• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Using the Pair up mechanic is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. People keep bringing it up, but it makes no sense whatsoever. Switching is confirmed to be out, and it'd be insanely difficult to program right. Ice Climbers were ALREADY having trouble coming back.

I would actually much rather Chrom as a newcomer than Roy as a returning veteran. I am not sure if others would agree, but both are redundant characters either way, might as well have the most ideal one that people actually like based on Fire Emblem and not Smash.
The difference is they can update Roy a bit to be more unique, and it'd represent older FE universes as well. Plus I think most people would agree they'd rather bring back a redundant character than add yet another redundant character.

If Chrom is the main rep, Roy's not coming back at all, no way, no how. If Robin is the rep, I could see Sakurai wanting to bring Roy back.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm just saying that it makes sense because FE:A focusing a lot on the pairing mechanic, and I think Sakurai might incorporate that to make the characters unique. Also, I don't really see it as "Transforming" as "Switching". As Transforming implies you switch to a completely separate character, while this would be switching on the battle field while that character is still there. That's just how I see it, we just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm just saying that it makes sense in what context the game is in, and I think Sakurai might incorporate that to make the characters unique. Also, I don't really see it as "Transforming" as "Switching". As Transforming implies you switch to a completely separate character, while this would be switching on the battle field while that character is still there. That's just how I see it, we just have to wait and see.
The difference between transforming and switching is negligible if it still causes the character to alternate between two entirely different move sets. That's the reason they removed transformations in the first place, so adding in a character who does the same thing but just calling it "switching" wouldn't solve the issue.

Also, programming issues.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm just saying that it makes sense because FE:A focusing a lot on the pairing mechanic, and I think Sakurai might incorporate that to make the characters unique. Also, I don't really see it as "Transforming" as "Switching". As Transforming implies you switch to a completely separate character, while this would be switching on the battle field while that character is still there. That's just how I see it, we just have to wait and see.
The Pair Up mechanic is central to Awakening. NOT to the series as a whole. We don't need the Pair Up mechanic, and we certainly don't need a paired up character again since we've got Ice Climbers. Who, again, were already incredibly difficult to program on 3DS. This "Pair Up" mechanic would be even more difficult, and the ONLY reason people bring it up is for more representation to Awakening.

We don't need more representation to Awakening. Isn't one character, a stage, and a whole slew of music selection enough? We need representation for the series as a whole, and Robin, using magic and tactics represents Fire Emblem far better than the Pair Up mechanic.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The difference between transforming and switching is negligible if it still causes the character to alternate between two entirely different move sets. That's the reason they removed transformations in the first place, so adding in a character who does the same thing but just calling it "switching" wouldn't solve the issue.

Also, programming issues.
The Pair Up mechanic is central to Awakening. NOT to the series as a whole. We don't need the Pair Up mechanic, and we certainly don't need a paired up character again since we've got Ice Climbers. Who, again, were already incredibly difficult to program on 3DS. This "Pair Up" mechanic would be even more difficult, and the ONLY reason people bring it up is for more representation to Awakening.

We don't need more representation to Awakening. Isn't one character, a stage, and a whole slew of music selection enough? We need representation for the series as a whole, and Robin, using magic and tactics represents Fire Emblem far better than the Pair Up mechanic.
To be fair the programming this happened like a year ago, and stuff could have happened to allow them to do this. And Rosalina is clearly more high-tech than Ice Climbers. So I think it is still a possibility.

I'm not sure what you are saying about it not being present in the whole series. The thing that it is present in Awakening is the only thing that matters if the characters are from that game. Awakening is the highest selling Fire Emblem game, so I think it would make sense to promote it. Also as I stated before that Sakurai might have gotten past the issue when they revealed Rosalina. I'm just saying it is a possibility.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I've said this a couple of pages ago:
However, there could still be a possibility for a Robin/Chrom Team-up: One where the team-up is mostly cosmetic. One of the two is on the battlefield and the other one in the background, similiar to Pokémon Trainer. The specific moves are always perfomed by the same character, maybe with slightly changed effects based on weither the character was currently on the battlefield or on the sidelines, and switching is done by perfoming that character's attacks.
I actually quite like that idea now that I think about it, but I'd still rather see Robin alone because of all the potential he/she has and have the team-up be represented by a special counter or something.
And in case you didn't quite get what I wanted to say in that quote (as I wasn't exactly using the clearest language):
There are no two movesets. Every move is bound to one character, and using that move brings them to the front if they aren't already. There MIGHT be small differences depending on who was out at the time the attack was perfomed but that isn't even necessary. Now that being said...

I'd MUCH rather see them seperated since I like them both and think they would deserve their own slots, but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Using the Pair Up mechanic to get in more characters from Awakening is like using Pokemon Trainer to try and get in more Pokemon. Its a waste. It takes away development time that could be used for something else. Can't we just have a fully unique original character and another separate semi-clone? I think its pointless to add another team-up mechanic when we already got one, especially when the characters would just be semi-clones of Ike and Marth already just paired up.

Out of the question? No, but completely and totally pointless.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've said this a couple of pages ago:

And in case you didn't quite get what I wanted to say in that quote (as I wasn't exactly using the clearest language):
There are no two movesets. Every move is bound to one character, and using that move brings them to the front if they aren't already. There MIGHT be small differences depending on who was out at the time the attack was perfomed but that isn't even necessary. Now that being said...

I'd MUCH rather see them seperated since I like them both and think they would deserve their own slots, but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.
I agree. I'm just saying that there is a potential moveset. Like as you said a special counter where Chrom/Robin can block the attack like you do in Awakening when paired up, it seems like it could work.

Using the Pair Up mechanic to get in more characters from Awakening is like using Pokemon Trainer to try and get in more Pokemon. Its a waste. It takes away development time that could be used for something else. Can't we just have a fully unique original character and another separate semi-clone? I think its pointless to add another team-up mechanic when we already got one, especially when the characters would just be semi-clones of Ike and Marth already just paired up.

Out of the question? No, but completely and totally pointless.
I don't really see it as a waste if you can make something unique out of it, and for it to be fun to play as.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
First off, while I am okay with people disagreeing with GamerGuy09, sometimes I think the way it is being handled is rude and rather harsh. I don't think he is a delicate creature, but I like the Robin thread because we have been mostly kind thus far.

That aside, I'll state that I think I think a pair up is an EXCELLENT character idea. To address some points:

1) "Robin doesn't need to be with Chrom to be interesting"
Of course not. You could theoretically have every lord in the game and they could have wholly unique fighting styles. The thing is, there is still a lot of value in a potential unique fighting style that is far unlike any other. For example, if your special button calls the other character to assist while you still have control over the active character, there is a realm of combo potential that no character has. For example, if a character has a multi-hitting attack, you can call in the supporting character to induce more hitstun to continue the combo. Not even Rosaluma is like this. Of course Robin will work just fine alone, but I think there is even more potential in this fighting style and she could be an even greater character.

2) "Pair up was just a one game thing"
Yeah, it was. Does that matter? Smash Bros has tons of one-offs and things based on just one game. We have two characters, Ness and Lucas, from a series that is DEAD to the developer. Also, even though I think this argument was already insignificant, it's not the only one. The pair up system itself represents the support system. The close bond between your characters has been a flagship feature of Fire Emblem for over a decade now. It represents a more physical aspect of the support system that has been there for ages.

That said, while it is a cool idea, it is not going to happen.
I would say that the developer has alluded to trouble with CPU limitations, and I think this has played a part in the lack of transformations as much as design philosophy itself. In theory they could hope people play no more than two Robins on simple stages, but that is not going to happen. They are going to prepare for the worst of everything... four Robins all calling in Chroms to assist, on a transforming stage, with physics-intensive assets bouncing around... just about everything to fry that poor chipset of the 3DS and cause massive frame drop. There are lots of ways on the graphics side to reduce strain on that front, such as what they are doing with Pokemon and Assist Trophies, but the CPU issues remain.

And no, Luma and Pikmin are unfortunately not at all an equal comparison. Their bodies are simplistic and have very few joints. Pikmin have very "skippy" animation movements. They have very few joints and have very basic collision protocol (IE they don't need to calculate for bounce) for a reason. Luma, on the other hand, is clearly cheating out collision entirely, which was a smart decision. The Luma deliberately has a large terrain pushbox as to not have to deal with a lot of CPU strain on ramps and stuff. The movements of the asset largely relies on very basic distortions and the faces are largely replaced on the spot to allow for expression.

That said, from a technical standpoint, it is still possible from my knowledge, but I won't understand everything going on with the game without having had time to play and study it myself. I would not doubt that the pairing system would be the first thing to come to mind for a character if Sakurai were to play the game, but if it doesn't show up in Smash Bros, it didn't show up for a very good reason.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
We wouldn't be able to have Grima be Robin's final smash if the pair system was enabled either. :p

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Wow, I entirely forgot how freakin FAST melee is.

Said it before, here again for the new crowd:
A Grima Final Smash would easily look cool, but I feel it'd be kinda out of character considering they tried to prevent exactly that in the last part of the game and Robin severing his connection to Grima by THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP is what makes him/her survive inevitable death in the end.

Invisible Ties would be cooler and much more thematic for Robin. Especially if team-ups aren't represented otherwise at all.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I wouldn't mind Robin being possessed, myself.

This is a fighting game before it is a fanfic, after all. I like when they go with a portfolio that tries to represent as much of the character's story as they can in a narrow window that is a character slot. There is really no other character on the roster right now with an affliction quite like Robin, and I think the general public would find it really cool to see some darker characters.

It's something I wouldn't say has to be a core feature, but could affect taunts, elongated idle poses, final smash, the intro cinematic, etc. Things like that. Just Robin's eyes going red and some dark fire hanging off of her being... people would dig that kind of stuff.

I mean gosh. What if Ganondorf showed up with the Master Sword in his head? :b How can Ike have the Ragnell before his class change? Of course it is a Ganondorf who is quite lively and Ike who could have simply changed clothes, but there is no need to be so technical.

It would be a different matter entirely if I felt Robin had something she never had. For example, i am not too keen about what they did with the Mother series characters having signature moves of other characters. I don't think that was necessary since I can think of ways their own PK ability pool could accomplish all of the same feats, though I suppose that makes me just as picky.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Even though Robin cannot use Dark Magic as a Tactician, I would love for it to be incorporated in her move set. It would be a way to represent the connection to Grima, and it will probably look pretty amazing too. Though, I could live without it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Even though Robin cannot use Dark Magic as a Tactician, I would love for it to be incorporated in her move set. It would be a way to represent the connection to Grima, and it will probably look pretty amazing too. Though, I could live without it.
I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for Robin to have some sort of Dark Mafic based moves. At the very least, they could give Robin a move based on something like Vengeance or Lifetaker for some Dark Magic stuff that isn't technically Dark Magic.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
*Looks at Avatar*

Okay I guess....I prefer mine with Green hair, it is just preference man.
And I prefer mine with Brown. :p

But seriously, I expect 4 costumes for Robin, just like the Villager.

EDIT: If he gets in, that is.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
On a serious note, while we see Robin fall under dark control within like the first minute of the game, the connection with Grima is established within the first half, no? Not that bad of a spoiler.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I think it's only hinted at when Grima in Robin form shows up. I don't think it's outright stated though, but I might be wrong.

I love how this thread can go from serious discussion to light harded joking and back on a dime.

Hong

The Strongest
Maybe Robin's reveal trailer should involve him/her killing Chrom.
The implications this has on Chrom fans and supporters who would get hyped if they saw Chrom in the trailer and thought the trailer was for him.

Pure, unadulterated, schadenfreude.

Hey, folks. Everything in the trailer will be in the game, just like with Greninja. Dead Chrom confirmed for Assist Trophy. :troll:

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The implications this has on Chrom fans and supporters who would get hyped if they saw Chrom in the trailer and thought the trailer was for him.

Poor, unadulterated, schadenfreude.

Hey, folks. Everything in the trailer will be in the game, just like with Greninja. Dead Chrom confirmed for Assist Trophy. :troll:
That would be... interesting, but I'd laugh.

Top Bottom