• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Warhawk

Smash Lord
For characters who are weak to projectiles, it's not getting hit by Falco laser that's an issue, it's what comes immediately after. Falco can't follow up on a long-range laser; Fox only got a range nerf to weaken his free damage. Falco, on the other hand, can use his laser to stall certain slow-startup upBs (e.g. Fox or Ness) while he positions himself to better edgeguard the opponent.
The laser is an issue though because it forces a response from the opponent, even from across large stages. It restricts their movement, approach, and defensive options and doesn't just allow Falco to more easily get in on them, it can also force/encourage his opponent to take an option he wants and can reverse on the opponent. And if Falco's not comfortable with that he can even choose to do neither and just put himself outside of any response and observe how they react to store for later. And he can do this from anywhere on stage and in many cases allows him to take stage relatively easily even if he can't follow the laser up. Now they can be turned on him or countered with some work, but Falco still controls when and how the lasers are shot and still has some control over the counterplay methods. On many stages for some characters the laser forces you to challenge it or concede stage which then can put in you in a situation where Falco can get a reversal situation which he's very good at with his tools (utilt, shine, bair, even laser).

By shortening the stun range of the laser there is now a range outside of the stun range where Falco's opponent can threaten him or take some stage without being locked down or forced to act to avoid being locked down. If he wants to use the stun affects of the laser he has to be closer, where he is also more at risk of being in the range where the opponent can reverse or counter the laser option. The way I envision it, the shorter stun range makes it more difficult for Falco to take control of the stage and forces him to be smarter with his lasers. It also allows characters with projectiles to actually be able to get some mileage from them without being completely harassed from Falco's often very superior projectile, while still giving Falco some ability to force approaches in the same manner Fox can.

To your last point, when I thought of the idea, my biggest initial gripe was that some edgeguarding situations with the laser would immediately go away, but I think there's still enough mileage from intermediate lasers to force certain trajectories that it really wouldn't be to big of a deal. It's also nice that Ike wouldn't just auto die in as many offstage scenarios.

If anything, given that long-distance lasers are easier to powershield, the proposed change could be construed as a buff to Falco in neutral, since the punishment for throwing out a laser that's easily powershielded becomes reduced.
Ehh, I don't really know how much you gain with most characters by powershielding a long-distance laser unless its FD, although admittedly the thought of powershielding what would be a laser with stun and having it hit Falco with no stun sounds very unsavory and wasn't something I thought about. Anyways, maybe I'm wrong with the other things and the way I envision it isn't how it'd actually play out but I think its an interesting change to discuss as it poses some interesting adjustments for Falco without changing his overall gameplan I think even if he doesn't necessarily need it yet.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
InfinityCollision InfinityCollision

You caught my interest with the Lucario remarks. Would you mind elaborating on that more? I'm really interested to hear your thoughts about his combo game and consistency with his punish game.
Lucario's movement and moveset properties don't easily lend themselves to extending combos without the use of his OHC and aura charge mechanics. This is very much by design; if he could abuse his magic series and then consistently link it into yet another series he'd be more Marvel than SF. All his hits launch in a generally up and away manner; he can't juggle for extended periods of time and his techchasing is unexceptional. If he wants to extend his advantage out of a combo, he has to win the following stagger situation. I think he often gets a little extra mileage right now out of matchup inexperience (as is true for most matchups), so good DI/SDI may dial back his punishes a bit as well over time.

That said, he can easily convert most stray hits into consistent damage. Three clean hits and there goes your stock, maybe less if he gets an edgeguard. That's a noteworthy strength for his punish game, but also his neutral. The threat of his conversions is as strong a tool in neutral as anything else he's got, because it changes the way the opponent reacts to his options.

Something along those lines, yeah. Just renaming the thread to better describe what it's already about.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
The threat of his conversions is as strong a tool in neutral as anything else he's got, because it changes the way the opponent reacts to his options.
A tl;dr of the last 10 of my posts and last 3 discussions I've had in this thread. Though yours is very clean, where nobody seemed to understand that this is a thing in Smash when I was actually discussing it quite thoroughly.

I'd hire you as my transcriber fer shizzle

Kirby is really fun to play against good Foxes. It's such a SF type of match-up from Kirby's end. Slow footsies and feeling it up. Kirby is a kinky little pinky.
Hard to hit. Scary to approach. Scary to camp when he's creeping in to 'play' with feet.
Cool character.

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
So what is the community's opinion of Kirby then? He seems to do at least decently against some of the best characters in the game, which is where the important matchups are. If I'm not mistaken, he manages against the spacies, Falcon, Samus, Meta Knight, Luigi and Mario. Thanksgiving dinner now, g2g. I'll check facts later. Let's just talk about it or something.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
His unique mix of attributes gives him a few unexpected positive MUs, however he's still plagued by lots of negative MUs and mobility issues. He is on the part of the design/viability spectrum that needs a moderate amount of love and QOL buffs. He isn't as severely questionable as say DK or Bowser, but he isn't good enough to be considered ideal either. Tier list-wise, this lands him slightly above the border between Mid and Low.

Last edited:

Mage.

Smash Cadet
PM Tier list 10.10.2015.png

Updated my tier list a bit. Seems the tier list app is a little broken though. Tiers are ranked in order. N/A tier is based on the fact that I don't know the placement of the characters because I haven't played against, watched, or played enough as those characters to effectively rate them. The bottom 6 of A- tier are subject to change for better or worse.

Also since the topic is currently on kirby...I honestly think he's a decent character but he could use a few buffs and QOL changes like yoshi and ganon. Otherwise I'd say he isn't terrible but definitely not amazing.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
View attachment 77473

Updated my tier list a bit. Seems the tier list app is a little broken though. Tiers are ranked in order. N/A tier is based on the fact that I don't know the placement of the characters because I haven't played against, watched, or played enough as those characters to effectively rate them. The bottom 6 of A- tier are subject to change for better or worse.

Also since the topic is currently on kirby...I honestly think he's a decent character but he could use a few buffs and QOL changes like yoshi and ganon. Otherwise I'd say he isn't terrible but definitely not amazing.
Care to explain that ZSS placement? :O

Mage.

Smash Cadet
i really dont think ZSS is at that level.. can you expand on why you put her there?
Also i think you underrate MK and Diddy.
From the ZSS i've played with for a bit now and from discussion and watching others she's damn strong IMO. Her combo and punish game is crazy insane with her blaster and the extensions of her whip. Strong kill moves as well. From playing against really good ZSS' I still haven't figured out how to get out of one of the many combo chains. It might be my character specifically, in which case i'm biased towards that but it seems that if I get caught by the whip there goes 60% easy. The only thing I think she really lacks in is recovery but even then it isn't bad where it has significant weaknesses. She's really technical but hurts sooo much and has a lot of combo flow. Maybe I just suck lol (I do) but I consistently see the ZSS at my local just body everyone like its nothing.

Also, it's not that I underestimate MK/Diddy but I feel they are slightly weaker than those above them. The whole A tier means "Really good characters who can take top 8". A+, A-, and A doesn't really make a difference but I chose to include them because A tier would be a giant block if I didn't. That and some characters have more or less a slight disadvantage or something they were lacking in slightly from what I felt. It's not enough to make them struggle up hill but it is something I considered.

That said, MK and Diddy are solid. Overall strong characters but I feel they are somewhat lackluster in comparison to those above them. MK in the fact that he can't seem to finish off well (from experience/watching) or lead into long strings that really hurt. I've honestly been bopped pretty hard by Diddy's lmao but I still don't consider him...very powerful? Not sure how to word it honestly.

My whole tier list is based on the idea that everyone is viable, so being in the middle of the list doesn't make the character underrated or weak. If i could give numerical values pretty much everyone in A tier would be off +/- 3 from the very lowest to the highest. Meaning between adjacent characters the difference in numbers are somewhere between .05 to .15

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Since when does ZSS have good kill moves? She has spaced bair in neutral and deep fairs. Oh and pretty much anything off a dsmash read. I wouldn't call those good kill moves.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
She's pretty good at setting up kill moves (another example of a character who has high reward on stray hits), but I'd agree that they're not exceptionally powerful. Her vertical kill power in particular is hilariously poor, but fair/bair/fsmash/divekick aren't that strong either.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
i think the best part about zss is that she has followups off of almost anything regardless of di. i agree with jfalls that she has potential to be top 15 honestly

shes a character based off of the concept that if you win neutral enough times you dont have to have strong kill power because you will eventually end the stock no matter what

for example a character truly held back by their awful kill power is young link in melee because he has very bad kill conversions. his kill moves are all slow and dont convert off of his neutral tools unless you get a random ass bomb to dair. with zss its different because of how low her kbg is on her combo moves, giving her really good setups. shes so fast and has so much range to the point that her bad kill power isnt a huge problem.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
What really, really, really, really holds her back is her horrible match-ups against Fox and friends. Their fast-falling coupled with good shield pressure and easy conversions leads to her being unable to combo them at low percents and having difficulty winning neutral against them in the first place. It's a sad story, since ZSS is one of the most creative, well-designed, technical, and fun characters in the game, but she is held back by three very relevant characters. If I recall correctly, she goes -3 against them (whatever percentage value represents to you, it means it's one of the rare garbage match-ups in the game, akin to Peach vs. Ice Climbers in Melee or something).

nimigoha

Smash Ace
What matchups does Marth face that make people not put him in top 5? I feel like his sick spacing can make getting in on him frustrating, he's able to deal with projectiles, he can space safe hits on shield... His kill power off stray hits is definitely lacking at "Marth percents" and I see that as a problem when you let your opponent get to high percents, but not in a way that it messes up a matchup.

What really, really, really, really holds her back is her horrible match-ups against Fox and friends. Their fast-falling coupled with good shield pressure and easy conversions leads to her being unable to combo them at low percents and having difficulty winning neutral against them in the first place. It's a sad story, since ZSS is one of the most creative, well-designed, technical, and fun characters in the game, but she is held back by three very relevant characters. If I recall correctly, she goes -3 against them (whatever percentage value represents to you, it means it's one of the rare garbage match-ups in the game, akin to Peach vs. Ice Climbers in Melee or something).
Lack of consistent vertical launcher that works at low percents is the killer in this matchup. After like 35% you can just combo them to death but getting there is a straight chore.

Last edited:

Doctor Aids

Smash Cadet
I'm not really sure that I agree with this. I've always thought that a lot of people really exaggerate how bad these MU's really are. The neutral game is difficult for sure, but it's not too unwinnable. By using her excellent mobility and disjoint effectively it is very possible to win the neutral game and outplay the opponent. As far as the punish game goes, it isn't that bad. ZSS chaingrabs the spacies to around 90-100 percent, and then she can finish the chaingrab with a guaranteed downb, where the spacie should be sent far enough offstage that they won't recover or it's an easy edgeguard. The chaingrab starts at around the mid 20% i believe, so if you get a grab before then, then you just have to tech chase until around 20. For ZSS, tech chasing the spacies is perfectly reasonable as she has enough time to react to any of the tech options. As far as a vertical launcher goes utilt is pretty good, but hard to hit with. I'm not saying that this MU isn't unfavorable for ZSS, but saying that it is as bad as IC vs. Peach imo is sorta ridiculous. In the times that I've played this MU as ZSS it has never felt that hopeless.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
The difficulty of the ZSS-spacies matchups, particularly at early percent, is greatly overstated. She has several ways to initiate a techchase at zero, and various other options open and close at later percents. Not all of them work as consistently as they ought, but that's something that future patches will hopefully address.

Uthrow is really dumb right now.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Heavy characters are frustrating. His throws are all weight dependant. Kill problems are exacerbated. That's what I assume is holding Marth back. Maybe something to do with easier edge guards in Melee and not having to deal with as many heavies.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I gotta ask, what do you guys think of Toon Link? His roll is really bad, he's easily combo'd and his recovery is awful, but I can't think of too many other glaring weaknesses. I haven't managed to bomb jump with him really either, though I remember reading on it helping his recovery (whether that's up-to-date at this point I'm not sure).

What I'm also finding, is that he's very fast and has a ton of options for most given situations. Bomb drops, boomerang shenanigans, a ranged grab, arrows (the persisting hitbox on the fire arrows is kind of nice on the arrows for a little extra % damage, and you can have two of those lingering on the stage at a time). His arrows are really nice because of how well they can be arced from different jump heights and charge lengths; I find I can fairly easily peg somebody pretty squarely with one from most positions on most stages. I love his nair (it's kind of my bread and butter as far as his aerials), his situational/predictable but rewarding dair and up air, but I'm not sure I like his fair or bair yet.

I feel like he'd place really high if for nothing but his speed and sheer versatility. He's like a swiss army knife in this game and I am loving it. What do you guys think?

_Chrome

Smash Ace
I apologize if I spread misinformation: I haven't played the match-up since 3.5 and the general consensus back then was that the MU was garbage. I would assume its kinda similar to how Sheik has to grind out the early game and use tech chases/chain throws. Not having a solid vertical launcher does hurt the MU, but otherwise she's a very strong character. She's one of the characters I have and had some good knowledge about, yet I'm by no means a professional. Thanks for letting me know the MU has improved; that's great to hear. The improved uthrow and dthrow would certainly help with that, as well as the improved nair and the fair and usmash buffed from 3.0 to 3.5.

Yes, uthrow is kinda dumb right now, but it's not a totally unfair throw for her to have. Falcon has his uthrow for example, which leads into air wobble into rest.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
I gotta ask, what do you guys think of Toon Link? His roll is really bad, he's easily combo'd and his recovery is awful, but I can't think of too many other glaring weaknesses. I haven't managed to bomb jump with him really either, though I remember reading on it helping his recovery (whether that's up-to-date at this point I'm not sure).

What I'm also finding, is that he's very fast and has a ton of options for most given situations. Bomb drops, boomerang shenanigans, a ranged grab, arrows (the persisting hitbox on the fire arrows is kind of nice on the arrows for a little extra % damage, and you can have two of those lingering on the stage at a time). His arrows are really nice because of how well they can be arced from different jump heights and charge lengths; I find I can fairly easily peg somebody pretty squarely with one from most positions on most stages. I love his nair (it's kind of my bread and butter as far as his aerials), his situational/predictable but rewarding dair and up air, but I'm not sure I like his fair or bair yet.

I feel like he'd place really high if for nothing but his speed and sheer versatility. He's like a swiss army knife in this game and I am loving it. What do you guys think?
Toon Link can use something called an aerial glide toss (AGT) to extend his recovery and grant him extra distance when recovering. He is kind of like a Swiss Army knife in this game: he's quick and nimble with solid projectiles and has good combos and kill setups on the vast majority of the cast. iirc, he struggles a little against Fox and Falco in the neutral game (since he is similar to Young Link from Melee), but otherwise he is solid. With the AGT, his recovery becomes much better btw.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Jamble Jamble I think Toon Link is great: not only does he have completely polarizing matchups against some characters (i.e. Peach) but he is also a good character to fall back on if you need to change pace in the middle of a set or feel out what your opponent is doing since he can drag games out for so long. Not that you can't feel out what your opponent is doing with a different character, but sometimes it's good to be able to analyze what they're trying to do and force options out of them. That being said, he also has some really bad matchups that hold him back (i.e. Falcon, Spacies, MK is bad although I think it's a little exaggerated how badly Toon Link loses).

nimigoha nimigoha I can't really think of Marth being below top 5 either personally. I can see someone making a case for it, but I think he has the tools (movement, grabs, disjoint, edgeguards) to win most matchups. Kills can be hard, but they're not that hard to find.

And why isn't Falco top 5? No one's ever answered this and I don't care if I get torn apart for saying this right now but his neutral + punish is just sublime. I mean, his combos work in basically every matchup and lasers are still amazing for spacing, zoning, forcing opponents to approach, and getting hit confirms. Yeah, they can be power shielded, but even with this counterplay to lasers is tough. He has some close to even matchups like Samus, Marth, and Kirby (with many more) but I don't see him losing any.

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I started PM as a Link guy, but I experimented with TL once on a whim (mostly because I like his art better) and I just couldn't go back. Link kills a lot faster and has better recovery, but TL has fewer issues with other speedsters thanks to his own speed. Quite frankly his projectiles also feel a lot better.

I might really have to look into the AGT in particular, because recovery is a real bear with him, and I struggle a lot with it. I wasn't able to do it but that's something you can still do in 3.6? Part of what got me playing TL more was that he was at least able to deal with speedsters and whatnot better than Link, at least for me. That and his playstyle is easy for me to pick up and learn the game with as somebody who never played seriously during melee, and I'm still learning techniques like Wavedashing and Wavelanding. It's nice to know that he can be a contender (he certainly seems really good), though a bad Fox/Falco/Wolf matchup might end up being kind of a bummer in the future.

In the meantime, I'm definitely sticking with him. I'm also finding it easier to practice wavedashing with him than other characters I've tried it with.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I apologize if I spread misinformation: I haven't played the match-up since 3.5 and the general consensus back then was that the MU was garbage. I would assume its kinda similar to how Sheik has to grind out the early game and use tech chases/chain throws. Not having a solid vertical launcher does hurt the MU, but otherwise she's a very strong character. She's one of the characters I have and had some good knowledge about, yet I'm by no means a professional. Thanks for letting me know the MU has improved; that's great to hear. The improved uthrow and dthrow would certainly help with that, as well as the improved nair and the fair and usmash buffed from 3.0 to 3.5.
I actually don't think the matchup has shifted that much from 3.5. It's a little better to be sure, but for the most part I think it's just a matter of ZSS players generally failing to understand and execute her optimal punishes.

The Sheik comparison is completely on point. ZSS has some of the best techchasing capabilities in the game, yet there's not been a lot of effort towards developing her ability to create and capitalize on techchases. Once that ball gets rolling in mainstream play, the fastfaller matchups will be much more manageable.

Usmash changes haven't really changed anything. The changes to the final hitboxes' size/placement were a step in the right direction, but the repeating hits need a slightly lower SDI modifier (0.75x would do) and the final hit needs a slightly better angle (80 degrees) if it's to have any meaningful role in her kit. It's too risky for too little reward right now.

Yes, uthrow is kinda dumb right now, but it's not a totally unfair throw for her to have. Falcon has his uthrow for example, which leads into air wobble into rest.
Like many elements in her kit, it's not as well tuned as I'd like. I'm not a fan of Falcon's uthrow either and have no desire for her throws to follow such a poor example. The reduced endlag was a good idea, but the angle should have been left alone or even reduced to 80 degrees. Followups are still possible on 80 degrees with good timing at certain percents, but chaingrab potential is reduced (eliminated? idr) and kill confirms out of uthrow no longer exist. It doesn't need to be any better than that. Dthrow may need a small tweak as well... You can confirm fair/bair out of dthrow on light floaties (Jiggs, Kirby, maybe others) at kill percents. I need to test this, but I suspect reverting it to weight-independent status and adjusting endlag from there would suffice to eliminate that issue without otherwise compromising its utility.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
One of our local Melee threats who has been making a good break into PM playing Zero Suit told me similar things a couple hours ago about the space animal matchups being made out to be much worse than they are.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't think the matchup has shifted that much from 3.5. It's a little better to be sure, but for the most part I think it's just a matter of ZSS players generally failing to understand and execute her optimal punishes.

The Sheik comparison is completely on point. ZSS has some of the best techchasing capabilities in the game, yet there's not been a lot of effort towards developing her ability to create and capitalize on techchases. Once that ball gets rolling in mainstream play, the fastfaller matchups will be much more manageable.

Usmash changes haven't really changed anything. The changes to the final hitboxes' size/placement were a step in the right direction, but the repeating hits need a slightly lower SDI modifier (0.75x would do) and the final hit needs a slightly better angle (80 degrees) if it's to have any meaningful role in her kit. It's too risky for too little reward right now.

Like many elements in her kit, it's not as well tuned as I'd like. I'm not a fan of Falcon's uthrow either and have no desire for her throws to follow such a poor example. The reduced endlag was a good idea, but the angle should have been left alone or even reduced to 80 degrees. Followups are still possible on 80 degrees with good timing at certain percents, but chaingrab potential is reduced (eliminated? idr) and kill confirms out of uthrow no longer exist. It doesn't need to be any better than that. Dthrow may need a small tweak as well... You can confirm fair/bair out of dthrow on light floaties (Jiggs, Kirby, maybe others) at kill percents. I need to test this, but I suspect reverting it to weight-independent status and adjusting endlag from there would suffice to eliminate that issue without otherwise compromising its utility.
I watched some play from Vixen recently on Youtube and I saw some steps in the right direction (yeah, it was friendlies, BUT she looked hella nice). I find a lot of matchups are like Sheik at low percents (okay, maybe for me... lol I do play as ZSS, Sonic and Sheik xD). Tech chasing on reaction's state in general is just something that's really disappointing to me... really underdeveloped and I even see top Melee Falcons/Sheiks going for 50/50 coverage rather than y'know, guaranteeing success by reacting and THEN covering. So glad I was taught early on how to do that. Now I rack up 50-70% easy against characters with poor tech rolls (and/or players w/ poor tech scenario mindgames), and get Ws on players I have no business beating lol. It's just so... unoptimized and doesn't belong in the game anymore when we're using stuff like shield drops and perfect pivots.

Usmash, yup, still bad although a lot of ZSSs still use it (I just see it around a lot...). I agree, it needs to be changed.

Overall, I feel ZSS vs Spacies is one of those matchups that's super hard to get a hang of, (kind of like how hard ZSS is in general) but gets better with more experience (like Marth or Falcon vs Sheik in Melee). Still crap though because Fox gets a ~30-40% head start on each stock.

D

Deleted member

Jamble Jamble I think Toon Link is great: not only does he have completely polarizing matchups against some characters (i.e. Peach) but he is also a good character to fall back on if you need to change pace in the middle of a set or feel out what your opponent is doing since he can drag games out for so long. Not that you can't feel out what your opponent is doing with a different character, but sometimes it's good to be able to analyze what they're trying to do and force options out of them. That being said, he also has some really bad matchups that hold him back (i.e. Falcon, Spacies, MK is bad although I think it's a little exaggerated how badly Toon Link loses).

nimigoha nimigoha I can't really think of Marth being below top 5 either personally. I can see someone making a case for it, but I think he has the tools (movement, grabs, disjoint, edgeguards) to win most matchups. Kills can be hard, but they're not that hard to find.

And why isn't Falco top 5? No one's ever answered this and I don't care if I get torn apart for saying this right now but his neutral + punish is just sublime. I mean, his combos work in basically every matchup and lasers are still amazing for spacing, zoning, forcing opponents to approach, and getting hit confirms. Yeah, they can be power shielded, but even with this counterplay to lasers is tough. He has some close to even matchups like Samus, Marth, and Kirby (with many more) but I don't see him losing any.
marth and falco have somewhat the same issues but are slightly different in execution, but its basically that they both lose the long game in the face of good counterplay. for a good example, i had a long talk with @Dakpo on thursday at the dfw weekly about how yeah falco is really good but to realize that you have to be flawless to a point that i consider ridiculous- if you make absolutely any mistakes with falco, youre basically going to lose in a way that is almost always more flexible for the opponent. and he was telling me how he does well with GAW, but that character illustrates the opposite, which is having a character that is way more forgiving of misplays, and takes good advantage of the opponents misplays in a way that doesnt require perfection. in theory, falco is way better than GAW, but we know that it doesnt play out like that in tournament. even our very best players make dozens of mistakes every match, and it only goes up from there. in a tournament format where your goal is to go X-1 or X-0, the best approach is to accept that both players will always make some number of mistakes and to account for them appropriately. therefore, in a real tournament setting, you could make a reasonable argument that GAW does better than falco from the margin falco loses from misplays over a tournament day. you'll suicide here or randomly slightly misplace a dair or something and get obliterated for it. and that my friends is exactly what an over-rated character looks like.

as a marth and sheik player, i get this all the time. @Lunchables will occasionally make fun of me saying i suck because "think of a character skype group where the players dont think marth/sheik beats their character", and he knows exactly why- everyone thinks they lose to my two characters because its all mid-level players doing free play. sure, marth are sheik are hilariously soul-crushing at mediocre levels of non-tournament gameplay to the point where i make it a point to tell other dev team members not to mimic sheiks ground game properties on other characters. but at top level they both have very real setbacks. lets stick to marth since you asked about it- marth's range is very good, but other characters can now match it unlike melee. his low growth moves mean he can combo well but has a hard time killing. better recoveries mean opponents live longer but marth retains his mediocre recovery and combo weight from melee. he doesnt really have any outs to the better projectiles introduced by the brawl characters like bananas or grenades. he cant really finish stocks on heavy characters like ddd or dk or yoshi or rob. an experienced opponent that understands marth can force him to fish for tip fair conversions which is just really bad in most cases. more variable combo weights make throw combos less reliable across the cast. relatively faster characters across the cast make it much harder to dashdance the opponent out of the game. marth is way more understood to play against than say ness or charizard. relatively larger stages in PM means he cant close out kills well. marth can hit the opponent and still get punished for not hitting the correct part of the move. now on one hand, thats just a list of stuff that marth has issues with but he can still compete (except vs ddd/dreamland, seriously **** playing those). but thats not the point, the point is that over a tournament day, you WILL lose margin on those things, and they will cost you wins, and you wont be able to go X-1 or X-0 forfeiting margin like that. its much better over a long tournament day to play a character like say diddy where you have multiple dynamic ways to solve your problems and can get more on free margin than by losing it. marths primary way of winning in PM is hoping he gets a lucky bracket against jank like luigi players and bad CPs than it is because hes a good character with no issues. in melee where the stages are small and he has double everyone elses range and upthrow is a OHKO against half of the relevant tournament sets, marth is absolutely hard top tier. in PM, hes merely pretty good, at best in the 11-15 range out of 41. i personally wouldnt recommend anyone learning the game to play either of these characters even though theres nothing really wrong with them. i encourage people to play characters like diddy or MK or ZSS where you're not necessarily out at the character select screen or from a handful of common mistakes over a full tournament day.

edit- kirby vs a really good fox is only fun if youre the fox or you like losing a lot as kirby, that MU is ****ing awful

Last edited by a moderator:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
She's pretty good at setting up kill moves (another example of a character who has high reward on stray hits), but I'd agree that they're not exceptionally powerful. Her vertical kill power in particular is hilariously poor, but fair/bair/fsmash/divekick aren't that strong either.
Dive kick is stronger than diddy's fsmash.
Zss doesn't really struggle killing, if you drop a combo/kill confirm its just one pivot dsmash on a bad jump in and it's salvaged

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Didn't say she struggles to kill, I said her kill moves aren't exceptionally powerful. I don't think she has any issues securing kills, never has, definitely doesn't now when she can confirm out of throws on more than a few characters.

Divekick's sweetspot has higher BKB but deals less damage (13/50/100 to 14/40/100), and it's only active for the first five frames (sourspot is 10/35/90). Very similar total knockback, with divekick slightly stronger at low percents and fsmash pulling ahead slightly at higher percents. That's assuming you only hit with fsmash's second hit, no extra damage from the first hit. Divekick's biggest advantage here is that you can go deep with it.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
His roll is really bad
Ever since Rolls have been made to be mostly equal among the cast they went from being bad to decent.

his recovery is awful
With AGT, projectiles to cover him when recovering, and a Z-tether he has one of the better recoveries in the game. You just need to know his options and be able to mix-up what you do with your recovery to keep your opponent on their toes.

I haven't managed to bomb jump with him really either
Bomb jumping is easy. You don't even need AGT to do it. Just throw the bomb up (soft throw) and Up Special into it, hard requires a jump to Up Special into it I think. Of course once you get AGT down you won't need to worry about that as you can just AGT up and Up Special.

His arrows are really nice because of how well they can be arced from different jump heights and charge lengths
Arrows are kinda bad in the scheme of Toon Links kit as Bombs and Boomerang are just straight up in like all situations, basically, while also being more rewarding than Arrows. Charging them isn't really worth it unless you are going for a tech chase situation to cover all their options from a get-up or what have you but too far way to make effective use of anything else. Uncharged are slow and laggy and not very rewarding really. Boomerang and Bombs generally send at better angles as well.

TL is basically a much better Link.
Stahp saying this **** please. Do I need to go on a rant again as to why these comparison's are bad. x_x

he struggles a little against Fox and Falco in the neutral game
It's a good bit more then a little I'd say. But meh.

Link kills a lot faster
They kill at comparatively the same percents, actually.

Still different characters to one another and comparison's of them are still stupid. x_x

I might really have to look into the AGT in particular, because recovery is a real bear with him, and I struggle a lot with it. I wasn't able to do it but that's something you can still do in 3.6?
Yes it is something you can still do in 3.6.

You want to be in the air to do it, you then want to do the buttons for doing an air-dodge but want to including throw the bomb as well into the motion. So on default controls it would be a cause of press L/R button > input direction > press A or push C-stick in desired direction. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Part of what got me playing TL more was that he was at least able to deal with speedsters and whatnot better than Link
He does a little bit better then Link in this regard but he still has pretty bad MUs against certain speedsters.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
What I'm taking away from this thread: Don't listen to ZSS mains about their character, they apparently know nothing about their character and are super biased...

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Struggling against fastfallers until ~40-50% is a big problem for Kirby too. Do any other characters have this issue? O_o

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Struggling against fastfallers until ~40-50% is a big problem for Kirby too. Do any other characters have this issue? O_o
Most characters without a strong vertical launcher have to rely on techchases or the like to build early percent on fastfallers. Not that uncommon actually.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Yep. It makes it very difficult to figure things out because both sides claim to know more... Oh, and Squirtle needs low percent tech chases, add him to the list.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
How would nerfing the growth on Mewtwo's up-throw affect his MU spread? Any floaties he actually struggles against that he needs it for? I'm obviously a bit biased but it seems like an easy change that could de-skew a few matchups while not affecting many others substantially.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Nerfing uthrow wouldn't significantly alter his floaty matchups. It's the move you use when you've already ****ed up and let them live too long.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
To be able to juggle fastfallers at low percents, you need something with about 80 base knockback. Of course, having a launcher with 80 BKB, a favourable angle, and is easy to land in neutral is not something every character has access to.

Edit: Add Sonic to the list of characters who like tech chases at low percents. Side-b and down-b can be cc shined, aerials... fine if you can land them but putting yourself above spacies isn't good because they have strong anti-air. And the rest of his kit is kinda bad if they read or react to it quickly enough or is hard to land.

Last edited:
Top Bottom