• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many Pokemon?

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
Really I just wanted to show off this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u5KAZ-na_8
because it's pretty hilarious and I thought you guys might enjoy it. But I figured, why not make a discussion out of it? This guy actually brings up a pretty good point. So do you guys think the smash brothers franchise is oversaturated with pokemon? Is it particularly fair to other franchise with less reps?

P.S. BOnus vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRtuum-xng

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
I can't see the vids (personal problem, don't worry about it), but I'd have to say that I don't really see a problem with it. Pokemon is probably Nintendo's most expanded (media-form wise) series. Only Mario beats it, really, and Mario doesn't have as many unique characters as Pokemon does.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I see no point in jigglypuf but no , the rest of the pokes are super cool...the game is oversaturated with mario chars that never did any actual fighting in their respective games since they're mainly platformers....while the pokemon that are in have like 20 different attacks in their games.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
there are almost too many of them, if you count PT, that is 3 right there. so in total, there are 6 pokemon you can use...more than any other series, pokemon is big but not bigger than mario, come on now!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not enough Pokemon, lack of Porygon-Z is disturbing...but I can live...

Lack of Mewtwo furthers the wound

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
Oh, oops, that's what I get for not watching the vids.

Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard (6)
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser (4) + Yoshi, Wario (6)

Even, actually. Yoshi and Wario are still part of the Mario-verse, even if they get their own symbols. If you want me to, I can push the envelope and add Donkey Kong to Mario's side.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Lack of any of the uber dragons or Ttar is what kills me.

If they wanted a cutish poke they could add mew...he's cutsey and kicks major ***...i still don't get WHY jigglypuf....i mean pikachu may not be the best poke but it's the mascot so fine...i don't even dislike it...but why that red balloon fart? >.<

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
I LMAO at that video. Some people will probably hate it, but I'm sorry I thought it was hilarious. And I love Pokemon.

tral

Smash Cadet
I'm sure it seemed funny at the time. However, he just sounded like a drunken idiot to me.

**** **** ***** **** CHENEY LOLOLOL!

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
zomgeez too many ShyGuys! Racing on Mario Circuit and flying around on Yoshi's Island! ;_;
Pokémon are a pretty big point in SSB ever since. But they're affecting the game in a cool way. Since Pokémon came out of Saffron City's tower on SSB64, it was something that made the game much more interesting. SSBM then showed even more and more powerful Pokémon, also to play with [Mewtwo, Pichu].

Don't you think, that Pokémon kinda fit right into this sort of fighting game?

startoonhero

Smash Apprentice
the only reason y theres too much pokemon representation, is becuz its one of nintendos biggest franchise right next to mario, who i may add, also has alot of representation in smash bros also.

TBL_Luis

Smash Apprentice
Lack of any of the uber dragons or Ttar is what kills me.

If they wanted a cutish poke they could add mew...he's cutsey and kicks major ***...i still don't get WHY jigglypuf....i mean pikachu may not be the best poke but it's the mascot so fine...i don't even dislike it...but why that red balloon fart? >.<
because Jiggs is popular in Japan, this game was made for Japan by Japanese people, hense what is popular over there gets in

Heegu

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to watch the video of a person who says f*ck every 2 seconds.

peytar

Smash Journeyman
A place where no one cares about brawl but me
I see no point in jigglypuf but no , the rest of the pokes are super cool...the game is oversaturated with mario chars that never did any actual fighting in their respective games since they're mainly platformers....while the pokemon that are in have like 20 different attacks in their games.
The mario fanchise has just as much as link and pokemon and they have about the same amount of stages

The dude in the vid is hilarious, but he cusses too much and seems pretty stupid

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
I liked that video reminded me of a friend! There are quite a lot of pokemon but oh well.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
repwise, pokemon deserves all of its characters. it is nintendo's highest grossing franchise after all and its retained (for the most part) popularity in *** and usa.

if u wanna ***** and moan about char representation, complain that the starfox franchise (a lower tier nintendo franchise imo) got 3 reps

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet
Lucario is OU, Charizard and (IIRC) Pikachu are BL. Competitive-worthy.

Jiggs is a stample to the series. It's not going away.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Stample, lolz (thought it was funny)

Those vids are funny and informative, they really tell you alot about the stages.

6 pokes in enough.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario each received 4 reps. Though if you're not just talking about characters, are you saying 3 stages, 4 characters, and an item with a host of creatures from the franchise is too much....?

MMM battle on high items pokeballs only.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
As big as the franchise is, I think it has a fair amount of representation. Jigglypuff is the only one who I believe doesn't really deserve the spot as far as Pokemon go, but as for Smash, that's a totally different story. She's more of a staple for Smash now.

The only series under-represented in my personal opinion is Metroid, but most other series are represented pretty well, Pokemon included.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Lol at people being offended by a guy who curses a lot. Also, the humor isn't necessarily in the cursing, it's in the whole package. (IE, him being drunk and making nonsensical references to things like "the turd Pokemon family" and **** Cheney becoming a Pokemon, as well as cursing.)

F****** Pokemon.

Edit: Lol I can't say Cheney's first name!

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
not really there's only 4 character slots taken up by pokemon and there are other franchises that have 4 so it's not to bad.

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
if you ask me they have to many weak pokemon and not enough of the great pokemon. I think they should also get rid of Yoshi and jigglypuff. If you ask me they need more Sonic charecters like shadow and tails. they also need some characters from Wii games like someone from Bleach or the new fire emblem for Wii

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
if you ask me they have to many weak pokemon and not enough of the great pokemon. I think they should also get rid of Yoshi and jigglypuff. If you ask me they need more Sonic charecters like shadow and tails. they also need some characters from Wii games like someone from Bleach or the new fire emblem for Wii
They don't need any more Sonic characters. If they did it would be Knuckles. Maybe Tails. But no WAY would it be Shadow.

FE for the Wii characters = I agree.

Bleach. Yeah. Bleach is an anime. YES, they are games. But they're based on an Anime. So NO. GOD NO.

errtu

Smash Apprentice
yes too many pokemon in the game, but what u gonna do man? i guess they are really popular...

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
They don't need any more Sonic characters. If they did it would be Knuckles. Maybe Tails. But no WAY would it be Shadow.

FE for the Wii characters = I agree.

Bleach. Yeah. Bleach is an anime. YES, they are games. But they're based on an Anime. So NO. GOD NO.
Pokemon is anime too >.>.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What the ****?

Top Bottom