• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
A lot of them can barely be called clones anyways. The only true clones now are Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit. The rest are pretty different then the original.
Lucina, Dark Pit and Toon Link* . At least the Doc got some different custom specials (healing pills eg.) and different down air and down B moves. He is actually the least "cloned" of the 4.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Clone characters are better than unique characters in my opinion. It is always vastly interesting to see a different approach to a familiar move-set resulting in a character that usually offers more (or something entirely different) than the original. Jigglypuff is a good example of a semi-clone taken to the next level. Luigi is a good example of how a clone can become something more, he is just vaguely reminiscent of his counter-part. Roy and Marth's sword mechanics accented each-other perfectly. I believe Falco had the exact same move-set as Fox, but through the different properties attributed to each move, they play nothing alike. Ganondorf was the antithesis of Captain Falcon. Pichu actually had the MOST unique mechanic in Smash history. So on and so forth.

That, to me, is more interesting than a character with an entirely new move-set. It is great to have characters that offer an entirely different play-style or mechanic; however, I prefer that the character has an established move-set turned unique over a newcomer that just happens to have a non-cloned move-set. I am looking at characters like Greninja.

It is better to have two characters that contrast each-other in the most beautiful of ways than to have two unrelated characters that feel similar to other cast members. Again, looking at you Greninja.

I have nothing against Greninja, by the way. He is just such an easy example of a character with a different move-set that offers barely anything new or interesting. This game, Smash 4, did a great job of diversifying the cast. I adamantly believe that this is the best newcomer roster because of such. I do not give half a **** about the characters in the game (I can say that with little difficulty because I literally got all of my wanted characters minus Black Shadow anyways).

I have no idea why I rambled so long about this. It is not even relevant in the grand scheme of things, clones ARE in the game, they DO offer something unique, and I like them more than I like regular characters. Everyone else can cry me a salty river and deal with it.

:4luigi::4jigglypuff::4drmario::younglinkmelee:(:4tlink:):4ganondorf::pichumelee::4falco::roypm:(:4lucina:):lucas::4darkpit:

These, these my homies still.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Clone characters are better than unique characters in my opinion. It is always vastly interesting to see a different approach to a familiar move-set resulting in a character that usually offers more (or something entirely different) than the original. Jigglypuff is a good example of a semi-clone taken to the next level. Luigi is a good example of how a clone can become something more, he is just vaguely reminiscent of his counter-part. Roy and Marth's sword mechanics accented each-other perfectly. I believe Falco had the exact same move-set as Fox, but through the different properties attributed to each move, they play nothing alike. Ganondorf was the antithesis of Captain Falcon. Pichu actually had the MOST unique mechanic in Smash history. So on and so forth.

That, to me, is more interesting than a character with an entirely new move-set. It is great to have characters that offer an entirely different play-style or mechanic; however, I prefer that the character has an established move-set turned unique over a newcomer that just happens to have a non-cloned move-set. I am looking at characters like Greninja.

It is better to have two characters that contrast each-other in the most beautiful of ways than to have two unrelated characters that feel similar to other cast members. Again, looking at you Greninja.

I have nothing against Greninja, by the way. He is just such an easy example of a character with a different move-set that offers barely anything new or interesting. This game, Smash 4, did a great job of diversifying the cast. I adamantly believe that this is the best newcomer roster because of such. I do not give half a **** about the characters in the game (I can say that with little difficulty because I literally got all of my wanted characters minus Black Shadow anyways).

I have no idea why I rambled so long about this. It is not even relevant in the grand scheme of things, clones ARE in the game, they DO offer something unique, and I like them more than I like regular characters. Everyone else can cry me a salty river and deal with it.

:4luigi::4jigglypuff::4drmario::younglinkmelee:(:4tlink:):4ganondorf::pichumelee::4falco::roypm:(:4lucina:):lucas::4darkpit:

I agree clones that evolve are really nice and agree with your point, I just still prefer completely original characters that bring a lot of new mechanics to the table. :4robinm::4shulk::rosalina:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Morbid.
Stop making me understand your backwards opinion.
I WANT TO BE NORMAL.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Smash's fanbase is utterly unpleasable.
You expected otherwise?
They're not impossible to please.
The general consensus is that Mewtwo, a new Donkey Kong and Zelda character, Ridley, and a few others should be playable.
However, they are not. Therefore, the general fanbase is not pleased.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The general consensus is that Mewtwo, a new Donkey Kong and Zelda character, Ridley, and a few others should be playable.
It doesn't matter what decisions Sakurai makes, he'll inevitably get some hatred from them, save for the few very logical decisions(removing random tripping) he sometimes does.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It doesn't matter what decisions Sakurai makes, he'll inevitably get some hatred from them, save for the few very logical decisions(removing random tripping) he sometimes does.
Of course. Nobody is perfect, after all.
However, Sakurai seems like at some point between the development of this game and Brawl he sort of just said "**** IT, THIS IS MY GAME" and stopped caring about fan demand if he had to work to achieve it and focused entirely on "uniqueness".
Is uniqueness good? Absolutely. But considering the values of this game, so if making the fanbase as happy as you can in the time allotted.

For example, the Ice Climbers are now gone. Sucks right? If it was just a slightly revamped single Climber, it would suck...just less, right? Something is better than nothing, after all. Yet, nope, they're completely gone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>Get to Gaur Plain at night.

>Unwillingly get into a fight with a horde of 6 Tirkins.

>Fight ends just at daybreak.

>Gaur Plain day theme begins.

That's a mighty first impression. May just be my favorite Smash stage now and I haven't played the game yet.
When I first saw Guar Plains and heard that song, I knew I was going to play a game with a massive adventure. Don't worry, there are more amazing areas to see. Just wait until you get to Satorl Marsh... at night.
I just can't wait to see what music they chose for the stage on the Wii U version. For the 3DS version, Gaur Plains and Arena Ferox will be the stages I'll play in Omega form the most.

Why does Luigi look so murderous?
You tell me...

The Year of Luigi will never end...

You don't say.:4luigi:

I'm actually legitimately surprised Diddy is in that ad. Samus to a lesser extent.

I mean, Diddy Kong, the character who wasn't even created by Nintendo, is there. That's just... Wow... And it makes me very happy.
And Samus, 'cause, you know, the franchise hasn't really done anything recently on top of it not being as popular in Japan as it is in many other places.
Hey Sakurai, guess which two series needed more representation in Smash?

I would be surprised by Pikachu... If it wasn't Pikachu.
Nintendo treating Pikachu like it treats Mario and Link is surprising since they've never really done that, but is also very smart to start doing so because it's freakin' Pikachu.
It's about time they started treating Pikachu like one of their main mascots now. According to this image, he's more recognizable than Mario.

Lucina is a tricky situation.

Because they could not as little as get her fighting stance right, and being a clone, I can't give her anything more than 4/10. Unlike Dark Pit, I actually like her a lot as a character, so she gets some points. If they got some aspects about her appearance right, but she was still a clone, I would be willing to bump that up to 6/10.

"But they can't! She can't have her fighting style because it won't work with Marth's animation."

THEN DON'T MAKE THE CHARACTER! :4dedede::4dedede::4dedede::4dedede::4dedede:

Maybe they could have dropped two of the clones and Toon Link to make Lucina not copying Marth's idle animations and stuff and being like "IT'S HER DNA! :4larry:" and not even giving her a single ****ing unique special move are you serious.
I'm fine with Lucina on the roster. I mean, she at least has some popularity to back her up (number one female in Awakening according to a poll).
I think being a clone minimizes her potential. They could have made her recovery move Aether or how about that move she does in the Two Falchions cutscene where she spins around in the air?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
To be honest, the same arguments used against Chrom for Smash also apply to Lucina. Being realistic here, Her only standout trait when it comes to fighting is that she's a woman; beyond that, she and Chrom are extremely similar. Tactician supporters/Sakurai already dismissed the latter for not offering anything really "new" to the table, but now we are giving Lucina all the slack we can?

So instead of trying to make a moveset that people would inevitably cry "standard" or "been there, done that" despite all the different stuff she has because we'd be comparing her to puppet master Rosalina or Get Off My Ground Little Mac, Sakurai took a moveset he KNOWS is BTDT, but changed one feature to it. And that changed feature actually opened up a completely different style of play for that moveset.

Is it, for all intents and purposes, better? Probably not. But it's a new spin on an old and loved moveset. I think that's A consolation, albeit not a very good one.

Folt

Smash Ace
No, that's loud Smash fans. The general consensus is that most people don't really care.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
eh, I honestly cringed a little when the first thing we saw on the FE trailer was Lucina, I hated the idea of her being in for the same reason I hated Chrom, I couldn't see Sakurai working up something different and interesting with her, and I was right! I also find her character to be very boring. Thank god for Robin just a few seconds afterwards otherwise my hype for the game would have taken a huge blow that day (like the 3DS version has now given the unlockable characters, weak single player content, no online Smash Run and fairly lame set of stages, still pumped for WiiU though)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And she's awesome! Your point?
My point is that people clamoring for all of said characters are not a minority; they are in fact the majority of the fanbase; it is a minority who is vocal about it, as with all social groups.

A lot of people were let down by this roster, and this is not the first time, however unlike in Brawl (for the most part) there are some glaring omissions and arguable mistakes that could have been avoided easily, however the director deliberately ignored his fans in some instances.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Gotta agree with KenithTheGatherer here. Regardless of whether this game should be seen as a popularity contest or not, a lot of people were let down by the choices that were made over their most wanted characters, and even the ones that should have been guaranteed shoo-ins were denied entry *cough* Mewtwo *cough*.

Brawl may have had its issues in certain aspects of gameplay, but at least the roster gave a fair amount of representation to all the major franchises, not just Mario and Kirby. The Kirby bias wasn't even noticeable at all except in the SSE, although that could be justified due to it being based on a cancelled Kirby Wii game. And also, Kirby is a major franchise and is one of Nintendo's top-selling series, so it makes sense that it would be one of the most high-profile franchises in there.

Kid Icarus, on the other hand, has yet to be treated as one of Nintendo's flagship franchises, and its newest game in the series, Kid Icarus Uprising, isn't even one of the top ten best selling 3DS games in the world. Not even close. It's actually in the top thirty.

It's true that you can't please all of the fans, but if you're the director of a game that's intended to be the "best character game in the world", it's probably for the best that you should take the fan requests into serious consideration and put in those beloved characters that almost everyone wants to see in.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The vote is still out on whether Nintendo wants to even continue with Kid Icarus. I wish we'd all stop claiming that Sakurai was biased..

1. There are a ton of KI:U models for the 3DS. In order to save time so Sakurai could work on other parts of the game, he simply brought over enemies and weapons for items. Sakurai could have also just tweaked DP's model to get a clone. Kid Icarus, despite it's large representation, probably took the least amount of time to add in.

2. Nintendo could wish to make Kid Icarus a flagship franchise. While Sakurai did say he doesn't wasn't to make a sequel (like after Melee), we all know that there's no way the franchise is going to get another 25 year hiatus.

3. Is it really all that bad that Kid Icarus, a different, interesting franchise got representation? The voice acting and humor was enjoyable, the combat different, and it brought attention to a formerly struggling handheld.

I think once the Wii U version comes out, we'll all drop this silly nonsense that Sakurai 'cares' more about KI.
(Please note: I'm being a bit abrasive on purpose. I'd love for some input.)

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'm one of those people that hate having two of the same character, so clones really bug me mainly because of my personal preference.

Then after about a week or two I just stop caring so much.

Though what's sad is sometimes the clones seem more beloved than the original. I get the worrying feeling we'll be seeing lots of Dr. Mario and almost no original Mario. There may be a lot of Lucina and not a lot of Marth, Dark Pit and Pit I dunno about though yet.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You know it must suck being Sakurai.
People give you crap for all the clones in Melee, yet when you cut Mewtwo from Brawl people still give you crap.
You just can't win.
When you have one of the most atrocious, demanding, and immature fanbases, it's not enjoyable.

Seriously, I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Smash fanbase is actually one of my least favorites.
There's also only 4 Pokemon models in Smash Run compared to the 15 or so from KI:U, arguably.

*Keeping a neutral stance on this*
But them Pokeballs! Sakurai is biased for putting all those Pokémon in the game. :rolleyes:
/lighthearted ribbing

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I remember when I unlocked Mewtwo for the first time in Melee when I was 8.
I was so overjoyed, as I loved Mewtwo. And even back then as a snotty child, I knew that there was no way that in a Nintendo fighting crossover that goddamn Mewtwo would be absent.

Flash forward to present day: An 8-year-old just finds some secret characters in Smash 4.
These are his words: What the **** IS A DUCK HUNT.

They could have at least kept some of the hype newcomers secret.
Imagine me casually playing through Classic Mode and-HOLY ****BALLS IT'S LUCINA.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I remember when I unlocked Mewtwo for the first time in Melee when I was 8.
I was so overjoyed, as I loved Mewtwo. And even back then as a snotty child, I knew that there was no way that in a Nintendo fighting crossover that goddamn Mewtwo would be absent.

Flash forward to present day: An 8-year-old just finds some secret characters in Smash 4.
These are his words: What the **** IS A DUCK HUNT.

They could have at least kept some of the hype newcomers secret.
Imagine me casually playing through Classic Mode and-HOLY ****BALLS IT'S LUCINA.
They would have just been spoiled by the people on here.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They would have just been spoiled by the people on here.
Scenario assumes they were not because their parents didn't let them use the internet.
If they find out about the secret characters I presume they have enough internet freedom to complain about it, and then it really isn't much of a hypothetical situation now, is it?

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
My point is that people clamoring for all of said characters are not a minority; they are in fact the majority of the fanbase; it is a minority who is vocal about it, as with all social groups.

A lot of people were let down by this roster, and this is not the first time, however unlike in Brawl (for the most part) there are some glaring omissions and arguable mistakes that could have been avoided easily, however the director deliberately ignored his fans in some instances.
Gotta agree with KenithTheGatherer here. Regardless of whether this game should be seen as a popularity contest or not, a lot of people were let down by the choices that were made over their most wanted characters, and even the ones that should have been guaranteed shoo-ins were denied entry *cough* Mewtwo *cough*.

Brawl may have had its issues in certain aspects of gameplay, but at least the roster gave a fair amount of representation to all the major franchises, not just Mario and Kirby. The Kirby bias wasn't even noticeable at all except in the SSE, although that could be justified due to it being based on a cancelled Kirby Wii game. And also, Kirby is a major franchise and is one of Nintendo's top-selling series, so it makes sense that it would be one of the most high-profile franchises in there.

Kid Icarus, on the other hand, has yet to be treated as one of Nintendo's flagship franchises, and its newest game in the series, Kid Icarus Uprising, isn't even one of the top ten best selling 3DS games in the world. Not even close. It's actually in the top thirty.

It's true that you can't please all of the fans, but if you're the director of a game that's intended to be the "best character game in the world", it's probably for the best that you should take the fan requests into serious consideration and put in those beloved characters that almost everyone wants to see in.
Yeah. It won't be the first time, and it certainly won't be the last, so long as Smash continues to have fans coming from all over the spectrum of fandoms. As it is, Smash 4's roster is a very solid roster, like the others before it: It has characters that got in through popularity, characters that got in through potential, characters that got in because people expected them, oddball characters that got in because no one expected them, and characters who ultimately didn't get in, either because they weren't considered, because they weren't unique enough, or because they couldn't be implemented. Heck, we even have one character who went the mile and came back after being passed for one installment. That's how Smash has been through all the years. It evolves, discards and draws from Nintendo's franchises and only some fighters (like the Original 12 f. ex.) would be considered shoe-ins for the series. And with 51 (49) options for playable fighters & custom options, There's something for just about anyone to pick up and love.

As for fan requests, I'd say I'd take them into consideration... but I wouldn't necessary focus on them, because having a character be playable just to please the fans would make me feel rather bad for the fans of that character instead. It would have no love.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Remember the days when the Robin social thread wasn't full of arguing and complaining about the roster? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah. It won't be the first time, and it certainly won't be the last, so long as Smash continues to have fans coming from all over the spectrum of fandoms. As it is, Smash 4's roster is a very solid roster, like the others before it: It has characters that got in through popularity, characters that got in through potential, characters that got in because people expected them, oddball characters that got in because no one expected them, and characters who ultimately didn't get in, either because they weren't considered, because they weren't unique enough, or because they couldn't be implemented. Heck, we even have one character who went the mile and came back after being passed for one installment. That's how Smash has been through all the years. It evolves, discards and draws from Nintendo's franchises and only some fighters (like the Original 12 f. ex.) would be considered shoe-ins for the series. And with 51 (49) options for playable fighters & custom options, There's something for just about anyone to pick up and love.

As for fan requests, I'd say I'd take them into consideration... but I wouldn't necessary focus on them, because having a character be playable just to please the fans would make me feel rather bad for the fans of that character instead. It would have no love.
So what you're essentially saying is, it is impossible to create a character that satisfies the fanbase and your creativity?
What about Wario, Olimar, Robin, blah blah examples....

Folt

Smash Ace
So what you're essentially saying is, it is impossible to create a character that satisfies the fanbase and your creativity?
What about Wario, Olimar, Robin, blah blah examples....
You're putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that making a character playable just because the fans want the character playable is not something a developer should do.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If Mega Man was a secret character we wouldn't have this discussion and disappointed people now.
3 requested characters absent =/= roster ruined, no fans pleased.

Mega Man, Little Mac and Palutena (and to an extent, while hated too, Pac-Man and Miis) all prove this.

OK, since I wanna (sub)main Robin too, when should you use what projectile?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You're putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that making a character playable just because the fans want the character playable is not something a developer should do.
That's why he shouldn't do that.
Popular and unique are not mutually exclusive.
However, Sakurai's character choices primarily lean towards "unique" with very little of the "popular".
Greninja may be popular now, but he practically didn't exist when he was chosen.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
True, we shouldn't have characters in the game just on popularity alone. Otherwise, we'd be getting characters like Goku and Shrek.

Still, there are plenty of characters that the fanbase really wants to see playable, and yet are not in the game. You can't tell me that it's impossible to make a moveset for characters like K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, Isaac, Mewtwo (as in, a revamped moveset), Krystal, a Rhythm Heaven character, etc...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Still, there are plenty of characters that the fanbase really wants to see playable, and yet are not in the game. You can't tell me that it's impossible to make a moveset for characters like K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, Isaac, Mewtwo (as in, a revamped moveset), Krystal, a Rhythm Heaven character, etc...
tumblr_lw8c7jZrCf1qik6vlo1_500.png

It still hurts.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People obsess too much with the characters in the game. Too much emotional stress over fictional characters on a video game cannot be healthy in any sort of way.

That said, it's okay to be passionate for the game, but there should exist limits.

I mean, I was really exciting when watching Robin's trailer since he was one of my most wanted characters. The fact Lucina is in the game too was a great surprise. Most hyped Smash 4 trailer for me. But I wouldn't be throwing temper tantrums if they weren't in the game.

But them Pokeballs! Sakurai is biased for putting all those Pokémon in the game. :rolleyes:
Yeah, an assist item with a slew of assists from only one franchise. Other series only get two or three characters at max and are all lumped together as an original item. What a travesty. :rolleyes:

True, we shouldn't have characters in the game just on popularity alone. Otherwise, we'd be getting characters like Goku and Shrek.

His point is that a developer shouldn't solely focus on requested/popular characters.

Folt

Smash Ace
That's why he shouldn't do that.
Popular and unique are not mutually exclusive.
However, Sakurai's character choices primarily lean towards "unique" with very little of the "popular".
Greninja may be popular now, but he practically didn't exist when he was chosen.
That's the thing. Sakurai does not only look at the popularity factor when he chooses playable characters: He looks at what they can give as playable characters to Smash as well. It's why you're bound to see fans of just about any character and how they play as in Smash. This uniqueness is what separates the characters from each other and allows them to stand out from the rest of their playable peers. Even a tiny change in a property could make for a different experience with a character. Sakurai understands that the way a character feels and plays will make the difference between enjoyment and boredom. And I give props to Sakurai for making such a huge roster of characters stand out from each other.

It's not impossible, no. I'd say however that it would be hard to give those characters an established niché that other characters do have and some of them have bigger potential as NPCs than they'd have as playable fighters. I think Sakurai understands that as well.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There was a quote in an old thread that was perfectly in line with what I'm trying to say, however much more elegantly, but I cannot find it.
My issue is, yes , people overreact to the roster, but similar, people also overreact to people overreacting to the roster.
Or even worse, they treat people who didn't get what they asked for like heathens or spoiled children.

When really, they just don't want to spend 60$ on a game they aren't happy with.
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There was a quote in an old thread that was perfectly in line with what I'm trying to say, however much more elegantly, but I cannot find it.
My issue is, yes , people overreact to the roster, but similar, people also overreact to people overreacting to the roster.
Or even worse, they treat people who didn't get what they asked for like heathens or spoiled children.

When really, they just don't want to spend 60$ on a game they aren't happy with.
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith
Pretty much this, especially considering that there are two versions of the game on different systems, which will vary in price.

Also, people who get off the devastation of fans when they find out that their favorite characters didn't get in, by posting insulting images or videos mocking their losses, are the scum of the earth.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
If Sakurai mostly just included the most popular characters, then Robin probably wouldn't be playable. :4gaw:

Last edited:
Top Bottom