• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Stance is a bad idea, thats why they took out transformations.
Not necessarily. There's a difference between being able to alternate between two completely different characters, each with their own speed, weight, power, etc, and being able to only switch your method of attack.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah, sort of an idea I gave up on after the last Direct.

Not necessarily. There's a difference between being able to alternate between two completely different characters, each with their own speed, weight, power, etc, and being able to only switch your method of attack.
There is, but Sakurai said he wanted characters to focus on one moveset as his reasoning behind separating Sheik and Zamus from Zelda and Samus.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I still think the best/easiest route for them to go is sword only for melee attacks like jabs and stuff and make all his specials magic to reflect how Robin can use both.

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I'm thinking he would have a sword only for melee attacks, a magic only moveset would make him to much like Zelda or Lucas

I still think the most likely moveset is sword for melee and magic for specials...

What I don't get is why does everyone expect stance change Robin? S/He could just use a sword for melee and magic for specials!

Standard Melee attacks: uses Steel Sword attacks like how he/she uses sword in Awakening

Why does everyone expect stance change Robin? he could just use a sword for melee and magic for specials

I still think the best/easiest route for them to go is sword only for melee attacks like jabs and stuff and make all his specials magic to reflect how Robin can use both.
Yes, we catch your idea (no offense here) :dizzy:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
And I think it's a good idea and makes sense.

The only thing that bother me about Robin make in Smash is if we can have the Male and Female versions. Look at Awakening, each genre have very different animations and we don't see the female Villager right now.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
And I think it's a good idea and makes sense.

The only thing that bother me about Robin make in Smash is if we can have the Male and Female versions. Look at Awakening, each genre have very different animations and we don't see the female Villager right now.
I think we could have Female Robin as an alt costume like WFT

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
(Not sure if I mentioned this, but I meant to.)

If you noticed in the last Direct Wii Fit Trainer was referred to as Wii Fit Trainers after showing footage of Male WFT in action for the first time.

Similarly, Villager also has a generic name which could be easily be made "Villagers" when the female alt is shown.

Robin could have something similar in being called Tactician/Tacticians. This may be even more in her favor than previously thought.

IronFish

Smash Ace

If you noticed in the last Direct Wii Fit Trainer was referred to as Wii Fit Trainers after showing footage of Male WFT in action for the first time.

Similarly, Villager also has a generic name which could be easily be made "Villagers" when the female alt is shown.

Robin could have something similar in being called Tactician/Tacticians. This may be even more in her favor than previously thought.
I wouldn't like them to be called "tactician" because that's boring and implies he/she is not a character and has no personality like the Villager, Robin is a name and conveys the fact it's a character, but then again "Robins" would be kinda weird...

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
The default name for the Avatar, Robin, can mean bright, famous, and smart. This may refer to his/her gift for strategy.
Now I know that name is not a random choice. For Daraen (Europe) and Reflet (Japan) I have no idea.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Now I know that name is not a random choice. For Daraen (Europe) and Reflet (Japan) I have no idea.
Reflet is "an effect of brilliance or luster due to the reflection of light on a surface, especially of pottery; iridescence." It's from the French word for "reflection".

Make of that what you will.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Reflet is "an effect of brilliance or luster due to the reflection of light on a surface, especially of pottery; iridescence." It's from the French word for "reflection".

Make of that what you will.
Perhaps it says something about Robin's status as an "avatar" character, which is designed to reflect the player creating the avatar. Robin admittedly doesn't really reflect the players personality, but his/her appearance can be made to resemble that of whoever is designing him or her.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Perhaps it says something about Robin's status as an "avatar" character, which is designed to reflect the player creating the avatar. Robin admittedly doesn't really reflect the players personality, but his/her appearance can be made to resemble that of whoever is designing him or her.
Eh, sort of. I couldn't make it look like me.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

I'm not sure if the Wii Fit Trainers had names in their games, but they definitely didn't share the same one. Villager had no specific name in his games, the developers didn't even give you a default name for him. Both female and male MyUnit share one common name that is commonly used for both genders, Robin. If the character doesn't have a default name then they make up a name that fits their character. If the character does have a default name that isn't shared by both genders of the character then they make up a name that fits their character. I don't want to hear the announcer saying...

TAC-TI-CIAN! TAC-TI-CIAN! TAC-TI-CIAN!

He/She has a name that is shared by both genders, the developers have no need to change it.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah, just thought I would share. I would much rather Robin being called Robin despite having alternate gender costumes.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Just adding my two million(I ball) butI would rather not have an avatar, unless it is Mii which I do not support either. It does make more sense to have you in the game as a Mii since the purpose of avatars for the most part is inserting the player into the game and if the Miis are customizable. I can not see "Robin" as customizable, and I felt closer to my FE avatars then just Miis so playing as a generic template wouldn't help even if he/she had a diverse moveset. Which is why I would much rather prefer Anna or Lucina or Chrom or Ike and seem these candidates as more likely.

But we did get Villager....... I see you Sakuari :4villager:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just adding my two million(I ball) butI would rather not have an avatar, unless it is Mii which I do not support either. It does make more sense to have you in the game as a Mii since the purpose of avatars for the most part is inserting the player into the game and if the Miis are customizable. I can not see "Robin" as customizable, and I felt closer to my FE avatars then just Miis so playing as a generic template wouldn't help even if he/she had a diverse moveset. Which is why I would much rather prefer Anna or Lucina or Chrom or Ike and seem these candidates as more likely.

Well, as you pointed out, we already got Villager, who is actually a pure avatar character. Robin is only really customizable in appearance and abilities; s/he has his/her own unique personality and backstory. So... I don't think your personal feelings will stop Robin from getting into Smash.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Well, as you pointed out, we already got Villager, who is actually a pure avatar character. Robin is only really customizable in appearance and abilities; s/he has his/her own unique personality and backstory. So... I don't think your personal feelings will stop Robin from getting into Smash.
Well it's the customizable appearance and abilities that makes you avatar so unique and makes you feel closer to that avatar as well, but when you strip that away.. :/ this is just why I don't want to see Robin, it is not stopping her or his chances nor should any one take this as if I am imposing my own personal feelings to why characters should miss the roster, it's more universal than that. I guess Villager no having any personality gave him a pass, as well as Animal Crossing being so popular. All just my opinion though, if "Robin" or whatever his or her name is gets in Smash 4, I would not really mind.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

We don't want the character in to customize him/her. Sakurai would be wasting his time making characters like Robin and Villager customizable. Making a download option to get your character from awakening or new leaf is a waste and putting a character creation screen for both Villager and Robin would also be a waste. Villager doesn't have a default appearance, but Robin does. I can see Sakurai putting different shirts (and maybe faces) for Villager, but not customizable clothes, pants, hats, shoes, and accessories. Villager will most likely have a female option too. Robin has a default appearance and a simple cloak or hair change won't be that hard to add. Miis are easy as you can just select them from the Mii Maker, many games do this already. Customizing is reserved for Miis, Robin and Villager should not have this option. The medium sized Robin is enough. I don't want to play as the chibi twins, an ugly old dude, or "sexy" Robin. I think everyone wants normal Robin. Zamus can have her heels and big bust, I don't want my Robin to be used for fanservice.

I would hate playing as this ugly thing...

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Well it's the customizable appearance and abilities that makes you avatar so unique and makes you feel closer to that avatar as well, but when you strip that away.. :/ this is just why I don't want to see Robin, it is not stopping her or his chances nor should any one take this as if I am imposing my own personal feelings to why characters should miss the roster, it's more universal than that. I guess Villager no having any personality gave him a pass, as well as Animal Crossing being so popular. All just my opinion though, if "Robin" or whatever his or her name is gets in Smash 4, I would not really mind.
You haven't played any game in the series, you're worse than me!

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
You haven't played any game in the series, you're worse than me!
First, See a doctor, your "liking" of Robin frightens me. Second, Yes, I have played some portion of Fire Emblem games. Just not all of them, which I suspect is the same with many other Western FE fans. No need to get jimmies rustled from one "non" supporter of a character that probably will get in regardless of opinion. Boss

I am actually playing FE GBA as we speak, no lie.

D

Deleted member

As you can see by my avatar(no pun intended), my #2 is dead, I'll try to support my #4 then(tfw Dillon is an Assist), who is my #2 now!
Anyway, I would've chosen Chrom for an Awakening rep, but I don't want another sword user, Robin has many more things to represent the franchise than a blue haired lord would ever have, magic, tactics... oh, and did I mention it would destroy the entire Gematsu leak :troll:

D

Deleted member

Oh, you're here too IronFish! Has been a rough day for the Wonder-Red's supporters, good to see we'll tipt the scales

IronFish

Smash Ace
As you can see by my avatar(no pun intended), my #2 is dead, I'll try to support my #4 then(tfw Dillon is an Assist), who is my #2 now!
Anyway, I would've chosen Chrom for an Awakening rep, but I don't want another sword user, Robin has many more things to represent the franchise than a blue haired lord would ever have, magic, tactics... oh, and did I mention it would destroy the entire Gematsu leak :troll:
Glad to see someone joining in on the support! Not that don't like Chrom, he just is a little bland IMO...

Also I was here before I supported Red XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glad to see someone joining in on the support! Not that don't like Chrom, he just is a little bland IMO...

Also I was here before I supported Red XD
I know, I saw some of your old posts, but I guess it was a coincidence that I found you here

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Robin is my Number 1 wanted newcomer. If he/she does not get in than I will be upset with Sakurai big time. Robin represents so many elements of the FE series that have yet to be present in Brawl. Chrom may be the face of Awakening but Robin posses the face(s) of the one who lent a great hand in saving the franchise imo. Robin just makes so much sense and I can't imagine Sakurai going with another blue haired sword exclusive lord this go round. This is the first time he has another amazing option to choose really. Even if no other character I want is playable, Robin will make me ignore it all. It's funny that the series I knew least about in smash. has become the one in possession of my most wanted character. Robin is the only character that can mend the broken heart I received from my 2nd most wanted being stuck to Trophy status lol. I would find it odd that Sakurai has gone left field with franchises up until now only to add Chrom, the more obvious choice. Especially seeing as how Chrom really will be more of the same for the most part.

If Robin gets in, I do not see him/her having a stance change ability. Like someone mentioned, I wouldn't mind his specials being magic based and his smash attacks being sword based. Either way Robin is going to be amazing. I am truly betting my all that Robin is in. I just can't imagine otherwise at this point...please pray for my health just in case Robin does not make the cut lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anybody want to make a Snake codecs call for Robin?
Did he even had something like that? Or are you referring to the support conversations, if so, here is one:
While fighting Marth
Robin: Chrom, I need help to fight this guy, he sure have some skilled tactics
Chrom: Well, he is a lord after all-- wait, where are you actually? Why are you fighting my ancestor?
Robin: Uh... Sorry I have to go!
Chrom: Wait! Explain yourself!
Marth: What are you doing Robin? Can we fight now?
Robin: Just a moment--
Ike: Hey, what are you guys doing?
Robin: ...
Chrom: Ike is there too!? What is happening?
Ike: Why didn't you invite Chrom?
Robin: Actually, there is a very reasonable explanation for all of this
Chrom: And what is it?
Robin: They only had room for someone if they could use something other than a sword
Chrom: But I can use a spear!
Ike: I can use an axe, what's the deal?
Chrom: Me and Lucina are going there, did you hear that Robin?
Robin: Abou that...
Lucina: What are you three doing?
Chrom: You're kidding me, aren't you?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Poor Robin. S/he is now only my 4tm most wanted character, seeing as Sceptile is now possible and likely, my Ridley hype is back, and K Rool seems so much cooler when Gangplank Galleon goes through your head every day.

I still really want out tactician in the game, to such a high degree...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Poor Robin. S/he is now only my 4tm most wanted character, seeing as Sceptile is now possible and likely, my Ridley hype is back, and K Rool seems so much cooler when Gangplank Galleon goes through your head every day.

Oh... I wouldn't say Sceptile is likely...

But Robin is definitely high on my want list. Only Mewtwo really surpasses him (admittedly, Robin doesn't come close to Mewtwo, in my eyes).

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

We're only getting five pokemon, six or seven would be over doing it. Jigglypuff will be the fifth pokemon to be announced. King K Rool is not very likely at all, the fans who say this are confusing their opinions with Sakurais. Robin is still more likely than Ike and Lucina.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We're only getting five pokemon, six or seven would be over doing it. Jigglypuff will be the fifth pokemon to be announced. King K Rool is not very likely at all, the fans who say this are confusing their opinions with Sakurais. Robin is still more likely than Ike and Lucina.
...I would really enjoy debating you on pretty much everything you just said, but I don't think this thread is the place for that.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
The Tactician is one of my most wanted newcomers, mainly because s/he would represent the strategy and magic part of Fire Emblem that is lacking in smash. Also I would want the character's name to be The Tactician rather than Robin since it doesn't take away from your avatar's name. This would also mean that The Tactician's upper face would be covered with a hood to prevent there being a canon appearance and there should be an female appearance similar to Wii Fit Trainer.

The only real competitor for The Tactician now is Chrom, but lets compare the two characters. I don't dislike him but, Chrom is extremely similar in both design and fighting style to Marth. Yes it's possible that he could have a totally unique moveset but I really don't see that happening if he gets in, and either way his moveset won't do justice to all the different aspects of Fire Emblem. But regardless of all this, there is another thing would make Chrom's inclusion shortsighted. Think into the future for when smash 5 is going to come out, will anybody really care about Chrom anymore, I mean there will probably be another blue haired swordsmen protagonist from a new Fire Emblem game to take his place.

Beside being totally different than Marth and having moveset potential, The Tactician might also have an edge over Chrom in relevance and importance too. Although s/he isn't the face of the most modern Fire Emblem, the Tactician is a character that can keep reappearing and be relevant throughout the series. Although the background and some of the attire of the character might change, The Tactician can always reappear as an avatar unit in future games. This will allow you to technically have the exact same character without being the same person (kind of like villager in all of his games). On top of this in Fire Emblem Awakening you're not playing as Chrom the whole game, You're the Tactician giving orders to your troops in battle, regardless if the Tactician is a unit on the battlefield.

I was too lazy to look back through the entire 31 pages of this thread, so someone might of said something similar to this but either way, I SUPPORT THE TACTICIAN.

IronFish

Smash Ace
The Tactician is one of my most wanted newcomers, mainly because s/he would represent the strategy and magic part of Fire Emblem that is lacking in smash. Also I would want the character's name to be The Tactician rather than Robin since it doesn't take away from your avatar's name. This would also mean that The Tactician's upper face would be covered with a hood to prevent there being a canon appearance and there should be an female appearance similar to Wii Fit Trainer.
I have said before that with other character that aren't really "characters" it's okay to give them generic names or a new generic appearance, but Robin is different because Robin is a character and has dialogue, personality . etc. It wouldn't give Him/Her justice as a character if s/he was just "tactician" with the hood up. I think if that were done for Robin, then you should also rename Link "Hero" because some may be attached to link their play through of a LoZ game because they named them George, or Pikachu should be called "mouse pokemon" because some nicknamed their Pikachu in a Pokemon game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom