigger turnout you need to push the date back. Look at pound 3. They expect a huge turnout and posted it like 3 months before hand.

Also is it $350 a day or the weekend.

And 520 sq ft is kinda tiny.

Velocity

Smash Lord
i would be so good at running tournies and stuff, though i am far too busy and lazy to go searching for venues, beyond lazy

GOTM

Smash Champion
If you want a bigger turnout you need to push the date back. Look at pound 3. They expect a huge turnout and posted it like 3 months before hand.

Also is it $350 a day or the weekend.

And 520 sq ft is kinda tiny.
we're working on making a group at drexel, and if this is successful, they will let us use there rooms without a venue fee.

actually, i think techincally there is one, but they give us funds to use for the events we plan. theres a decent amount of paperwork and we need 10 peoples name, e-mail, and ID number to do it, but its very possible.

chibo already talked to the people and they said something like this is 100% doable. just need some peoples support to get it going.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea more vids should be comin tonight, and i kno theres another tape for tv4. im prob gonna work on a differ tv tho to even it out

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Okay, so... I played a Peach, my set with him would be fine to upload... I'd like my Samus v Sheik match with Teczero, my dashdance stock with Triad, and any set where I kick ***.

Also my moneymatch set if available?

I know you guys are busy so I'm not saying "DO THIS TONIGHT! DO IT!" but whenever you get time, if you can upload any of my requests along with any set where I was recorded and I'm ****** faces, I'd appreciate it.

<3 ToS
That'd be me you fought. I don't know if you fought Shakugan as well, but I know you fought me. OMG....that match was utter ****....-__-. Not to mention the team match wasn't the best. Lol, I could barely see what I was doing in that one. Yeah....um....Chocbo vs. me....ewwww....-_-. There were some friendlies, I think it was TV three. A huge set of friendlies teams. The ones I was teamed up with TenNo Tensai, and Also Shakugan. How about some Ame wins in there? Don't want people thinking I TOTALLY suck >_>

Scar

#HarveyDent
@ Chocobo and Ame, everyone wants vids of them winning up. People can tell your skill level regardless of whether you win or lose, and also I'd prefer to have bad matches online than good ones. That way I surprise people when they play me for real, and also they aren't going to learn the nuances of my playstyle through vids.

AlexanderTriad

Smash Ace
@ Chocobo and Ame, everyone wants vids of them winning up. People can tell your skill level regardless of whether you win or lose, and also I'd prefer to have bad matches online than good ones. That way I surprise people when they play me for real, and also they aren't going to learn the nuances of my playstyle through vids.
I just want the videos because I have no footage of me.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yesterdays footage delayed until today lol

sorry i was too busy playing smash. il try and get them up today

Beat

Smash Ace
Whatever, I'm taller than you. Shut up.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yes, but I'm more critical of myself than other people are. I'd like to see something I did RIGHT. Or at LEAST the match I had against Sneak. Same TV as the one I played Reik on. So it's not a total ****-fest match. >_>

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
videos are up, but i dont have time to get the links here, i should tonight.

search cot on blip.tv, theyr some from tv1 at the end of the night

Top Bottom