• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TKBreezy Releases New Project M Stagelist And Ruleset

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I could agree that Final Destination could have a change, but why have Yoshi's Island and not Fountain of Dreams? What kinda gets me to want this is because wave dashing doesn't fit too well on Yoshi's Island, the ghost can be camped, I've seen it at games.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Also, the debate over FD aside, I can't get behind Metal Cavern being banned. Counterpick? Sure. I know its blast zones are massive. But it's way too simplistic to be banned outright.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I like some of the ideas here (FD being a counterpick, especially), but this stagelist as a whole doesn't seem particularly great. I think this kind of thing is a good step in the right direction for ruleset decisions, though.

MufN Man

Smash Cadet
So will there be a way to switch the stage select screen between the two stage lists? I think that would be a great feature to have. Once we have a solid stage list for singles a feature like that could be used to switch between singles and teams stage selections

Last edited:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
everyone is always complaining about FoD because of random platforms and now that it's gone they want it back lol. i'm fine with it being gone, not just because of the random platforms but also because it is a small stage, and we already have enough small stages that offer us more platform variety. YS (tri-platforms) GHZ (single swinging platform) WW (unique platform layout)

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Honestly it doesn't matter how many neutrals there are, BF SV and PS2 are going to be picked most of the time anyway.

The CP list is aids. New norfair is worse than the old norfair (old norfair was pretty OK, except the platforms went too low/too high imo), and the lack of FoD makes my insides hurt.

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the list is interesting, but not really tied to character stage advantages or anything. It seems more like it's centered on the feel of it - the neutrals chosen just sort of feel neutral, and the counterpicks are all extremes - FD is flat, YS is small and close/tight, Norfair is new, YI is bumpy, and WW is WW.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I was initially opposed to this, but after giving it a second thought and taking into account my tournament experience, I'm fine with it. The reason: We (meaning my local weekly Smashing Grounds) have a bunch of legal stages that nobody ever picks. Distant Planet is often forgotten to even be legal, Lylat flip-flops between banned and CP weekly and gets universal groans when it's announced to be the latter, and Skyworld rarely has a reason to be picked. Dracula's Castle and old Norfair were not missed when they rotated out of our map pool. This new system will simplify and quicken things, while not actually affecting anything. These are the stages that people already play on the majority of the time.

As far as FD being a counterpick, we already switch stagelists every few months and this was in the realm of possibility, so it would have happened anyway. Personally I think that the new Norfair still looks terrible and I'll always ban it, but I'm essentially fine with playing on any other stage on the proposed page 1, so I'm alright with using my one remaining ban on a stage based on my opponent's character. As far as the page 2 goes, I liken it to the gentleman's agreement to play on Poke Floats in Melee. Aside from FOD, the rest of the stages are all "counterpick" material according to current lines of thought. I don't see it being used too often, but it is still an option for those who feel too restricted by the page 1 list.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I for one will not be using such a stagelist. I can agree that a small list is needed but the changes here seem almost too much.
And I am bias about FoD so there's that. Lol.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
It's a little misleading to claim this isn't any sort of "Official List" when you introduce TKBreezy as Project M Dev Team member and "Voice of Project M" VGBC|TKBreezy

I for one will not be using such a stagelist. I can agree that a small list is needed but the changes here seem almost too much.
And I am bias about FoD so there's that. Lol.
My custom stagelist is this, but with two added counterpicks, distant planet and FoD

Last edited:

MrTsAGamer (MrT)

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrTsAGamer
I know a majority of players prefer melee FD (including myself) but, what if brawl FD was also a playable stage in PM. It would make a good starter stage due to it's size. I think it also has the space to make for an aggressive starter stage too. any thoughts? or am i out of my mind?

Starline

Smash Cadet
FD is certainly a neutral stage by definition, but it does not favor characters evenly. Have a chain grab or projectile? Excellent. Few approach options? gg.

I can get behind the stage list, though. RIP Lylat :(
No, the definition of "neutral stage" includes "does not unevenly favor particular characters".

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
Update: The stagelist video by TKBreezy and SOJ has been re-released! Watch it here.
Project M Dev Team
member and "Voice of Project M" VGBC|TKBreezy recently uploaded a video to Youtube, revealing his own brand new official stage list for tournament play that he created with SOJ, downsizing the typical list from around twelve to fifteen to exactly ten stages that have an excellent balance of size, platform variation, and blastzones.

So compact, so portable, it could fit in your pocket!

The new proposed stagelist is:

Neutrals

Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

Counterpicks

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Warioware Inc.
Final Destination
Norfair (New and Improved!)
Yoshi's Story

omg final destination is a counterpick?! but but wat about FOR GLORY?! sakurai is gonna be so confused :[ i can't even omg #dead

Some of you guys are probably thinking something along those lines. However, the stagelist has been designed so that there's a perfect balance of size and platforms so that no character has an inherent advantage before stage banning has even begun. The stagelist has also been trimmed so that there are no redundant stages in terms of platform placement or size. Because the new stagelist is significantly smaller than the usual Project M stagelists, players also only get two bans during counterpicks. TKBreezy explains;

For stage balancing, it made sense for the last two neutrals to be paired, either Final Destination and Yoshi's Story or Green Hill Zone and Dreamland, so that the natural stage size skew wasn't messed up. Originally, I was okay with Final Destination, but it seems like a bit of the community doesn't feel Final Destination is a neutral. I was going by history, as FD has always been a neutral, but since I'm trying to make a stagelist that's pleasing to the community and not to just me, I went with the change.

The reason why some feel that Final Destination isn't a neutral stage is because characters with a propensity for chaingrabbing or characters with a good projectile like Falco can dictate the pace of a game pretty handily. However, whether or not Final Destination is a neutral or not is still very much up for debate.

I know that there's people who probably liked Fountain of Dreams, or loved playing on Distant Planet. TKBreezy considered this, and created a new ruleset called the "Dual Stagelist Ruleset" for anyone who prefers other stages.

Neutrals - Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Fountain of Dreams, Skyworld, Distant Planet, Counterpick - Dracula's Castle
This new ruleset is a creative new way of picking stages. Essentially, if your TO allows it, two players can agree to switch to either stagelist during any point of a set. However, you can only ban and pick from one stage list at a time. Included in this list is a new modified Pokémon Stadium 1, which had its Rock and Fire transformations modified into a new Rock and Lightning transformations! These were changed in order to change the tendency of a game to completely halt whenever an unfavorable transformation occurred during a tourney match. This will hopefully no longer happen. Lylat Cruise's edges were also slightly modified so that players no longer hit their heads on the edge as they're trying to recover, leading to unfortunate self-destructs. To clarify, this ruleset is optional, and simply an idea that could be interesting.

UPDATE - Due to community feedback, this ruleset has been taken away from the video, and the stages are now banned in the tourney pack.

TKBreezy will be debuting the ten stage list at S@X, which is streamed every Tuesday. TKBreezy added that this stagelist is targeted towards competitive players, and for casuals, every stage is still available to you and he encourages you to try out every stage in your free time. What do you think of the changes to the stagelist? Follow the #YungGawd himself on Twitter @TKBreezy to ask any questions!

NOTE - This pack is not officially endorsed by the PM Dev Team, as they do not get involved with rulesets or anything related.

The whole left side of KhanYe's face is numb. KhanYe hates the dentist. KhanYe can't eat but he's starving. Come be sad with me on Twitter @ayyou9.
Give us PM 3.5 already! New Norfair! Sweet! Plus an ALT for my main???? Just announce a release date already!

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
It's a little misleading to claim this isn't any sort of "Official List" when you introduce TKBreezy as Project M Dev Team member and "Voice of Project M" VGBC|TKBreezy

My custom stagelist is this, but with two added counterpicks, distant planet and FoD
Context of who he is is important, or else people would wonder why he matters. Also, it wouuuuld be misleading.. If I didn't put a disclaimer lmao.

Top Bottom