• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well I totally hate Peach vs Marth MU and TL seems to have a better chance. Finnish Marths are very aggressive so iBombing should destroy them.

That's done by either running forward and quickly charging UpSmash (you'll move forward with your running momentum), or more reliably by jump-canceling the upsmash (running forward, hit jump, almost instantly charge upsmash).

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Finnish Marths are very aggressive so iBombing should destroy them.
You have the right idea. Be careful with how you use iBomb though because you might end up airdodging into your opponent otherwise. But yes, iBomb is one crucial factor that makes the matchup even.

more like 55:45
You only say that since you get twostocked by my wifi marth :awesome:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
When attempting to do an air dodge bomb drop, I know that you have to press R and Z ALMOST at the exact same time. When trying to time it, which button do I press first? Z then R or R then Z? Because I know that pressing R then Z does the hookshot, but I'm wondering if you have to do it SUPER SUPER SUPER fast :p

MasterKurei: I don't remember what bomb sliding exactly is, but I'm pretty sure I can do it cause the term sounds extremely familiar.

Yoshi8984: Air dodge first, then hit grab (between frames 1-5).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Can TL bombslide like Link?
Yes and no. Yes in the sense that he can do that Dacus item toss (calling it that just so we're clear on what you're talking about) just like everybody can, but no in the sense that he doesn't get a noticeable slide out of it like Link does (just like everybody can do a Dacus, but not everybody's is noticeable, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing it because of things like U-smash while holding an item).
So basically no.
The only noticeable versions of the bombslide that Toon does are the ones where he fake throws it in another direction (upwards of backwards), but these are useless and the whole thing is too hard to master for Toon to bother with it. Instead, we do JC Throws.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Huh?!?
I dunno if this is the place to put this but uh... On Toon's Up + B on the ground, there is a spot (At least against Zelda, gonna test rest of cast) where if you are just at the far enough away that you can't reach most the hits... It shows a hit animation, makes a fwip sound and does 0% damage. Just something interesting I thought i'd throw in. Most useless AT ever. :p

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
That reminded me, me and Fino were playing TL dittos for fun and we randomly happened to stumble upon that when my Dair knocked him off stage(wind hitbox) during his grounded up-b, he still did his up-b in the air but got no vertical momentum(May be do to that he was almost at the end when i knocked him off, but idk) and went into freefalling animation and then proceeded to die because of it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
That reminded me, me and Fino were playing TL dittos for fun and we randomly happened to stumble upon that when my Dair knocked him off stage(wind hitbox) during his grounded up-b, he still did his up-b in the air but got no vertical momentum(May be do to that he was almost at the end when i knocked him off, but idk) and went into freefalling animation and then proceeded to die because of it.
ya u can do that by just running off and pressing Up B

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Ok, more serious post this time around... I put Brawl down for about 6~8 months and just recently picked it back up. Working through TL's advanced stuff (Wasn't that great with him to begin with) and I can do some awesome stuff of training mode! I can BCAT, SHDB, SH Z drop, SHDA, SMS with boomerang, SH Bairs, etc.

But for some reason, none of this translates into an actual match. Ever. My SHDBs and SHDA and BCATs fail. Wi-Fi screws with Z-drops, and the only techs I can use reliably are the boomerang ones. Even my sword techniques fail.

Is there a way to practice to make the transition from training to the real deal smoother?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^ Experience mostly :/. Just keep practicing them and try to apply them in a match. It helps to do it step by step. Like, play friendlies with someone and concentrate on doing BCAT. Then when u think u got that down, practice something else and keep going. It also helps to not play to win as much in the beginning, but to learn.

army man

Smash Ace
Ok, more serious post this time around... I put Brawl down for about 6~8 months and just recently picked it back up. Working through TL's advanced stuff (Wasn't that great with him to begin with) and I can do some awesome stuff of training mode! I can BCAT, SHDB, SH Z drop, SHDA, SMS with boomerang, SH Bairs, etc.

But for some reason, none of this translates into an actual match. Ever. My SHDBs and SHDA and BCATs fail. Wi-Fi screws with Z-drops, and the only techs I can use reliably are the boomerang ones. Even my sword techniques fail.

Is there a way to practice to make the transition from training to the real deal smoother?
well you do have to do it 21 times to make it a habit so, do it 21 times Lolz.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble incorporating Z-airs into my gameplay. Can someone give me some pointers on when I should use them?

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble incorporating Z-airs into my gameplay. Can someone give me some pointers on when I should use them?
When you land you should use them to space and keep your opponent from punishing your landings. Also should retreating SH Zair is good if you need to back up and get space between you and your opponent. And basically whenever you want.

Get Low

Smash Ace
When you land you should use them to space and keep your opponent from punishing your landings. Also should retreating SH Zair is good if you need to back up and get space between you and your opponent. And basically whenever you want.
Thanks. That's pretty helpful. :)

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. That's pretty helpful. :)
Also add in ibombs to cover your landings plus when they approach in the air. Combined w/ your Zair,'Rang, Arrows, and Nair your pretty much BEAST mode in the air
Or lets put it this way, TL's jumping swag is cooler than his walking swag.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Just keep practicing dude.. this game is ridiculously easy in terms of amount of tech skill required compared to melee so dont worry u'll get the hang of it.
plat CPUs a LOT until everything is just muscle memory and then play a lot of people to get better

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Practice certain techniques(Ibombing,SHDA,etc.) in training and keep doing it until you can do it without trying. Once you get them down you can incorporate them into your gameplay and WRECK people. Also practice regularly on CPU's even if you have the said technique down and make sure you can still do it. Then play like friendlies and focus on incorporating that technique into your gameplay and then you should have it down.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
How good is DAir as an offstage spike? I know the risks involved in using it, but as a move, would you recommend it as a killer?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Dair is terrible.

Don't ever use it unless after a bair > footstool at low percents. Even that's risky.

Some might claim that it's useful against Snake when he recovers, but if you miss then you're dead.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Dair is terrible.

Don't ever use it unless after a bair > footstool at low percents. Even that's risky.

Some might claim that it's useful against Snake when he recovers, but if you miss then you're dead.
Dair is bad. Besides Dair, you could Lege Grab, FF Fair/Uair, or any number of anything that doesnt involve you possibly dying

Against a Snake that's recovering, always use Fair, even if you're facing backwards. Fair can throw your enemy backwards if you hit it with the body/elbow hitbox.

MJG

Smash Hero
Nair works better against snake actually if you want to gimp him. Fair as more knock back than Nair and it will aid the snake if he is trying to recover. If you think you can kill snake, then go for fair....a good snake won't be in a position for you to be able to fair them often anyways.

I forgot to mention the part where you always fair "after edgehogging his 2nd jump".

My bad. xD

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually, just to go against the accepted norm, these days I honestly think Dair off stage can be an amazing option. I used to pride myself on never using it and being able to restrain myself from the urge at all costs. I wasn't wrong, but I wasn't completely right either. You just have to use it when you know it will connect (much more than just a feeling; like the opponent has nowhere else to go or they use their one option, so you know because it can be no other way). It’s just that I've been developing a spike game recently and I rarely miss anymore, and when I do it's because I screwed up and I know it, not just because they saw it coming or because they were able to avoid it. It's because I mistimed it from lack of experience or something like that, something that can be worked on and has been getting a lot better. It's like this; you don't ever go out with any plan to spike, cause that will get you killed as you're already committed in your mind. You have to go out with it in your mind that a Fair or Nair (just for example) are good enough and that you'd be happy with either connecting. Some matchups are also just really easy to spike in due to really bad and/or really limited recoveries (especially when they are limited in the amount of control they have during recovery). For example, with Snake, if you try to spike him directly above him at a certain point (slightly lower than where you would just pogo off the cypher with no effect), it will either hit him in the hands or he will try to airdodge and you will pogo off the cypher he let go of and be safe. Or against characters that have limited or no control over where they go once they've started their Up-B, like Link and Toon (once you see which direction they are travelling in, they are basically stuck going along that set path and if they start from well below it gives you plenty of time to set yourself up before they snap to the edge, even the distance they start it from and where they were in relation to the edge when they started will be a good indication of what must and will happen, but again, you have to have the mindset that something like a stage spike will be good enough and only try to spike when you see that they are definitely going in the right direction and not up against the lip or something), Diddy (same deal but only once he starts moving), Fox and Falco (Up-B at the start if you're already close of course) etc. (with some matchups, it’s fair enough to say that it will most likely never be safe to spike under any circumstance given the mindset that is adopted here).
You just need to 'choose your battles wisely' so to speak and never feel committed to spiking.
So yeah, if used properly I see no reason not to call it amazing anymore. If you miss then it's your own fault; but this is a good thing because it’s something you can control and work on. And as always, practise helps you to recognise when it's ok.
Just something to think about at least.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Nair works better against snake actually if you want to gimp him. Fair as more knock back than Nair and it will aid the snake if he is trying to recover. If you think you can kill snake, then go for fair....a good snake won't be in a position for you to be able to fair them often anyways.
fair is better if he's farther off stage, even if it doesn't kill him but if you can put him close enough towards the side that he almost dies its better than a nair that can send him up as well a bit to give him height to recover with

NearZzz

Smash Lord
I've always played with the default setting, but its more personal choice than anything. Just use whatever setting is most comfortable to you.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Everybody should Dair spike recovering Diddies from below. :awesome:
Man, that is Diddies only HUGE drawback. Im trying to learn him and I get screwed all the time when recovering with Up-B. Dont even have to Dair sometimes, just edgehog if thats all it takes.

Top Bottom