• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh man I dissappear for a day and this place has like 2 new pages ._.

Matsu you need to find a way of coming to meltdown, I got drunk, lost to scrubs (because I was drunk) and then hung out with eve and discussed the hottest people in the community. It was great.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Its 10 am in the states in a thread predominantly occupied by Americans, why the thread is acting slow at this hour should not surprise you.
It does surprise me. Even at school, people are active here...now it's scurry

Matsushi

True Blood
Matsu you need to find a way of coming to meltdown, I got drunk, lost to scrubs (because I was drunk) and then hung out with eve and discussed the hottest people in the community. It was great.
Well, I am under 18.

Will they perhaps be flexible if I attended with my 21 y/o sister? I'd love to go one day after watching yesterday's stream. :dr^_^:

And your Ike is frightening.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I just saw the most messed up movie I had ever saw in Philosophy. I had never heard of this movie before and I wished it stayed that way.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Man, this cold I have SUCKS!

I feel like death.
I just saw the most messed up movie I had ever saw in Philosophy. I had never heard of this movie before and I wished it stayed that way.
What movie, pray tell?

Nah

Smash Champion
Ok so.....out of the 8 replays I had saved from my matches yesterday with Gemneye Gemneye only TWO of them were short enough to upload to Youtube (Nintendo why 3 minute limit ;-; ). And the 2 that I did upload were not really the best ones for critiquing purposes since those were the only matches where he used Roy and Fox and I take it he's much less familiar with them than he is with Robin and Marth (also I feel that Delfino Plaza kinda screwed him out of a stock). The ones where I was Falco, or he was Marf, or the Robin dittos would've been way better. But I did send you one of each of those Gemneye so you should at least be able to review those yourself (iiiiif you didn't save them yesterday). I'm still going to post those 2 with Roy/Fox though in the hopes that maybe everyone else can maybe provide something useful from them.....

still hate Roy's Fsmash

I think this one does show a little bit what I said yesterday about how he's kinda good with pivots

Also Create Highlight Reel kinda sucks, I tried using it hoping it'd cut a video down to just under 3 minutes and still be somewhat useable......it made it 50 seconds long fml

Anyway, now that I've watched them I can give you some feedback, mainly from the replays that I wanted to post.
The first thing is Jab. You use it an awful lot with :4marth: but less so with :4robinf:. The Falchion's jab is good to set-up guessing games, but is kinda not great outside of that. You wanna use Ftilt/Dtilt more. Robin's jab on the other hand is one of the best in the game and is one of her best options at close range; it's sweet, disjointed, frame 4, damage racking+killing, frame trap goodness. Her tilts on the other hands are sub-par. It hurt you in particular when I was using :4falco:. Falco is a fastfaller, and Wind Jab annihilates fastfallers, which you can see in the Fox video above (I got like 25% offa one of those). I think you only ever used Wind Jab on me like once, and then you kinda held it too long and I was able to slip out before the final slash. I'm not 100% sure this is how Robin is supposed to deal with the bird man, but I'm pretty the basic idea to fight him is to try and keep him out since his mobility is very average, and capitalize on mistakes with Wind Jab and the Levin sword. While he's not :4fox:,:4luigi:, etc, Falco is still skilled in hand to hand combat and that's where Robin loses in the matchup (his Jab is also frame 2). It can be a little hard to zone him out because Blaster and Reflector (and admittedly I maybe should've tried to pester Cardinal with those to try and get him to approach instead of trying to rush him but oh well), but it's still very much do-able.

There was also your usage of throws. You're fairly good at getting grabs, but the problem was what you did after the grab. Marth and Lucina's throws are weak and offer little reward, but you can get more out of it with their above average pummel (if you remember the Lucina vs. Dedede match, I almost always pummeled you a bit before throwing). And with Robin you seemed to be awfully slow at following up on D-throw and/or would do the wrong follow-up. Though I sometimes use the wrong follow-up too, so....

The one other thing that stood out to me was that I don't remember you ever really attempting to edge guard. It's not as easy as some people make it out to be *cough*thatoneguyinthegeneralcompetitivethread*cough*. Some characters aren't exactly suited to off-stage edge guarding/deal with your (get up) options much better on stage, and some characters you just don't bother trying because it's a low chance you'll do anything significant. But there are some simple things you can do with Robin and Marth to at least edge guard a little, which should help a bit, like dropping an Arcfire or two at the ledge, trying to hit them with Elwind off stage, run off Faris/Baris, etc. You also would sometimes over-read/over-anticipate my get up and try to preemptively hit me (and honestly I sorta do the same thing with Elwind anti-juggles) and I was able to get a few punishes from that.

.....that's all I got, there may be more to it than that, my assessment may not be entirely accurate, but I hope it helps a bit.

Tomb of the Giants sucks

Last edited:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
An R rated movie about desperate college students doing stupid stuff and wasting their lives away in the pursuit of having "fun."
Atleast you didn't take a beat poetry and creative writing classes once like I did and watch movies like eraserhead, naked lunch and Howl. Those movies were weeeeeeeeeird.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Atleast you didn't take a beat poetry and creative writing classes once like I did and watch movies like eraserhead, naked lunch and Howl. Those movies were weeeeeeeeeird.
I've never heard of any of those movies. How could any of them top Spring Breakers in weirdness?

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
I've never heard of any of those movies. How could any of them top Spring Breakers in weirdness?
Naked lunch features a dude whose constantly hallucinating about bugs and at one point smashes a typewriter because he thinks its a giant beetle.
Howl is normal at times but I'm a pleb who doesn't understand beat poetry.
Eraserhead is just an acid-trip and I was extremely uncomfortable watching it.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Dunno if any of you guys heard it before but.. rumors of a TLoZ: TP HD remake for the WIIU has been popping up recently and Gameexplain made a video about what to do with the remake if it ever becomes a thing.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Dunno if any of you guys heard it before but.. rumors of a TLoZ: TP HD remake for the WIIU has been popping up recently and Gameexplain made a video about what to do with the remake if it ever becomes a thing.
I've heard rumors that there would be a Twilight Princess remake before. What makes this one any different?

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I've heard rumors that there would be a Twilight Princess remake before. What makes this one any different?
Apparently, this time. It was leaked on the Nintendo E-Shop with the filename labeled "Twilight Princess HD" and it uses the TP boxart for the icon. Sadly, GameExplain didn't show the post of where the rumor came from so I couldn't tell the credibility of that but it'd be neat if TP HD is a thing despite the game's terrible flaws
Hello there and Welcome to the Robin Boards.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
If there ever is a Twilight Princess HD remake I'd love it if they ampted the difficulty.

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Ok so.....out of the 8 replays I had saved from my matches yesterday with Gemneye Gemneye only TWO of them were short enough to upload to Youtube (Nintendo why 3 minute limit ;-; ). And the 2 that I did upload were not really the best ones for critiquing purposes since those were the only matches where he used Roy and Fox and I take it he's much less familiar with them than he is with Robin and Marth (also I feel that Delfino Plaza kinda screwed him out of a stock). The ones where I was Falco, or he was Marf, or the Robin dittos would've been way better. But I did send you one of each of those Gemneye so you should at least be able to review those yourself (iiiiif you didn't save them yesterday). I'm still going to post those 2 with Roy/Fox though in the hopes that maybe everyone else can maybe provide something useful from them.....

still hate Roy's Fsmash

I think this one does show a little bit what I said yesterday about how he's kinda good with pivots

Also Create Highlight Reel kinda sucks, I tried using it hoping it'd cut a video down to just under 3 minutes and still be somewhat useable......it made it 50 seconds long fml

Anyway, now that I've watched them I can give you some feedback, mainly from the replays that I wanted to post.
The first thing is Jab. You use it an awful lot with :4marth: but less so with :4robinf:. The Falchion's jab is good to set-up guessing games, but is kinda not great outside of that. You wanna use Ftilt/Dtilt more. Robin's jab on the other hand is one of the best in the game and is one of her best options at close range; it's sweet, disjointed, frame 4, damage racking+killing, frame trap goodness. Her tilts on the other hands are sub-par. It hurt you in particular when I was using :4falco:. Falco is a fastfaller, and Wind Jab annihilates fastfallers, which you can see in the Fox video above (I got like 25% offa one of those). I think you only ever used Wind Jab on me like once, and then you kinda held it too long and I was able to slip out before the final slash. I'm not 100% sure this is how Robin is supposed to deal with the bird man, but I'm pretty the basic idea to fight him is to try and keep him out since his mobility is very average, and capitalize on mistakes with Wind Jab and the Levin sword. While he's not :4fox:,:4luigi:, etc, Falco is still skilled in hand to hand combat and that's where Robin loses in the matchup (his Jab is also frame 2). It can be a little hard to zone him out because Blaster and Reflector (and admittedly I maybe should've tried to pester Cardinal with those to try and get him to approach instead of trying to rush him but oh well), but it's still very much do-able.

There was also your usage of throws. You're fairly good at getting grabs, but the problem was what you did after the grab. Marth and Lucina's throws are weak and offer little reward, but you can get more out of it with their above average pummel (if you remember the Lucina vs. Dedede match, I almost always pummeled you a bit before throwing). And with Robin you seemed to be awfully slow at following up on D-throw and/or would do the wrong follow-up. Though I sometimes use the wrong follow-up too, so....

The one other thing that stood out to me was that I don't remember you ever really attempting to edge guard. It's not as easy as some people make it out to be *cough*thatoneguyinthegeneralcompetitivethread*cough*. Some characters aren't exactly suited to off-stage edge guarding/deal with your (get up) options much better on stage, and some characters you just don't bother trying because it's a low chance you'll do anything significant. But there are some simple things you can do with Robin and Marth to at least edge guard a little, which should help a bit, like dropping an Arcfire or two at the ledge, trying to hit them with Elwind off stage, run off Faris/Baris, etc. You also would sometimes over-read/over-anticipate my get up and try to preemptively hit me (and honestly I sorta do the same thing with Elwind anti-juggles) and I was able to get a few punishes from that.

.....that's all I got, there may be more to it than that, my assessment may not be entirely accurate, but I hope it helps a bit.

Tomb of the Giants sucks
So I've pretty much read everything, but I'll do a complete reply after I get back from school today. I had a feelings a lot of those matches were above 3 minutes... lol.

yeedede

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaressMyThighs
gp more llike free-p hahha

its fine bc you are the hottest in the community

also hello mr devito I loved matilda

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
So I went to TCEG con in Alberta to volunteer and play/enter in the Smash4 tournament.

On a whim I decided to play Robin the whole event, mainly due to Robin being one of the characters I've wanted to main since the release trailer. I was actually really pleased with how Robin performed and I did surprisingly well with a character I've hardly used. Placing 13th out of 120 entrants. I've decided to put my focus into sharpening my strategist and putting my ZSS on standby.

So, I might be around every once in a while.

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
We're the 3 Wolves! As you can tell from my sig, I support Wolf for DLC as well! (ignoredaisyimsosrrydx)
Awesome.:wolf:

I don't have a problem with Daisy.

Feel free to stop by the Wolf 4 DLC thread if you want your name on the support list (or I can do it myself) or just to hang out.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I just realized something. If FE 12 sold as well as Awakening did/sakurai liked him enough, the FE12 MUnit would've been in smash.
I dunno. The default FE12 avatar is just an ordinary mercenary, I could only see him going the way of Chrom (being dismissed because of being "just another swordsman"), unless they were to somehow incorporate reclassing into his moveset.

Top Bottom