• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

LeafR

Smash Rookie
Controller Configuration

Hey guys, (and gals I suppose), just wanted to know what controller you use and your specific configuration. If you could, also mention the grip you use on the controller.
I know this kind of info isn't all that helpful and that it's all down to personal preference, but I always want to know this sort of details, out of mere curiosity.

I'll start :)

I use a Gamecube Controller (surprise surprise), turn tap jump off and change 'R' button to attack instead of shield.
I use Ze Claw grip, probably because my fingers aren't fast enough to do some things :)

That's about it.
What about you guys?

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
I use L for shield, R for attack, A for jump, X for Attack, Y for grab. Oh and tap jump off.
Standard GC controller of course.

LeafR

Smash Rookie
I use L for shield, R for attack, A for jump, X for Attack, Y for grab. Oh and tap jump off.
Standard GC controller of course.
That's a somewhat peculiar set-up, which is awesome of course ;)

I've also been considering switching one of the d-pad's directions to grab, that would make IZAC so much easier, wouldn't it?

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
How often does Toon Link's neutral animation neutralizing projectile's damage(and hitstun too iirc) come into play? I udnerstand you generally don't stand in one place, but if some noob Fox is trying to spam lasers from far away I geuss you could stall some time just standing there(assuming you have a wall behind you to absorb the knockback)?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
From what I gather, you're talking about the Hyrulian shield, or as I like to call it, the noob shield. I call it the noob shield because I only ever see it used when someone reacts too slowly to powershield a projectile and are saved by the noob shield. So yeah, it's never used on purpose.

I use it on purpose against Lucario's aura sphere in positions where the shield push won't push me off a ledge or something. That's pretty much it though. Everything else is just as FioD says.

Flea_16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flea_16
I gotta quick question my brothas! I was play against an Mk in tourney and I fair into grab him, he broke out and I hit him with a running upsmash. DOES TL HAVE A GRAB RELEASE ON MK? Cuz they guy said he tried to shuttle loop and couldn't.

:phone:

MJG

Smash Hero
From what I gather, you're talking about the Hyrulian shield, or as I like to call it, the noob shield. I call it the noob shield because I only ever see it used when someone reacts too slowly to powershield a projectile and are saved by the noob shield. So yeah, it's never used on purpose.
I use it on purpose...only when I know im gonna be hit with something that my Hyrulian shield can block...I don't do it often though lol

@flea: The GR to Up smash has been known for awhile. MK has to hit jump for this to happen though.

Btmns

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm curious what other Tinks think of Brinstar as a CP.
We can split the platform (breaking the balls in the middle) with a single U-air or boomerang and occasionally i've been able to do it with Z-air.

Does anyone have much match-up experience/know which characters are countered by brinstar?

Thanks in advance.

IZAC
How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump then quickly Tap Z to Z-drop the bomb, Instantly let go of Z (tap), then Instantly catch it with an aerial.
Effect: Similar to the ZAC, the only difference being that the IZAC comes out faster.
Note: It is very important that you Z-drop the Bomb asap, too early will cancel the jump (JC Throw), too late, well it won't be as effective. It is also extremely important that you are not pressing Z when you use an aerial otherwise it won't work. You can try tapping or flicking Z to make sure you're only pressing it for a split second, whatever works for you. So yeah, this is super hard to pull off. But if you do manage to pull it off it means that you can use more than one aerial in the one SH while holding a bomb by Chaining the aerials together, then you can easily follow up with a bomb throw.
Stages: All
Usefulness: 9/10

The trick to it is that you have to do it REALLY REALLY fast.

Grox

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know how to get better at using the shield and dodging? I always just get pummeled and never shield or dodge at the right time.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
^Same here.

Also, I'm brand new to competive brawling, and I was wondering where a good place to start is. (I've been playing casual smash bros. for years now and TL has been my main for a while in brawl)

ToonWaker

Smash Cadet
NNID
5una23
3DS FC
3737-9687-2294
If anyone that would be willing i am looking for a Toon Link mentor whom can teach me and help me reach my best if anyone accepts I promise I will do my best always and wil do anything to better myself and if interested leave me a pm please.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
I think anyone here might be able to help you improve if you just ask and post videos so we can see what you are and aren't doing right. Though if you are looking for someone to play irl, it'll depend on your location.

ToonWaker

Smash Cadet
NNID
5una23
3DS FC
3737-9687-2294
No I am just looking for a mentor whom can teach me even if it has to be over wifi and I do not exactly have the means to make videos or post them

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
You can play wifi, but its not exactly optimal for this. Though just look around for a high level player, it doesn't even had to be a TL player. Just a player that will teach you to play competitively. Then you can learn TL stuff by watching videos, talking with top level TL players (skype, SWF,etc), reading threads on here, etc.

LeafR

Smash Rookie
Question regarding the Snake MU; Is it possible to DI down, after taking the second hit of Snake's Ftilt at high percentage, and then grab the edge with the Zair?

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Well it depends on what percent, how far the edge is, etc. You might be able to but it depends on when you get out of hitstun so you can input Grab. I mean I've tethered to the edge after being hit a considerable distance at high percents to cancel momentum and put myself in a better position on the ledge rather than off stage quite a ways.

ToonWaker

Smash Cadet
NNID
5una23
3DS FC
3737-9687-2294
Ive tried also to get ahold of others on Skype or eslewhere that specializes at Toon Link but I am in need of a mentor

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
You can interupt air dodge with Zair, and Zair lag is cancelled upon landing. F-smash also has two swings to it, and you dont have to do both. Thats all I can think of, unless you like threw a bomb up and it fell on you during a move.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
You can interrupt your jump into:
1) Jump-cancel item toss
2) Jump-cancel up-smash
3) Jump-cancel up-b
This is most mostly done to get a little slide.
You can also cancel your shield into a jump, and then cancel the jump into any of those 3 options.
You can also do jab cancels (not really recommended...) by crouching.
You can also do skid cancelling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-I70pNhqgo
Something else is spin attack fall cancel... which is useless but looks cool.

All of these are really useful, but not TL exclusive (excepto for the last one, which happens to be the useless one XDD). You can find more info in the Advanced techniques thread.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
You can interrupt your jump into:
1) Jump-cancel item toss
2) Jump-cancel up-smash
3) Jump-cancel up-b
This is most mostly done to get a little slide.
You can also cancel your shield into a jump, and then cancel the jump into any of those 3 options.
You can also do jab cancels (not really recommended...) by crouching.
You can also do skid cancelling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-I70pNhqgo
Something else is spin attack fall cancel... which is useless but looks cool.

All of these are really useful, but not TL exclusive (excepto for the last one, which happens to be the useless one XDD). You can find more info in the Advanced techniques thread.
How do you jump-cancel

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
How do you jump-cancel
You can find more info in the Advanced techniques thread.
XD

Read up son.

But seriously, you just enter the appropriate input immediately after pressing jump and this cancels the actual jump itself while keeping the effect of starting a jump, such as the effect of the jump cancelling the shield instead of waiting for it to drop. Only certain moves will cancel the jump though. It might help if you read everything first; you'll probably find that a lot of these questions will be answered for you already.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
XD

Read up son.

But seriously, you just enter the appropriate input immediately after pressing jump and this cancels the actual jump itself while keeping the effect of starting a jump, such as the effect of the jump cancelling the shield instead of waiting for it to drop. Only certain moves will cancel the jump though. It might help if you read everything first; you'll probably find that a lot of these questions will be answered for you already.
so is that just a fancy way of saying rising nair or something like that

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
um, no...

hmm.
like, there is no actual 'jump'. So how could there be a Nair, or a ‘rise’ for that matter. The 'jump' is cancelled. It doesn't actually happen.
Ok, so an easier example would be the JC throw. (This is all stuff you could just read btw XD), you run, you press the jump button, but before Toon actually jumps, you hit the c-stick (for example's sake) in the opposite direction of your run. Performed correctly, you just run, slide a little and throw the bomb backwards (no 'jump'). But, if you try this without the jump input, Toon will simply run and throw the bomb forwards (even though you c-sticked backwards). You see? It’s using the start effect of the jump, and then cancelling it another move. = jump cancelling.
No jumps here.
I'm really not sure what else I can say man XD. Just mess around with it. You'll figure it out.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
Ok, I got it. I asked the question because i didn't want to search through all the posts just to find what i needed.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
What do you think toon links best and worst stage is? I've been playing him for about 2 weeks now but idk what stages are better or worse for him.
Also when you are playing somebody that is hiding in shield or never approaching when you are behind a stock/ percent what are some good ways to approach without being too risky?

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
Best and worse stages are mostly contingent on who you are playing, but generally fd is good for tl. There is a stage match up link in the 'tl useful thread link,' there are a lot of good links there.

As for non risky ways to approach...I guess run up and retreat nair, zair, using a bomb to pressure on the way in...hopefully somebody else has some better answers

Top Bottom