• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Life

Smash Hero
The vulnerability comparison between Vanish and Aether doesn't really work that well. Vanish's vulnerability is right at the beginning of the move (so if you go out to hit Sheik and she waits and drops low you're probably screwed); with Aether you've got like a solid second or so before the window opens.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why not?

He is a defensively oriented character, so his defensive options should be good (tech roll, shield, rolls, spot dodges, cc, bait and punish).
."
You know who's also a defensive character? DDD. And he had the worst shield in the game and still a terrible spot dodge.

Idk if if actually call Luigi defensive though. It'd be like calling marth a defensive character because of DD

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind if Ike's aether/downward hitboxes came out a frame or 2 later in exchange for some ledge grab box so sweetspots vertically.

Ike's pretty much fine though besides maybe his throws.

I need to spend time in debug to look at Aether's hitboxes more lol

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Ike's pretty much fine though besides maybe his throws.
What's wrong with his throws? Besides having a spacie chaingrab that all the swordies seem to share, his dthrow is slow enough to be fairly reactable, and good DI makes it much tougher to follow up on (I believe); fthrow QD regrab isn't that bad because it takes lots of distance and you can DI it (dunno how much of the cast can/to what extent); and bthrow... I don't really know anything about bthrow actually. He has good throws, but I don't think he really has throws that are really overwhelming. Nothing like Melee Sheik dthrow, or even like Ganon/Mario dthrow.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Down and away on bthrow gets rid of most follow ups. if you do it by the ledge it sets up nicely for an edgeguard though

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
How to edge guard ike. Step 1. Take your diddy peanut gun and shoot him if he goes for side b. If it is a walled stage, and he side b going low, jump off stage and side b toward the ledge. If he goes low where aether is the only option, reverse pluck your banana that all characters have to knock him away from stage and secure the kill. Oh your not diddy, ddd, fox, falco, dk, bowser, ike, g&w, mario, lucas, and probably 10 other characters, guess it's time to get creative and find your own method of edgeguarding a fairly balanced character and save nerf cries for when it is actually a legit balance or design issue.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
You know who's also a defensive character? DDD. And he had the worst shield in the game and still a terrible spot dodge.

Idk if if actually call Luigi defensive though. It'd be like calling marth a defensive character because of DD
What would you call him then? A character that is very tough to tech chase because of his tech roll, the best ledge dash in the game to avoid pressure on ledge, one of the best out of shield options to avoid shield pressure situations, a good projectile that can be used to wall opponents a bit, a pretty good recovery, being a floaty with a frame 3 gtfo aerial to avoid combos.
I mean, I don't know; he seems like he has most things needed to be a defensive character. That's not to say he doesn't have some offense. He definitely does, but he's more of a bait and punish than a strict "I'm going to rush you down" type of character.

DDD might have a bad spot dodge but he also has many other defensive tools that work towards his favor (amazing survivablity because of how big he is and his recovery, for example).

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Luigi falls more into an offensive character route. His low traction allows him to be a threat from ridiculous range to induce his pressure. As for his defensive options, they are a double edge sword. Yes his nair is good, but is so easy to bait and can be exploited to continue your combo. His low traction gets him out of shield pressure, but makes him miss many opportunities other characters would have to shield grab.

His tech roll is surprisingly good, but his floatiness makes him a masochist screaming punish me whenever you send him airborne. In short I think Luigi's options feel a lot weaker when you have ranged disjoint, but his balance is close to where it needs to be for pm.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
His low traction gets him out of shield pressure, but makes him miss many opportunities other characters would have to shield grab.
While that's true, he doesn't need to shield grab. And he still can for certain moves or if he power shields, but usually the better options out of shield for him are up b (which is only possible within shield grab range but is the better choice I find at higher percents), nair (if pressured from above or very close to him)/fair/dair/upsmash, which reward much more and can be done even with push back due to low traction.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
F throw and back throw are di mixups, and while it's not as bad as sheiks in the level of stupidity, I think an extra frame or two on one of then would be justifiable from a design standpoint...

Then again, sheik whiners got their stupid mixup back, so I'm not sure how bad I should feel about one you can react to.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Just got finished playing PM all stars

I can't wrap my head around how dumb some of these characters are.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
So. Was training a good chunk of today for a local college tourney tomorrow, my first. Wish me luck you n00bs.

The Marth MU is as nightmarish as I think it is, but winnable. Ike has to really be in control of his movement, dance around Marth really well and take advantage of the slightest opening. Punish game on Marth is worse than his punish game on Ike, since he's got ez-pz edgeguards and juggles designed to force Ike offstage. Makes me a little sad. That sidesmash hurts so much.

Kirby is also just ... blech. Meta Knight was easier. Meta Knight. As in character that I am convinced is top 10. It is awful trying to get anything started on Kirby and he definitely combos and edgeguards Ike better than the reverse. Blech blech blech stupid crouch blech. I had some insight on fighting him one game where I was able to tack on 78% without taking a hit just by bobbing and weaving better than he did, but there's hardly any true strings and he can CC stuff for far longer than I expect him too. And also duck stuff. Blech.

Snake, though ... I'm not changing my opinion on Snake because I was fighting a very scrubby one. But I do understand why a Snake that doesn't play very well would think Ike is a bad MU for Snake rather than the reverse. Ike's punish game on Snake is downright terrifying, and this guy was not using grenades or mines well at all to mitigate that. [I think I got more kills off mines than he did LMFAO]

I'd have to say that Ike is deffers just outside of top 10.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
So. Was training a good chunk of today for a local college tourney tomorrow, my first. Wish me luck you n00bs.

The Marth MU is as nightmarish as I think it is, but winnable. Ike has to really be in control of his movement, dance around Marth really well and take advantage of the slightest opening. Punish game on Marth is worse than his punish game on Ike, since he's got ez-pz edgeguards and juggles designed to force Ike offstage. Makes me a little sad. That sidesmash hurts so much.

Kirby is also just ... blech. Meta Knight was easier. Meta Knight. As in character that I am convinced is top 10. It is awful trying to get anything started on Kirby and he definitely combos and edgeguards Ike better than the reverse. Blech blech blech stupid crouch blech. I had some insight on fighting him one game where I was able to tack on 78% without taking a hit just by bobbing and weaving better than he did, but there's hardly any true strings and he can CC stuff for far longer than I expect him too. And also duck stuff. Blech.

Snake, though ... I'm not changing my opinion on Snake because I was fighting a very scrubby one. But I do understand why a Snake that doesn't play very well would think Ike is a bad MU for Snake rather than the reverse. Ike's punish game on Snake is downright terrifying, and this guy was not using grenades or mines well at all to mitigate that. [I think I got more kills off mines than he did LMFAO]

I'd have to say that Ike is deffers just outside of top 10.
Kirby being good against Ike always makes me laugh. He's considered one of the weaker of the cast overall but he has the traits that really muck up Ike.

MK's easier to combo and edgeguard in this MU tbf so its not really a good comparison. Your upthrow has some pretty free followups on us as opposed to Kirby who is just too damn floaty.

Sure they're from the same game and have multijumps but they're pretty different characters with completely separate MU spreads.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I still argue the opposite. PM players are freeeeeeeeeee

When we start consistently seeing proper foundational play, full use of available options, genuine understanding of what the **** a character wants to do and how they do it, and counterplay that isn't half-baked at best, we can talk about results as a strong basis for tiers.

Last edited:

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman

When we start consistently seeing proper foundational play, full use of available options, genuine understanding of what the **** a character wants to do and how they do it, and counterplay that isn't half-baked at best, we can talk about results as a strong basis for tiers.
Using character stats to decide tiers doesn't work either. What you see on paper often doesn't apply in reality. So where do we go? How do we decide tiers? Answer: Experience. Use everything you know about the game, everything you heard from other people, everything you saw and experienced, including results. Then you can make your own conclusion. That may not be completely accurate either, but it's the best way. I don't think anyone has come close to making an accurate tier list yet, because there are so many factors that go into it and so many things we don't know, everyone is gonna see it differently.

Conclusion: results may not be reliable if you use only them, but they're still a very important factor in tier placings.

Life

Smash Hero
Does frame-data have any real influence on tier-placing?
Nobody's going to say "oh no GnW upB's hitbox got moved to frame 3 he's bad now" if that's what you're asking. However, a tier list is basically a ranking of which characters are most likely to win a tournament (that's how I see it anyway, there are a few different definitions people use), and having moves with good frame data is a positive quality that makes a character stronger, so...

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Nobody's going to say "oh no GnW However, a tier list is basically a ranking of which characters are most likely to win a tournament (that's how I see it anyway, there are a few different definitions people use)
I've always heard a tier list describes as a ranking by matchup spread, though I suppose these could go hand in hand :/

steelguttey

mei is bei
not necessarily, cus matchup spreads mean you get pulled down by having a low tier matchup, so if a high tier character has a good matchup with a top tier, they are more likely to win a tournament filled with said top tier, even if there is another high tier with a better matchup spread.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
What you see on paper often doesn't apply in reality.
Sure it does. If there's a discrepancy between theory and practice, it means that either your model or your test is flawed. Maybe both. The trick is identifying which it is and adjusting as necessary. That's where experience comes into play, so long as you're capable of analyzing it properly.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Nobody's going to say "oh no GnW upB's hitbox got moved to frame 3 he's bad now" if that's what you're asking. However, a tier list is basically a ranking of which characters are most likely to win a tournament (that's how I see it anyway, there are a few different definitions people use), and having moves with good frame data is a positive quality that makes a character stronger, so...
This is how I usually view tier lists. How hard do I have to work to be successful with x character. MU spreads do have some part in this too.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
Having a good MU spread against the top tiers is important but wouldn't have the same weight for viability as it would in Melee, where it's genuinely realistic for over two-thirds of your region to be Foxes, Falcos, and Sheiks. You don't see (and won't see for at least a very long time) anywhere near the same character monotony in PM.

The gap between the bottom and the top is much smaller in this game. The fact that most of the low tiers have good MUs at all means they'll be unironically seen and used in tourneys, compared to Melee low tiers like Pichu and Bowser who essentially have 100-0 MUs across the board against all relevant characters. MUs against PM low tiers have a non-negligible weight.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Sure it does. If there's a discrepancy between theory and practice, it means that either your model or your test is flawed. Maybe both. The trick is identifying which it is and adjusting as necessary. That's where experience comes into play, so long as you're capable of analyzing it properly.
You can't analyze a character's potential without seeing it's results... U can look at frame data and statistics all you want but that's not gonna dictate what happens in a match.

And for the most part, no one is capable of analyzing things "properly" in this game because there are many right ways of analyzing things. The problem is people who think that their way of analyzing things is the only way, and they push for unnecessary changes in the game because of it.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
And for the most part, no one is capable of analyzing things "properly" in this game because there are many right ways of analyzing things. The problem is people who think that their way of analyzing things is the only way, and they push for unnecessary changes in the game because of it.

Part of analyzing things properly is comparing your analysis to others. You both have the same data, but you will probably reach different conclusions. You compare your conclusion to theirs and attempt to develop a reason as to why there's a difference. Could it be that you're placing more weight certain facts that he is? Or maybe there's a factor that neither of you have considered? You take all of that into account when trying to analyze data.

I agree with your first point to an extent though. Frame data and the like is an important factor when considering potential, but like you said the results have to be there to see how it really is.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
U can look at frame data and statistics all you want but that's not gonna dictate what happens in a match.
Numbers are no small part of what dictates the course of a match. A match is, at its core, a test of how each of you can apply those numbers to work in your favor.

And for the most part, no one is capable of analyzing things "properly" in this game because there are many right ways of analyzing things.
You've got that backwards. There is only one right way, the problem is that everyone's understanding of it is flawed/incomplete. It's a problem that's somewhat related to the concept of donkeyspace, which is also a very relevant consideration in fighting games. Nobody plays 100% optimally due to limitations in understanding and reaction time, so part of truly optimized play is figuring out how to exploit your opponent's tendencies without allowing them to do the same in return.

Refining your theories is a critical part of analysis. It's not a finite process, it's continuous. Communication, taking steps to improve the quality of your information and building on that, all of that is part of the cycle.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
G&W is pretty dumb. don't know if it's people not knowing the MU or if the character is just extremely good, but it's probably both. Mr Lz is in top 3 at paragon right now.

edit: G&W is really just ****ing stupid and mr lz is getting carried

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord

> 5 Years from now
> PM has developed
> Melee Players can't even touch PM players unless they actually put extreme time in
> Extensive tech skill exclusive to PM has become a norm, game is agreed to be more technical then Melee by a significant margin
> Fox still God Tier

NWRL

Smash Ace
GnW is dumb and Lucario is still fantastic even after all of the nerfs, christ.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
The worst part about this **** is that some 13 year old kid is getting $6,000 and has to work .5x as hard as people like Oracle. ****ing stupid

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
you seem to be pretty mad that someone's playing a good character in high level competition

have you considered doing similarly

Top Bottom