• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
In the video, Robin said he had limited uses of tomes and was shown throwing away a Thunder tome.

That should be all you need to figure out that all his tomes will most likely have limited uses.
Yeah I think a lot of people just haven't rewatched the video with their hype at lowered levels and thus they are missing a lot of little things.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I bet Elwind is an attack that can be aimed, it shoots off twice, and each propels robin in the opposite direction, and you can definitely change the angle. I wonder how far is the max? 45*?

Also I'm going to assume each tome has 4 uses per stock as that seems reasonable. (It's going to be SOMEWHERE in the 2-6 range).

Also, your levin sword and each tome could have a shared timer that refreshes one use every 30 seconds. (Otherwise it is exhausted after 2 uses, uses stack as long as you're alive). OR it could have individual timers to refresh, with the timer starting on the first use and only refreshing up to 2 or 3. (or some combination of these mechanics)

Either way, Robin's looking to be one of the more interesting characters to play as.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the whole idea behind tomes breaking is because otherwise she'd be a tremendously spammy character.

After all, those look like really versatile projectiles.
It's an actual Fire Emblem mechanic. So, in reality, the reverse is probably true.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
The more people discuss the limited tome mechanic the more I seem to dislike it, it just seems pointlessly punishing for using your abilities. Maybe I'm just biased in the regard since I wasn't fond of managing Olimar's pikmin in brawl nor the Ice Climbers. If it really is like Wario's bike where you simply can't use it for a brief period then I'm sure I will be ok with it. (Especially considering they will likely be a bit stronger due to this mechanic temporarily disabling them.)

Still wondering how to pull out the Levin Sword however.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only reason I say him a lot is because when it showed the "Robin brings the thunder!" screen it was male Robin. If it was the female Robin I would be saying her a lot.
I know male Robin was the one shown, again, "to each their own." If you want to say him, go ahead. I'll continue saying her, though. Robin is the first character to be promoted as both male and female upon reveal so it really doesn't matter. :D

I just meant that I'll be maining female Robin rather than male.

Why do people keep worrying things are going to be horribly flawed? I'm sure there is a perfectly fine balancing mechanic for elwind as a recovery.
I find this very annoying as well. Elwind is an extremely powerful recovery move. The ability for tomes to be destroyed is intended to balance Robin out and add more Fire Emblem elements into Smash Bros.

PTSD Espurr

Smash Cadet
I have two questions to start us off:

1) Who is your favorite Fire Emblem character?
2) Who is your favorite blue haired lord?
1. Either the avatar from Awakening or Henry
2. Chrom
Some questions of my own:

1. What is your favorite class for Robin?
2. What is your favorite marriage partner for Robin/favorite Support Conversation(s)?
3. What is your favorite parent for Morgan (aside from Robin)?
1. Dread fighter all the way
2. 3 way tie between Lissa, Lucina, and Tharja
3. Same answer as previous question

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
From what I saw in the video, Elwind looked rather predictable to me and to only give a moderate boost. But that's just what it looked like, it could play out different in game.

I just saying. Don't jump to things being too powerful or too weak yet.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So I was just surfing on Bing to look for some awesome Robin fan art, and...could you imagine Validar trying to be an active and decent father for Robin?

image.jpg

D

Deleted member

So I was just surfing on Bing to look for some awesome Robin fan art, and...could you imagine Validar trying to be an active and decent father for Robin?

View attachment 18472
The only question I have is why is Validar white all of a sudden?

I accept it, was just wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The big concern I have for Elwind now is if it has Invincibility frames tacked onto it, at least for the time Robin is pushing from it, or if Robin himself is a hitbox during the move. If not, then opponents will have an easy time knocking Robin back offstage, forcing him to deplete his Elwind tome even further.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
No, Donkey Kong always just did the exact same animation but on the ground. Now his animation changes completely to attack in front of him. The difference with most characters is that their recoveries attack upwards, Robin's attacking down is kinda impossible when on the ground.
Hm.. you sure you're not thinking about a customizable move because Spinning Kong looks the same to me :p

And I wouldn't say impossible really. He points down and shoots Elwind which lifts him up. That's very similar to most Up Bs.

D

Deleted member

The big concern I have for Elwind now is if it has Invincibility frames tacked onto it, at least for the time Robin is pushing from it, or if Robin himself is a hitbox during the move. If not, then opponents will have an easy time knocking Robin back offstage, forcing him to deplete his Elwind tome even further.
Hopefully Robin's body will have some light damage hitbox around her or something else to deal damage on her ascent so that opponents can't be all like "lolno" and just dunk her in to the bottom blast zone/edgeguard her like nothing like they can do against Brawl Lucario's U-B.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
With the aid of a high res magazine scan, I was able to separate the two Robin renders.
I hope y'all enjoy them!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What exactly is a Smash Aerial? Something Robin unique?

PTSD Espurr

Smash Cadet
With the aid of a high res magazine scan, I was able to separate the two Robin renders.
I hope y'all enjoy them!
I know the answer to this is probably pretty obvious, but just to clarify, we have permission to use these right? Like, for example, for my avatar?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What exactly is a Smash Aerial? Something Robin unique?
Yes.

Sakurai talked about it in the PoTD, and Famitsu (or was it Corocoro?) magezine scan explained it further via his Fair.

Yes but how do you replenish it, is what I mean. Is it just like tomes (which we still don't know how they replenish).
Sakurai already explained that in the PoTD. It will regenerate after a set amount of time.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Hopefully Robin's body will have some light damage hitbox around her or something else to deal damage on her ascent so that opponents can't be like "lolno" and just dunk her in to the bottom blast zone/edgeguard her like nothing like they can do against Brawl Lucario's U-B.
Although, I gotta say, that's a funny image in my head.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Lucina's mask taunt is a great idea. I hope you can choose her to start with the mask before a battle.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Of of course hun! Thats why I'm posting them here, though your question is appreciated <3

Yea, it was a lot of fun, with the help of a magazine scan from nintendoeverything I was able to take the partly covered Robin render, and place it over the fully exposed render in the scan. the only parts from the scan are bits of Robins hair, her cloak, her hand and arm. Though I like to think I edited it enough that it's not easy to notice.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Hm.. you sure you're not thinking about a customizable move because Spinning Kong looks the same to me :p

And I wouldn't say impossible really. He points down and shoots Elwind which lifts him up. That's very similar to most Up Bs.
It doesn't change completely, but it is angled downward a bit now. This information came before Custom movesets were announced, so it probably isn't related.

D

Deleted member

Lucina's mask taunt is a great idea. I hope you can choose her to start with the mask before a battle.
You can in fact, and her mask taunt can either take her mask off or put it back on, I believe (according to the article of that Famitsu page that I posted a page or so ago).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Spinning Kong now has a different animation when he's grounded.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
It's an actual Fire Emblem mechanic. So, in reality, the reverse is probably true.
Well, yea, I know that, but there still must be an executive decision regarding whether the mechanic lends itself well to balancing the playstyle or not.

I mean, otherwise going by game mechanics Link could run out of arrows/bombs.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I just realized that we finally have a Fire Emblem character who actually incorporates elements of Fire Emblem gameplay.

... Let's hope it works out better than Pokemon Trainer did.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
The fact that Robin's recovery doesn't seem to protect her during ascent is part of the reason I think you might be able to use the attack multiple times in the air. It would allow you to skirt around your foe's edgeguarding attempts at the cost of using more durability.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I guess I'll give it a shot with the questions. Unfortunately my experience with FE is limited to Sacred Stones, Shadow Dragons and Awakening and looking to get physical copies of FE 7, Path Of Radiance and Raidant Dawn cause those are only U.S FE games I'm have left for my collection.
I have two questions to start us off:

1) Who is your favorite Fire Emblem character?
2) Who is your favorite blue haired lord?
1. Hmm thats hard a few I personally like I can never break it to just one character cause they are at least one or two every FE I played. Some of them are Joshua, Ephraim, Cordelia, Minerva, Ewan, Amelia, Sheema, Kjelle, Gillan, Tana, Cherche, Duessel, Innes, Virion, Ogma and Lon'Qu

2. Again my experience is limited so right now I'll say Marth but that will more than likely change when I play Genealogy of the Holy War.

The image is broken for me. :c

Some questions of my own:

1. What is your favorite class for Robin?
2. What is your favorite marriage partner for Robin/favorite Support Conversation(s)?
3. What is your favorite parent for Morgan (aside from Robin)?
1. Traditional Grandmaster for me. I know I'm bland lol.
2. Right now Lissa but that will more than likely change when I play Awakening again and look at more support conversations.
3. Again Lissa lol. I think Robin/Lissa is perfect lol and maybe Tharja afterwords.

As for an introduction I came into the smash scene back in 08 then really didnt get into the scene till 09 and started with Brawl but picked up melee as well later on before I retired in 2011 due to getting frustrated and drained of Brawl along with wanting to focus on life such as trying to find a college to attend. I still touched smash casually but mainly when I attended locals to hang out with folks or playing smash mods such as Brawl Minus or PM. I play traditional fighting games mainly Soul Calibur and Tekken during my smash absence and came back outta smash retirement at the end of last year with the smash documentary and Project M 3.0 and now looking to help out my scene with new players and the smash nonsense once Smash 4 comes out.

Outside of that I am a big Star Fox fan and play a character from that series as a main every game. So 64 I played Fox, Melee I learned Falco cause his short jump was easier to do than Fox and felt overall easier to play and his blaster and Down Air was stupid good lol along with Marth and Roy cause that ph13r but picked up Marth once I learned that Roy was terrible back in middle school. As for Brawl I picked up Falco after 2-3 months of a character crisis when I was starting out along with Marth and later Lucario and MK for Falco's bad matchups. As for PM I mosty play Roy, Marth, Falco and Zelda while having a pocket Bowser/Ganondorf/Mewtwo/Wolf/Fox and working on a Shiek and Ike.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Smash aerials are fantastic for Robin, since it'll undoubtedly give him another 4 KO moves to add to his Fire Jab Combo and Thoron. Assuming his Dsmash and Usmash are also potent kill moves, that gives Robin a staggering 8 viable kill moves to work with. That's amazing.

Buuuut I wish that the extra input to make aerials Smash aerials was also applied to Robin's traditional Smash attacks. I think I'd be a lot more comfortable using Smash attacks as a failsafe spacing tool if Robin didn't automatically swap to his Levin Sword for the blow. It would help keep your Levin Sword count low, at least.

D

Deleted member

I've been thinking about Elwind, and I've been thinking that perhaps it doesn't automatically send Robin straight up only. If that first blade of wind that hits Little Mac in the clip is a part of the Elwind U-B, then perhaps that first strike serves as "pre-recovery" strike that lifts Robin slightly while allowing enough time in between that and the second strike for the player to select a Direction for Robin to throw the second wind blade (the one that actually propels Robin a good distance), making Robin's U-B actually omnidirectional like Fox's. Of course this doesn't solve Robin's hitbox/vulnerability issues as she flies through the air, but it was just a thought I had so that Robin's recovery won't be extremely predictable (by that I mean going straight up only).

EDIT: The article about the Famitsu Column (that translated it):
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-drain-health-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/

says that for Elwind
Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simulataneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses. Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.
Whether or not the "limited uses" pertains to the durability of the Elwind tome itself or the number of times Robin can use Elwind before entering a somewhat helpless state has yet to be seen.

It also has yet to be seen if by shooting the wind downwards they mean Robin can shoot himself straight up or not.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about Elwind, and I've been thinking that perhaps it doesn't automatically send Robin straight up only. If that first blade of wind that hits Little Mac in the clip is a part of the Elwind U-B, then perhaps that first strike serves as "pre-recovery" strike that lifts Robin slightly while allowing enough time in between that and the second strike for the player to select a Direction for Robin to throw the second wind blade (the one that actually propels Robin a good distance), making Robin's U-B actually omnidirectional like Fox's. Of course this doesn't solve Robin's hitbox/vulnerability issues as she flies through the air, but it was just a thought I had so that Robin's recovery won't be extremely predictable (by that I mean going straight up only).
I find this especially likely given that we can see him using Elwind diagonally in one of the images on his page.

Top Bottom