• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Topaz's Mods and Costume Makeovers: Alastor?!

Which Character Should I "Remix" Next?

• Captain Falcon

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Mewtwo

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Lucario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Link

• Toon Link

• Zelda

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Mr. Game and Watch

• Zero Suit Samus

• Ridley

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Hello Everyone! I'm planning to work on a project called "Character Remix". This project's objective is to create a "base" costume that is aesthetically pleasing, vibrant like the Smash 3 Project, detailed like Smash 4, and a beautiful blend of appearances in multiple games. I began thinking about this when I began gathering costumes for a build idea I had. The first character I was deciding, of course, was my main Samus, but I ran into a roadblock. I liked the sleekness and metallic look of Smash 4 Samus, but I hated how feminine and skinny the suit was. I liked Prime Samus, but her suit wasn't as sleek looking, and the shoulder pads seemed too big. Brawl Samus is the closest to the design of Super Metroid, but is lower quality and doesn't mix with the newer artistic concepts of technology in Metroid. So, I decided to make a blend of all three, using iwantgames' Sm4sh model, Theyta's Prime model, and Smash 3C's textures/palette. So that's the start of my new project. Select a character!

Last edited:

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
I really like the idea of mixing design cues from different sources. Specifically PM would benefit from having their own designs for certain characters such as Link, Samus and Captain Falcon given than that seems to be the constant in every official installment of Smash.

Samus looks great. I like that it looks bulkier like in Metroid Prime. It's a logical choice given how much Samus weights in-game. The texture is fine, although I'd leave the cannon lights blue. Also, the details in the lower torso should be less saturated or else it looses the illusion of depth.

But they're details. Overall, it sounds like an exciting project and I'm eager to see more.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
I really like the idea of mixing design cues from different sources. Specifically PM would benefit from having their own designs for certain characters such as Link, Samus and Captain Falcon given than that seems to be the constant in every official installment of Smash.

Samus looks great. I like that it looks bulkier like in Metroid Prime. It's a logical choice given how much Samus weights in-game. The texture is fine, although I'd leave the cannon lights blue. Also, the details in the lower torso should be less saturated or else it looses the illusion of depth.

But they're details. Overall, it sounds like an exciting project and I'm eager to see more.
Thanks for the feedback! I made the cannon lights red-orange to reflect how the Prime cannon has those lights on the front to show which beam you're using. Now I really wish I could make it turn blue for ice. But I can make an alt with just the standard green if you want. I'm planning to adjust the textures on the lower half anyway, since they didn't come out the way I wanted them to. Also, when I fully finish Samus, which character should I work on next?
EDIT: Does this look better?
ScreenCapture10.png

Last edited:

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
Thanks for the feedback! I made the cannon lights red-orange to reflect how the Prime cannon has those lights on the front to show which beam you're using. Now I really wish I could make it turn blue for ice. But I can make an alt with just the standard green if you want. I'm planning to adjust the textures on the lower half anyway, since they didn't come out the way I wanted them to. Also, when I fully finish Samus, which character should I work on next?
EDIT: Does this look better?
View attachment 75110
No problem!
I'm interested in seeing how you redesign Captain Falcon. It can be very interesting.

TSW

Smash Rookie
Love the concept, man. Nice work on Samus, can't wait to see what you do next. I think the Legend of Zelda cast would really benefit from being "remixed" since there are so many iterations of each of those characters.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
This man knows what's up with Samus! So Topaz... will these models have Smash 3 rimlighting and whatever special details the PMDT adds like Samus' visor glow?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
This man knows what's up with Samus! So Topaz... will these models have Smash 3 rimlighting and whatever special details the PMDT adds like Samus' visor glow?
Thanks! This model is based off of Iwantgames' Smash 4 Samus, which has rimlighting of some sort and I'm pretty sure all the lights glow.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I am very impressed. As others have said, I'd change the colors of the lights back to what they were before, but otherwise it's essentially perfect IMO. I want to see what you can do with Mewtwo if you're up for it.

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Is this available for download?
-hyped-
Soon.
I am very impressed. As others have said, I'd change the colors of the lights back to what they were before, but otherwise it's essentially perfect IMO. I want to see what you can do with Mewtwo if you're up for it.
For the lights, do you just mean the gun, or all of the lights? Also, I might try Mewtwo, but I'm not sure what I'd do with him... I'll figure it out ;)

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone!
Awesome, do you do alt costume psa?
Cause it would be cool to have dark Samus suit have blue aura particle effects to represent phazon!
Just a suggestion xD
Sorry, I'm just doing costumes, I don't know how to change gfx for certain slots through moveset editing.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
I'm having issues with the costumes right now... For some reason, even though the costumes are only 1.70 MB, they keep compressing to 1.2 MB, which is causing the CSS to crash. Why aren't they compressing down the way they should be?
EDIT: I've temporarily solved the problem by halving the resolution of some of the textures, on Wii it's not really noticeable, but on dolphin it might, idk. I'll release this version if there's no other solution.
EDIT2: Samus is now released! Try her out! Textures are still High Quality! Yay!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Im diggin' the new look. Better fits with MP and SM content in the game. Lights' color on the gun and Power Suit recolor bother me though. Lights would look better if they would match suit's lights while Power Suit just looks weird. Its shoulderpads don't really match previous PS designs. How about making them look like something between Metroid Prime and Other M designs?
ScreenCapture72.png
Parts of the chest that had lights on the before look weird too.
Also, removing those extra pieces on the boots (or at least those spikes) would be a nice touch.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Im diggin' the new look. Better fits with MP and SM content in the game. Lights' color on the gun and Power Suit recolor bother me though. Lights would look better if they would match suit's lights while Power Suit just looks weird. Its shoulderpads don't really match previous PS designs. How about making them look like something between Metroid Prime and Other M designs?
Parts of the chest that had lights on the before look weird too.
Also, removing those extra pieces on the boots (or at least those spikes) would be a nice touch.
Thanks. I see what you mean with the Power Suit, I meant to make it look like the Super Metroid power suit, except I just looked at the higher detail sprites and realized I was off. Whoops. I'll fix up the Power Suit to make it look more like Super Metroid, but I can also add one to look like MP's. As for the cannon lights, I personally prefer the blue, but I will provide an alternate set in the download that has matching lights.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Thanks. I see what you mean with the Power Suit, I meant to make it look like the Super Metroid power suit, except I just looked at the higher detail sprites and realized I was off. Whoops. I'll fix up the Power Suit to make it look more like Super Metroid, but I can also add one to look like MP's. As for the cannon lights, I personally prefer the blue, but I will provide an alternate set in the download that has matching lights.
I completly forgot how that one looked like. Just looked it up and yeah, it looks like it, but still off. And having more options is always a good thing.

Obskore

Smash Ace
while we're at it, (not trying to sound bossy or anything) how about more glowing lights on her legs? like in Prime, Samus had 3 lights on each leg:
1 on each outer thigh and 2 more on her calves, to the sides.

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
while we're at it, (not trying to sound bossy or anything) how about more glowing lights on her legs? like in Prime, Samus had 3 lights on each leg:
1 on each outer thigh and 2 more on her calves, to the sides.
I was actually thinking about that and was trying to do that, by importing the leg lights from Theytah's model, but I soon realized it would take too long to come out with an unsatisfactory result. If I were to painstakingly change the coordinates of each vertex to line up with each vertex on the leg, with an unbalanced number of vertices, stretched textures, and asymmetrical balance between the legs, with no proper indentation... You get the idea. I could probably just import the entire legs, but then they would definitely not match the rest of the suit due to the modeling. I can't remap textures in Brawlbox, so it just wouldn't be worth it. Plus, Super Metroid just has the ones on the lower leg, which somewhat matches what the other m legs already have.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
DAT SAMUS. She needs to look like that in the next Metroid game. lol I always wanted to see what a blending of her Echoes and Sm4sh iterations of her Varia Suit would look like, since they're my favorites. Love it!

For the next remix, I think if you were to do Captain Falcon, I think something resembling his anime appearance would look cool. :)

Or for Zero Suit Samus, a nice blending of her Sm4sh, Other M, and Brawl appearances would look great.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I was actually thinking about that and was trying to do that, by importing the leg lights from Theytah's model, but I soon realized it would take too long to come out with an unsatisfactory result. If I were to painstakingly change the coordinates of each vertex to line up with each vertex on the leg, with an unbalanced number of vertices, stretched textures, and asymmetrical balance between the legs, with no proper indentation... You get the idea. I could probably just import the entire legs, but then they would definitely not match the rest of the suit due to the modeling. I can't remap textures in Brawlbox, so it just wouldn't be worth it. Plus, Super Metroid just has the ones on the lower leg, which somewhat matches what the other m legs already have.
How about something like this:
ScreenCapture97.png

Nothing on calves/lower parts of her legs, but thats at least something.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
How about something like this:
View attachment 75381
Nothing on calves/lower parts of her legs, but thats at least something.
Yeah, I remember that. The problem is, I'd need to set up a glow spec map/shader, which I can learn from Theytah's thread, but there's not enough space for any more textures, since I'm really pushing the .pcs limit at 1.09 MB. I could try to use the existing spec map, but that's the one I half the size of, so the lights would look really blurry, and not fine like the beta gravity suit.
EDIT: There's not a rig for that, is there? Actually, that'd mean more textures... Ugh. Unless someone is willing to remap textures, I won't have enough space for lights.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Here's the revised Power Suit:
ScreenCapture16.png

As for the MP Power Suit, I know there's a costume of it on kcmm, but I can't find it, dunno why. If I can find it, I'll make an alt for it.
EDIT: Ignore the neck, I fixed it after the screenshot.

Last edited:

KingOfTheHill

Smash Cadet
Really loving how this came out. Only thing is I'm not a fan of how the other m arm cannon looks. Do you think you could make a version with the Prime arm cannon?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Really loving how this came out. Only thing is I'm not a fan of how the other m arm cannon looks. Do you think you could make a version with the Prime arm cannon?
One thing I really wanted to do was to create a hybrid of both, but that'd mean I would have to edit the gun model on Samus and the "Gun" Gun model while keeping both identical, which would require lots of math, time, and annoyance. Since I can't mix both, I'll probably have yet another derivative, unless everyone only wants the prime cannon.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
One thing I really wanted to do was to create a hybrid of both, but that'd mean I would have to edit the gun model on Samus and the "Gun" Gun model while keeping both identical, which would require lots of math, time, and annoyance. Since I can't mix both, I'll probably have yet another derivative, unless everyone only wants the prime cannon.
Eh, if it's that much of a bother, I don't know if it's worth it to mess with it. If putting the Prime cannon on with no edits is easy, I'd say do that,, but definitely don't do anything crazy to make it work. There's much better uses of everyone's time.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
To start things off, amazing work! I really like the other options for costumes, like the MP2 multiplayer skins and the Phazon Suit, and I have to ask, what is that purple suit with the silver arm cannon?

Ignore what used to be here. I didn't see that you brought it up earlier.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
To start things off, amazing work! I really like the other options for costumes, like the MP2 multiplayer skins and the Phazon Suit, and I have to ask, what is that purple suit with the silver arm cannon?

Ignore what used to be here. I didn't see that you brought it up earlier.
Thanks! I based some of the recolors off of the ones of Smash 3C Samus, including the purple one.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 76188 So this rigging problem came up (the left one, of course).
That happens with Sm4sh Samus too, I think? I have the shoulders from Prime the same size and position as the Sm4sh ones, so it might be just an issue with translating OM's Proportions onto Brawl Samus' skeleton. I'll look into it, thanks for letting me know.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
View attachment 76188 So this rigging problem came up (the left one, of course).
Actually I've noticed that regular Brawl Samus has that weird little quirk, too. It's not as noticeable since the shoulder is part of the official Brawl model of course, but it's still there. Just some odd trait of the shoulder joint in Brawl for some reason.

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it's been a bit since I've released something... Gotta love school! Anyway, I haven't had time to put together an ultimate Captain Falcon (Don't worry, I will soonTM) so instead, I decided to finish an old project that's been sitting around:
ScreenCapture16.png

I didn't like the quality of the model and textures for the Alastor Mod, so I decided to put together something a little nicer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom