• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too late to start playing Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Melee is the only viable game to pick up. Sm4sh will have a few good years before everyone realizes it's literally brawl without metaknight (still a garbage game). We got hit hard when brawl came out, but the community pushed forward and survived. We have more experience this time around so we'll be fine.
nah

it aint brawl 2.0

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
It's not to late to join, ssb4 is said to be in between the speed of melee and brawl so melee will live on, don't worry, melee won't die for quite a while, it's actually in one of the best positions it's ever been, MLG, Evo, the documentary, more spectators, sponsors, etc.

Rayvalk

Smash Rookie
It's never too late, but if you want to reach a decent/good level you gonna need atleast one year of training and playing with people who plays since a lot of years.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
>demo

Totally impossible to change mechanics and other things from an old demo to current build
This sentiment is funny to me. Does Nintendo have a single reason to change it from brawl 2.0 build to anything else? Did you watch the 3ds tourney? Nothing really changed from that build to the one they used earlier with the Invitational.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This sentiment is funny to me. Does Nintendo have a single reason to change it from brawl 2.0 build to anything else? Did you watch the 3ds tourney? Nothing really changed from that build to the one they used earlier with the Invitational.
That's because they didn't recompile it from the Best Buy demo.

Look, the pre-release Brawl demos used Melee's engine, and that was changed for the final release.

Also: The Best Buy/E3 SSB4 build has already been shown to support combos, have higher hitstun, and reduced landing lag depending on the attack, which already makes it superior to Brawl. So shut up, give it a chance, and don't spoil it for people who actually have some hope that Sakurai might not be that stupid after all.

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
That's because they didn't recompile it from the Best Buy demo.

Look, the pre-release Brawl demos used Melee's engine, and that was changed for the final release.

Also: The Best Buy/E3 SSB4 build has already been shown to support combos, have higher hitstun, and reduced landing lag depending on the attack, which already makes it superior to Brawl. So shut up, give it a chance, and don't spoil it for people who actually have some hope that Sakurai might not be that stupid after all.
Did you miss the part where I said I played the Best Buy demo? It is an awful game. Being superior to brawl is not really a hard thing to do. This topic was asking if Melee was worth picking up and I gave him an honest answer. You're the one being naive for hoping that Sakurai isn't stupid.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Did you miss the part where I said I played the Best Buy demo? It is an awful game. Being superior to brawl is not really a hard thing to do. This topic was asking if Melee was worth picking up and I gave him an honest answer. You're the one being naive for hoping that Sakurai isn't stupid.
again

>demo

demos change. sm4sh is going to be better than brawl, even if that is easy. it will be fun, and a couple sour opinions such as yours isnt going to stop the hype train.

Its pretty funny reading all these posts about people having "hope" for sm4sh. Ayy lmaooo its going to suck just like Brawl. The melee scene already had to deal with this "hope" crap in 2008, we know better now. The only people who are excited for Sm4sh are 12 year old kids and Brawl fedoras who cant wait to jump ship to their new balloon fighting game.
ahhh yes, sm4sh is being sold exclusively to 12 year olds. 13? nah, you wont like it. 14? even less. and it just gets worse and worse every year you get older.

oh, but of course, if you like brawl, you are guaranteed to like it , but you have to wear fedoras. no fedora and you wont like it.

seriously, dont make generalizations, especially stupid as **** ones.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This is exactly the kind of bull**** that makes me embarrassed to be a competitive player.

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
It's never too late to start playing melee! Melee is love, melee is life.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
again

>demo

demos change. sm4sh is going to be better than brawl, even if that is easy. it will be fun, and a couple sour opinions such as yours isnt going to stop the hype train.
Because it makes complete sense to showcase literal ass to the general public and then come out with a good game.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
On a similar note, how is the dolphin wifi for competitive play? I'm sure it's not as good as live consoles, but can you practice on there and get decent?

I used to play semi competitively, but was always lazy with tech skill. I found myself practicing USF4 combos the other day and realized melee is probably easier to learn and more fun. I moved away from all my friends who play, and I had a bad experience going to a random smashfest near me. I hadn't played in 4 years, so I wasn't that good anymore. Even though we were playing winner plays on and I never won, as the night went on they still felt the need to skip my patiently awaited turn repeatedly and pretend I wasn't there just because I was rusty and not that good. I'd like to get decent so I don't have to go through that ever again. Maybe I can beat those jerks in a tourney one day if I work hard.

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Because it makes complete sense to showcase literal *** to the general public and then come out with a good game.
Look at the brawl demo. It was similar to melee, and was great. But look at what we have today. I suspect it will be the opposite of that with sm4sh. We got a brawl-like demo, so I think we will get a good game when sm4sh releases.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Look at the brawl demo. It was similar to melee, and was great. But look at what we have today. I suspect it will be the opposite of that with sm4sh. We got a brawl-like demo, so I think we will get a good game when sm4sh releases.
So you're basically saying that Sakurai is the biggest troll in the world and that we should never trust his demos? Well that's that, no way to tell what will happen except that if it's like last time then it will be completely different and Bowser will be garbage again and it's all the Nintendo event tourney players' faults for spamming him. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU DID TO BOWSER.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Lol.

Why is it so hard to accept that the game is doomed? Sakurai has no intention of creating a competitive game.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm just mostly wondering what you'll wind up doing on the off-chance that it succeeds. I mean, just what if.

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Its because he still doesnt understand that nintendo never cared about us, and never will. Many of the melee players who played sm4sh have already stated it is basically brawl 2.0.
Think of it this way Crazc bro. Many of us melee players dont even like PM even though it is as close to melee as the Brawl engine can get. Now we know Sm4sh is running on this same engine except with not only all of Brawls flaws (cept tripping, but that was only 1 of the thousands of problems) but with even less control of characters.
Yes it sucks that the new smashes will never be good but who cares? We still have melee, and the reason many of is melee players play melee is not because its "smash" but because it is a good game.
>many of us melee players dont like pm

false. a LOT of melee players like pm. probably more melee players like it than ones that don't.

>sm4sh is running on the same engine

um, no. sm4sh has been confirmed to have a new engine. you can ask anyone but your "many melee players" if sm4sh felt different compared to the other games. you fall of ledges different, pivots have actually been given some attention other than being able to jump backwards with momentum (looking at brawl here). just because it isnt a melee clone doesnt mean its a brawl clone.

it doesnt matter if nintendo doesnt care about us (they do tho), sakurai still wants to make a good game, even if its not competitive. it will be fun. and if you cant get off your melee ass to recognize that and at least play sm4sh (final version, not your demo opinion), you dont deserve to be able to rant on it.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Its pretty funny reading all these posts about people having "hope" for sm4sh. Ayy lmaooo its going to suck just like Brawl. The melee scene already had to deal with this "hope" crap in 2008, we know better now. The only people who are excited for Sm4sh are 12 year old kids and Brawl fedoras who cant wait to jump ship to their new balloon fighting game.
... Wow. It's funny how you say only 12 year old kids are excited for the game, because the Smash 4 discussion boards are actually one of the most popular. You can't say it'll wind up like Brawl to a game that's not even out yet and you're one of the only people I've come across who are not even the slightest excited for Sm4sh.
Posting on a little kid videogame website doesnt make you competitive kek. Link me to some videos of you playing please, I want to see these 2014ers playing competitive melee.
*Posts on a "little kid videogame website" himself*
On a similar note, how is the dolphin wifi for competitive play? I'm sure it's not as good as live consoles, but can you practice on there and get decent?

I used to play semi competitively, but was always lazy with tech skill. I found myself practicing USF4 combos the other day and realized melee is probably easier to learn and more fun. I moved away from all my friends who play, and I had a bad experience going to a random smashfest near me. I hadn't played in 4 years, so I wasn't that good anymore. Even though we were playing winner plays on and I never won, as the night went on they still felt the need to skip my patiently awaited turn repeatedly and pretend I wasn't there just because I was rusty and not that good. I'd like to get decent so I don't have to go through that ever again. Maybe I can beat those jerks in a tourney one day if I work hard.
Yeah, you can get amazing with Dolphin! Of course the original Gamecube version is better, but Dolphin allows you to play in even higher quality and no lag (depending on your computer) :) That's sad to hear :( Just practise all the time and find them again to destroy them and pretend they're not there :p

Last edited:

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
omg I managed to accidentally double post again :(

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Melee is the only viable game to pick up. Sm4sh will have a few good years before everyone realizes it's literally brawl without metaknight (still a garbage game). We got hit hard when brawl came out, but the community pushed forward and survived. We have more experience this time around so we'll be fine.
Fox main too biased. Your second sentence is objectively factually incorrect, but I'm not going to point out how it is wrong regardless of how right you think you are, because that would be too easy [you'll probably edit your post if you realize the mistake]. I disagree with other parts of it, but noting that it's objectively wrong (and it's an issue of content, not of grammar or capitalization or some random crap like that) is more fun for now than actually arguing with it [if it gets fixed I might take the time to post what I take issue with, not just what's wrong no matter how you look at it - though others have done that already].

Your first statement is also probably incorrect (I think Smash 64's longevity is enough to shoot it down, but that's subjective). I agree with the last two sentences of your post, though.

-ShadowPhoenix- said:
Not true, Melee wasn't :awesome:

On a note you'll take seriously (I enjoy both, I usually don't rank them), Brawl is a solid game, and there are plenty of terrible games out there - you ever hear of Project M?:awesome::awesome::awesome:

Actually being serious (yes for real this time), your Brawl hate is overdone - it's a good game, you just don't appreciate what's there.

... Wow. It's funny how you say only 12 year old kids are excited for the game, because the Smash 4 discussion boards are actually one of the most popular. You can't say it'll wind up like Brawl to a game that's not even out yet and you're one of the only people I've come across who are not even the slightest excited for Sm4sh.

*Posts on a "little kid videogame website" himself*

Yeah, you can get amazing with Dolphin! Of course the original Gamecube version is better, but Dolphin allows you to play in even higher quality and no lag (depending on your computer) :) That's sad to hear :( Just practise all the time and find them again to destroy them and pretend they're not there :p
This person is smart. *follows*

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
On a note you'll take seriously (I enjoy both, I usually don't rank them), Brawl is a solid game, and there are plenty of terrible games out there - you ever hear of Project M?:awesome::awesome::awesome:

Actually being serious (yes for real this time), your Brawl hate is overdone - it's a good game, you just don't appreciate what's there.
Are you seriously criticizing PM when you enjoy the worst smash game in the franchise? Yes, PM has it's flaws and I think it's not really good, but I'd rather play PM for the rest of my life than play brawl for 1 stock. It's a bad game. You're wrong and bad.

Thor

Smash Champion
Are you seriously criticizing PM when you enjoy the worst smash game in the franchise? Yes, PM has it's flaws and I think it's not really good, but I'd rather play PM for the rest of my life than play brawl for 1 stock. It's a bad game. You're wrong and bad.
No you just don't understand sarcasm, even when I lampshade it. You're wrong and terrible, but since you don't understand sarcasm I'd be wasting my time to explain why, as that would fly over your head too.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
De gustibus non est disputandum. "Taste is not to be disputed."

There are people that enjoy Brawl and there are people that enjoy Melee. Competitive players generally don't hold Brawl in high regard. Outside of the competitive niche, however, Brawl is widely considered to be the superior game. Simply because someone likes a game that you do not does not mean that person is wrong -- and it certainly does not mean the game is bad. All it means is that their tastes differ from yours. No amount of arguing is ever going to change that.

Now, to answer OP's question, Melee certainly isn't going away. It may even get a VC re-release on the Wii U, so it's definitely not too late to start. I also have a feeling that Smash 4 will have some staying power as well, so you should definitely give it a shot.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575

There are people that enjoy Brawl and there are people that enjoy Melee. Competitive players generally don't hold Brawl in high regard. Outside of the competitive niche, however, Brawl is widely considered to be the superior game. Simply because someone likes a game that you do not does not mean that person is wrong -- and it certainly does not mean the game is bad. All it means is that their tastes differ from yours. No amount of arguing is ever going to change that.

Now, to answer OP's question, Melee certainly isn't going away. It may even get a VC re-release on the Wii U, so it's definitely not too late to start. I also have a feeling that Smash 4 will have some staying power as well, so you should definitely give it a shot.
This is not dealing with taste, good sir. Brawl is objectively inferior to Melee. It is known.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
This is not dealing with taste, good sir. Brawl is objectively inferior to Melee. It is known.
Yes, it most certainly does deal with taste. It depends on what you are looking for in the game. If you're looking for a deep, rich competitive experience, I would recommend Melee. If you're just looking to sit back and have fun, crazy free for alls with your friends, then I would recommend Brawl. Remember, the competitive community represents only a small fraction of Smash Bros. players. Most of the people who play these games just want to duke it out with their friends as their favorite Nintendo characters. Games do not have to be competitive to objectively be good. Look at games such as Mario Kart or Mario Party. Just for funsies, but still a blast to play.

oKevy

Smash Rookie
I believe melee will be the main game people play in the smash community. So no i believe its not too late

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Yes, it most certainly does deal with taste. It depends on what you are looking for in the game. If you're looking for a deep, rich competitive experience, I would recommend Melee. If you're just looking to sit back and have fun, crazy free for alls with your friends, then I would recommend Brawl. Remember, the competitive community represents only a small fraction of Smash Bros. players. Most of the people who play these games just want to duke it out with their friends as their favorite Nintendo characters. Games do not have to be competitive to objectively be good. Look at games such as Mario Kart or Mario Party. Just for funsies, but still a blast to play.
We are on Smashboards, though. Most of the userbase here is at least aware of the competitive community (especially the melee and 64 boards). OP was asking if it wasn't too late to start playing it and it's not. Melee will most likely always remain as the game for competitive play.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Ooh, I thought you meant it is too late :p
It's literally never too late to start playing Melee. I started playing a little more than 3 months ago (ignore my join date, i didnt even get a controller until at least May), and I'm already catching up to a lot of people near me who have been playing competitively for years. Given, I practice about 40 hours a week, but I'm also just generally bad at fighting games (and I want to be a top level competitor, this is nowhere near required for the average tournament-goer). If you like the games, play them. If you want to compete in bigger stuff, practice more. It's always worth it.

You will get out of Melee (or Project M, or 64, or SM4SH, or Brawl for that matter) what you put into it a hundred fold. Good times, friends, people I love like family (and that's just after a few months). I love this game, I will play it as long as my hands will let me (Fox pls) and I don't ever EVER want to see anyone think it's too late to start playing. Ten more years.

And never apologize for someone else's folly. It's important sometimes to remember that everyone in the Smash community is family, but family can be rude sometimes too. Know what YOU love, not what someone else does, and you spend your time doing that thing. But respect what they love all the same. Hope to see you at a tournament some day :D

No, it's never too late for Melee. I only started 3 months ago.
THIS MAN KNOWS. we're practically smash twins, hahaha. just not identical ones.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion

For what it's worth, I've entered multiple different tournaments. I like both games. Just gonna clear that up now.

And I started about a year ago now (working on actually playing the game, instead of just beating up casuals at the lunch table - learning the game and trying to implement it in real matches). So no it's not too late, if I didn't already say that.

pelotaz0

Smash Cadet
Never is too late, if you like the game and you can play with someone by netplay or face to face then do it.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
It's literally never too late to start playing Melee. I started playing a little more than 3 months ago (ignore my join date, i didnt even get a controller until at least May), and I'm already catching up to a lot of people near me who have been playing competitively for years. Given, I practice about 40 hours a week, but I'm also just generally bad at fighting games (and I want to be a top level competitor, this is nowhere near required for the average tournament-goer). If you like the games, play them. If you want to compete in bigger stuff, practice more. It's always worth it.

You will get out of Melee (or Project M, or 64, or SM4SH, or Brawl for that matter) what you put into it a hundred fold. Good times, friends, people I love like family (and that's just after a few months). I love this game, I will play it as long as my hands will let me (Fox pls) and I don't ever EVER want to see anyone think it's too late to start playing. Ten more years.

And never apologize for someone else's folly. It's important sometimes to remember that everyone in the Smash community is family, but family can be rude sometimes too. Know what YOU love, not what someone else does, and you spend your time doing that thing. But respect what they love all the same. Hope to see you at a tournament some day :D

THIS MAN KNOWS. we're practically smash twins, hahaha. just not identical ones.
You too! :D I wonder how long it will take for me to play at a competitive level.

JudgeCheerio

Smash Rookie
#Swagalopolis AKA City of Hella-down Brown Homies
I can't make a judgement call regarding what will be the main ssb in a few years, but as UKZ has pointed out ssbWiiU will be the main game for a fat-azz period of time, just because of the nature of competitive gaming. The question that matters to you though is which game will give you the satisfaction of knowing that your'e going in there and competing in the most fulfilling and rewarding game you can possibly play. If the answer is melee, then don't hesitate any longer; get dafugg in there and phuk chit up.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I'll play both melee and smash 4, but the community around me will stick to melee mostly. Most of them aren't interested in the new smash game and won't buy or try it. Also there's only 1 guy out of the 60-70 of us who cares about project M. If I had to say the next game to join the brawl and n64 status could me project M if the fans don't put some work.

Thor

Smash Champion
You are factually incorrect. And your blatantly inaccurate use of the word "objectively" prompts me to reach for a dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/objective

not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased.

You must make a normative statement to quantify something as better than something else. Brawl has slower fall speeds, but you must make a value judgment to claim that it is better. Brawl has fewer [not none, but fewer] combos that melee, and more airdodge reads are required. Brawl has different, often more specific tech skill (DACUS, Bowser's grab release regrabs, certain other grab releases and CGs, jab cancelling is in both but has fewer options to counter it because CCing is not in vBrawl), and there are positives and negatives. No more L-cancelling removes a tech skill barrier that kept some from playing the game. I will make normative statements of my own and defend Brawl if you continue to use unequivocally incorrect English, but I think I've made my point using positive statements without adding my own opinions.

For what it's worth, I think all 3 smash games are great games for competitive and casual play , and there are more mods than just Project M [but also Project M] that offer a solid foundation for both types of play as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom