• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips and Etiquette for playing For Glory

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Just take my friends advice.

"Taunt after every kill. If you don't taunt, it's not a kill."

No im kidding please don't do that. My advice is to be kind and don't taunt. If someone taunts randomly or at the beginning of the match, stop charging your limit or aura sphere and return a curtisy taunt before crouching to convey that you are ready to resume charging limit / aura sphere / whatever. If you don't have projectiles, stop before you get to your opponent if the choose to taunt, roll back, and return the taunt.

Those are just my views on taunting. Don't be a D**k about it

Nilly00

Smash Rookie
Also, don't be a jerk and ditto the opponent to assert superiority over them.
If you see someone trying to use a character, you know a few tricks with, is it ok to choose the same char and play a friendly so you can teach them some tricks?

Nilly00

Smash Rookie
Just take my friends advice.

"Taunt after every kill. If you don't taunt, it's not a kill."

No im kidding please don't do that. My advice is to be kind and don't taunt. If someone taunts randomly or at the beginning of the match, stop charging your limit or aura sphere and return a curtisy taunt before crouching to convey that you are ready to resume charging limit / aura sphere / whatever. If you don't have projectiles, stop before you get to your opponent if the choose to taunt, roll back, and return the taunt.

Those are just my views on taunting. Don't be a D**k about it
Taunting i think is ok
They are disrespectfull thats what they were made for (also as kirby main i am forced to do so pretty often).

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
If you see someone trying to use a character, you know a few tricks with, is it ok to choose the same char and play a friendly so you can teach them some tricks?
Really this is considered just to be insulting if not done by agreement (which can't been done online really) It has always been seen that way, especially back in the arcade days (I'm talking like in the 90s with Street Fighter and stuff). Which IIRC would almost always start some kind of fight. Because all its saying is "You suck with this character. Let me show you how to really play."

Last edited:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Really this is considered just to be insulting if not done by agreement (which can't been done online really) It has always been seen that way, especially back in the arcade days (I'm talking like in the 90s with Street Fighter and stuff). Which IIRC would almost always start some kind of fight. Because all its saying is "You suck with this character. Let me show you how to really play."
Only if you have the mentality that you won't take anything away from it. Dittos are a superb way to learn a character. If you are offended it only shows your lack of dedication to not only the game but the character.
Also the idea that just because you "main" a character means no one else plays them is ridiculous and delusional.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Only if you have the mentality that you won't take anything away from it. Dittos are a superb way to learn a character. If you are offended it only shows your lack of dedication to not only the game but the character.
Also the idea that just because you "main" a character means no one else plays them is ridiculous and delusional.
What are you going to take away from it when its clear 99% of the time this happens the other player has very clearly almost never used this character before in their life? There is nothing wrong with Dittos at all, and I never said or implied that only one person gets to main a character, because you're right that would be stupid as hell. However, I'm sorry, but how am I supposed to take someone playing a high tier (or a relatively high character anyway) and then after beating me picking :4charizard: or :4palutena:, taunting constantly and clearly just not knowing how to play with them? Personally that is really the only time I find it to be insulting; because at that point it very clearly is meant that way and there is just about no other way to take it.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
What are you going to take away from it when its clear 99% of the time this happens the other player has very clearly almost never used this character before in their life? There is nothing wrong with Dittos at all, and I never said or implied that only one person gets to main a character, because you're right that would be stupid as hell. However, I'm sorry, but how am I supposed to take someone playing a high tier (or a relatively high character anyway) and then after beating me picking :4charizard: or :4palutena:, taunting constantly and clearly just not knowing how to play with them? Personally that is really the only time I find it to be insulting; because at that point it very clearly is meant that way and there is just about no other way to take it.
Or, instead of getting offended, mad, whatever, you can use the moment to find vulnerabilities to the character, practice styling with the character, try different play styles, or JOIN IN and have a bit of fun.

You get what you want out of ALL situations in this game. Want to get something positive? ****ing do it. Though, I suppose if you have to mention that this happens when someone uses a high tier specifically, your name is John. Because of that, what I just said is unreasonable because it doesn't fit your view of the Smash world.

This thread had so much potential. Nearly all of it can be negated via my first paragraph or "git gud." It's kinda sad in a way.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
This thread had so much potential. Nearly all of it can be negated via my first paragraph or "git gud." It's kinda sad in a way.
IDK the original poster said " I play Link and projectile spam opponents all day long". That is definitely a strategy but it only works on Final Destination. Really started as a sort of means for the original poster to brush the salt from their un-sportsman like exploiting.
The only direct form of disrespect in FG is tea-bagging..

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
IDK the original poster said " I play Link and projectile spam opponents all day long". That is definitely a strategy but it only works on Final Destination. Really started as a sort of means for the original poster to brush the salt from their un-sportsman like exploiting.
The only direct form of disrespect in FG is tea-bagging..
Unsportsman? For using the character as designed?

Nilly00

Smash Rookie
Ok from now on im gonna play luigi in fg just the way he acts in his games:
Permanently running away and avoiding to get hit without attacking at all until the match ends. Lets see how you like it...

Is Ness meant to only spam pk fire?
No
Do we hate everyone that does this?
Yes

Is wario meant permanenntly drive his motorcycle?
No
Yes

Is Pacman meant to permanently eat his pills with his side b?
no
yes

Is Fox / Falco / Mario / Luigi / Pit / Dark Pit / Pac Man / Cloud / Bayonetta / Ryu / Palutena / Diddy Kong / Bowser jr.......
meant to constantly spamming B?
No
Do we ****ing hate everyone that does this and damn the day their unholy bastardous eyes saw the world ready to spread cancer aids the black plague and every other known disease to the planet???

YES YES WE ****ING DO SO STOP SPAMMING OR SHOVE THOSE STUPID ARROWS UP YOUR GOD DAMN ASS

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Permanently running away and avoiding to get hit without attacking at all until the match ends. Lets see how you like it...

No
Yes

No
Yes

no
yes

Is Fox / Falco / Mario / Luigi / Pit / Dark Pit / Pac Man / Cloud / Bayonetta / Ryu / Palutena / Diddy Kong / Bowser jr.......
No
Do we ****ing hate everyone that does this and damn the day their unholy bastardous eyes saw the world ready to spread cancer aids the black plague and every other known disease to the planet???

YES YES WE ****ING DO SO STOP SPAMMING OR SHOVE THOSE STUPID ARROWS UP YOUR GOD DAMN ***
These things are mildly annoying at worst. They are easily defeated strategies. If these things anger you so much, maybe competitive smash isn't for you.

Pyr

Smash Lord

No
Yes

No
Yes

no
yes

No

YES YES WE ****ING DO SO STOP SPAMMING OR SHOVE THOSE STUPID ARROWS UP YOUR GOD DAMN ***
So I thought the original definition of a scrub had ceased to exist, but then I've come here to see it in the flesh.

All strategies are valid. You can dislike it, but you can also learn to deal with it. Your attitude towards them is the real toxicity.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*insert complaints about spam here*
Spam is the lowest level strategy and it means that they are literally doing the same thing over and over again but you keep falling for it. If you don't adapt, of course you'll keep losing to it. If your character can't handle it, counterpick. Let me just run through some of things you mentioned.

-PK fire can be safely shielded and side stepped plus it gives Ness a decent amount of ending lag. Reflectors also work.

-Wario can be knocked off his bike by most characters' short hopped aerials and some can even reasonably grab him off it. A good number of projectiles can do this too.

-Pacman can be shieldgrabbed out of his pellet string and also punished on the landing lag. You can also hit the head pellet to stop the move completely.

-The projectiles you mentioned can still be shielded, side stepped, reflected, jumped over, or even ducked under.

Nilly00

Smash Rookie
These things are mildly annoying at worst. They are easily defeated strategies. If these things anger you so much, maybe competitive smash isn't for you.
So I thought the original definition of a scrub had ceased to exist, but then I've come here to see it in the flesh.

All strategies are valid. You can dislike it, but you can also learn to deal with it. Your attitude towards them is the real toxicity.
Spam is the lowest level strategy and it means that they are literally doing the same thing over and over again but you keep falling for it. If you don't adapt, of course you'll keep losing to it. If your character can't handle it, counterpick. Let me just run through some of things you mentioned.

-PK fire can be safely shielded and side stepped plus it gives Ness a decent amount of ending lag. Reflectors also work.

-Wario can be knocked off his bike by most characters' short hopped aerials and some can even reasonably grab him off it. A good number of projectiles can do this too.

-Pacman can be shieldgrabbed out of his pellet string and also punished on the landing lag. You can also hit the head pellet to stop the move completely.

-The projectiles you mentioned can still be shielded, side stepped, reflected, jumped over, or even ducked under.
i usually dont lose to these as im most of the time playing kirby and can manuver him around spam easily i only lose if im playing for fun like when im using dedede
but thats the point fighting a spammer isnt fun most of the time i end up trolling them to death by remainingt stationary and perfect shielding everything
but it´s not fun neither do you learn anything so whats the point?
i want to either have a fun match or an intense match where i have to get out everything and might still lose but at least i learn smth

again i dont complain about loosing i complain about the average "FOR GLORY PLAYER"
i am not salty in any form just really really really annoyed

Machii

Smash Apprentice
The thing with For Glory is that it is limited to Final Destination. The largest non-eight player stage, that just so happens to have no platforms... It is ideal for projectiles. You can spam projectiles while running to the other side of the screen and stay far from your opponent, but your opponent can also stand still and spam shield with absolutely no progress. The only reason this strategy works whatsoever is that non-spamming players actually desire to play the game as intended while projectile spammers do not. It is clearly an exploit that would in no way hold up in actual competitive play, where there are rules limiting stage selection to once per win, per player. You might win one game out of three only because you yourself cannot pick Final Destination after you have won a round on it.

Machii

Smash Apprentice

Remember when Meta-Knight was banned by the community?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The thing with For Glory is that it is limited to Final Destination. The largest non-eight player stage, that just so happens to have no platforms... It is ideal for projectiles. You can spam projectiles while running to the other side of the screen and stay far from your opponent, but your opponent can also stand still and spam shield with absolutely no progress. The only reason this strategy works whatsoever is that non-spamming players actually desire to play the game as intended while projectile spammers do not. It is clearly an exploit that would in no way hold up in actual competitive play, where there are rules limiting stage selection to once per win, per player. You might win one game out of three only because you yourself cannot pick Final Destination after you have won a round on it.
I ultra disagree that FD/omega stages are good for projectile spammers. That gives them nowhere to hide. I think platforms are tremendously useful as they offer more ways to spam.

It's weird to even talk about this. Do you actually run into players like this? I play a lot of For Glory, and I can think of... one or two... opponents since the game has come out who would literally run to the far corner and resume shooting projectiles. I can't think of many explanations for that. I'm in a region with few spammers...? I'm so aggressive that many would-be spammers don't get a chance to start that pattern...? I mean, they're not hard or even "frustrating" to deal with. A power shield or two followed by a hard read and the match doesn't last long... If you run into these players, record them and put them onto YouTube. I wanna see how bad it is.

Remember when Meta-Knight was banned by the community?
There is a big big difference between "I don't like dealing with this" and "doing this is an auto-win against 99% of opponents".

Last edited:

odis

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Odis
3DS FC
3883-6864-7340
Lol if you are winning by spamming the same move over and over again you aren't learning anything and you will end up losing once you get a good player. It's that simple. Spammers are super punishable and they don't teach you anything. I usually stay in in order to beat them over and over again until they hopefully learn a new strat or rage quit.

Nilly00

Smash Rookie
A power shield or two followed by a hard read and the match doesn't
you ever tried powershielding when the game runs at 2 frames per minute?
or when the input delay is over 18 frames?? try that and then we talk about powershielding again

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
you ever tried powershielding when the game runs at 2 frames per minute?
or when the input delay is over 18 frames?? try that and then we talk about powershielding again
You have much bigger problems than spamming opponents if you're experiencing this kind of lag. Please just stop playing For Glory. You'll be much happier.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Very much this.

There was one person who changed to Bayo against me when I first started playing as her (which, to be honest, wasnt really until post-patch). He bodied me the first few times but I ended up taking away things I didnt think she could do, and eventually I went from s*** to going about even with him. Even today, I fought probably the best Shulk I've ever fought and, like a Saiyan, I got better with every loss until eventually I beat him a few times in a row before it turned into a back and fourth. My win rate is about 69% on there because when I'm not killing myself because the lag is unbearable I'm fully receptive to getting bodied for the sake of getting better.

Probably gonna give Anthers Ladder a try eventually.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Very much this.

There was one person who changed to Bayo against me when I first started playing as her (which, to be honest, wasnt really until post-patch). He bodied me the first few times but I ended up taking away things I didnt think she could do, and eventually I went from s*** to going about even with him. Even today, I fought probably the best Shulk I've ever fought and, like a Saiyan, I got better with every loss until eventually I beat him a few times in a row before it turned into a back and fourth. My win rate is about 69% on there because when I'm not killing myself because the lag is unbearable I'm fully receptive to getting bodied for the sake of getting better.

Probably gonna give Anthers Ladder a try eventually.
I'm fine with someone ditto'ing me if they're legitimately better than me. I have learned things from those matches. That's simply the minority of cases for me. My opponent tries to ditto me and show me how "cheap" the character is (usually spamming one good move over and over). It's that kind of situation where it's just dumb and disrespectful. Like, are you gonna try and actually beat me? Or you just trying to make me feel bad?

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I never understood the Link spam hate. Link is a terrible projectile zoner. He can't kill with them unlike Samus, and he's slow.

I also happen to like Marth dittos, fighting Cloud with most any of my chars, and long walks on the beach omega.

I play my fair share of Link, but I rarely go all projectiles except vs Ike.

Taunts are appropriate after a respawn, to acknowledge dittos, same-franchise fights, and cool kills. Dash dancing or the double crouch in response say, "c'mon let's fight".

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
i usually dont lose to these as im most of the time playing kirby and can manuver him around spam easily i only lose if im playing for fun like when im using dedede
but thats the point fighting a spammer isnt fun most of the time i end up trolling them to death by remainingt stationary and perfect shielding everything
but it´s not fun neither do you learn anything so whats the point?
i want to either have a fun match or an intense match where i have to get out everything and might still lose but at least i learn smth

again i dont complain about loosing i complain about the average "FOR GLORY PLAYER"
i am not salty in any form just really really really annoyed
Bro, take it from me, and I know this is pretty late, but Kirby just doesn't work that well on FD. He needs platform stages like Battlefield and Dreamland 64 because of his incredibly awesome U-Throw option. Kirby has plenty of good things about him (solid combo game in early and mid percents, fantastic throw combos, solid edge guarding game), but he also has plenty of flaws (incredibly slow air game, easily edge guarded, extremely light weight), and FD highlights this because he doesn't have platforms to benefit from.

I highly suggest having a secondary for Kirby. I personally go for :4megaman: (even though he and Kirby are co-mains), because Megs' spacing options help him in really tough MUs for Kirby like Sonic, Luigi, Cloud, Marth, etc. There are other options, and I recommend that if you're going to get into competitive Smash.

Top Bottom