• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Those that Oppose the Gameplay Changes

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
The game is going to be slowed down to allow more players to play it. Why don't you people think this is a good idea? By not letting new members join the community, you'll slowly start killing it. Video games thrive on new players joining the fray constantly. If the game is slightly tweaked to remove Wavedashing, a glitch that shouldn't exist (even if the programmers noticed it and left it in, it doesn't mean they saw the full ramifications of leaving it there), then fine, so be it. I can't Wavedash around my group of friends because none of them can do it; they don't bother to practice it, and refuse to play against me if I actively use it, and as such, I find no need to practice it either. So Wavedashing gets removed? Good. Explain to me why it should be left it.
The one thing most of the anti-advanced play crowd doesn't get is that there is a difference between the smash community, the ones who only play for fun, and the competitive smash community, those who play for fun as well as to reach their top potential as players, and to whom winning at big events is the ultimate goal. To be honest, I do not care how many new players start playing Brawl if indeed it is made more "noob-friendly", since I'm not going to waste my time with players who have no interest in putting effort into learning more difficult aspects of a competitive game. These people, much like your friends and yourself, tend to shut themselves off from advanced techniques because they proved too hard for them to learn in five minutes, so they blanket them all as cheats and glitches, and speak of playing "the way it was meant to be played", apparently decided upon by some unseen panel of noob judges. Now, I know Nintendo is a business, and that they will no doubt cater to the desires of those like you and your friends as far as the gameplay goes. We competitive players just wish they could also take us into consideration, we who have made smash one of the biggest competitive video games on an international scale. What I'm saying is, leave advanced techs in, those who want to use them will, and the rest can continue to ignore them, pan them, not go to tournaments, in short, exactly what they have done with Melee. Advanced techs should be left in because a sizable amount of the smash playing demographic have learned to use them and thus broaden the possibilities of Smash as a competitive game, and to remove it would prove unfair to them. Leaving them in would not be unfair in any way to those who oppose them, since nobody is holding them hostage and demanding that they use them. Is this enough of a reason?

I remember during the initial preparation for this game, that everyone was complaining about Melee turning into "just another fighter". One such argument: If they added Supers into it, that's a bad thing. Well, they sure as heck added Supers to it, didn't they? And they did a fine job at it too, by making it 'optional' for all you 'pros' who don't like fighting with items and only play on certain levels. This is where your hypocrisy comes in: If you don't want this game to be just like any other fighter, why are you trying so hard to make it like one? You remove items. Why? Because they take away from the skill required to play? No, you take them out because they're "random" and it makes the game "unfair". Bull. Items make the game more frantic, and add the chaos factor that regular fighters don't have. You play only on a small selection of levels, and you ALWAYS get rid of the moving levels, such as Poke Floats. Why? Because they're "random" and it's makes the game "unfair". Bull. The moving levels make the game more fun by making the players have to concentrate on more than just their opponent, something that regular fighters don't have.
As far as I know, supers are not confirmed, and if they are, them being an item is certainly not confirmed. The fact is, the way smash is played at tournaments --without items and with certain levels banned-- it is still unlike any other fighting game ever made (not counting those made to emulate smash). They should not take out items from the game, but they should sure as hell give us the option to take them out as well. Randomness has no place in competitive tournaments, at least if it can be avoided. Having items in tournaments would be like having land mines on the field at a football game. Would the land mines make the game better by randomly blowing up when someone steps on them, making the game more frantic and adding to the "chaos factor"? Remember, this is just an analogy and I am aware of the differences between smash and football. I'm just trying to get my point across. Also, to my knowledge, Poke Floats is not banned in MLG, since it is not random (the floats always show up in the same order).

By cutting certain levels and removing items, you completely destroy certain characters' only good qualities. You can bet that Mewtwo would be a better character if items were allowed, because the moment he picked up a Paper Fan his opponent would be afraid to put up his shield. Pichu is Bottom Tier because you removed the only thing that gave him an advantage: items. Because PokeFloats and Big Blue are turned off, it's impossible for, say, Kirby to gain an advantage by using the environment as a weapon. By turning off the "unfair" levels and items, you make this game exactly like all the other fighters out there, only lo and behold, you have to do your own combos. But in removing levels and items, you also remove several combo opportunities.
This is just preposterous. Pichu and Mewtwo would still suck with items and on every level. Every character can use the paper fan the same way, a bit of added range doesn't make much of a difference, so I fail to see how that would make Mewtwo better. And why is Pichu better with items, because his trophy says he is small and quick and can get items easily (I think)? Guess what, Fox and Capt. Falcon can scatter for items easily as well, and they're much higher up already than Pichu. Should we start handicapping matches because that's how Pichu was "meant to be played"? If moving stages are an advantage for Kirby, he still has Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise to use in tournaments. The Ice Climbers are at a disadvantage on any level not named FD, and you still see them place well in tournaments. Smash is in no way like any fighting game when used in tourney format, you just don't really know what you are talking about. Just to reiterate, I'm not saying the developers should take items out, just trying to explain why they are not popular withing the competitive community.

Also, you claim that by changing the gameplay and certain characters, that people will have to learn the game all over again. Guess what? Did you play the original Smash Bros.? THen, did you play Melee? Well, answer me this: Didn't you have to relearn certain aspects of the game? yes? Good, then stop complaining. If they don't change anything going into Brawl, they're basically making Smash Bros. Melee 2, and that's not a good thing. You see, because then, Smash Bros. would become like other fighters, because all that's chaning is a few new characters, some new levels, and improved graphics and combos. By changing the gameplay slightly, they create a completely new experience. That's wherein you'll find fun: a new gaming experience for everyone, pro or newb. So you have to relearn Sheik because they toned her down? Good, maybe you'll find someone else you like. So Wavedashing got removed? Good, now everyone's on the same basic skill level, and taking advantage of a glitch won't make the difference between a pro and a newb: it will be actual skill with their character of choice.
This is where it gets moronic. First, I won't complain about changed gameplay because I'll have to relearn stuff. I don't know who does, but I don't agree with them. I am against the removal of advanced techs because it seems like, if it happens, it will be because of all of you complaining that they are too hard/unfair/hax. Also, I find you to be a hypocrite, since you support gameplay changes for Brawl, but you think wavedashing (a gameplay change from 64 to Melee, and it makes no difference if it was intended or not, since it did not break the game) shouldn't be around. Contrary to extremely popular noob consensus, wavedashing does not make a pro. I know you are too ignorant of high level play to understand that, so i won't elaborate, but you should just basically realize that it isn't the great divider. Noobs are noobs because they refuse to learn techs, but more importantly concepts that take longer than five minutes to master, and are content with being the best int heir neighborhood. Actual skill still is and always will be what separates noobs from pros, and it's just dumb to assumer wavedashing overrides skill when determining who is better.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Those noobs are buyers of the game as well. If you want an advanced play then fine you make your teir lists, ban your stages, turn off yor super moves and items and compete. It's not dedicated to a high level of play. At least it wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to be, pick your favorite character and beat the brap out of your 3 best friends. That's not saying it can't be a competitive game, but that never was and never should be the main purpose of the game. Like I said, put anything you want in the game to make it fun. Just make an option to turn it off...
Time for another lame, but true analogy!!11!11one!1

If there is a classroom that has 19 disobedient students, is it fair that the 2 obedient students have to stay in at lunch with the rest of them?
I agree with this 100%
I am hoping Wavedashing is taken out as it seems to take away from other actions. Hopfully, everyone can learn to use the Character, not the glitch.
Die. Lets see anyone play Luigi or Mewtwo without advanced tactics. You seem to be under the impression that WDing will make you pwn at the game. Why are noobs so insistent that it be taken out of the game? Is it too hard for you to do, or are you just stubborn?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I haven't been reading anything really but I would like to state something. People that complain about wavedashing have no skill at all. You are only trying to find an excuse as to why you lost to a superior player. Now you might say, "Oh, and what makes you so superior with your adv. techs?" . Lol. I DON'T USE adv. techs and guess what? I can beat people THAT USE adv. techs. Who would have thought that someone who doesn't use adv. techs could be pro? I must be breaking a rule or something right? Quit complaining so much.

Edit: Oh, and don't say I use Marth either because I main Mario.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I have no problem with advanced techs, since I nor anyone I know uses them, so they don't affect me. So, really, whether they remain in Brawl or not is really not something I care about.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
I haven't read every single post in this thread, but I read the first page so I know the basic idea of what's being talked bout.

I have been running tournaments monthly for the past 2 years and just recently I noticed something about the gaming "pros"; many of them fear change and will fight tooth and nail to get their way. I have put up with way too much BS over the past 2 years. Recently I hosted an amateur event in Rhode Island for one of our sponsors, Gamer Graffix. The event pulled in over 1200 people, 170 of which played in the SSBM tournament. Granted it was our first event of this magnitude, so we did have some setbacks. However, most of the complaints I got were from pro smashers. They didn't like the rules, that there was no free play, this that and the other thing. It's like they were expecting the tournament to be exactly like MLG or something.

Honestly I am sick of it. My company has many gaming event projects in the works, one of which will be a national tour with Gamer Graffix. I understand that pros expect a certain thing from a tournament, but if I were to cater to pros all the time honestly I would be going no where right now. It's likely within the next year or so I will be able to do events like these for a living, and I'd rather hold events that draw in 1200 n00bs just because they would appreciate everything more. Many of the players there for smash were n00bs, only about 10 MAYBE were pros. So why should I tailor my events to those 10 people when I have 160 people who are fine with whatever I tell them? If I did that, it would be the end for my business. I could have made it 10 stock, 1 game, giant melee, with items on high and those 160 people would have had a BLAST regardless.

I see video games as something fun an enjoyable. True, when I play games I prefer to cut some things from the games to make for a more competitive atmosphere, but that's because I'm such an avid gamer I like to try to add more strategy to my games. Once in a while I like to play random game settings, but I still enjoy a tournament setting. However, when (or if) I goto a tournament I don't expect the host to set up the rules the way I prefer them. If it was random rules I'd say "f**k it", deal with it, and just play. It's like get over yourselves.

THIS GOES TO PROS AS WELL AS N00BS:
Just because the game won't be the way you want it, or because the rules aren't what you normally play doens't mean the game will be less fun.

Hey Pros!! Nintendo isn't concerned with competitive gaming. They know competition exists in gaming, but in general it usually doesn't go beyond your initial group of friends, or in some cases players over the internet. If Nintendo made SSBB just like Melee only with new characters, graphics, and levels they would essentially just be making an extension of Melee. And if that was the case, many people who played the first 2 games who WERE NOT tournament pros would get bored with the game very fast.

And to those n00bs who want to remove every advanced technique. Fine, remove it all I don't give a ****. But guess what? There WILL be new glitches to exploit and new advanced techniques that can be learned. It's like that in any and every game, whether or not those techniques break the game. The only games that don't have exploitable glitches are DDR type games and Pong. So if you want a game with no exploits, go find an Atari and a copy of Pong and play your little hearts out.

Everyone quit your *****ing. The next Smash will rock whether or not it has wavedashing, or if you can play it competitively. I'll get it and play it just like everyone else here. Who cares what they will change and what they won't, just play the **** game and have fun.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
L-canceling isn't a glitch, it was in SSB also, so at least it wasn't a glitch in SSBM, which I said in my post above. But I really agree with you on not using items. I've noticed that when I play certain people who aren't good, and know it, do better with items on, and they say so themselves. I agree with what Dark Link says about taking out items, but just like he used the example of baseball, that works against him with items. Example: In the Chicago Cubs Wrigley Field, the wind can make a huge difference between games. (I don't know why at Wrigley Field in particular, it's mostly just for an example.) Can anyone control the wind? Of course not, just as much as you can control what item comes down where and when. But when the wind carries two hits out of the park for the Tigers, and pushes two would-be homers foul for the Cubs, does that affect the outcome of the game? Yes, and can even give the win to the worse team. But in the Houston Astro Dome, is that factor of randomness there? No, and with that factor gone, the wind couldn't alter the outcome of the game. It's the same reason items are taken out, so the outcome of the game is not unfairly altered. Not to mention, an already better player doesn't get a much bigger advantage.
Basically L-canceling is a glitch because in SSB they didn't make L-canceling on purpose, in SSBM they just kept it in because people used it in SSB.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I don't think it is a glitch Kenny.
Anyway I don't oppose change it is a new game there will be some differences we must accept that.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Honestly, we can oppose it all we want, but in reality, there's very little we can do about it.

Nintendo wants to make more money. The easiest way to do that is to attract more people, and most of the people (resources of money) that lie untapped are first time gamers, or those who aren't as "skilled" as us, per se. Of course Nintendo is going to tailor Brawl to satisfy the larger majority of consumers, be they hardcore gamers or not. All we can do is to hope for the best. However, most people that I talk to who are "noob" at this game are perfectly fine with the currecnt speed of SSBM, and the majority don't like going back to playing SSB64 because it's too slow.

And as someone said earlier, there's not much Nintendo can do to the game and still keep everyone happy; in fact, there probably isn't anything Nintendo can do to satisfy that requirement.

I've noticed a sort of thrend in this forum and in many other forums as well. The trend seems to be "Smash Bros. Brawl is getting 'slowed down' a little, so now it's not going to be good". People are complaining that, just because Nooby McNewguy can't Wavedash or hold his own against certain players, that doesn't mean the game should be changed in any way. They complain that the "slower aerial battles" are going to make the game too much like a DBZ fighter, and that it would ruin the unique aspect that Smash Bros. has.

I'd like to say that looking at the gameplay changes like this is starting to show that the Smash community is a bunch of elitist hypocrites.

The game is going to be slowed down to allow more players to play it. Why don't you people think this is a good idea? By not letting new members join the community, you'll slowly start killing it. Video games thrive on new players joining the fray constantly. If the game is slightly tweaked to remove Wavedashing, a glitch that shouldn't exist (even if the programmers noticed it and left it in, it doesn't mean they saw the full ramifications of leaving it there), then fine, so be it. I can't Wavedash around my group of friends because none of them can do it; they don't bother to practice it, and refuse to play against me if I actively use it, and as such, I find no need to practice it either. So Wavedashing gets removed? Good. Explain to me why it should be left it.
Yes, more people will play it. However, by slowing the game down, it detracts from the tournament scene, and that's what most people in SWF are really interested about. Remember, you should almost be prepared for biased results since you are asking people that know how to WD, and many have been actively involved with pro smashing for quite a few years now. I have to say that your friends don't take this game seriously; they use it and treat it as some party game, and not a true fighter. And there's really nothing wrong with not WDing when playing some people, but people that can actually take a loss and not blanket everything they don't understand as "cheating" whould be fine with it. Wavedashing adds another level to the game, and this level is completely optional; you don't have to take your game up to that level since nobody's forcing you to do it.

The new aerial battle system doesn't sound at all like it's being made to sound like. I fairly certain just having more interesting aerial battles will make the game more fun, and I sure didn't see it as a bad thing when watching Pit and MetaKnight do it in the trailer. What's your problem with this change? It honestly sounds like it might matches more fun, and it gives a whole new area for characters to excel/fail in, creating a new way to determine the tiers. Explain to me why this is a bad thing.
Interesting? All you have to do, based on my observations, is just press a single button and directional input to initiate a whole string and sequence of attacks, especially with Meta Knight. It takes away from the so called "skill" factor of the game. What's the point if all you have to do is just press forward A on the ground to do 20%, and that attack serves as an easly launcher so you can just rack up an additional 30% in the air? It would make the depth of this game pretty **** shallow.

I remember during the initial preparation for this game, that everyone was complaining about Melee turning into "just another fighter". One such argument: If they added Supers into it, that's a bad thing. Well, they sure as heck added Supers to it, didn't they? And they did a fine job at it too, by making it 'optional' for all you 'pros' who don't like fighting with items and only play on certain levels. This is where your hypocrisy comes in: If you don't want this game to be just like any other fighter, why are you trying so hard to make it like one? You remove items. Why? Because they take away from the skill required to play? No, you take them out because they're "random" and it makes the game "unfair". Bull. Items make the game more frantic, and add the chaos factor that regular fighters don't have. You play only on a small selection of levels, and you ALWAYS get rid of the moving levels, such as Poke Floats. Why? Because they're "random" and it's makes the game "unfair". Bull. The moving levels make the game more fun by making the players have to concentrate on more than just their opponent, something that regular fighters don't have.
What. No. Most people refer to the physics and fighting style of this game, and not the "uncertainty" factor that you're talking about. When you play a match, you want the outcome to be the result of each player's respective skill, and not have it decided just because a bomb-omb dropped on someone while they were charging a smash on the last stock.

By cutting certain levels and removing items, you completely destroy certain characters' only good qualities. You can bet that Mewtwo would be a better character if items were allowed, because the moment he picked up a Paper Fan his opponent would be afraid to put up his shield. Pichu is Bottom Tier because you removed the only thing that gave him an advantage: items. Because PokeFloats and Big Blue are turned off, it's impossible for, say, Kirby to gain an advantage by using the environment as a weapon. By turning off the "unfair" levels and items, you make this game exactly like all the other fighters out there, only lo and behold, you have to do your own combos. But in removing levels and items, you also remove several combo opportunities.
What? Characters aren't made better by Items. Mewtwo still sucks; if anything, he'd be made worse with items on since all the fast characters would outspeed him to said item. Mewtwo and Pichu are relegated to Bottom Tier because they're just bad characters; items would only magnify their weaknesses.

Also, you claim that by changing the gameplay and certain characters, that people will have to learn the game all over again. Guess what? Did you play the original Smash Bros.? THen, did you play Melee? Well, answer me this: Didn't you have to relearn certain aspects of the game? yes? Good, then stop complaining. If they don't change anything going into Brawl, they're basically making Smash Bros. Melee 2, and that's not a good thing. You see, because then, Smash Bros. would become like other fighters, because all that's chaning is a few new characters, some new levels, and improved graphics and combos. By changing the gameplay slightly, they create a completely new experience. That's wherein you'll find fun: a new gaming experience for everyone, pro or newb. So you have to relearn Sheik because they toned her down? Good, maybe you'll find someone else you like. So Wavedashing got removed? Good, now everyone's on the same basic skill level, and taking advantage of a glitch won't make the difference between a pro and a newb: it will be actual skill with their character of choice.

So honestly, I'd like an intelligent discussion with this. Someone tell me the bad part about Sakurai-san's changes, in response to my own points. What's wrong with changing the game?
I somewhat agree with this. But the fact that you're using unverified info, such as the removal of wavedashing, substantially weakens your argument, since nobody knows if wavedashing has been removed or not. And in reality, there's nothing wrong with changing the game much, but as I stated earlier, if Nintendo changes SSBM too much, they're bound to piss a whole lot of people off.

I agree with this 100%
I am hoping Wavedashing is taken out as it seems to take away from other actions. Hopfully, everyone can learn to use the Character, not the glitch.
And as shown by this poster above, this becomes and issues of ethics, morals, and in the end, what is "right" and what is "wrong." Do you wavedash because it's the only way you're able to move up in tournament play unless you're extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY skilled? Most people would say yes, and a small minority would say no, and venture out onto their own path. But in the end, you can't really expect to impose your value system on others and expect them to follow it, especially since this is a game, and the sole purpose of playing it is really to have fun, for most. If not, then it's not really a "game."

To those that want to remove L-Cancelling and wavedashing, I have one very simple question for you. Why? You aren't required to use any of the advanced techs to have fun with SSBM. I loved playing both SSB64 and SSBM with bom-ombs, pokeballs, and motion sensor mines, way before I learned about advance techs. Advanced techs are just there for those seeking an extra challenge; those who want to take their gameplay to the next level. But that's not free; you have to work at it if you want to be better at this game.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
So, do you have a source to back this claim up or...
No. It's all logic. In SSB, when you L-cancel there's no wait time at all, you land directly on your feet. In SSBM, you don't stand instantly after L-canceling. They would've kept the wait time the same in both games if they purposely made L-canceling.

Miharu

Smash Hero
No. It's all logic. In SSB, when you L-cancel there's no wait time at all, you land directly on your feet. In SSBM, you don't stand instantly after L-canceling. They would've kept the wait time the same in both games if they purposely made L-canceling.
No. Or they decided that having L-cancelling cancel all lag would be too cheap/unfair, and so they decided to make it cancel half of the move's lag instead.

But it's all hypothetical. So either of us stands a chance of being right, slight as it may be, since nobody knows for sure.

jocar626

Smash Rookie
if nintendo were to make brawl the same as ssbm i wouldnt buy it. understandably pros have put alot of time into the game to become pros so they dont want their hard work to go to waste, but whats the point of buying a whole new game if people are already going to be playing at a pro level the day it comes out?

further comments on the items/ moving levels.

I think that items are fun to play with and can really change the matcha round sometimes making the less skilled player win, and when u play for money its not fair for someone to be better and then lose because someone gets a lucky item (baseball bat?). Items should remain in game because they make the game unique by allowing the game to change in an instant.

Moving levels should be allowed whenever because it forces a person to not only focus on their opponent but also on the level and their surroundings bringing more skill to the game. Moving levels were also put into the game to make it unique, you feel like u are in multiple levels when u are on a moving level and some people can do better in certain areas.

As far as people who say N00bs that want change, cant wavedash or l cancel, many other people who can use those dont like them because they are glitches (obvioulsy L cancel is controversial).

The game being changed and glitches being taken out doesnt neccesarily make pros on an equal level with n00bs. if you are a true pro you should know how to play your class well enough to not rely on glitches.

as u can tell im trying to stay neutral on this whole thing but i do strongly agree with people who try to remove most mvoing levels, as i think it adds more skill to the game then just "who can get their combo off the fastest or who can strike first and then dodge away.."

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Die. Lets see anyone play Luigi or Mewtwo without advanced tactics. You seem to be under the impression that WDing will make you pwn at the game. Why are noobs so insistent that it be taken out of the game? Is it too hard for you to do, or are you just stubborn?
First, lets go to petty threats. Secondly the Teir list is BS. I kniow a friend who plays as Luigi and is relativly good, and Im preety good as Mewtwo. In reality you can be good with any character. You just have to learn.

Also WDing, as you call it, is not really fair. Its exploiting something that shouldn't have been in the game. Why dont you play and try and learn the character, and not the cheap trick because that what it is, cheap. Also, you complain saying these people should just leanr to Wavedash. Now that sounds good in theory, but nothing in throry translates well. Wavedashing is easy to learn at a basic level. You could slide easy with Luigi. But, in consesion its very hard. Most people would rather not give up there lives just to learn one technique, which just takes the fun away.

Also, think about online. You do a wavedash online and win, yet the other people may not know what a wavedash is. Is it fair that they get pwned by something they dont even know about. No. Its to be removed for these casual players. The people who dont give away there life for one game. Know its a little more fair, and if someone loses its because the other player knew his character.

You brand those who dont want to learn wavedashing as n00bs, that they should learn it. That atleast 95% of the smash players should conform to the 5% who are just exploiting a glitch in the first place. I've tried to learn it and its BORING. I'd rather play and have fun. It seems you guys care more about winning and being the beast rather then having fun.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
First, lets go to petty threats. Secondly the Teir list is BS. I kniow a friend who plays as Luigi and is relativly good, and Im preety good as Mewtwo. In reality you can be good with any character. You just have to learn.

Also WDing, as you call it, is not really fair. Its exploiting something that shouldn't have been in the game. Why dont you play and try and learn the character, and not the cheap trick because that what it is, cheap. Also, you complain saying these people should just leanr to Wavedash. Now that sounds good in theory, but nothing in throry translates well. Wavedashing is easy to learn at a basic level. You could slide easy with Luigi. But, in consesion its very hard. Most people would rather not give up there lives just to learn one technique, which just takes the fun away.

Also, think about online. You do a wavedash online and win, yet the other people may not know what a wavedash is. Is it fair that they get pwned by something they dont even know about. No. Its to be removed for these casual players. The people who dont give away there life for one game. Know its a little more fair, and if someone loses its because the other player knew his character.

You brand those who dont want to learn wavedashing as n00bs, that they should learn it. That atleast 95% of the smash players should conform to the 5% who are just exploiting a glitch in the first place. I've tried to learn it and its BORING. I'd rather play and have fun. It seems you guys care more about winning and being the beast rather then having fun.
You know, I am really getting pissed off at all the complaining here. Everyone should remain neutral on the subject of wavedashing being removed for the simple fact that we do not know what Brawl is going to be like. So here is an argument for both sides:

- Stop complaining about WD. It doesn't make you a superior player, I should know, I don't use WDs and I can still beat people that use them. Stop blaming your lack of skill on one move.

- If wavedashing is removed, deal with it. The world is not going to end if you can't slide any more. Just learn some new techs. or use a default style like I do. I am still a pro so you see that not all hope is lost.

If wavedashing stays, fine, whatever but if it is removed, so what? Learn something new. And for people who support its removal, shut up. If you suck so badly, stop playing all together and stop complaining so d*** much.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Also, think about online. You do a wavedash online and win, yet the other people may not know what a wavedash is. Is it fair that they get pwned by something they dont even know about. No. Its to be removed for these casual players. The people who dont give away there life for one game. Know its a little more fair, and if someone loses its because the other player knew his character..
You are a moron. I don't even care to read the rest of your post, this stuck out like a sore thumb. Do you people just not get it? Wavedashing =/= win, stupids. But I'm wasting my time here, none of you will ever even begin to think otherwise. Anyone can learn to wavedash and apply it in less than a week. You make it seem like it's a lifetime sacrifice because, maybe, you are just terrible at this game.

But I guess I can try to look at it from your point of view. Let's see; "it's not fair that better, more knowledgeable players beat scrubby players who don't know/refuse to learn how to play the game".

Nah, it's just basically a very crappy way to think.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Replace WD with something not so annoying to fight agains, lol. O.o

I was opposed to WD and the like in Brawl, but now I don't care. We had a local campus tournament, and there were a bunch of people using WD. I beat 1, then got 3-stocked by a Peach....don't know what happened there....

Point is, bring on the adv. tech's, I'll still kick yo a**!

^_^

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Did you enjoy my petty threat? Ok. The teir list. I dont care if you care about it. It's simply a list of characters that people think are better over others. I dont know why you even brought it up. I said Mewtwo and Luigi because their abilities are greatly increased by wavedashing.
It took me, literally, ten minutes to do it consistently. It also makes the game MORE FUN! The wave dash is a part of the character.

You say wave dashing is cheap. OK. I'll bite. From now on, I declare that jumping too much is cheap. When you jump, you cant do smash attacks. It's Super SMASH Brothers. Smash attacks should make up at least fifty percent of your attacks.

Combos are cheap. Combos were never intended because it doesn't give the opponent time to recover. It's not fun.
If they can play Smash online, they can look up wave dashing on the internet. After three loses, they'll look up this magic sliding ability everyone else is using. Yes, it is fair that people who practice more win. I cant believe you even said that.

Knew the characters? I know my characters quite well AND I wave dash to make them better. In fact, I rarely wave dash because I'm too good for my friends anyway. (they WD, but I dont) This isn't some magic button code that makes someone automatically win.
Um... I have fun. I wave dash. Your logic is incorrect. If you dont want to play with it, be my guest.

There are more illiterate people on the earth than literate. (<--I think...) Books should be banned because it makes those who cant read feel bad.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Replace WD with something not so annoying to fight agains, lol. O.o

I was opposed to WD and the like in Brawl, but now I don't care. We had a local campus tournament, and there were a bunch of people using WD. I beat 1, then got 3-stocked by a Peach....don't know what happened there....

Point is, bring on the adv. tech's, I'll still kick yo a**!

^_^
There you go. Now we are on the same wavelength. +Rep for you.

Mars-

Smash Champion
The thing is, you guys need proof that it is slowing down. I got proof that says it won't which is the nintendo world smash trailer. This thread is now completely pointless and is just spam.

Did you enjoy my petty threat? Ok. The teir list. I dont care if you care about it. It's simply a list of characters that people think are better over others. I dont know why you even brought it up. I said Mewtwo and Luigi because their abilities are greatly increased by wavedashing.
How did you get that many posts without knowing what the teir list is?

Miharu

Smash Hero
No. Then the tier list doesn't apply to you. The tier list assumes that the two people that are playing each other are relatively on the same plane of skill. So theoretically, if two people of equal skill were to play each other, the person using the character higher on the tier l ist would be more likely to win, unless the lower character was a counterpick against the higher one. (IE: Peach and Ganondorf.)

Here's the definition of the word cheap as given by dictionary.com:

cheap (chp)
adj. cheap·er, cheap·est

1. Relatively low in cost; inexpensive or comparatively inexpensive.
2. Charging low prices: a cheap restaurant.

1. Obtainable at a low rate of interest. Used especially of money.
2. Devalued, as in buying power: cheap dollars.
3. Achieved with little effort: a cheap victory; cheap laughs.

So the first 2 definitions don't apply, but take a look at the third one. People usually define "cheap" as something that is unfair, can be applied with relatively little effort, and is easily abusable. So let's see if wavedashing fits that definition. It definitely doesn't take little effort to apply, since the learning curve at first is pretty steep, but once you get over that, it becomes a bit simpler. Now on to whether it's unfair or not. Usually, something that's unfair can only be accessed by a select few, but wavedashing is open to everyone, given that they're willing to do a bit of research to find out what it is in the first place. It's critical for people to play at the pro level, but yet, it's not that hard to learn at all. Yes, it does take some time to integrate wavedashing into your game, but it really only takes about a few months or so if you keep on forcing yourself to use it as you play. Not your whole life.

LOL. NO. Wavedashing =/= win. I don't even need to address the rest of this section. State your argument in a more learnt fashion if you even want to get anywhere on this forum. Then again, those who took the time to learn wavedashing will already have a superior mindset to those who've never picked up wavedashing or played competetively, so they shouldn't even need wavedashing to beat some random scrub. And don't make up this bs about the game being more "fair." It wasn't fair to begin with, since the "pro" had so much more experience to begin with and anyone, and I mean anyone, who has been involved with the smash scene for an extended amount of time, and is decent, can easily destroy some random underground noob, advanced techs or not.

No. We only brand those who want to get better, as in get much better, and refuse to learn wavedashing because it's a "cheap" tactic, which in fact, it isn't. Your excuse for not wanting to learn it is because it's boring? That's your opinion, and we could really care less. We have fun with it, since it opens up so many more levels of the game, and makes it just that much more exciting. So don't try to impose your mindset on other people, just because you don't have fun with wavedashing, and others do. Nobody has to do what anyone else is doing if they just want to have fun.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The teir list is how good characters do in tournaments. It has nothing to do with what characters people think are best.
If that is what the tier list is, then it is total BS. The player's skill is what makes a character do well in battle not the character itself.

Miharu

Smash Hero
The teir list is how good characters do in tournaments. It has nothing to do with what characters people think are best.
Actually.

Yes, it's based on tournament results, but it's really what a select group of panelists think.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
So basically tiers are pointless. I say let wavedash die it'snot essential, I'm with Uncle Kenny I don't use it, but I can beat people who can.

jocar626

Smash Rookie
You know, I am really getting pissed off at all the complaining here. Everyone should remain neutral on the subject of wavedashing being removed for the simple fact that we do not know what Brawl is going to be like. So here is an argument for both sides:

- Stop complaining about WD. It doesn't make you a superior player, I should know, I don't use WDs and I can still beat people that use them. Stop blaming your lack of skill on one move.

- If wavedashing is removed, deal with it. The world is not going to end if you can't slide any more. Just learn some new techs. or use a default style like I do. I am still a pro so you see that not all hope is lost.

If wavedashing stays, fine, whatever but if it is removed, so what? Learn something new. And for people who support its removal, shut up. If you suck so badly, stop playing all together and stop complaining so d*** much.

i agree with everything except the last part. you say that people who are against wavdashing arent skilled players which obviously you are a skilled player and dont use it.

in any other game exploiting glitches is frowned upon so i bring that kind of mentality to these forums even though ive never played at a pro level. Understandably Wding makes it easier to get around and get combos going faster and avoid combos aswell, but there are still other options then using a "glitch".

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
i agree with everything except the last part. you say that people who are against wavdashing arent skilled players which obviously you are a skilled player and dont use it.

in any other game exploiting glitches is frowned upon so i bring that kind of mentality to these forums even though ive never played at a pro level. Understandably Wding makes it easier to get around and get combos going faster and avoid combos aswell, but there are still other options then using a "glitch".
I support it's removal because it may cause controversy when taken online, not because I use it or think it is cheap.

Miharu

Smash Hero

Not really there aren't; there isn't much of a substitue for wavedashing, whether you think so or not. The developers noticed wavedashing in the testing phases, and left in in there. Therefore, they know that wavedashing exists, and they knowingly released the game with wavedashing in it. Usually, the exploitation of a glitch screws up the game to such a degree that it is unplayable, or it gives a select few an unfair advantage. Wavedashing doesn't do that, it's not gamebreaking; in fact, it helps to promote higher levels of competetive play. If one has a weak state of mind (weak mindgames, per se), then they won't be able to beat someone who has competent mindgames, even if the former knew how to wavedash. If you don't know how to use wavedashing, then it sure as hell won't help you; it'll just make you look like an idiot.

And here, you state that you've never played at the pro level, and yet you seek to give input to and criticize those that have that sort of experience? Who would people rather listen to: one who doesn't know how relate anything he's saying to the current situation, or someone who does?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

I'm just saying that because the most common argument for its removal is because it is a cheap trick. I don't think it is cheap at all. I've reached pro level without it. So let them have it. If it improves their game then why not? I've actually been training on using it lately. Even after all the hard work I am going to put forth, I still won't care if it is in Brawl or not. The overall point of my argument was to be neutral on the removal of WD.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Guys, why are you so intent on removing wavedashing?

Let's address one point... that casual players will find it cheap and be put off from the game because pros will be owning them with wavedashing.

First of all... why would pros be playing casual players, again? It's pretty much a waste of time, and it's not like the pro gets anything out of it. Personally, I hate playing against casual players, because it messes up my playing. You can be guaranteed that all the pros are not going to seek out casual players and own them with wavedashing. Competitive players will seek out other competitive players. It's that simple.

Second of all... how is wavedashing cheap? First of all, it's completely useless if you do not understand its application. Second of all.... it is merely a single tool from an extensive array of tools. It does not guarantee anything. In fact, I would advise people to NOT pursue wavedashing until they at least get a solid understanding of gameplay, tactics, etc. Wavedashing does NOT guarantee a win, and, in fact, plays a small role in determining the winner. The reason why players who wavedash tend to win over players who don't wavedash is that the players who don't wavedash are either a.) not as skilled (and thus haven't incorporated wavedashing into their game, yet), or b.) scrubs (and thus limiting one's own improvement in the game), or even c.) outside of the competitive scene.
Wavedashing, after all, is only one step up in the ladder out of many. You see, in order to become better as a player... there are many levels that lead higher and higher up. At the beginning... you must be able how to use basic functions. Then there are slightly more complicated stuff like smashing attacks (and i still haven't perfected synchronizing control stick with A, yet. >.<), and then there is more complicated stuff like rolling, spot dodging, air dodging. This goes on and on... till we reach the level before advanced techs come in. At this level, people should have at least a passable understanding for mindgames, can control their character adequately.. and are well versed in the moves in the game. THEN wavedashing (and other advanced techs) has an impact on them, because that is the next level up the ladder.

So, if one of your casual players learned how to wavedash, will he get better? Definitely not. Casual players wrong view advanced techs as god maneuvers.... They should understsand that wavedashing and other advanced techs are, I repeat, MORE OPTIONS.

Now for people who say it is a glitch.... It's a product of game mechanics. As people before me have pointed out, the developers were well aware of wavedashing, or, at the very least, wavelanding. Does this "glitch" affect the games of casual players? Nope. It only applies to games of more competitive players. Statements that wavedashing is "cheating" only reveals the incorrect views some casual players have.

Now, after all of this talk of why there isn'tany cause to remove wavedashing, let's talk a bit about why we should include it. The reason more competitive players wish to keep it in is because of how much more depth it adds too the game. Some of you... most of hte casual players, play the game as most people play it.... it's just a distraction for them. It has pleasant characters, sounds, and simple gameplay that can k eep them entertained for a couple hours.

But... you know what? If that was the only type of game ssbm coudl be, i would not be playing it right now. I wouldn't have been playing it for more than 4 hours straight. I wouldn't have bought a gamecube. I play ssbm because of how much depth it can have. Wavedashing is one aspect that adds to this depth. Removing it would be removing some of the depth of the game, and that would lessen the game.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Guys, why are you so intent on removing wavedashing?
If you start of with a false statement why should I boither reading the rest of the post. I'm not intent on removing it against it yes, but only because there are those out there that will find it as a cheat, so I am agianst the controversy that can potentially arise from casual gamers.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
If it wasn't for casual gamers think it is a cheat and arguing about it then I would be fine with it staying. As long as there are complants about it I dont want to hear them.

Top Bottom