• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Folt

Smash Ace
There was a quote in an old thread that was perfectly in line with what I'm trying to say, however much more elegantly, but I cannot find it.
My issue is, yes , people overreact to the roster, but similar, people also overreact to people overreacting to the roster.
Or even worse, they treat people who didn't get what they asked for like heathens or spoiled children.

When really, they just don't want to spend 60$ on a game they aren't happy with.
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith
I don't really care whether you spend 60$ on a game you're not happy with, or keep the money. I'm not telling you to be happy about what you got either. I'm giving my point of view on this and showing why people "would" be happy with the finished game, like how you're showing us why people may, in fact, not be happy about about how the game ended up.

Folt

Smash Ace
Pretty much this, especially considering that there are two versions of the game on different systems, which will vary in price.

Also, people who get off the devastation of fans when they find out that their favorite characters didn't get in, by posting insulting images or videos mocking their losses, are the scum of the earth.
Which would make a lot of the users here the scum of the earth.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Sakurai mostly just included the most popular characters, then Robin probably wouldn't be playable. :4gaw:
Pretty sure I remember reading that Robin was actually more wanted than Chrom, even before his/her confirmation. Most of expected that Chrom would get in, but that Robin was considered the more interesting choice by the fans who followed Fire Emblem.

Still, I get what you're saying.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Pretty sure I remember reading that Robin was actually more wanted than Chrom, even before his/her confirmation. Most of expected that Chrom would get in, but that Robin was considered the more interesting choice by the fans who followed Fire Emblem.
Lucina was more popular than either of them.
And speak of the devil, look who's here. :4lucina:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There was a quote in an old thread that was perfectly in line with what I'm trying to say, however much more elegantly, but I cannot find it.
My issue is, yes , people overreact to the roster, but similar, people also overreact to people overreacting to the roster.
Or even worse, they treat people who didn't get what they asked for like heathens or spoiled children.
Sorry for the brutal honesty, but it's hard to not call other people "spoiler children" when they act exactly as such.

When people say things like "OMG Sakurai sucks. This is the worst game ever because <insert wanted character here> isn't in the game."

Or, like I've unfortunately witnessed, outright wish death to Sakurai or wish he would be fired. Yes, that's sheer immaturity. Yes, that's overreaction. Yes, that's acting like a spoiled child.

You can disagree with Sakurai's decisions without throwing tantrums or badmouthing him. You can disagree with someone's decisions or opinions and still respect that person as a human being. Sakurai worked hard in this game. I think none of us could be capable of working like he did, of investing on a large scale project like he did. Even if we don't agree with whatever decisions he made, we should respect his professionalism and acknowledge his hard work.

Would you like it if none of my most wanted characters made in and I ranted nonstop on this forum, making myself look like a fool?

When really, they just don't want to spend 60$ on a game they aren't happy with.
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith
Whether other people like the game or a character or whatever or whether they don't, it's not my problem.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You are remarkably fired up for someone named Frostwraith. You're proving my point to a tee.
At this point I don't see a point in continuing anyway; I am just confirming what I already believed about the roster and these forums.

I once told @False Sense that the only way Mewtwo would be excluded from this game is Sakurai being a tremendous fool.
Well, Mewtwo isn't in this game, and I still think that Sakurai is a tremendous fool.
You can disagree all you want, but I'm resigned to believe that this game feels incomplete.

EDIT: And to be honest, I believe everyone on this forum is a spoiled brat about something. Maybe it isn't the roster, but they will always be found complaining about something.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Wow, this thread has gone so downhill.
It used to be so civil...

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah, I may have lost faith in Sakurai, but I'm still getting the 3DS version. There's still plenty of things in there that have made me hyped, like Robin, Smash Run, some of the stages, and the portability.

However, this is the last time I'm ever going to speculate in this series. There was just too much false hype brought about during the past year because of Sakurai's trolling.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You are remarkably fired up for someone named Frostwraith. You're proving my point to a tee.
At this point I don't see a point in continuing anyway; I am just confirming what I already believed about the roster and these forums.
I'm as calm as I usually am.

I just express my opinions on the most direct way as possible, so that I get my point across as clearly as possible.

The fact remains is that there's a good chunk of people here that act disgustingly immature here, which is jarring considering it's just a video game.

I once told @False Sense that the only way Mewtwo would be excluded from this game is Sakurai being a tremendous fool.
Well, Mewtwo isn't in this game, and I still think that Sakurai is a tremendous fool.
You can disagree all you want, but I'm resigned to believe that this game feels incomplete.
And you keep proving my point further.

Your point is pretty much "Sakurai is a fool because he didn't put a character I wanted." THIS is the immature behavior I was addressing on my post.

And I wanted Mewtwo to return.

Yeah, I may have lost faith in Sakurai, but I'm still getting the 3DS version. There's still plenty of things in there that have made me hyped, like Robin, Smash Run, some of the stages, and the portability.

However, this is the last time I'm ever going to speculate in this series. There was just too much false hype brought about during the past year because of Sakurai's trolling.
Creators often troll the fanbases to make a point. It's a shame that not everyone gets it.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
EDIT: And to be honest, I believe everyone on this forum is a spoiled brat about something. Maybe it isn't the roster, but they will always be found complaining about something.
Yes. We are all spoiled brats. We're just spoiled brats about completely different things.:happysheep:

I have all reason to be happy with how the game turned out, which I think I have confirmed time upon time again on these forums. It's how things go.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Robin looks awesome. Except for that dash attack.

After all the awesome new dash attacks for DK, Link, Sonic, ZSS, Lucario etc. that made them look awesome, Robin got that awkward poke. What a laughable animation. Don't know why he doesn't at least extend his arm more.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
IN OTHER NEWS

We now have mostly complete frame data for Robin, which I have added to the moveset guide.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And you keep proving my point further.
Your point is pretty much "Sakurai is a fool because he didn't put a character I wanted." THIS is the immature behavior I was addressing on my post.
And I wanted Mewtwo to return.
I don't care about Mewtwo though. You're completely missing the point again. The reason I said that is because Mewtwo is a huge, huge deal, and the most requested character outside of Mega Man (who got in) and has been made to work in Smash before. If Mewtwo is not in the game, well there is simply no way it was not a deliberate move, and a shot in the foot while we're at it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't care about Mewtwo though. You're completely missing the point again. The reason I said that is because Mewtwo is a huge, huge deal, and the most requested character outside of Mega Man (who got in) and has been made to work in Smash before. If Mewtwo is not in the game, well there is simply no way it was not a deliberate move, and a shot in the foot while we're at it.
Like I previously said, developers shouldn't only do what the fans want.

Also, what do you know about what went behind the scenes regarding Mewtwo? Because people often make claims that clearly show ignorance on what happens behind the scenes. The Pokémon franchise isn't just owned by Nintendo. There are three other copyright holders to the franchise. That itself should speak volumes on which content gets added or not. And what features are given more or less priority.

There's rights negotiation, there's loads of bureaucracy behind the development of a game. Even more so for crossovers, given the multiple parties involved on the production. Have you looked at the copyright info for a Super Smash Bros. game?

My point is: things like adding characters, especially those belonging to multiple parties such as those from the Pokémon franchise, aren't simple matters.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Creators often troll the fanbases to make a point. It's a shame that not everyone gets it.
So there was a point as to why Greninja's silhouette was framed to look like Mewtwo's? Or that Sakurai tiptoed around Ridley's presence for more than a year while outright disconfirming characters left and right with no holding back, eventually disconfirming him for real in the leaked roster?

Why did Sakurai hint towards Mewtwo's presence in Smash 4 at the Pokemon X and Y Roundtable Discussion if he wasn't in the roster?

I'm sorry, I just don't understand why Sakurai would do something like that if they weren't playable.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
....So how about that Robin? Did you hear he was announced in smash?
Yeah I've heard of him

It goes like this

[to the tune of Id~Purpose}

Yo Lucina listen up Smash has powerful foes
But I'm the baddest Tactician you will ever know
My name is Robin and I'm on a mission
To show you the power of the mighty Tactician

All the leakers in the hood sayin we'd get Chrom
But Lucina and me are here to prove them wrong
I've got so many tomes and I'm here to stay
"I suppose I'll get my chance another day..."

Elfire, Elwind, Nosferatu, Thoron!
My tomes are running out, time to get my sword on
I come in vanilla, red, white and blue
And if that's not your thing, you can play as the female too

YOU ARE WELCOME.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Yeah I've heard of him

[to the tune of Id~Purpose}

Yo Lucina listen up Smash has powerful foes
But I'm the baddest Tactician you will ever know
My name is Robin and I'm on a mission
To show you the power of the mighty Tactician

All the leakers in the hood sayin we'd get Chrom
But Lucina and me are here to prove them wrong
I've got so many tomes and I'm here to stay
I suppose he'll get his chance another day

My tomes are running out, time to get my sword on
Elfire, Elwind, Nosferatu, Thoron!
I come in vanilla, red, white and blue
And if that's not your thing, you can play as the female too

YOU ARE WELCOME.
Ughhh...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why did Sakurai hint towards Mewtwo's presence in Smash 4 at the Pokemon X and Y Roundtable Discussion if he wasn't in the roster?
He gave a vague answer that hinted jack squat.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand why Sakurai would do something like that if they weren't playable.
To put it bluntly: overspeculation is bad. Sakurai himself has stated this more than once.

You seem to not understand what TROLLING is.
This.

Also, Sakurai's trolling is nothing compared to what other creators have done in the past.

Remember Ultra Street Fighter IV and Decapre's trailer? THAT was trolling.

Folt

Smash Ace
Ridley was kind of a pseudo-troll to me anyways, given how we saw his shadow when Sakurai talked about stage bosses. I think Sakurai was also partly trying to hype up Ridley as a stage boss (and since it's the Wii U Metroid stage and they were showing off mostly 3DS specific things, he didn't want to show Ridley in full).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Pokemon hierarchy in Smash 4 is basically thus:

Pikachu > Pokemon that have been made to work in Brawl > Pokemon from the recent Pokemon game > Other.

Mewtwo fits into that Other category. Jigglypuff, Charizard, and Lucario had completed data in Brawl and were easy to reprogram, including a brand new move for Charizard and Final Smashes for the latter two, and Greninja was the new thing.

If Smash 4 had a more lenient time frame, Mewtwo would likely be next in line. But, alas, Sakurai is a businessman and had a contract to fulfill, including getting the (two!) games out in late 2014. Reality sucks.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
to quote a great post regarding the supposed teasing of Mewtwo in the Greninja trailer

Yes, I do say.

I'll agree the whole Ridley thing was a **** move though, especially given we'll probably receive no full disconfirmation until the WiiU version is finally released and we can see that damn Pyrosphere boss.
Anywho, on topic, custom moves for Robin seem really lame...in fact, almost all custom moves are really lame, can't say I'll care much on that aspect for this game unfortunately

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
LAME?

Sure, we may not have any super fancy ****, but the Customs for Arcfire and Thunder drastically change how you can play Robin.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's not like it matters anyway, since data mining indicates they are prepared to make DLC, Mewtwo is practically guaranteed to be that.
because in a sense, not having him on the main package won't hurt sales too bad; Brawl made that obvious.

However, selling him as DLC would be like printing money.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Eh, I doubt Mewtwo will be DLC, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

I'm done arguing over this. The only reason I'm even doing this right now is because of the waiting for this coming Friday.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Maybe we will see Roy and Pichu return from Melee as DLC. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But in all seriousness, I think Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf are the likeliest characters to return as DLC. I'd dare to say the Ice Climbers, but unless they somehow find a way over 3DS limitations, they aren't likely.

Anyway, I want DLC to happen. More worthy opponents for Robin and more scale tipping. :4robinm:

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

No, you misunderstand what I meant.

Chrom is easily the more popular character in general. For Smash vs. Not for Smash aside.
But he was not included.
But many Robin fans, and I'm sure one of you who is unsatisfied with the roster thinks this, think Chrom fans should look on the bright side.
Look on the bright side - we got Robin! Robin's so intersting and unique!

I'll be one of thouasands to say it: it sucks Ridley isn't playable.
But, look on the bright side, Mega Man, the most wanted newcomer worldwide and one of the most popular character in the gaming industry, is playable! That's pretty cool, right?

I think it was a pretty stupid move to not include Mewtwo, but, hey, look on the bright side, we got Rosalina and Villager! They're also pretty cool, right? They're so unique, and while Rosalina isn't that popular, Animal Crossing has been one of the best selling series there are, and it finally got a playable character!

I'm not saying that we got Mega Man "instead" of Ridley. That's not my point, even if the comparison I'm making would imply that. My point is that I think that if you're able to (tell people to) "look on the bright side" with regards to Robin, the Less Popular Character vs. Chrom, the More Popular Character, then you could also be able to "look on the bright side" with regards to Ridley, Mewtwo, etc. vs. The Entire Roster. At least to some extent.

My statement wasn't meant to completely shoot anything down, so there's no need for sarcastic quips @ Kenith Kenith . :p
It's more of an observation.
Or, more accurately, an observable detail that I think should be taken into consideration more.

EDIT: My internet died in the middle of posting this. Now that I finally did, the discussion has moved on. ;_;

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm 50/50 on maining Robin, I still don't know what are the real benefits of him are even after looking at some gameplay, could someone tell me what they are? (gameplay-wise)
Extremely strong and satisfying Aerial game with Levin Sword.

Versatile specials that allow you to zone and punish with varying degrees of intensity.

COMMAND GRAB THAT HEALS YOU

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm 50/50 on maining Robin, I still don't know what are the real benefits of him are even after looking at some gameplay, could someone tell me what they are? (gameplay-wise)
There is no benefit to maining him.
There is, however, benefit to maining her. :4robinf:
That benefit is, of course, that she is awesome.

COMMAND GRAB THAT HEALS YOU
Also, this thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom