• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Yoshis

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
First of all, your post count is amazing. Second, I'm hoping I can prove my place in, or hopefully even climb the rankings. I consistanly place top 10, never once placing below that position in a long time (I've only ever done so once and that was in October of last year), and I have been doing much better lately, so I'm hoping I can step it up in my results more. I'll also be going to bigger tournaments a lot more now that I'm out of high school, so I'll be playing a lot more high level players and be able to improve and show my skills more. ^__^
Well, the way I see it is that, you do have top 10 placings but they're out of like 15-18 people in Utah.. :I And it's not like I dont have top 10 placings either (in NY). My post count is epic by the way dont make fun of it. >.>

breez

Smash Ace
it has recently come to my attention that i am not the best yoshi in canada, and seeing how neither poltergust nor delta-cod are canadian, it stands to reason that i should either be removed from this list or the true canadian yoshi champion should be placed above me. I hope, for accuracy's sake, that the current erroneous list can be fixed in this way as soon as possible.

The real best yoshi in canada is a player who goes by "pengy" on all is brawl. Seeking to challenge my title, we agreed to play some friendlies, and he 2-stocked me not once, not twice, but four times in a row before he grew bored and left me to wallow in my own pitiful self-doubt. You may not have heard of him, but that's only because he lives in manitoba, a province completely devoid of any smash community (presumably because pengy scared them all away). Rest assured, when he does make his offline debut, he will shock everybody with his unmatched ability, and will surely challenge even the blood god himself for the coveted title of "best yoshi in north america".

As for me, i've already come to accept this judgement. This is the sign i needed to finally drop yoshi for good and go all mk from here on out. I was overrated anyway. =]

:005:
you be trollin'

Asa

Smash Hero
naw breez

i played pengy too

****ing beast mode

you can't whistle beast mode

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Been thinking of a simple formula for this T5Y, but found out it was too similar to the Pikachu boards Tournament Results.
Who has an idea for a better formula?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I don't even know what the Pika boards thing is.

*goes to look*

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Here's the Pika boards Formula.

# of attendees / your placing = # of points awarded
Ex: 25th out of 50 = 50 / 25 = 2.0 points
Was also thinking of factoring in Winning certain points based on Notable Players you've won against...

And i've had a Mindset all my life of taking other peoples things without asking only causes something terrible to get you back someday, since it literally does for me with my kind of life.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
The first thing sounds good. Round up depending on something. Idk what your round factor should be. Also add something extra for 17th place. Not extra points but keep a tally of 13th and 17th placings. For top 5 most cursed Yoshis lmao. 13th is 1 point towards that and 17th is 2.

Also for the notable player thing. That sounds good but then you need to weight notable players. Was it like a 70:30 Matchup? Did notable person go his main? MM or Tourny Set? How much money was at stake in said MM? Blah blah. Seriously you're gonna be doing work for something that not many really give a damn about, but it might as well be as accurate as possible.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Why don't you just ask the pika boards if you can use it lol.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
The only other problem I see with the notable player thing is that a person who is considered notable in one region might not even be considered decent in another.

Yikarur

Smash Master
you can add a multiplicator for "winning against someone that is placed higher than yourself" or something like that =D

Scatz

Smash Champion
Here's the Pika boards Formula.

Was also thinking of factoring in Winning certain points based on Notable Players you've won against...

And i've had a Mindset all my life of taking other peoples things without asking only causes something terrible to get you back someday, since it literally does for me with my kind of life.

Just to let you know. They're formula is good, but basic. Anything that attempts to get accurate is gonna take a lot of math equations just ot counter balance. Notable players are ok, but the problem that lies in using them is knowing how good they are relative to the world (or in this case, USA/Canada). If you're prepared to try and make a complex equation (with a ****load of variables) then by all means, go for it; however, it's not worth the time and effort to just find out who's the top 5, especially when we have little amount of players going to tourneys AND placing with a consistent change of players.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I was thinking of using the forumla for the Tournament results as well, but now that You mention it/I thought about it.
Maybe I shouldn't update this and just agree upon who can snatch the 5th spot based on what I have up from this thread/The Tournament results?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm bored so for everytime I post in here, it'll probably be A very poorly thought out formula for this or an Update.
Not in the mood for an update since there's many tournaments for all of us that're not added so here's a terrible formula.
Gears of War 2 might I add.

If you beat a Normal Player == +100 Points
If you beat a Notable Player == +175 Points
If you lose to A Notable Player == -10 Points
If you lose to A Normal Player == -50 Points

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Define notable. If you can give a solid answer as to what notable is, then okay, I guess a formula like that could work.

IMO, there should be 2 levels of notability. Local notability, and national notability. For example, as Rajam's SWF rankings are the closest thing to a legit national rankings that we have and will probably ever get, say that anyone ranked top 100 is notable on a national level. After that, say anyone PR'd in that state in notable to a local level.

As much as I'd like to find a better formula, and as much as we all know that this will be slightly bias towards players in weaker scenes, there really isn't a way to determine skill at such a large level, so I'd say this is pretty much the best type of formula we could use. Sure, I guess point values and such could be altered and such if we feel a need to change, and we can add levels to which skill is classed, but really, I dont think we have any better options as to how we play this out.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You could always use the weird Halo one thats uber complicated.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Utah just has a panel that votes. We could always do that too.

Top Bottom