• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

toasty and Wiggles present: Bel Gusto's Presents: SoVa's (other) First Brawl Tourney!

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
No doubt... I know it will be, its always fun just doing friendlies at ODU.
Trying to figure out which of these three I should main...
Marth, Lucas, Ike...
for the tourney.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
True True... but he is probably the worst of the three for me. Marth goes from Melee to Brawl for me and Lucus feels much like a Marth of Ness in that he is similar to Ness, but faster and easier to use.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
If youre comfortable with three why not use them all?
the tourney is best 2 out of 3 and winners is 3 out of 5. Just get your best matchups. Like Marth is prolly better against projectile users than Ike because his swipes can cancel them out.

and if all else fails use Captain and jigs

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Don't joke Jiggs... he is my 6th... Falco is my 4th, and G&W is my 5th. And he isn't my main because of how much he was nerfed... else he would be.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
I have a few important questions not specified in the rules:

What if our "coaches" wear headsets?

What if the power goes out mid match?

What if I three stock someone in real life-pre game?

What if we talk **** mid-game?

What if we trip into an Ike or DDD Fsmash?

What if I'm distracted by the delicious smell of Gustos?

What if we claim ghosts messed up our strategies? (the support ghost on Yoshis of course)

What if the mountain on Yoshi's story looks like **** and balls, I get distracted, and sheild grabbed by Samus?

What if I like the way DDD looks when he gets hit, smile, and thus forfeit the mean mentality I need to destroy him?

What if we make signs to help coach?

What if someone is wearing headphones for music?

What if someone pukes mid match?

What if someone throws a fit, quits the game, and throws his controller? Are we allowed to make fun of said person?

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
No...I meant Jiggs... G&W is awesome this time around. Jiggs was my 2nd behind Marth in Melee. And toasty can admit that it wasn't a bad Jiggs at all. I just had an extremely abnormal fighting style with Jiggs though. It doesn't transpose to Brawl.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
@_@
um.
power goes out: restart match when you can on same stage with same chars
talk **** all you want
On Yoshi's Story, if you have that problem, you probably like men.
If someone pukes, you can pause the match and wait. Or agree to restart at a later time if the puker needs considerable recovery time [during which other matches will be played on that setup]
I think you know my answers to the other questions haha

and @ Uki's Jiggs in Melee...janky. Odd.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
My Jiggs isn't janky...
Its decent... Not the best though.

Yeah it was odd, but it caught most players offguard. Vertical deaths via Rollout were always fun. I just couldn't ever get my timing down for Rest kills. I think had I done that, it would have been better.

toasty

Smash Hero
oh my bad, I was using "janky" the way this other player did one time. It just meant, relative to typical styles, I dunno...different? janky does not mean junky :) I didn't mean it as a put down.

also, I forgot about the music headphones haha, that's totally okay :)

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'll be up at ODU around 5 for anyone that wants to smash... I'll be in the Lion's Den smashing till I can find somewhere better to smash at.

Biosage X

Smash Apprentice
no warioware?! you are a mad man toasty!

anyways, im throwing my wii in for the torney, im sure, however, ill be at slash's afterwords pending a ride.
Depending on how Drumline tryouts go, i may be able to make the last few rounds of the torney or whatever.

also...you shouldnt be so nice toasty ;P

toasty

Smash Hero
lolll TJ you know me, the everlasting diplomat! It's how I do things.
good luck at drumline if you go! Do you still have those oatmeal cookies? I WILL be getting them next week. Wait...check the expiration date on those >_> If not, it's all good. I should be avoiding those cookies nowadays, anyway. *sigh*

Biosage X

Smash Apprentice
uki: i probably wont make the tornement, but weegee wouldnt be my first choice for a torney at this point, anyways.

toast: lawl. yeah, still got the cookies if you want them. they are just wasting space in my room anyways. um, i could even bring them to slash's if you want.

also, toast, check your PMs in like 5 minutes

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I think I know who you would use for tourney. I've got two characters floating in my head. You would probably use one of them in singles tourneys and the other in teams.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Rule change.... interesting...

As for why I'm looking around at who will be playing what... its because I plan on spending all weekend practicing and would like to get down what I feel will be the most common matchups for my characters. Would help to not look like a total noob at my first higher tier tourney. Noob tourneys are one thing, since they aren't that hard to win (or lose because of stupidity)... but this is gonna be a real test for me. I don't want people to see my worst just because I wasn't ready for it.

Edit: Great call on the rule change

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, still 9 days until CNU finishes 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th in singles, ***** the doubles bracket, and demolishes your crews.

... and good call with the rules... f#cking ddd >_>

toasty

Smash Hero
It's cool...the reason I said that was sort of an introduction to an instruction on how to use Smashboards. People generally don't talk about who they're going to use nor do they request to know who the other person may use as that creates an unfair advantage or edge [in the eyes of some]. What you do, instead, is go to the character specific threads for your mains/secondaries/whatever you're interested in, there should be a thread that's Stickied or has a lot of posts that's to the effect of "matchup guide" or "FAQ" or SOMETHING that alludes to "you have questions about this character, we may have answers". It could even be a video thread. <--those are very helpful for studying play on specific stages and versus specific opponents (if the person running the vid thread took the time to post good matches). EDIT: Make sure they are not WiFi videos. I don't care what anyone says, they teach you everything that you shouldn't learn. Unless it's something like a recovery method. But as far as actual playstyle and matchups, disregard WiFi matches.

You could even go in those threads and if it's a long thread with a lot of replies, and your question wasn't answered in the first main post (which you should ALWAYS read thoroughly before posting in that thread) but you didn't have time to look through all the replies, you say that you haven't had time to look through all the replies, but you wanted to know what the most difficult matchups for ____ are. Or you could just look up general strategies for offense/defense against specific characters. As for prepping for the tourney, finding your own characters' weaknesses and strengths when considering your own skill, the characters you will face, the people you will face and who you know they use, the stages you are strongest and weakest on...etc.

This is how you ascend out of nubitude. Not by asking specific people at your tournament who they're going to use. :)

PS: if you see people asking questions like you asked, it's generally between friends and people who like to talk **** in a friendly way. Chances are, though, that you won't see this happen at all.

Ugh, still 9 days until CNU finishes their tourney play in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th matches of the singles tourney, gets ***** in the doubles bracket, and demoralizes themselves and never enters crews again.
QFT.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Please stay out of this Glen. And ignore anything he says along the lines of CNU = ****(d) because it's harmless **** talking that we've established will always continue and will always be a joke. Also: Schoolie won the Newport News Brawl tournament last week. It's important to know your place [and no, post count has nothing to do with this] in the community. I appreciate the gesture, but I'm just informing you, not intentionally scolding you haha.

Then again. You're right :laugh:

Second Edit: Just so you know for future reference (note, future reference, please don't defend what you said, just accept this)...there will be NO actual **** talking from anyone in SoVa. Please keep it to yourself or PM the person. But please, we've got a good community and we don't want any stupidity posted here like it is in NoVa.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
I was just messing around... I know that Schoolie messes with ODU smash alot... its all fun and games.

Edit: Well of course... real ****talk is bogus and unnecessary. I wouldn't disgrace myself or SoVA by engaging in such ludacris acts.

Top Bottom