• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My idea for Flux is, its relatively weak, but unlike the others, it seeps into the ground and activates only when someone steps over it. And yes, I can definitely see Ruin being a high-powered dark magic that has no healing. I was also thinking about Luna until I realized Luna wasn't in Awakening.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's another example of why I hate following tradition for the sake of following tradition.

I get it. Counter reflects the mechanics of Fire Emblem, where a unit will counter a unit that has just attacked them, granted the aggressor is in range and they victim survived.

And yes, it makes sense for Marth and Ike. They are masters of close-quarters combat. In their design, they use Counter, exceptional grab reach and a disjointed hitbox in conjunction to control their enemy within their effective range. Counter is used maybe once every five sets, sure, but the intent makes sense.

Counter has no business being on Robin. She is fair in close-quarters, but that's not her area of expertise.
It's true, I remembered why after I posted last night. All the same, I've only thought of Counter as an actual skill, and obviously it doesn't make sense on Robin, I just find it funny h/she is the only one that can use the actual skill and doesn't get it.

God damn right, too, because that's dumb.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Flux can serve as the weaker counterpart to Nosferatu, being quicker and having more uses, while the stronger variant can be Waste, which is a two-hit attack, giving Robin an extra hitbox to work with, at the expense of less uses and lack of healing.

With Robin, there's a whole new facet to customizable moves now. It's no longer about speed vs. power, but also there's the question of a custom tome's durability.

Man Robin, why is your gameplay so deep?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I would also support Goetia (massive damage) and Waste (strike twice) as Dark Magic options. Mainly Ruin and Mire though of course.

Celica's Gale - Could work like Pikachu's recovery in that you can shoot two directions/Robin could dish out two blasts in succession [Based on Gale's effect of striking twice].

Katarina's Bolt - Basically Ruin (not as high crit chance though) effect, but they could give this effect for Robin's Thunder tome options and implement others for Dark Magic since there's a wonderful variety there.

Micaiah's Pyre/Book of Naga- Would be interesting to see implemented as a self-boost (could kind of work like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing in that you have to get the timing to trigger the effect) to have Robin take a little less damage from physical attacks and projectiles for a short period of time [Based on Pyre's effect in boosting DEF and RES].

@ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan - Because he's the best tactician ever ;)

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Which Fire Emblem games exactly are considered good by the fandom? I have played only Sacred Stones and a bit of Awakening and I liked both. I am currently playing Path of Radiance and it is also pretty good (though the 3D models are SO ugly in this game). I have seen people bashing most games in this series, including Awakening, so idk.
They're all good. ;) My personal favorite is FE7 (just Fire Emblem) because it was my first. PoR and RD are really good, though.

Last edited:

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Well, see, what I mean is, the other ones wouldn't heal at all. Nosferatu is the only FE magic that drains life. A different dark magic wouldn't heal, but it could deal massive damage, while another one deal more knockback or something.
Oh ok see what you mean. Don't know too much about FE in general so thanks for responding and sharing your opinion on this! :)

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Which Fire Emblem games exactly are considered good by the fandom? I have played only Sacred Stones and a bit of Awakening and I liked both. I am currently playing Path of Radiance and it is also pretty good (though the 3D models are SO ugly in this game). I have seen people bashing most games in this series, including Awakening, so idk.
Well I for one didn't like Awakening at all. Except for Lucina, Robin, and a few other characters. It was way to easy, the plot felt off to me, and the story (mainly because of Chrom) felt a bit boring. The only other 2 I've played are Ike's games. And I thought they were both amazing. I think the story was overall better and I liked pretty much all of the characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only game that was not positively received was Shadow Dragon. I haven't played it, so I can't say for myself though.

The console and GBA games are all excellent though. The best ones according to me are FE7 and FE9.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hopefully we'll learn more about Robin's moveset. I want to know more about Elwind.

Also, you know how his tomes change the effect of his standards? We saw him using a jab combo with his Fire Tome. I think that Wind infinite/finisher on the ground was his jab when he had the wind tome in his hand. The one with Kirby? Im pretty sure thats a consecutive hit.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully we'll learn more about Robin's moveset. I want to know more about Elwind.

Also, you know how his tomes change the effect of his standards? We saw him using a jab combo with his Fire Tome. I think that Wind infinite/finisher on the ground was his jab when he had the wind tome in his hand. The one with Kirby? Im pretty sure thats a consecutive hit.
Yeah, that was suggested a few pages back. Lending credence to this is if you examine the frames before the wind attack on Kirby, you can see Robin finishing a slash that looks very much like part of his jab combo on Falcon.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Geneology of the Holy War are all great. Fire Emblem is also quite good. Of the GBA games, Sacred Stones is considered the worst, but its because its the easiest due to the ability to participate in skirmishes similar to Awakening. Awakening being easy and "cheapened" is why its bashed by diehard FE fans.
Ironically, those are the same reasons Sacred Stones and Awakening are my favorite.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yeah, that was suggested a few pages back. Lending credence to this is if you examine the frames before the wind attack on Kirby, you can see Robin finishing a slash that looks very much like part of his jab combo on Falcon.
Im also pretty sure the pic on the site is the jab combo for his Dark Tome. So we essentially know his jab combo for all except Thunder? I dont know, theres so much creativity to his moveset.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Im also pretty sure the pic on the site is the jab combo for his Dark Tome. So we essentially know his jab combo for all except Thunder? I dont know, theres so much creativity to his moveset.
This move?

Because he's holding the Thunder tome for this one. And since we've seen his whole animations for all four of his Thunder moves, and he doesn't lift his sword like that for any of them, it can't be tied to Thunder.

So either this is Thunder Jab's combo finisher, or it could be his uptilt, based on the appearance of the move.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Which pic?

This move?

Because he's holding the Thunder tome for this one. And since we've seen his whole animations for all four of his Thunder moves, and he doesn't lift his sword like that for any of them, it can't be tied to Thunder.

So either this is Thunder Jab's combo finisher, or it could be his uptilt, based on the appearance of the move.
This is his Grab, I'm fairly certain.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification then. Youre right, its either the finisher for Thunder or an Up Tilt. Id say the Thunder finisher since his other tilts dont seem to use the tomes.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
This is his Grab, I'm fairly certain.
That's a possibility I didn't think about. It seems flashier than a tilt would be. Guess that could be his Down throw or Up throw.

Id say the Thunder finisher since his other tilts dont seem to use the tomes.
He still holds the tome regardless of whether he does a tilt or not. So it can be an up tilt, and he's holding the Thunder tome because it's just what he's holding at the time.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification then. Youre right, its either the finisher for Thunder or an Up Tilt. Id say the Thunder finisher since his other tilts dont seem to use the tomes.
At about 1:22 Robin uses her Grab, it is visually identical to this pic. She also has a Wind Tome equipped at that moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ytrX0wweA

D

Deleted member

To clear up confusion:

Robin's grab/throw animation has him holding the opponent with his Sword Hand with the sword in reverse grip.

Thus, as @ ToothiestAura ToothiestAura said, this:

Is more than likely the grab, perhaps a U-Throw.

Edit: Half-:4greninja:

Last edited by a moderator:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Awakening isn't exactly easy. It's more that it's difficulty levels are unbalanced. Normal mode is piss easy no matter what you do. Hard mode isn't really hard. Lunatic mode is a pain in the ass. Lunatic+ is ****ing sadistic.

When talking about the difficulty of FE it is normally presumed that you are talking about the hardest mode and a no grind play through. Under those conditions. Yea. Awakening is ****ing hard. A very very cheap hard. But even if you were to just base it on regular Lunatic, chapter 1 makes it hard by it's own lonesome (even without Lunatic+ it is still luck based lol).

My problem with Awakening has more to do with maps and goals. The maps have very little variety between them, they are basically all ginormous with a butt load of enemies in big open spaces, and all with the same goal of route the enemy or kill the leader. Strategy just seemed moot in the game. 9/10 times you were better off just brute forcing your way in.

One thing it did right, however, was characters. It made you care about most of the character instead of just a handful of them.

It's a great game for the FE newb. But for a lot of FE vets it's flaws are quite apparent.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
To clear up confusion:

Robin's grab/throw animation has him holding the opponent with his Sword Hand with the sword in reverse grip.

Thus, as @ ToothiestAura ToothiestAura said, this:

Is more than likely the grab, perhaps a U-Throw or the pummel.

Edit: Half-:4greninja:
Ah, the sword is a bit higher than usual, it could be the beginning of Robin's Up Throw, yes.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Just now realized that that pummel is a combination of every tome Robin uses except for fire.

The purple aura centering on Diddy just before the hit for Dark.

The sparks that confirm the hit for Thunder.

And the small tornado around Diddy after the hit for Wind.

Diddy just needs to be billowing smoke to represent fire so this could be the perfect pummel.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, personally, I feel that Fire Emblem: Awakening is a different beast entirely compared to the rest of the series. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great TRPG; The problem is, people keep comparing it to the "rest of the series." Despite the huge amounts of Continuity Cavalcade, Fire Emblem: Awakening is meant to be a step in a new direction. It's awesome! It's just everyone seems to think that this is supposed to be just another Fire Emblem game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Just now realized that that pummel is a combination of every tome Robin uses except for fire.

The purple aura centering on Diddy just before the hit for Dark.

The sparks that confirm the hit for Thunder.

And the small tornado around Diddy after the hit for Wind.

Diddy just needs to be billowing smoke to represent fire so this could be the perfect pummel.
It could happen, perhaps, if you pummel longer? Nice catch. I like it even more now.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
That actually sounds pretty dope! I wouldn't mind that combo working at low percents I think the El Fire's last hit could may have a finisher that has increased knockback. so you can't follow up with another grab.

Look how the Villager is launched at the end of being hit by El Fire.

I'm also curious to see his customizable moves.

Also i made a video on the scans.
Actually if you look a little closer, villager uses his rocket and jumps of it, it is not a "finishing hit". This shows that it is propably not as "stunning" as PKF or that there is a small timeframe before one is caught in it. Nice catch!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah, personally, I feel that Fire Emblem: Awakening is a different beast entirely compared to the rest of the series. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great TRPG; The problem is, people keep comparing it to the "rest of the series." Despite the huge amounts of Continuity Cavalcade, Fire Emblem: Awakening is meant to be a step in a new direction. It's awesome! It's just everyone seems to think that this is supposed to be just another Fire Emblem game.
I liked the game, but if they continue in this direction the series will get worse. Awakening made a lot of good steps, but also a lot of bad ones. If this is truly the new direction, many will be sad. However, I doubt IS will continue in exactly this fashion.

It really isn't that different from previous FE games at all. My main gripes with it have nothing to do with actual changes to its FE base (the Pair Up mechanic is great and the DLC was probably better than the actual campaign) they have to do with a poor story in a series that had taken incredible steps with storytelling in it's past few releases, stretching itself thin with too many characters, poor map design, and some generic anime-trope characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually if you look a little closer, villager uses his rocket and jumps of it, it is not a "finishing hit". This shows that it is propably not as "stunning" as PKF or that there is a small timeframe before one is caught in it. Nice catch!
Actually no, he gets on the Gyroid rocket but if you watch his facial expression and bodily movements (as well as the fire effects) closely, you can see that he does in fact get hit by Robin's Arcfire pillar and is knocked off of the rocket.

If he was simply jumping off of the rocket, he would not have gone flying in a hitstun animation (with the smoke trail being an additional indication that he was sent flying by an attack) like he does.

Just trying to clear up confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
No, if you look closely you seem his eyes go wide, fire effects on him and a trail of smoke following him. This is not how one jumps. It does, in fact, harm once he gets on his Lloid Rocket.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Maybe the Lloid Rocket has some knockback resistance as Villager climbs on. You can see he's slightly on fire as he's climbing up.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Yes he does get hit, but when that happens he is already at the very tip of the flame, and this isn't the only occasion that shows arcfire.

You can see here that Shiek is slowly pushed out of the flame, so i guess the most likely thing to happen would be them getting send flying when they break free from it. It SHOULD give you more than enough time to run in and do a throw though. Or charge up to ArcThunder. Or get that Levin-Sword out for some smashin'.

Too bad there is nothing hinting at a floating mechanic like peach has it (only shorter/weaker)...it would explain how to rescue yourself when your ElWind charges run out. Also in the games airmagic also has that "flying" subeffect.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
PT players are supposed to use all 3 Pokemon as a single, cohesive team, as PT represents the gameplay itself of Pokemon (similar to how Robin's weapon decay ammo reflects Fire Emblem's actual gameplay in comparison to Marth/Roy/Ike/Lucina.)
But it's so much easier and faster to just pick the Water or Fire starter (water works easier, but fire can work too) and just solo the game.

Generally Path of Radiance is highly regarded by the handful of people who actually played it. In all aspects aside from presentation (audio, visual), it's a magnificent work of art.
I'm still bitter about that one unit you get with only like, 15% of the game left. And it isn't like Blazing Sword where it was some god-esque character, either. Was just a normal Paladin.

That said, Genealogy (FE4) is still my #1, but Awakening is my #2. Blazing Sword (FE7) is slightly behind that.

From personal experience, it felt like they went for a remake, but got tired after upgrading the graphics. So instead of adding anything new, they just let you change classes (if I recall, there wasn't even any restrictions). The maps were repetitive, and the AI wasn't as good as any of the other games that had come out in the US.

the Pair Up mechanic is great
I actually felt the Pair Up (or Dual System) mechanic of the game was its worst aspect. I loved the shipping, don't mistake that, but the pairing up just made you so obscenely stronger than every enemy. And you couldn't even really avoid it, since you couldn't form character walls without it auto pairing.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Guess I'll introduce myself as well.

I'm Sonic Storm. Feel free to call me that, or Razor Wind. Friends call me Johan.

I can't remember exactly why I got Smash Bros. 64 in the first place, but I did enjoy it. Back then, the only characters I really knew were the Mario Bros. and the Pokemon :p. Originally got Melee because it was rated T and eleven-year old me wanted it as a sign of my maturity to my folks. Favorites in that game were Doc Mario, Mewtwo, and Pichu. Never cared to know who Marth and Roy were, they never were on my radar. Can't remember exactly why I got Brawl either, since I didn't keep track of Dojo updates, but I got it and stayed a Sonic main after January 2009, and got into the competitive scene in 2010. I've dabbled in PM now and then, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm looking to get the Brawl scene here revived and see what we can do to make the game interesting for others again. Again, Marth and Ike were not on my radar, but I knew they were part of Fire Emblem and that this franchise was overseas now.

My first foray into Fire Emblem was when I rented Radiant Dawn in 2007. I only got as far as Part 2 Endgame, you should know why. Later in 2012, I went to my local Gamestop and saw a used copy of Shadow Dragon. I thought "Oh hey, this is that remake of the game with Marth. Guess I can give it a shot." Aaaand I loved it. It was a glorified chess game that forced you to think your moves beforehand or else you're playing the rest of the game on a handicap. It was so different to the platformers I've played, and more focused than Pokemon and Paper Mario were. I couldn't understand why I waited so long after my experience with Radiant Dawn to try this game again. I next found a copy of Path of Radiance at a used games store and immediately snagged it. If I thought the game with Marth was good, maybe the game with Ike is good too, right? To this day, Path of Radiance is my favorite GCN game, and (combined with Radiant Dawn to form Fire Emblem Tellius) one of my top 5. Found Radiant Dawn a few months later and bought that game that time around, and just a few months ago acquired FE7.

When I heard FE:A was coming overseas, I was stoked. I tried the demo out, and immediately took to Robin. His appearance, his use of swords and magic, it just worked for me. Then I bought the actual game, and I steadfastly proclaimed that "Robin needs to be in the next Smash Bros. Another one is surely going to come, and he needs to be in it."

Cue E3 2013 and the official Smash Bros. 4 confirmation, and my opinions did not change. I did not care what the roster and the game looked like, I did not care what the Gematsu leak said, I just knew I wanted Robin in Smash more than anything else. And, well, there's a reason I'm typing this in a Robin main social thread. (I have page 144 of the Robin discussion thread bookmarked for future readings, just to see the hype that occurred the moment "Time to tip the sca-Robin Brings the Thunder!!" happened. :))

My favorite FE game is, again, PoR and RD combined. Having preferred PoR's gameplay and RD's story, I can't think of one without the other. My favorite character is Prince Pelleas, followed by Robin, and then the Black Knight. Favorite class is the Dark Mage.

I guess that's it. Hope to get know more of you soon. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom