• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

My problem with sonic is that he basically loses to any lingering hitbox. I'm not joking, its pretty bad.

Sonic is actually one of my many pockets that I play in friendlies, I love him and I think he's pretty good but that one thing alone REALLY bothers me.
you have more experience than me i guess, but i have a hard time seeing a character with that much movement "losing" to anything that better movement and/or waiting better wouldn't solve. maybe i'd just have to see it in action.

D

Deleted member

He has incredible mobility, but 0 priority. He is also kind of easy to gimp now, and just some silly stuff in general has been toned down to where he's good but not top 10 or anything lol

didds

Smash Lord
you have more experience than me i guess, but i have a hard time seeing a character with that much movement "losing" to anything that better movement and/or waiting better wouldn't solve. maybe i'd just have to see it in action.
how would you say you feel about squirtle relative to the rest of the cast? if you don't mind my asking

D

Deleted member

Top tier:fox:::wolf::falco::roypm::sheik::lucario:
High tier: :samus2::diddy::falcon::toonlink::rob::yoshi2::marth:
Upper mid tier::mario2::zerosuitsamus::mewtwopm::gw::luigi2::warioc::ike::zelda::sonic::snake::peach:
Lower mid tier::dedede::charizard::ness2::lucas::kirby2::ivysaur::pit::ganondorf::metaknight:
Low tier::squirtle::jigglypuff::pikachu2::link2::bowser2::dk2:
Might as well still be in dev build: :olimar::popo:

Slightly updated list. Seems mostly good?

This is not in order btw, just categorized into groups.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Upper mid tier::mario2::zerosuitsamus::mewtwopm::gw::luigi2::warioc::ike::zelda::sonic::snake::peach:
Lower mid tier::dedede::charizard::ness2::lucas::kirby2::ivysaur::pit::ganondorf::metaknight:

Seems legit. Top Tier is obvious, and the rest is pretty much agreeable. But then again, I haven't really seen any good 3.5 footage.
Has there been any majors or some random good videos around yet?

D

Deleted member

There have been no major PM tournaments yet. Apex would've been the first, but we're still waiting.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I feel bad that no one in the community is even trying to organize a really big pm tournament or anything, I would think a community this big would have the means to do so.

Last edited:

Starbuck

Smash Rookie

People may have already talked about it and I missed it but I was under the impression that Falco was suffering a bit as of the last patch? At least in comparison to the other spacies, most lists I've seen have him around medium-high.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I feel bad that no one in the community is even trying to organize a really big pm tournament or anything, I would think a community this big would have the means to do so.
Unless it's online, things tend to be a lot more complicated. A lot of people here live far away from each other.

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
Unless it's online, things tend to be a lot more complicated. A lot of people here live far away from each other.
I know that there is a grassroots PM side tourney at Apex. I'm not sure of all the details but, depending on how popular it ends up being, it could be used as a proxy major for results.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
That's why you have an already established region host it, the problem would be getting notable players to attend. you would need a lot of money for prize pools and a big venue. But melee did it, so why cant we? I'm sure there are enough people willing to donate or hold fundraisers.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I know that there is a grassroots PM side tourney at Apex. I'm not sure of all the details but, depending on how popular it ends up being, it could be used as a proxy major for results.
Figured something like that would happen. I think people will wind up doing a pseudo-major after the tournament.
People can't just give us the short end of the stick, we're making our own big major with salt and hype.

That's why you have an already established region host it, the problem would be getting notable players to attend. you would need a lot of money for prize pools and a big venue. But melee did it, so why cant we? I'm sure there are enough people willing to donate or hold fundraisers.
Yeah, getting the big names to attend is the catch. That's why I think something will come up at Apex. Many players will be there, so someone will wind up getting a set-up.

D

Deleted member

People may have already talked about it and I missed it but I was under the impression that Falco was suffering a bit as of the last patch? At least in comparison to the other spacies, most lists I've seen have him around medium-high.
lmao falco is still good.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
A lot of Melee tournaments did it by building upon foundations that the TO's laid with previous installments of a given tournament. Like, Big House 4 was huge, but would have been nothing without such a successful Big House 3, which built upon BH2, and so on. It goes without saying that it's much easier said than done to hold a national, especially when a lot of big tournaments start off as regionals that go well enough to attract more players next time.
PM was very fortunate to be able to ride the success of Smash in general to get the point where it's at, but on the outside looking in the PM scene is still in its infancy.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
What makes toon link so good?
He looks like Link, he plays like Link, but he's not quite the OoT based Link we've seen since 64. So he instantly gets something better than Link and winds up in a higher tier than Link. It's been like this since Melee.

In PM T-Link's case, he's got speed and a good weight to not get rekt by most combos like "Classic" Link. Which is something preferred in more matchups.

Basically, he hits almost as hard as Link (and he hits fairly hard) and has the mobility to actually land hits. (Unlike Bowser)

Narpas_sword

not sure if its 'the reasons' toon link is good, but the reasons i play him are:

Good projectile coverage, can camp and assault as needed.
Very mobile, so can harass with projectiles while running circles around the opponent.
Can turn those projectiles into good strings of swordplay with a bomb / rang hit confirm.
Has possibly the coolest spike for style points.
Has a brutal meteor for salt points.

Is good at juggling and converting.

only major weakness i find is a rather gimpable recovery.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Someone tried to tell me that Ganon had an even matchup with Marth today
I'm surprised Ganon doesn't stomp the crap out of Marth. I mean seriously, his blade lacks the luster and sheen of the one blade to vanquish evil, he better start praying Ganondorf doesn't curb stomp his petty life force

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised Ganon doesn't stomp the crap out of Marth. I mean seriously, his blade lacks the luster and sheen of the one blade to vanquish evil, he better start praying Ganondorf doesn't curb stomp his petty life force
It's like watching Roy trying to F-Tilt Ganon. The dude already got stabbed like that, it just doesn't work man.

On a more serious note, Ganon got some legit buffs, especially to his tilts, but he ain't doin' nothing against Marth spacing. Not that even, but nothing like... I dunno, can't think of a really bad matchup aside from Olimar vs. everything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Roys F tilt is actually a projectile

don't let the sword fool you

Last edited by a moderator:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Roys F tilt is actually a projectile

don't let the sword fool you
...I don't even...

Anyway, back on topic. **** it, how is that tilt a effing projectile? Seriously, can I reflect that with Dead Man's Volley?

(For real though, how's the Ganon vs. Marth / Roy Matchup?)

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
...I don't even...

Anyway, back on topic. **** it, how is that tilt a effing projectile? Seriously, can I reflect that with Dead Man's Volley?

(For real though, how's the Ganon vs. Marth / Roy Matchup?)
I'm not the expert on Marth but when I used to play him a bit it felt really in Marth's favor. It may have just been my personal experience with the MU but I always felt that it's really easy to both win in the neutral and edge guard Ganon. His punishes might be pretty robust but if you keep good spacing in the neutral then you can get around a lot of it.

Sethlon with those secret Roy buffs :troll:
Sethlon is too meta.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Marth was Ganon's best MU among the top tiers in Melee, and Ganon is much, muuuuuuuuuuch better in basically every way now. Notable changes:

- Foxtier spotdodge to dodge grabs/fsmashes
- Roy range dtilt to pop Marth up from milez away
- Command grab to punish whiffs from the air, and tech chase on platforms
- shff ac nair. wtf
- Aerials seem to kill earlier? Would need confirmation
- Better recovery
- Easier to come down from above marth, due to better aerials (see the huge AC windows), the hover (which is actually huge in this MU holy crap), and the command grab
- Uh, does the utilt hit Marth's recovery if his sweetspotting is slightly off?

Tbh, I'd be surprised if Ganon didn't win the matchup. It might be my chronic bowser salt talking, though. I may have to win some tournaments with my unpracticed Ganon just to make a point >_>

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

how would you say you feel about squirtle relative to the rest of the cast? if you don't mind my asking
squirtle is pretty degenerate when played correctly. like my current strategy vs sonic/squirtle is to hope they suck, because the best way to interact with them is to throw out moves and hope they run into them, but in the back of your mind you know it sucks, you just dont have anything better? idk i dont like either of them.

Frost | Odds

OH

Also, Ganon benefits *WAY* more than most characters from RAR due to the Reverse Tipman.

Seriously, folks - you're sleeping on this character.

squirtle is pretty degenerate when played correctly. like my current strategy vs sonic/squirtle is to hope they suck, because the best way to interact with them is to throw out moves and hope they run into them, but in the back of your mind you know it sucks, you just dont have anything better? idk i dont like either of them.
So, like Fox but without lasers or shine, and with much smaller hitboxes and much worse/more difficult kill setups?

I don't care enough to reread the thread to find whoever posted that Sheik's leg is 2.5 squirtles long, but it's not much of an exaggeration. It's also at least several hundred Sonics long. And you have needles. Play for position, charge needles, Sheik should absolutely crush both those characters.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Marth was Ganon's best MU among the top tiers in Melee, and Ganon is much, muuuuuuuuuuch better in basically every way now. Notable changes:

- Foxtier spotdodge to dodge grabs/fsmashes
- Roy range dtilt to pop Marth up from milez away
- Command grab to punish whiffs from the air, and tech chase on platforms
- shff ac nair. wtf
- Aerials seem to kill earlier? Would need confirmation
- Better recovery
- Easier to come down from above marth, due to better aerials (see the huge AC windows), the hover (which is actually huge in this MU holy crap), and the command grab
- Uh, does the utilt hit Marth's recovery if his sweetspotting is slightly off?

Tbh, I'd be surprised if Ganon didn't win the matchup. It might be my chronic bowser salt talking, though. I may have to win some tournaments with my unpracticed Ganon just to make a point >_>
Marth just sucks and ganon is still bad

Edit: ganon does have a lot of tools now and is underrated. Rar tipman is huge, landing detection making ledge stuff easier is huge, ac windows are huge. Still don't think he is good though, because he shouldn't be touching you that much to begin with

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, like Fox but without lasers or shine, and with much smaller hitboxes and much worse/more difficult kill setups?

I don't care enough to reread the thread to find whoever posted that Sheik's leg is 2.5 squirtles long, but it's not much of an exaggeration. It's also at least several hundred Sonics long. And you have needles. Play for position, charge needles, Sheik should absolutely crush both those characters.
i dont disagree with any of that, i just dont like them anyway

we all know fox is god btw no spoilers needed

Frost | Odds

Fair enough.

Uh, I'm not at home for a few days so I can't test this, but how good is Falcon's tipman in PM?

I maaaaaaaaaaay have just realized something.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
it was the opposite for me, for around 3 straight patches a lot of people put dk in top tier exclusively because of my tournament results. then i stopped using the character and he dropped multiple tiers on everyone's lists.

LOL

btw Lunchables' tier list is the closest tier list I've ever seen to my own opinion.
Come on Strong Bad don't kid yourself. We all know that Eli dropping DK is what caused him to drop on the tier list and you coincidentally dropped him as well.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
his only real issues are range and killpower
Squirtle doesn't have bad kill power.

Where did this misconception about Squirt and "lacking" kill power ever come from anyway?

I was there when you were told that. And I hafta agree with Chris that at the very least it is even. Though I can easily see Ganon beating Marth. Just your Ganon is bad (but at least it isn't as bad as mine).

The_NZA

Smash Lord

I'd Move Roy where Diddy is, Diddy where Snake is, and Snake where Roy is. Snake is top tier.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Squirtle doesn't have bad kill power.

Where did this misconception about Squirt and "lacking" kill power ever come from anyway?

I was there when you were told that. And I hafta agree with Chris that at the very least it is even. Though I can easily see Ganon beating Marth. Just your Ganon is bad (but at least it isn't as bad as mine).
Ganon goes even with ****ty marths maybe, but as it's been said, Ganon is only good when he can touch a Marth which is what they shouldnt be doing in the first place

Also Squirtle has way bad kill options, what are you saying

Top Bottom