• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too late to start playing Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Hey! I haven't played any Smash games but I'm hoping to get SSB4 for 3DS to play competitively. I'm thinking about playing competitive Melee on Dolphin netplay, but with the new games around the corner, is it too late?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
In my opinion, when Smash 4 is released, everyone will play it for a while. Then, depending on how deep the game is, people will gradually go back to playing exclusive Melee or a combination of both Melee and new Smash. Regardless, I think that Melee will be off the radar for a bit when December hits. Melee will still remain a strong community, but it will be on a hiatus for a bit.

Melee is an amazing game (in all of my searching, I've never come across a game with more competitive depth while still remaining enjoyable to play for years and years). But you need to understand that it takes a while to get good at Melee. If you are motivated enough, your skill will grow rapidly though.

Last edited:

Zone

Smash Champion
Too many variables that are changed this time around to use what brawl did to melee briefly, as a reliable source for forecasting the future.

I'd argue this time smash4 will have even less of an impact than brawl did assuming, what E3 had was what were expecting.

We learned our lesson this time. I'll be skipping smash4 as well as like 30+ people in my community.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Uh, it's never too late to learn Melee haha. It's a solid game that's aged incredibly well, and chances are you'll able to find someone who likes to play it competitively, especially if you're going the Netplay route!!

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Nah man, it's never too late to start playing Melee. Just practice at it, and don't be afraid to lose because losing will help you learn and get better. Play for the love of the game hahaha and just have fun :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you're on Netplay then you are definitely not too late. You'll find plenty of people to play on there. Good luck with it :D

Last edited:

cemo

white walker
If you can learn solid fundamentals, those transfer from game to game pretty easily. I would say go for it, what do you have to lose?

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
If you can learn solid fundamentals, those transfer from game to game pretty easily. I would say go for it, what do you have to lose?
Very true. You should be able to transition well between all games once you get down the fundamentals.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Zone is right. I doubt Smash 4 will have any real impact on Melee, but there's too many variables to tell tbh. Either way, it's never too late to start. I only started two months ago, but I'm putting in about 30-40 hours of practice a week (usually more) and going to a tournament a weekend and I'm progressing very rapidly according to some of my travel/training partners who have been playing for a while. One thing that's awesome about this game... practicing it rarely ever feels like work. Especially if you're playing "your" character.

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
The melee scene is so big now that I don't think it's going away even if smash 4 ends up being better in every way. I'd say try melee and see if it appeals to you, it's a lot of advanced techs and practice to get good.

In short, you'll always have people to play with so go ahead and try it.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Zone is right. I doubt Smash 4 will have any real impact on Melee, but there's too many variables to tell tbh. Either way, it's never too late to start. I only started two months ago, but I'm putting in about 30-40 hours of practice a week (usually more) and going to a tournament a weekend and I'm progressing very rapidly according to some of my travel/training partners who have been playing for a while. One thing that's awesome about this game... practicing it rarely ever feels like work. Especially if you're playing "your" character.
This ^
Plus, when your practice starts paying off, the game all of a sudden gets WAY more fun. I would reccomend spending your time at first learning your characters movement, then their combos. Once you have that down start grinding your tech skill, which honestly shouldnt take very long. It can be frustrating, but if you get too frustrated just take a break and come back to it in a few minutes and try again. Learn your techs one at a time as well. When you get one down, then practice using that tech in combat. Once you find out how to effectively utilize it (wavedashing was tough for me to figure out how to use effectively for a bit), then move onto the next one and do the same thing. Eventually you'll notice MAJOR skill increases :)

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
...Yup.

10 char
In my opinion, when Smash 4 is released, everyone will play it for a while. Then, depending on how deep the game is, people will gradually go back to playing exclusive Melee or a combination of both Melee and new Smash. Regardless, I think that Melee will be off the radar for a bit when December hits. Melee will still remain a strong community, but it will be on a hiatus for a bit.

Melee is an amazing game (in all of my searching, I've never come across a game with more competitive depth while still remaining enjoyable to play for years and years). But you need to understand that it takes a while to get good at Melee. If you are motivated enough, your skill will grow rapidly though.
I agree and understand that it takes a while, but I'm willing to spend the time!

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Nah man, it's never too late to start playing Melee. Just practice at it, and don't be afraid to lose because losing will help you learn and get better. Play for the love of the game hahaha and just have fun :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you're on Netplay then you are definitely not too late. You'll find plenty of people to play on there. Good luck with it :D
Thanks! :)

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
I would like to play both at a competitive level but I'm only starting now because I was pretty young when it came out :p

EDIT: Woops sorry for triple posting

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I would like to play both at a competitive level but I'm only starting now because I was pretty young when it came out :p

EDIT: Woops sorry for triple posting
As was I. I've only been playing competitively for like 4 months or so. Give or take. If you've got the drive to get better, it's definitely possible. The hardest part is learning techs and implementing them. But it's all practice, practice, practice!

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
As was I. I've only been playing competitively for like 4 months or so. Give or take. If you've got the drive to get better, it's definitely possible. The hardest part is learning techs and implementing them. But it's all practice, practice, practice!
I'll try my best to get better!

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
That's the spirit! :D
The problem is, I've never even touched a Gamecube controller :p Wouldn't that put me at a disadvantage because I'm using my keyboard?

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
The problem is, I've never even touched a Gamecube controller :p Wouldn't that put me at a disadvantage because I'm using my keyboard?
Ahh well that could be a problem. I'm pretty sure that you can get GameCube controllers and PC
adapters on the Smashboards store. That, or maybe you can use a PS3 or Xbox controller and try using that.
I'm not sure what to say otherwise D:

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
it's never too late, and definitely go get yourself a gamecube controller

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
it's never too late, and definitely go get yourself a gamecube controller
Ahh well that could be a problem. I'm pretty sure that you can get GameCube controllers and PC
adapters on the Smashboards store. That, or maybe you can use a PS3 or Xbox controller and try using that.
I'm not sure what to say otherwise D:
It doesn't matter because my computer is too bad to run SSBM on Dolphin because my CPU is outdated :(

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hey! I haven't played any Smash games but I'm hoping to get SSB4 for 3DS to play competitively. I'm thinking about playing competitive Melee on Dolphin netplay, but with the new games around the corner, is it too late?
Play it as well and decide what you prefer.

You like Melee style go for it, prefer smash 4 go for it? Do both and find out what you truly want.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
My advice is to not play a game you don't enjoy. Don't play it because it's the newest iteration of the game. It doesn't mean you have to play it. I mean, try out smash 4. You might like it. If you don't, try out another smash game.

By the way, I find it incredibly hard to believe you haven't played any smash game. You found smashboards, are interested in SSB4, and your avatar is a screen shot of Smash 64? How is someone a fan of smash when they haven't played it? lol

Last edited:

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
I'd definitely take up Melee, if only for acquiring some fundamentals about the game before SSB4 comes out. If it turns out you don't like SSB4, you can always go back to Melee. Also, I'm not sure how competitively viable SSB4 on the 3DS will be, or whether it will have a competitive scene at all, so if you have no intention of playing the WiiU version, Melee is probably your best bet over SSB4 3DS.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Awe man that's disappointing. Do you have a Wii or GameCube?
If you had a Wii you could get ahold of Brawl and get Project M
Nah, I have a 3DS only :(
My advice is to not play a game you don't enjoy. Don't play it because it's the newest iteration of the game. It doesn't mean you have to play it. I mean, try out smash 4. You might like it. If you don't, try out another smash game.

By the way, I find it incredibly hard to believe you haven't played any smash game. You found smashboards, are interested in SSB4, and your avatar is a screen shot of Smash 64? How is someone a fan of smash when they haven't played it? lol
And? I enjoy watching Smash all the time, and I'm watching Zenith. I don't own a Gamecube or Wii, so there's no way I can try it out until Smash 4 comes out. I've tried out SSF2, which I love, so I think it's safe to assume I like the game. And by the way, I can choose whatever avatar I want.

I'd definitely take up Melee, if only for acquiring some fundamentals about the game before SSB4 comes out. If it turns out you don't like SSB4, you can always go back to Melee. Also, I'm not sure how competitively viable SSB4 on the 3DS will be, or whether it will have a competitive scene at all, so if you have no intention of playing the WiiU version, Melee is probably your best bet over SSB4 3DS.
SSB4 3DS will have a huge competitive scene imo, maybe even on par with Wii U.
Play it as well and decide what you prefer.

You like Melee style go for it, prefer smash 4 go for it? Do both and find out what you truly want.
When I get a better computer or a Gamecube, I'll test out melee :)

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
If you have a classic game store or something close to you, sometimes you can get game systems relatively cheap. I got a basically new Wii console (just the console) for $30, but the full setup was like $55. I'm not sure if you've got money for that, but if you do, you might be able to get ahold of one of the consoles so you can start playing Smash.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
If you have a classic game store or something close to you, sometimes you can get game systems relatively cheap. I got a basically new Wii console (just the console) for $30, but the full setup was like $55. I'm not sure if you've got money for that, but if you do, you might be able to get ahold of one of the consoles so you can start playing Smash.
Oh yeah, I do have a classic game store near me :p Hopefully I can get that for cheap :D

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
I like your confidence. If SSB4 3DS does turn out to have a huge competitive scene, be sure to tell me you told me so, and I shall promptly join you in playing Smash every waking moment of my life thanks to the 3DS' portability.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
I like your confidence. If SSB4 3DS does turn out to have a huge competitive scene, be sure to tell me you told me so, and I shall promptly join you in playing Smash every waking moment of my life thanks to the 3DS' portability.
Haha :)

shapular

Smash Ace
Yeah, it is. Melee has maybe 3-4 months left in its lifespan and everybody else has been playing for like 10 years so it'll take longer than that to catch up. You should stick to playing Brawl on wifi. You won't have the ridiculous technical barrier to overcome (a lot of that stuff is long gone anyway) but it'll force you to play smarter than Melee will, which will help you out in Smash 4. And besides, probably no one on this board wants to admit it but Brawl is better anyway.

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it is. Melee has maybe 3-4 months left in its lifespan and everybody else has been playing for like 10 years so it'll take longer than that to catch up. You should stick to playing Brawl on wifi. You won't have the ridiculous technical barrier to overcome (a lot of that stuff is long gone anyway) but it'll force you to play smarter than Melee will, which will help you out in Smash 4. And besides, probably no one on this board wants to admit it but Brawl is better anyway.
Here's a useful link for everybody who was just subjected to that: http://smashboards.com/members/shapular.17230/ignore

Skrlx

Smash Champion
And? I enjoy watching Smash all the time, and I'm watching Zenith. I don't own a Gamecube or Wii, so there's no way I can try it out until Smash 4 comes out. I've tried out SSF2, which I love, so I think it's safe to assume I like the game. And by the way, I can choose whatever avatar I want.
The latter portion of my post was said in jest <_< No need to get defensive. lol

TheSilentAmp

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSilentAmp
3DS FC
1246-9215-5468
In my opinion, no. As someone who played Melee casually for YEARS, COMPLETELY unaware of the competitive scene, I can still see a lot of life in it. I know I sure as hell will keep playing, and so will my friend, and his friend, and their friends, etc.

The point is: I don't think Melee is done yet. It's got quite a lifespan because it is such an amazing game and it has so much depth while also being simplistic. And that kind of stuff lasts for ages.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm saying this as someone who will probably be primarily a SSB4 player (if the problems evident in the demo are actually fixed); there will always be a Melee community.

Just like there's still a thriving community for Marvel 2 (14 years old, 1 more than Melee) and Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Exactly 20 years old, 7 years more than Melee).

When I get a better computer or a Gamecube, I'll test out melee :)
...wait, you're an SSF2 player? I'm a competitive SSF2 player, so I can tell you that I think SSB4 will likely be a comfortable choice for you as well due to having the same goals of striking a balance between all games. If they fix the problems.

So 4, Melee, even SSF2, either community you want to try out, go for it.

By the way, used Wiis are pretty cheap ($40-60). Melee, though... Not so much ($70+). Used copies of Brawl are REALLY cheap, though ($15-30), and by extension, P:M.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Obvious troll attempt. @ supahVGC supahVGC no it isn't too late. Melee still has years from what I can tell. Besides, the tech skill isn't anything to worry about. I've only been playing Melee competitively since late December, and I'm already considered to be one of the most technical spacie players in my region. If you have the work ethic, you can achieve it.

shapular

Smash Ace
Obvious troll attempt. @ supahVGC supahVGC no it isn't too late. Melee still has years from what I can tell. Besides, the tech skill isn't anything to worry about. I've only been playing Melee competitively since late December, and I'm already considered to be one of the most technical spacie players in my region. If you have the work ethic, you can achieve it.
Wow, so telling the truth is trolling on this board. Okay, maybe the last sentence was opinion-based, but if you think the rest isn't true you're just kidding yourself. Also, one of the most technical spacies... in Utah? Is that supposed to be an accomplishment? In that case, I should brag about being one of the best Melee Jigglypuffs in Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom