• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Marth definitely has losing match ups T.T.

I think he probably loses to Falcon in Melee and in this game Falcon's ability to consistently recover vs Marth is huge on its own. Add in the fact that the stage list is unbelievably good for Falcon and this becomes a legitimate counter.

DK definitely beats Marth and Roy. You guys seem to equate probably lower tier character with not having good match ups ><

Link wins. People sleep on Link way too much. Like this is another legitimate counter.

Ganon wins by a decent bit in this game imo

Pika wins very slightly imo, few buffs to pika in the mu overall and Marth struggles even more to kill him

Dunno enough about other chars to REALLY say but I'd imagine Yoshi (idk what's going on with him in 3.6 tho)/Zard/Kirby/D3(idk about him anymore but he did win) have at least a small advantage. No one is going to agree with me about Kirby but meh. Dunno what all these heavily skewed match ups are besides maybe Bowser/Ness/Snake/maaaaaybe Ivy (disagree on Ivy but that's an undeveloped meta for you). When I see Mario/Luigi/G&W players act like their mu is far from even in any direction it's just silly lol, Mario is like dead even with Mario and G&W is 40-60 vs Marth in Melee according to Qerb. Luigi....gotta set up your utilt somehow and unless the Luigi keeps falling down mashing A like it's vBrawl airdodge it's not going to be that easy. Then, everything Marth does is punishable and Luigi punishes are obviously godlike. I'd buy Marth winning slightly at top level PM but no more.

This all reminds me of a post about 3.02 Mario where it claimed that 3.02 Mario lost 30-70 to 3.02 Marth. 0 chance Marth even won that MU. Like come on guys Marth is pretty good but he whoops ~1 character you think is any good. Yea he can hang with most characters but most characters can hang with him. Anyone familiar with decently high level Melee will tell you that Marth is the one uber top tier that can't just "tier" his way through worse characters and has the most even MU spread of them all by far.

Sorry if I'm way late or this has been beaten to death, not really keeping up with this thread anymore

Ness' punish game seems way too good and potential neutral game trickery (not going to go in depth but it's real) to be absolutely crap. He isn't that good though and SDI mitigates his punish game a decent amount. Also, why does his "kill" throw send so high? Stuff like that, and his struggles with specific match ups he can't punish super hard in and probably magnet should be a little bit faster. A few more little things like that and Ness is pretty darn good and super cool imo
we talked about kirby/marth a bit in the discord, I think pm kirbys dislike the MU because they have to stay grounded and conservative; if kirby jumps or does a bad dash attack he gets punished. I don't think its that horrible for kirby, there are much worse ones. It could shift to either side depending on the stage's platform layout but I think its slightly marth favored.

Sorta unrelated but as someone who tries to main melee GnW, marth is the MU out of the top tiers I look forward too the most. You lose the Dash dance game and can't shield anything and die from tipper at 40, but your DD game isn't that much worse than marths and if you catch him sleeping once, GnW's stagger game vs marth's defensive game is great. No real opinion on the PM MU, honestly other than dash distance, PM GnW's movement feels much worse than melee's, it lacks the fluidity that melee GnW empty jump wavelands back has

I think diddy beats marth. Marth players consistently zero to deathing diddy off a grab doesn't mean much to me because diddy can to it to marth right back, and I think diddy has a clear edge in neutral. Comparable dash dance distances (Actually the same DD>dtilt game except marth's is disjointed) but bananas just throw a huge wrench into marth's DD space control. Diddy can still play the DD>dtilt game with marth while holding a banana too, while within that spacing battle, glide toss's are unreactable and diddy always is at advantage unless marth had hard read it or happened to be doing a WD back at that moment. If it hits marth its a grab/dtilt>grab/combo, which diddy can just roll with into his godlike stagger game or depending on stage/platforms just death combo him or carry him off stage for a gimp (diddy can marth slayer really easily too). If marth shielded it expecting to shield a Dtilt from diddy (which you can't shield grab without perfect timing without getting dash back baired or punished with glide toss), diddy is at frame advantage as long as the banana traveled in the air for more than 3-5 frames (depending on the direction of the throw). frame advantage at a distance+character stuck in shield are very good situations for diddy to be in. Marth also can't jump vs diddy if diddy has a banana in hand without getting tripped, while diddy can jump with less risk because wavebounce popgun and AGTs drastically and quickly changing jump paths. Its definitely not a slaughter from either side, but I think diddy has a clear advantage in neutral and stagger game when he has a banana in hand, and when he doesn't its not even that favored to marth.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Marth definitely has losing match ups T.T.

I think he probably loses to Falcon in Melee and in this game Falcon's ability to consistently recover vs Marth is huge on its own. Add in the fact that the stage list is unbelievably good for Falcon and this becomes a legitimate counter.

DK definitely beats Marth and Roy. You guys seem to equate probably lower tier character with not having good match ups ><

Link wins. People sleep on Link way too much. Like this is another legitimate counter.

Ganon wins by a decent bit in this game imo

Pika wins very slightly imo, few buffs to pika in the mu overall and Marth struggles even more to kill him

Dunno enough about other chars to REALLY say but I'd imagine Yoshi (idk what's going on with him in 3.6 tho)/Zard/Kirby/D3(idk about him anymore but he did win) have at least a small advantage. No one is going to agree with me about Kirby but meh. Dunno what all these heavily skewed match ups are besides maybe Bowser/Ness/Snake/maaaaaybe Ivy (disagree on Ivy but that's an undeveloped meta for you). When I see Mario/Luigi/G&W players act like their mu is far from even in any direction it's just silly lol, Mario is like dead even with Marth and G&W is 40-60 vs Marth in Melee according to Qerb. Luigi....gotta set up your utilt somehow and unless the Luigi keeps falling down mashing A like it's vBrawl airdodge it's not going to be that easy. Then, everything Marth does is punishable and Luigi punishes are obviously godlike. I'd buy Marth winning slightly at top level PM but no more.

This all reminds me of a post about 3.02 Mario where it claimed that 3.02 Mario lost 30-70 to 3.02 Marth. 0 chance Marth even won that MU. Like come on guys Marth is pretty good but he whoops ~1 character you think is any good. Yea he can hang with most characters but most characters can hang with him. Anyone familiar with decently high level Melee will tell you that Marth is the one uber top tier that can't just "tier" his way through worse characters and has the most even MU spread of them all by far.

Sorry if I'm way late or this has been beaten to death, not really keeping up with this thread anymore

Ness' punish game seems way too good and potential neutral game trickery (not going to go in depth but it's real) to be absolutely crap. He isn't that good though and SDI mitigates his punish game a decent amount. Also, why does his "kill" throw send so high? Stuff like that, and his struggles with specific match ups he can't punish super hard in and probably magnet should be a little bit faster. A few more little things like that and Ness is pretty darn good and super cool imo
Regarding Marth, yeah you're pretty late, LOL. Shane kind of addressed a lot of the MUs. Sora said that he believes Ganon is in Marth's favor, interestingly enough.

Also, I 100% agree with Kirby. When I said earlier in the thread that Kirby has niche uses, I was alluding to his weird strengths against characters like Marth and Sheik.

As far as Ness goes, yeah, his punish game is pretty strong, but his problem is eventually converting to a kill, tbh. He has some of the weaker kill moves in the games so he can't really kill from center stage like a lot of other characters. I agree about his throw. I don't think magnet being sped up is the answer though. His dair doing 1 less percent and his bair doing 1 more are a good start.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I think his F-Smash tipper and his Lightning Kick are great kill moves... the problem is that he has so few reliable ways to lead into them.

Adding on to Kirby's niche, I think he also does fairly well against Snake and Ike.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Oli is good, though. Still don't get low tier placings. Maybe due lack of tournament rep?

If Oli grabs you, you're eating 50%+ and will possibly be in an edgeguard situation (Uair juggles to Fair/Bair, Dthrow into Fair, Dtilt or another grab, which leads into more stuff, PURPLE PIKMIN SLIDE FOLLOW UPS ARE GODLIKE really, if you get hit, it's a follow up. You shield? I hope you have good OoS options, else I get a follow up). Oh, Oli also has arguably the best edgeguarding tool in the game in Fsmash (and Purple Toss, too). Covers people recovering low (and eats Ness's PK Thunder) and lasts forever until it hits the ground. It also covers a part of the stage when on a platform, so it's great for neutral as well. Pikmin Toss also helps neutral and forces reactions or gives free damage. And more.

Of course, he has bad points. Easily edgeguarded because of a predictable angle on his recovery and a nerfed stall means that an edge guard on Oli usually means a dead one. He has losing MUs against spacies due his projectile insta losing against theirs. He lacks the speed or aerial mobility to deal with characters with better range and are capable of getting latched Pikmin off quickly, so characters like Roy, Marth and Ike tend to be hard to deal with (he combos the hell out of em though).

I'd like to hear why people think he's lower-mid/low tier still, because his onstage game has gotten better and his recovery is now reliable but worse (but half the cast is characterized by this, lol).

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Oli is good, though. Still don't get low tier placings. Maybe due lack of tournament rep?

If Oli grabs you, you're eating 50%+ and will possibly be in an edgeguard situation (Uair juggles to Fair/Bair, Dthrow into Fair, Dtilt or another grab, which leads into more stuff, PURPLE PIKMIN SLIDE FOLLOW UPS ARE GODLIKE really, if you get hit, it's a follow up. You shield? I hope you have good OoS options, else I get a follow up). Oh, Oli also has arguably the best edgeguarding tool in the game in Fsmash (and Purple Toss, too). Covers people recovering low (and eats Ness's PK Thunder) and lasts forever until it hits the ground. It also covers a part of the stage when on a platform, so it's great for neutral as well. Pikmin Toss also helps neutral and forces reactions or gives free damage. And more.

Of course, he has bad points. Easily edgeguarded because of a predictable angle on his recovery and a nerfed stall means that an edge guard on Oli usually means a dead one. He has losing MUs against spacies due his projectile insta losing against theirs. He lacks the speed or aerial mobility to deal with characters with better range and are capable of getting latched Pikmin off quickly, so characters like Roy, Marth and Ike tend to be hard to deal with (he combos the hell out of em though).

I'd like to hear why people think he's lower-mid/low tier still, because his onstage game has gotten better and his recovery is now reliable but worse (but half the cast is characterized by this, lol).
People think Oli is low or mid-low simply because nobody plays Oli. It's a simple matter of people basically just not understanding him and his options. He just needs more representation is all.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
pro tip. if no one uses him, no one sees potential

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
One of the problems with Olimar, is that you have to juggle your Pikmin types while also playing the game. So you put in a ton of extra work just to play the same as other characters.

The fact he has probably the worst recovery in the game isn't really helping people pick him up either.

Even if we kept his Ionium jet as terrible as it is, could we make it have a little more control? Lack of control is a really good way to have a move that feels awful to use. The fact the ISA on his neutral B was increased didn't help him in the recovery department either.

His onstage game kinda scares me though.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Give Olimar ROB boosts. For balance. That would be a good character

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Don't forget to take 2 weight off and make him fall faster. :p
If they do it enough times, ROB could be a mid weight fast-faller :/

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Does anyone have an idea of a possible tier list of Turbo Mode characters?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
1. Toon link
2-40. everyone but olimar
41. Olimar

D

Deleted member

The idea behind the weight nerf was that it would give more characters the opportunity to combo him super hard, making it easier to play against him. however I correctly predicted that the weight change wouldn't change that and lo and behold, i was right as usual. in all the matches i've played with rob, there was only one instance where the weight change made a tangible difference, which was dakpo hitting me with an up b to nair that I would have been able to jump out of in 3.5. it really makes his existing bad matchups even worse but doesn't really affect his even/good matchups with the rest of the cast
Actually, I went back and checked ROBs files in 3.6

The weight and terminal velocity changes weren't properly applied, hes still 1.65 terminal velocity, 2.4 ff terminal velocity, and 106 weight

P L A C E B O B O Y S (also yes this means DF went into LTC3 with a 3.5 physics ROB, the DT truly ****ed up on this one)

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
pro tip. if no one uses him, no one sees potential
Nah, people don't use him simply because he's an oddball, or solely because his recovery is still questionable. Olimar on-stage is actually pretty incredible and he has an insane amount of versatility and options due to the Pikmin's different uses.

I've yet to actually win a set against the top 5 in Dallas with him (mostly because 99% of my time has gone to ZSS), but I have gotten very close to taking sets or games off of Lunchables, Strongbad, and Oracle with him. Yeah, a loss isn't a W no matter how close it is, but I think it says something for a character I really haven't been practicing and that has arguably the worst recovery in the game.

One day, everyone will see the light; Olimar is top tier.
(Not really, but seriously he's super underrated. )

The weight and terminal velocity changes weren't properly applied, hes still 1.65 terminal velocity, 2.4 ff terminal velocity, and 106 weight

P L A C E B O B O Y S (also yes this means DF went into LTC3 with a 3.5 physics ROB, the DT truly ****ed up on this one)
Really? Like, this isn't a joke? There's hope? ROB will eventually be able to be combo'd?!

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
Lol wouldnt have to worry about the placebo if the DT didnt **** something up (as usual)

I still maintain that the weight change wont make much of a difference besides forcing rob mains to relearn the same combos/timings theyve been using forever for no reason (aka pretty much the worst thing you could do in game design). Stuff like that getting changed is exactly why its hard for me to care about PM in a serious context

D

Deleted member

Lol wouldnt have to worry about the placebo if the DT didnt **** something up (as usual)

I still maintain that the weight change wont make much of a difference besides forcing rob mains to relearn the same combos/timings theyve been using forever for no reason (aka pretty much the worst thing you could do in game design). Stuff like that getting changed is exactly why its hard for me to care about PM in a serious context
Changing ROBs weight doesn't mean his combos are different, it means the combos the opponents use vs him are different. The options that ROB chooses with the weight and terminal velocity changes are all the same, he doesn't have to relearn things. He chooses the same options, he just obtains a harder punish when he puts himself in what would normally be a poor position.

In the long run, the changes will be very positive for the character. His core concept means he can just completely avoid poor positioning, the only real way to fix him is make his fall speed higher so he plays the same video game. ROB basically missed the 3.5 cleanup deadline along with other characters

Really? Like, this isn't a joke? There's hope? ROB will eventually be able to be combo'd?!
Yeah, I'm not joking. When I found out I popped so many blood vessels

Last edited by a moderator:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh so they actually forgot to put ROB on the Atkins Diet this patch. I'll spare the salt, to save him from high oil pressure at least

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

I was wondering why it didn't feel like that big of a change, I thought maybe 1.65->2.0 fall speed really wasn't as big a change as I thought and the lack of gravity change (acceleration before fall speed, which was never even meant to be changed unlike the terminal velocity change which was meant to be and messed up) meant I should usually not notice it except when hit or falling long distances (full hop, recovering without stalling, etc). But no, the change just wasn't made lol. There was only one time I was convinced it made a difference, when denti got a solarbeam on me as a I fell back downward from like a dthrow while in hitstun. Guess that was just a real thing lol.

gj pmdt 10/10

Funny thing is, I had been thinking about suggesting additional changes to ROB be made to curb his combo escape ability because it still felt really strong. And I feel like that will be the case even after his fall speed is properly changed; there will still be a lot of times to try to jump out of combos, and ROB just gets more from jumping out of combos than most characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's actually pretty easy to fix, since they're just static values in each characters file

this will probably go down as one of the biggest mistakes in pm history (not quite 2.5 sonic level though)

yeah once this is fixed in what I assume will be the bug fix, ROB will be a lot more tolerable to fight against. I still wanted to pull my hair out fighting vs oracle at IaB this past week, and I guess heres why lol

Last edited by a moderator:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
1.65 --> 2.0 is pretty significant. Lucario and Ganon are 2.0 fall speed I believe. So thats like going from Luigi to Ganon.
Ganon with 2-way jetpack tho, so it's not that bad

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
1.65 --> 2.0 is pretty significant. Lucario and Ganon are 2.0 fall speed I believe. So thats like going from Luigi to Ganon.
luigi isn't close to ROB lol his gravity is way lower, and ganon would have higher gravity than ROB still I believe
so it wouldn't be going from luigi to ganon, it would be going from faster falling luigi to slightly floatier ganon
it's a comparison that gives no valuable information

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

tl;dr rob will be more fun to fight against

now we just wait for bugfix (or we all just play project meme bcuz its a better game)

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
lol im just curious how the change didn't make it in when it's supposedly just changing a couple numbers in a file.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418

PMDT just bodied my day

D

Deleted member

lol im just curious how the change didn't make it in when it's supposedly just changing a couple numbers in a file.
Could've just been someone over wrote the original file that had the attribute changes and they never checked again

They continuously make changes to characters with multiple different builds, wouldn't be surprised if the ROB with the actual changes was accidentally saved over sometime during development.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.

I

just

fu

I CAN'T QUIT THIS GAME TWICE BUT I AM ****ING TEMPTED TO TRY

Top Bottom