• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Good guess, but nope.

It's really because, in my OCD paradigm, I divide things based on "bad things" and "good things". I have to avoid bad things and good things are causes for celebration; thus I get anxious if I encounter a bad thing and have to take steps to correct it, and a good thing reaffirms my confidence. It's totally arbitrary and irrational, but that's how it's always been for me.

An example would be finding a penny: I collect pennies that I find on the ground, but it depends on which way they're facing. It has to be heads-up if I'm going to keep it, and I carry a penny with me at all times that I use as a basis for determining if I ought to do something - if it comes up heads, it means it's okay to do.*

* Before anybody says anything, yes, just like Two-Face.

With my writing, I'm always afraid I'll slip up and somehow get the notion that something I do is associated with a bad thing, or will become a bad thing; so I consciously avoid doing it so I don't have to go through the frustration of scrapping it altogether. On the other hand, sometimes something I write becomes associated with a good thing, or itself becomes a good thing - this can lead to be excessively focusing on that particular element, often to the detriment of variety in my work.

To clarify, I'd say 99% of things in my life are neutral: it's a very, very small subset of things that falls into my OCD paradigm, but I'm always consciously alert for such things. It's why I'm afraid to write something in case I don't like it or associate it with negative emotions, which, as an OCD sufferer, are very difficult to dissuade. On the other hand, I cling onto good things and try to optimise my daily routine with things that I know will either improve or at least sate my OCD tendencies. I'm taking steps to address this, but right now, it's making my career as an aspiring writer very difficult. And that's that~
So basically, you're saying that you're afraid that someone out there might misinterpret what you said and take it negatively? I used to feel like that when I was new here, since I'm not a native English speaker, was constantly afraid that what I said might be taken the wrong way.

The only way to overcome it is to swallow your fear and write it out, and let others judge. And honestly, you ARE very proficient in English, so the chance of it being misinterpreted is vanishingly small. Once good reception starts rolling in, you'll feel at ease. The biggest problem with this approach is that you might feel horribly depressed if someone does object to something. For me, it took a whole day to get over it when it happened once here.

It's a slow process of desensitising yourself from that fear. I'm not sure if counselling helps or not, as though services are almost non-existent where I live, regrettably.

:231:

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Huh. Sorry about that; what you were describing sounded a lot like what someone else I knew was going through, and in their case it was an environment/feedback issue. Soon as they got out of that, their confidence and creativity increased significantly.

What you're describing doesn't sound very fun, sorry to hear you're having trouble with that. Seems like you've got a pretty good head about you though, and I hope you find a way to make your dream happen despite the challenges you face!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So basically, you're saying that you're afraid that someone out there might misinterpret what you said and take it negatively? I used to feel like that when I was new here, since I'm not a native English speaker, was constantly afraid that what I said might be taken the wrong way.

The only way to overcome it is to swallow your fear and write it out, and let others judge. And honestly, you ARE very proficient in English, so the chance of it being misinterpreted is vanishingly small. Once good reception starts rolling in, you'll feel at ease. The biggest problem with this approach is that you might feel horribly depressed if someone does object to something. For me, it took a whole day to get over it when it happened once here.

It's a slow process of desensitising yourself from that fear. I'm not sure if counselling helps or not, as though services are almost non-existent where I live, regrettably.

Oh, no, I mean I may associate it with something negative and feel like I have to scrap that element of my work. I can usually get around it and mitigate any negative feelings, but excessive emphasis on imagined outcomes and difficulty eliminating conscious doubts are both innate symptoms of OCD.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh, no, I mean I may associate it with something negative and feel like I have to scrap that element of my work. I can usually get around it and mitigate any negative feelings, but excessive emphasis on imagined outcomes and difficulty eliminating conscious doubts are both innate symptoms of OCD.
Oh. For that, I do think you should see a counsellor. Does anyone nearby you share your interest in writing? Maybe they can help.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Wind Jab

All this time I thought you were a chore
Never knowing your beauty
But Sakurai has made it his duty
To make you something more

You are an element of the sky
A reliable way
To keep my enemies at bay
And now kill with the percentage high

At past we suffer
Slowness and broken tomes
Offstage were not our homes
So we had to be tougher

My fellow tacticians
sometimes we are in hell
at ourselves we yell
But we all have our missions

Building yourself is hard
Ruining yourself is easy
We received a blessing
Now we have a trump card

I am not alone
which gives me power
Search for someone even a clone
And you may lift a tower

Now it is time
to tip the scales
together we shall climb
the big trails

We Robins shall be there for each other.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh. For that, I do think you should see a counsellor. Does anyone nearby you share your interest in writing? Maybe they can help.

My aunt is a counsellor and my father is a self-help expert with a particular interest in neurobiological therapy. My college has a Writers' Society that I've been involved in for four years now.

I have a lot of help. It's my own insecurities that are preventing me from progressing towards anything meaningful.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Have you had the chance to play Lucina much since the patch? I was wondering if there were any strong impressions coming in yet on whether her minor damage buffs will amount to anything.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Have you had the chance to play Lucina much since the patch? I was wondering if there were any strong impressions coming in yet on whether her minor damage buffs will amount to anything.
I have, though I'd have to analyze the buffs in a much more detailed scenario to say whether it really means anything.

For what it's worth, I do find killing with a Fsmash easier.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Hey fellow tacticians. Haven't been here in a week. What's been going on?
Robin got some meaningful changes yesterday! I'll fill you in on the important ones.

Jab 1 -> Jab 2 has less knockback. This matters because...

Fire Jab ender is now less reliable; some characters can fall out to the ground after Jab 2 at low percentages and shield the Fire Jab.

Wind Jab ender is now more reliable (not infalliable, Marth and Mewtwo seem to still escape pretty easily), including its final hit. In many cases this now means you can spend 1 of your 18 Elwind shots to do 16% damage total off a Jab 1 opening... and some characters stay in the Wind Jab at high percentages, leading to a KO around 115-140%. Sheik for example seems vulnerable to this. The same Jab 2 change that messed up Fire Jab seems to be helping Wind Jab. So this is basically a nerf and buff but the buff outweighs the nerf in most (not all) matchups.

F-Tilt hitboxes improved. You can still deadzone it in some cases (I've heard reports of Marth walking into an adjacent Robin still causing it to whiff), but it does hit adjacent foes more reliably now.

Books can now be caught even if they land on a platform, making stages like Battlefield better for Robin.

Female Robin on Wii U now has proper warning-flash on a Levin Sword that is about to be discarded.

Thoron appears to have a knockback nerf; preliminary testing suggests it now kills about 10-15% later than it used to.

So basically we ate a Thoron and Fire Jab nerf, but in return gained easier book usage on platform stages, a kill move against some (not all) characters, proper Levin warnings, and f-tilt is safer to use due to its improved hitbox vs. adjacent foes making pivot f-tilts more worthwhile now. Seems like a net benefit for Robin, and I'm happy about it.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Sorry for my general absence. I've been absolutely hooked onto Xenoblade right now. The game is insanely fun.

I haven't gotten the chance to get Mewtwo yet, nor have I played SSB since the patch. I've heard our guy/girl is buffed a bit, though.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Sorry for my general absence. I've been absolutely hooked onto Xenoblade right now. The game is insanely fun.

I haven't gotten the chance to get Mewtwo yet, nor have I played SSB since the patch. I've heard our guy/girl is buffed a bit, though.
Soon, you'll discover the Monado's true power! :4shulk:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
The Reign of Emperor Diddy the Hoo-Hah is over. May it not rest in peace.
The Reign of Emperor Diddy the Hoo-Hah may be over but mark my work words, more Hoo-Hahs will come to replace Diddy's. People be sleeping on the Almighty, Hallehoohah that hails from the Queendom of (custom) Palutena since only one well-known player plays her. And the Queendom of Hallehoohahs remain intact today, infinite lightweight glitch and all, despite the Great Purge known as the Mewtwo Patch.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Everyone should play Palutena now so the Lucas patch comes with Dyntos's Judgment to knock her down a few pegs as she justifiably deserves.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
That statement can be interpreted in two ways. Either you want the Hoo-hah to rise again from the grave, or you want it to suffer.
I hope it's the former.
It's the latter. I want it to suffer. I want it to languish in the deepest circles of Hell for 666 eternities.

Also:

HYPE!

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'd still like to know who these "friends" of Ike's are in smash. Assuming smash only friends.

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Talking about Wave 4 amiibos, someone from the Amiibos subreddit got Robin, Lucina, Charizard and Ness defective amiibos (Defective only because they lack a functioning chip to use in games and minor paint mistakes). I'll tell you, Robin in particular looks very nice, way better than in promotional pics.now, let's cry because we won't be able to ever get him
See the photos here.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Talking about Wave 4 amiibos, someone from the Amiibos subreddit got Robin, Lucina, Charizard and Ness defective amiibos (Defective only because they lack a functioning chip to use in games and minor paint mistakes). I'll tell you, Robin in particular looks very nice, way better than in promotional pics.now, let's cry because we won't be able to ever get him
See the photos here.
Robin and Lucina look great! Good, now even more reason to be angry over missing them- I can't even sour grapes it by saying their Amiibos look terrible.

Ness is very cute, too.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I didn't even bother with Wave 4 preorders. I kind of gave right up.

I'm just monitoring street dates and hoping I can beat someone to one on a shelf.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Great... Amiibos... @Weeman is there such a thing as a Larry the hedgehog amiibo? if there is you should show them here maybe I won't have to see my fellow tacticians cry over them.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The Wave 4 preorders have yet to resurface on my store's website, as is the case with Fire Emblem IF.

I still have mine secured, though.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Amazon Canada are already offering preorders for FE14. It also lists the release date as 31 December 2015, but that's probably just a placeholder/equivalent to "unspecified date in 2016".

Not as absurd as EB Games in Australia offering preorders on the NX, but still too early in my opinion.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I wish I didn't live near Berkeley...finding ones I want have been hard (especially since I can't drive).

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Wish I could do that. I totally would if I could. Nearest Amiibo retailer is a few hundred miles away, alas. (Yes, I live in a very remote area.)

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Amazon Canada are already offering preorders for FE14. It also lists the release date as 31 December 2015, but that's probably just a placeholder/equivalent to "unspecified date in 2016".
It's...odd, mostly because on the site it looks as if it's only one game, when we know that FE: if is to be split in two.
How can someone already preorder the game, then?:roll:

Top Bottom