• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

toasty and Wiggles present: Bel Gusto's Presents: SoVa's (other) First Brawl Tourney!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <

^Thats (757) not (257) in the phone number...Wrong-info-on-google-maps-that-I-copy-pasted-without-proofreading johns.

RULES
HOUSE RULES:
You're on your own for parking, sorry :( I recommend that you park at MacArthur Mall across the street in the garage. On Saturday's, so long as you're out by 6 PM, it's only $1. If you leave your car there past 6 PM, it's still only $2.00
PLEASE, use your common sense: don't steal or break anything.
If you pay venue fee, and don't want to enter in the tourney, you can play friendlies so long as there is no tournament match that needs a TV. Tourney matches take precedent. If the tourney is over before 5pm, everyone can play friendlies until then. I will have labels for people's TVs and Wiis so no one has to worry about losing their ****.
Enjoy great food at Gusto's!!!

TOURNEY RULES:
CASH PAYOUT: 60/30/10 (Venue may unfortunately draw small % from tourney pot...percentages shown are of remaining pot total. If enough people come to this, then I can convince the owner to not take anything from the tourney pot)

NO ITEMS [not even Smashballs]

iCONTROLS! ---You can use any controller (GameCube, Wiimote, etc) and any control configuration you want. If you have special control settings, you MUST change your control scheme before the match starts. If you're human and happen to forget to add your changed controls to that system, you have about 5 seconds into the match [unless your opponent is nice] to remember to change your controls. You WILL, however, remain that character and return to that stage if this kind of event occurs. Sometimes people forget to take off the previous player's tag...well in Brawl that actually matters since control schemes are attached to tags. Same rules apply for realizing this.

Pools and # advancing from each depend on turnout.
Double Elimination Bracket
3 Stock
8 Minutes
Best 2 out of 3
Losers/Winners/Grand Finals: Best 3 out of 5
Each player can ban a stage prior to the set.
First match of each set will be on a Random stage
Loser of the previous match will choose the next stage, then the winner selects a character, then the loser selects a character.

Any glitches or game-stalling strategies to run out the clock are banned and will result in the loss of that stock. This includes Fox's shine stall far away from the stage repeatedly just to run out the clock. It's different than the one done as a defensive mechanism to throw off your opponent's timing for edgeguarding or things of that nature. I don't know if you can still do the rising-pound stall with Jigglypuff, or Peach's wall-bombing or whatever it was called. I think Pit can also repeatedly upB under the stage from ledge to ledge [if the stage is designed in such a way, and a lot of them are]. Don't be a dlck about the specifics like "oh, well I only did that but so many times"...use some common sense.

***NO COACHING. In the middle of a tournament match, you cannot ask someone "what do I do?" or "what am I doing wrong?" etc. If you want to avoid risking your friend/acquaintance's tourney match, then it would be wise to not say anything until the match is over. Some tournaments are a little more strict about this than others, with the strictness level reflecting the gravity of the tournament or match. For me, I'm not sure yet. I'll talk to some more experienced hosts and see what they think. But if I don't change this by the week before the tournament, then consider that it's okay to coach or seek help between matches. But don't be a **** about it and sit there for 5 minutes hatching strategies with someone else. As soon as ONE character has been selected for the next match, the NO COACHING rule is again in effect.

I guess if it's really hype and you see certain things coming and shout out "spike!", "DON'T GET GRABBED!" or something of that nature, that's fine. But don't read out combos or setups to someone playing haha...I'm just saying, no one deserves any sort of unfair advantage. If you don't have the information and strategy to cope with another player's style, and that's what sets you apart from that player and that's why you lose the match, then so be it.

Cheering for your crew is great, but it's not a crew battle (in which case, anything goes :)).

IF YOU BREAK THIS RULE, THE MATCH WILL BE FORFEITED.***

For King DDD users, there are several characters DDD can chainthrow infinite simply by standing still, downthrowing, and regrabbing, etc. Without any effort. If you're a DDD player, don't bother attempting this in tournament to find out what characters it works on, just don't bother trying it. Much like wobbling ended up being in Melee tournaments, this is banned. Depending on the situation, this could result in a reset with you at a 1 stock disadvantage, a forfeited match, or simply the loss of a stock. I reserve the right to deal any punishment I desire given the situation, but only because I'm unaware of any sort of official ruling as to the consequences for doing this.
^------If this eventually proves to NOT be an infinite that can kill you, the this rule will obviously be removed. But for now, this is the way it shall be.

STAGES
NEUTRAL STAGES (set to Random):
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (DS Version)

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes
-Green Greens
-Hanenbow (Electroplankton)
-Norfair

Other than that, if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to share, but that should be pretty self explanatory =D

TELL ME IF YOU CAN BRING A TV. I will..........love you forever? MAYBE if I have enough and I'm in good enough spirits: I'll make you nachos at Slash's if you bring a TV [though there is a limit...we'll see how many we can fit, first come first serve kinda thing]...again: this is a maybe. But I can't reduce the venue fee ;___;

Oh and everyone bring a Wii with all chars/stages if you have them, for good measure :) lol at potential 20+ Wiis. Okay on second thought, let me know if you can bring one and I'll say whether we need it or not.

Thanks Kitsune for the flyer ^_^

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
**** brawl and its crappy stages >_> time to practice on pictochat and pirate ship =.= and not that i like it, but im curious: did you ban corneria because its too small this time around or did you just forget it?

btw you forgot halberd. and if someone in this thread argues against halberd but for hanenbow im going to stick needles in your eyes

edit: i assume you also forgot frigate orpheon. for anyone who argues against it because of the lack of an edge, theres still a platform there. if you tell me to take care not to get caught on the bottom/bottomleft of hanenbow, then i can tell you to not get caught under the right platform on orpheon

toasty

Smash Hero
I forgot a bunch of stuff. I took off corneria, forgot to put Halberd on counterpick list, and didn't mean to put pirate ship. PictoChat is debatable. Sorries. OH and Frigate Orpheon will probably be counterpick as well

EDIT: I also had no idea what was wrong with Hanenbow...what's the deal again? because I may change it if necessary

EDIT#2: I added Frigate Orpheon and Halberd to Counterpicks. I removed Pirate Ship. I also decided that since some people have honest vision issues, I took Lylat off of Neutral and put it on Counterpick.

Question: Should I allow the old school rule of 1 reset per match? If so, I'll leave Lylat on Random, that should be enough courtesy

GAH one last EDIT: The reason for taking Corneria off was because if other walled stages are banned for that very reason, then Corneria shouldn't be excluded. It's reduced size and already short ceiling are also problems. Lol, ICs could probably kill with upB at like 30 or 40 and Ike's usmash can probably kill at 4% (haha, though that's normal, I suppose)...kidding of course, point is, I felt the need to be consistent with my reasoning. Now explain about Hanenbow :) cuz from my understanding, there are ledges everywhere @_@

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
no its just...i hate hanenbow >_> no tourny should have such a shenanigans-looking map. and i wasnt aware it really had ledges, it jus seems every time i play there the moving platforms screw me over. also, **** that branch and the leaf on the left >_> i suppose the biggest problem is the fact that moving platforms screw with your game (think dtilt)

anyways i wasnt saying pictochat and pirate ship arent legal (theyre going to be because brawl is terrible), im just saying i despise the idea of such weird stages (albeit FUN) being legal. ty's for the pirate ship removal though, i cant stand that water

drag00nspyd0r

Smash Rookie
sweet another person for spear pillar.
can someone teach me how to wavedash.

*Captain Falcon for top tier

Cow

Smash Apprentice
no spear pillar. not ever.
there are a million reasons, but i'm going to go with camping.
anyway, i demand norfair. tether heaven!

toasty

Smash Hero
I haven't played Norfair much at ALL. Is it really legit? Like...does the lava change up the game considerably? Isn't there a part where you pretty much die if you don't get in the containment area? Hmm...I might call shenanigans.

On the real, though...since it's so early in the game, I'm torn between two choices as a host:
1) Do I let some of the more crazy levels slide because it's fun and shenanigan-y?
or
2) Do I stay conservative and make sure no one loses money for stupid reasons [like being taken to Spear Pillar by any of the camping characters]

Unless someone [who isn't Schoolie ;)...jk] makes a very convincing argument for the alternative, I'm going with staying conservative. In which case, PictoChat and Warioware are 80% confirmed for the ban list. Mostly because one of the standard responses for why levels like Rainbow Cruise and Pokefloats were not banned in Melee was "It's not random. It's always the exact same, so you know exactly how to deal with the stage as it changes." That's not to say that levels like Mushroomy Kingdom are allowed, of course. But we all know why that's a problem haha.

Until the community comes to a consensus on the complete stage legality list, this is how my stage list will be.

EDIT: Norfair is now a counterpick. Schoolie informed me that if you just grab the ledge when the lava swell comes up, you're invulnerable throughout [of course I'm sure this is somewhat timing sensitive, so be smart about it]

so since that seems to be the only problem I can see with the level, I'm going to keep it on

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
well i mean if norfair, brinstar, and frigate orpheon are on, you KNOW what has to be on next...

brinstar depths. ohhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaah

frills though, toasty do we have time for smash at your place after movie night for shenanigans stage practicing?

toasty

Smash Hero
woooord. If you want that Roy ditto, bring a copy of Melee haha. Though we might have to resort to having that match at SlashTalon's after the tourney. depends on time.

Also: I'm going to mess around on some stages tomorrow and the next night probably.
I'll play on PictoChat some to see if it's legit or not.

ToastMAN

Smash Journeyman
What the hell man, you stole both my names...I demand you switch now, although "wiggles" isnt really my alias but its pretty **** close

toasty

Smash Hero
hahaha that's a strange coincidence. Though I'm not Wiggles. That's another player. And I've already had my name jacked by other people. ****, someone just straightup named themselves "Toasty!" the only difference being the capital T and the !

At least yours has SOME distinction. The last thing I want is to be mistaken for Toasty! or to have someone mistake him for ME. >_> Where're you from?

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
*joined March 2008* What the hell man, you stole both my names...I demand you switch now
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAhahh
ahahahhahHAHHAHAHHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA
HHAHAHHAHHHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHHAHAHHAHA
HHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahahahahhhHHAHAHHAHAHHA

ooooooooooooh how I love the Brawl kids, in other news

Everyone make sure to do both Crews AND Doubles at Slash's post-tourney smashfest Saturday :)

ToastMAN

Smash Journeyman
Im from new hampshire, my alias is Wigz...

so unless we both go pro and become popular in smash community we shouldnt have a problem...besides im know more as Wigz anyways

still pretty funny

ToastMAN

Smash Journeyman
this is actually my 3rd account...so yeah and besides that im now as Toastman or Wigz in other games other than smash...

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the orange section answered my questions.

But let this be known. If Juan is in a tournament match and he gets his 2-hit 0-death combo on someone, there will be screaming... and a mosh pit might happen >_>

UGH LET THIS WEEK END SO THIS THING CAN START.

edit: what if you pay for some ***** and you notice an obvious spike setup... can i scream out, "you better get baited" or "be patient"? You know, just general advice that suggests nothing about what's going on?

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah, general advice should be okay. people do that anyway. Just nothing like "you know, he's just going to get you to this damage, get you near the edge, and then upB" haha...imagine this was Melee...what this rule means is that if your friend is Falco and he's going against a Jiggz, you absolutely CAN NOT say "make sure you DI away when Jiggz throws you up" or anything to that effect. Don't get grabbed is as specific as you can get, but only because you can say that in just about any matchup. And who wants to get grabbed anyway [lol, unless you have a YYG Jacket on ;)]

also...even if this week ended...........................you'd still have to wait another week until the 26th which is when this **** ACTUALLY gets started.

Check your PMs.

rhan

Smash Hero
I can go if Shaeman can. I might be able to get a ride up there.

And about Warioware....Yea.....That stage....kinda....unfair...I dont want it in. But Pictochat is fun to play on. Im all in for Pictochat! ^_^

Top Bottom