• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
ZeRo is gonna blitzkrieg all the way to grand finals.

I'm calling it.

Last edited:

Rukia

Enamored
Unexpectedly magenta. How fitting, it matches with my avatar as well.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Got 17th in my first offline tournament out of 200 entrants. Not too shabby! :3
That's awesome! Sounds like you kicked some serious butt! :dr^_^:

In other news, the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans just came out today, and OH MY GAWD IT'S SO DAMN GOOD ALREADY! The animation is beautiful, crisp, and clean. No corner cutting CGI here! The fight scenes were super tense, dramatic, and overall just very well done. The characters and story are really solid so far, it all feels very visceral and grounded, unlike the previous series G-Reco, which was an "all-over-the-place" mess of a story. I'm already loving half the cast (and loving to hate the other half)! I think it really helped that they did a good job introducing these characters in the promotional material, but the first episode by itself still does a fantastic job of introducing these characters to the audience without feeling forced or rushed. Oh, and the OST so far is GODLY, but that's pretty par for the course for Gundam.

To summarize, I'm already very impressed and hungry for more! If you enjoy no-holds-barred visceral war series, willing to tackle plenty of dark and depressing social issues (most notably independence and child-soldiers), with a heaping helping of futuristic giant robot action, then look no further than Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans!

Here's a link to the episode subbed in English for anyone interested -
http://gogoanime.tv/mobile-suit-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-episode-1

Only one thing left to say........

RAISE YOUR FLAG!
WITH ALL YOUR VOICE! WITH ALL YOUR VOICE!
SHOUT IT OUT LOUD WITH ALL YOUR VOICE!

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
That's awesome! Sounds like you kicked some serious butt! :dr^_^:

In other news, the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans just came out today, and OH MY GAWD IT'S SO DAMN GOOD ALREADY! The animation is beautiful, crisp, and clean. No corner cutting CGI here! The fight scenes were super tense, dramatic, and overall just very well done. The characters and story are really solid so far, it all feels very visceral and grounded, unlike the previous series G-Reco, which was an "all-over-the-place" mess of a story. I'm already loving half the cast (and loving to hate the other half)! I think it really helped that they did a good job introducing these characters in the promotional material, but the first episode by itself still does a fantastic job of introducing these characters to the audience without feeling forced or rushed. Oh, and the OST so far is GODLY, but that's pretty par for the course for Gundam.

To summarize, I'm already very impressed and hungry for more! If you enjoy no-holds-barred visceral war series, willing to tackle plenty of dark and depressing social issues (most notably independence and child-soldiers), with a heaping helping of futuristic giant robot action, then look no further than Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans!

Here's a link to the episode subbed in English for anyone interested -
http://gogoanime.tv/mobile-suit-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-episode-1

Only one thing left to say........

RAISE YOUR FLAG!
WITH ALL YOUR VOICE! WITH ALL YOUR VOICE!
SHOUT IT OUT LOUD WITH ALL YOUR VOICE!
I'm hoping it's at least 20 episodes and not airing in multiple cours.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I'm hoping it's at least 20 episodes and not airing in multiple cours.
I'm not sure if it's been explicitly stated anywhere, but I'm pretty sure that this is planned to be a complete Gundam series, not like G-Reco or Age.

-Edit-

PAGE GET! I HEREBY DEDICATE THIS PAGE TO THE CHRYSE GUARD SECURITY'S THIRD GROUP!

Last edited:

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
I'm not sure if it's been explicitly stated anywhere, but I'm pretty sure that this is planned to be a complete Gundam series, not like G-Reco or Age.

-Edit-

PAGE GET! I HEREBY DEDICATE THIS PAGE TO THE CHRYSE GUARD SECURITY'S THIRD GROUP!

Yeah and even G-Reco had 20 episodes so there's that. The only Gundam series I've seen is 00 so I'm just hoping this series lasts as long.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
This doesn't really belong to the Q&A thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm really happy with my progress as Robin, but I could use a secondary for characters like Mario, R.O.B and the rushdowns... I can't find anyone on the roster with a similar quick-but-powerful-and-disjointed airgame to him, and I won't lie; I rely too much on his Arcthunders and Arcfires for setups. Also that Nosferatu is one of my favourite ways to mixup, being an air-grab and all. Any recommendations?

I thought of the following, but they all have big weaknesses for me:

:4mii::4miisword: So zetta slow!
:4wiifit:Relies on unpredictability, which I lack
:4samus: Whiffs too much, and has trouble finishing off.
:4lucario: Tootpick range, and too slow.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rayquaza is making Rosalina officially top tier(again)

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
This doesn't really belong to the Q&A thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm really happy with my progress as Robin, but I could use a secondary for characters like Mario, R.O.B and the rushdowns... I can't find anyone on the roster with a similar quick-but-powerful-and-disjointed airgame to him, and I won't lie; I rely too much on his Arcthunders and Arcfires for setups. Also that Nosferatu is one of my favourite ways to mixup, being an air-grab and all. Any recommendations?

I thought of the following, but they all have big weaknesses for me:

:4mii::4miisword: So zetta slow!
:4wiifit:Relies on unpredictability, which I lack
:4samus: Whiffs too much, and has trouble finishing off.
:4lucario: Tootpick range, and too slow.
You want a character with a quick but powerful disjointed airgame that complements Robin? Hmm, hard to say, especially since if you're willing to play a top tier than you may run the risk of making your Robin obsolete from a competitive match-up spread pov (i.e. if you pick up Sheik, then from a competitive pov just stick with Sheik).

Have you tried Roy? Roy can actually play a pretty decent passive aggressive game and wall style with nair, jab, etc. Personally, I find Robin does fine against Mario, ROB, and many rushdown characters but if you want to try another character, my personal opinion is to at least try Roy.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
You want a character with a quick but powerful disjointed airgame that complements Robin? Hmm, hard to say, especially since if you're willing to play a top tier than you may run the risk of making your Robin obsolete from a competitive match-up spread pov (i.e. if you pick up Sheik, then from a competitive pov just stick with Sheik).

Have you tried Roy? Roy can actually play a pretty decent passive aggressive game wall with nair, jab, etc. Personally, I find Robin does fine against Mario, ROB, and many rushdown characters but if you want to try another character, my personal opinion to at least try Roy.
I hadn't considered Roy actually, but that's mostly due to his reputation. He's called "Little Mac with a sword" a lot of the time I find. I'm already taunted enough on For Glory (the only place I can practice since Anther's doesn't seem to be fond of me) so I'm worried about all the replays people will share of my inevitable initial losses. :p

R.O.B in particular is a nightmare for me as Robin. :(

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Yeah and even G-Reco had 20 episodes so there's that. The only Gundam series I've seen is 00 so I'm just hoping this series lasts as long.
Yeah, Gundam 00 is the normal length of most Gundam series.

Also, huge shoutouts to Esam taking the first game off ZeRo! :025::025::025:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I got bored, so I made up a tier list to see if anyone had problems...because...the internet.

NO ORDER AT ALL

S::4sheik::rosalina::4zss::4pikachu:
A+::4mario::4sonic::4ryu::4falcon::4diddy::4fox::4yoshi::4wario2::4ness::4luigi::4pacman:
A-::4pit::4darkpit::4metaknight::4peach::4myfriends::4rob::4darkpit::4villager::4olimar::4miibrawl::4dk::4greninja:
B+::4megaman::4tlink::4lucas::4bowser::4bowserjr::4robinm::4charizard::4wiifit:
B-::4falco::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4marth::4shulk::4gaw::4kirby::4lucario:
C::4palutena::4lucina::4drmario::4miisword::4jigglypuff::4link:
D::4mewtwo::4ganondorf::4miigun::4dedede:
F::4samus::4zelda:

Alts Tier List
S::4robinf::4roy:
A::4ludwig::4larry:
B::4alph::4villagerf:
C::4morton::4mii::4miif:
D::4lemmy::4iggy:
F::4wiifitm::4wendy:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058

Have you tried Roy? Roy can actually play a pretty decent passive aggressive game and wall style with nair, jab, etc. Personally, I find Robin does fine against Mario, ROB, and many rushdown characters but if you want to try another character, my personal opinion is to at least try Roy.
It's not going well. I need a projectile to stay in the game it seems; at close combat, they all just roll away from me, and I can't catch them.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
It's not going well. I need a projectile to stay in the game it seems; at close combat, they all just roll away from me, and I can't catch them.
Didn't you just quote me like 20 minutes ago? Don't tell me that's how much time you put into Roy. No character takes that short amount of time to even be remotely semi-competent. I mean, it's fine if you don't like playing Roy but you still you need to give a little bit more time.

Also, I came up with another suggestion: the Pits.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Didn't you just quote me like 20 minutes ago? Don't tell me that's how much time you put into Roy. No character takes that short amount of time to even be remotely semi-competent. I mean, it's fine if you don't like playing Roy but you still you need to give a little bit more time.

Also, I came up with another suggestion: the Pits.
I'd played 10 FG games in that time and lost all of them 2-stocked. When I switched to Robin, I suddenly went on a win streak and was able to identify why. ^^;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd played 10 FG games in that time and lost all of them. When I switched to Robin, I suddenly went on a win streak and was able to identify why. ^^;
TBH FG isn't the best gauge of how well a character fits you.

There are all sorts of dumb factors that make FG not the best tool to gauge your overall character performance and synergy with a character.

Especially if you only played 10 games.

If you've been playing Robin for a while and then switch to a character that you've never really played you can't expect to perform at the same level.

Right now I would say the reason you played better with Robin is because you know the character, you don't know Roy very much at all right now (presumably) which would be why you lost.

-------------------

Nah Nah

If you're still alive somewhere I command you to use this avatar for the Month of October because Halloween.

tumblr_mxjbzjpCj81rq6o2xo1_500.jpg

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG NAH IS SO ADORABLE.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
So to sum up this weekend, tons of tacticians put in work at various levels of competitive play.
The Robin meta is sure to shift as a result.
Which is a wonderful prospect :colorful:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I'd played 10 FG games in that time and lost all of them 2-stocked. When I switched to Robin, I suddenly went on a win streak and was able to identify why. ^^;
Wait, so you immediately went to FG and expected even half decent results? You didn't play around in training mode to get a feel for him or do some research on him (you are on Smashboards after all)? If that's the case then of course you're gonna get bodied.

Again, it's fine if he doesn't click with you but I still personally feel you're being hasty in all of this.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Wait, so you immediately went to FG and expected even half decent results? You didn't play around in training mode to get a feel for him or do some research on him (you are on Smashboards after all)? If that's the case then of course you're gonna get bodied.

Again, it's fine if he doesn't click with you but I still personally feel you're being hasty in all of this.
Guess I went with the notion of "It's For Glory on a weekend." Maybe it only feels easier to win as Robin because of practice, as you say? I'll give him another try though, and Pit/Pitoo (Pit Stain). :D

EDIT: Just lost to someone using Ganon, who only used F-Tilt. Saw the replay uploaded a minute later. Feel like crying ;(

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
idk, I think that the ROB and Mario matchups kinda suck =/

Nah Nah

If you're still alive somewhere I command you to use this avatar for the Month of October because Halloween.

View attachment 76508

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG NAH IS SO ADORABLE.
yoooooooooooooooooo

Guess I went with the notion of "It's For Glory on a weekend." Maybe it only feels easier to win as Robin because of practice, as you say? I'll give him another try though, and Pit/Pitoo (Pit Stain). :D
He is right that it's gonna take a while to see what other characters will work for you. For the past couple of months I've been experimenting with :4falco::4littlemac: (and sometimes other people too) to see if they really click with me and/or cover some of Robin unfavorable MUs, an I'm still not sure if they do either of those things.

Oh and I know that people don't like FG/online play but sometimes that's the only way to quickly get matches against real people. Tho battling people on Smashboards is better.

I'd be willing to play you sometime Daxter. Dunno if I'd be able to help much, but hey

Last edited:
Top Bottom