• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I hope you'll be able to convert many more people to Robinism before the game comes out.
While that's fine and all, it ultimately won't make a difference. The roster has already been decided. Whether or not people warm up more to the idea of Robin won't change the final product of the game.

Though it would be nice if more people acknowledged Robin as an actual possibility...

Hong

The Strongest
Is Chrom really so bad? I mean, for me I would rank my interest as Robin > Lucina > Chrom, but I still like Chrom a fair bit. I'd love to have him on board.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is Chrom really so bad? I mean, for me I would rank my interest as Robin > Lucina > Chrom, but I still like Chrom a fair bit. I'd love to have him on board.
Well, I personally don't dislike Chrom as a character. I enjoyed him in Awakening, and I guess I wouldn't mind seeing at least some character from that game. However, I feel like he just doesn't do the Fire Emblem series justice in terms of representation. It's not all blue-haired swordsmen, there's so much more to it than that. That's one of the reasons I like Robin as a character choice. He represents those other key elements of Fire Emblem, like magic and tactics, that Chrom cannot. I just think Chrom would be a fairly bland character choice, and not the best representative of the Fire Emblem series we could get.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Sadly Chrom has the greater chance of being put in and Robin is the second most likely to be put in, or they'll put both. Lucina on the other hand will probably be put in as an alternate costume, as she may be percieved as to similar to Marth.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'll take it gladly, since they don't seem to want it. Thank you for posting it. If the OP is still being updated, could I be added to the "Tacticians" list?

Also, I'm in the same boat as @ Hong Hong . Same order, and I'd be fine with Chrom as well. However, if Robin gets into the game, I'll cheer. A mix of magic and swordplay sounds like it would be a fun combination to use, and I love their (Hir? I was never clear which pronoun to use with Robin) design.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I think Vincent and Victor would be a better choice as a FE rep. Besides, they could work like the Ice Climbers.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you, Hong. Chrom won't be the end of the world for me and I'll probably use him on occasion. It depends on his playstyle and speed. I just can't help but want Robin and even Lucina a tad bit more. I would even want to play as Tiki more (who wouldn't want to play as a Manakete?)

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Anyways, Robin would be the better choice. Chrom should be a pokeball assist instead.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Oh I just realized after watching a video of Ike's moves, Robin's entrance could be the rescue staff like in Awakening where he is a ball of energy appearing like the rescue staff in the game

Hong

The Strongest
Oh I just realized after watching a video of Ike's moves, Robin's entrance could be the rescue staff like in Awakening where he is a ball of energy appearing like the rescue staff in the game
Kind of off topic, but if Lucina shows up, it would be cool if she came out of the same portal she does when she appears in Awakening.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I really want one Awakening character in Smash, i don't care if is Robin, Chrom, Lucina or male Morgan with blue hair.

But I think Robin is the best choice (off topic, i play Awakening 1868 hours according to the activity log, yes i have a problem.)

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
An alternate costume for Robin could be Grima, then you'll play as the dragon. It'd be 10 times bigger than Bowser.

IronFish

Smash Ace
What I don't get is why does everyone expect stance change Robin? S/He could just use a sword for melee and magic for specials!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What I don't get is why does everyone expect stance change Robin? S/He could just use a sword for melee and magic for specials!
For me, that's just my favorite way of implementing Robin's ability to use magic and weapons, since it perfectly reflects what s/he does in the games and introduces a new play style. But it's not the only way Robin could be implemented, as you said. Just one interesting possibility.

IronFish

Smash Ace
For me, that's just my favorite way of implementing Robin's ability to use magic and weapons, since it perfectly reflects what s/he does in the games and introduces a new play style. But it's not the only way Robin could be implemented, as you said. Just one interesting possibility.
well okay be remember that would just be a rehash of transforming characters and those were removed...

Hong

The Strongest
I imagined a caster that relies on traps and space control, personally. Robin should overcome her foes with her intellect.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I imagined a caster that relies on traps and space control, personally. Robin should overcome her foes with her intellect.
My ideal moveset is actually that after some thought. It fits a tactician the most, setting up opponents in the traps that she has laid.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
well okay be remember that would just be a rehash of transforming characters and those were removed...
Not necessarily. The thing with transforming characters was that each form was their own unique character, each with different levels of speed, power, weight, etc. Switching between weapons alone wouldn't change the basic properties of the character, only the method of attack. As a result, there would be less of a learning curve compared to transforming characters.

IronFish

Smash Ace
My ideal moveset is actually that after some thought. It fits a tactician the most, setting up opponents in the traps that she has laid.
I would think Rally Spectrum would be one of the moves and work like WFT's deep breathing

And also having a space based moveset would work very well I think with just a few Magic attacks or something with previously mentioned Rally Spectrum and swordplay for melee would make an interesting character
Robin would be a very ranged character with actually melee abilities as well

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
also when mentioning Robin can we say S/He not "He" or "She' or say Him/Her or their or something please?
I don't see the problem with that. I default feminine pronouns for just about everything that isn't specific.

It's a given that you can interpret Robin how you would like her. Do you imagine Robin as a burly man? A pretty woman? A pretty man? A burly woman? An egnimatic hooded figure? That is up to you. I am not going to start asking people who call Robin "he" to change how they approach it, because I know full well what they mean and I wouldn't dare wish for them to have to bother with typing four more characters every time they want to do something so little as a pronoun.

Now if we are defaulting genders onto something like an occupation, then yeah, I'll get all feminist on you. But for Robin, that's a whole different matter entirely. In some ways, even calling her "Robin" is partially a community choice.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I don't see the problem with that. I default feminine pronouns for just about everything that isn't specific.

It's a given that you can interpret Robin how you would like her. Do you imagine Robin as a burly man? A pretty woman? A pretty man? A burly woman? An egnimatic hooded figure? That is up to you. I am not going to start asking people who call Robin "he" to change how they approach it, because I know full well what they mean and I wouldn't dare wish for them to have to bother with typing four more characters every time they want to do something so little as a pronoun.

Now if we are defaulting genders onto something like an occupation, then yeah, I'll get all feminist on you. But for Robin, that's a whole different matter entirely. In some ways, even calling her "Robin" is partially a community choice.
Sorry just a little peeve of mine... Sorry XD

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
also when mentioning Robin can we say S/He not "He" or "She' or say Him/Her or their or something please?
I don't think it matters; people image Robin differently. Some people refer to her as female because that's what they prefer and played as first. Robin is still Robin, regardless of the sex used to describe them.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Something of note is that most of our newcomers have fulfilled a fighter niche that Smash was missing at one point.

Mega Man: [Pure] Sniper (Samus and Link were arguably this archetype, but Mega Man is the definition of it.)
Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac: Power-Up
Rosalina: Puppeteer

Want to know another archetype that we're missing?

Stance Changers.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Something of note is that most of our newcomers have fulfilled a fighter niche that Smash was missing at one point.

Mega Man: [Pure] Sniper (Samus and Link were arguably this archetype, but Mega Man is the definition of it.)
Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac: Power-Up
Rosalina: Puppeteer

Want to know another archetype that we're missing?

Stance Changers.
It just doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd see in a smash game in my opinion

Hong

The Strongest
Stance changing just hasn't been successful in general. Namco continues to try to make stance changing viable in their own products, and have failed to do so. You get a stance that you like, and the other stance is just a useless move or a penalty. Even looking at Street Fighter's Gen, crafted from very experienced designers, his stances are integral but don't feel like they bring anything interesting to the product.

If we really want to dig deep into the barrel, the way I can think of stance changing being something that is cool or interesting, is if actions performed in one stance, empower the other. Example: Combo with the sword stance, finish with the spell stance.

But that does not really accomplish anything, does it? You could have had a spell that grows stronger whenever you deal sword strikes, or a spell that makes the next sword strike deal way more damage.

I would love to see a developer prove to me that there is a worthwhile reason for making a character in a fighting game into a stance changer, but so far there have been only dozens of failures.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Stance changing just hasn't been successful in general. Namco continues to try to make stance changing viable in their own products, and have failed to do so. You get a stance that you like, and the other stance is just a useless move or a penalty. Even looking at Street Fighter's Gen, crafted from very experienced designers, his stances are integral but don't feel like they bring anything interesting to the product.

If we really want to dig deep into the barrel, the way I can think of stance changing being something that is cool or interesting, is if actions performed in one stance, empower the other. Example: Combo with the sword stance, finish with the spell stance.

But that does not really accomplish anything, does it? You could have had a spell that grows stronger whenever you deal sword strikes, or a spell that makes the next sword strike deal way more damage.

I would love to see a developer prove to me that there is a worthwhile reason for making a character in a fighting game into a stance changer, but so far there have been only dozens of failures.
Smash has never really been a "traditional" fighting game so I don't think the same archetypes apply

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Yeah I've never been a fan of stances in fighting games either.
It's a really cool concept on paper but as Hong pointed out it usually just creates a skill level hurdle to play the character without any advantages. And that's the best case scenario.

I like the idea of traps as a mechanic to show Robin as a cunning fighter but it really wasn't something that had to do with the gameplay of Awakening which I find about as important to represent well as the character's personality.

Maybe something where you can basicly fake-out specials by pressing B again during the animation? Or something like the "neutral B" and "side B"-moves I suggested for a moveset before?

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I honestly wouldn't like having a Rally move on Robin's set when there's so many more interesting possibilities. Especially if it would work like another character's ability.
Doesn't help that I pretty much never used the Rallys in Awakening :D Always feels like such a wasted turn and skill slot. Not saying they are bad, I could imagine them actually being quite helpful, I just don't like 'em.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey uh, guys? I've had a little change of heart.

A stance change set is pretty unlikely now, since Sakurai wants us to focus on "one moveset".

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
They should add her/him/Robin as a cleric/priest. Then he/she/Robin could heal himself/herself anywhere in battle. She/He/Robin could attack by beating them with a staff. Also, since female Robin versus male Robin is a problem, why not make her/him/Robin both? That way everyone can be happy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom